Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

True ES First Person

Comments

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by pb1285n
    What a vague response. He never said that you wouldn't see your hands and weapon when it gets released, he simply said as it stand right now which implies that it could change. He also says they are working on it which makes sense since the game is in development.

I don't think true first person is out of the question, and will probably come down to fan feedback and if they have the time and resources.

Don't be naive, you know it's not going to change.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Vannor

Third person..? first person? Doesn't matter to me. Everything about the game, any game, is the same regardless of how we view it. If Gears of War was in first person.. it'd be exactly the same.. it's just easier to effectively use cover and such in third person. I see no reason why either viewing mode would affect gameplay in TESO. Third person just makes more sense overall because then you can see what is attacking you from all angles.

Anyway, I like to see my armor that I work so hard to get in RPG's.. I always wished the third person animations in ES games were better so I could use it instead.

Well it matters to some of us.  Particularly when you know the developer has done his testing in third person.  As a left-hander in a dominantly right-handed world I am often confronted by things with a right-handed bias.  Right-handers never see this and some times even find it hard to grasp the difficulty until it is carefully explained to them.

Games can be like this too.  Things like you go up to an NPC with that ! over his head and click him and nothing appears to happen.  Then you pull back to third person and the chat bubble appears.  Same thing happens with a lot of ground spawn objects, trivial to click in third person almost impossible in first person.  Lots and lots of places, not just encounters.  As to the playing in "blinkers" argument, as I said above there are ways of indicating something is just outside of your field of view (real world peripheral vision) and you should  turn your head and look.  As to being "jumped" from behind, surely that should be a possibility, it is in real life.

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Elder Scrolls Online won’t include the series’ traditional first-person perspective

“The main difference here is that in an online RPG, enemies can spawn in a 360 degree radius around you, especially in PvP,” Frior told Digital Spy. “So third-person view mode, if you use it, will give you a far greater ability to see enemies behind you. In many situations, this will be the difference between living and not surviving a combat sequence.”

Let me decide when its appropraite to use 3rd person and first peson. Don't "asume" that players cant handle their surroundings in first person. Make a fast swap between them and then leave it to the player.

That is a BS copout excuse.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• walltarwalltar Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by WellzyC

They already changet it once ... there were no plans for 1st person. They added 1st person because people demanded it.

Originally posted by walltar

They already changet it once ... there were no plans for 1st person. They added 1st person because people demanded it.

So they have added a first person view option to a third person play game.  Good luck with that.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Dihoru

Situational awarness = first person with a good mini-map.

Examples:

Sniping Mode World of Tanks.

Cockpit view World of Warplanes.

Examples:  World of Tanks:  Stupid team mates who run into other teammates.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• pb1285npb1285n Member Posts: 505

Originally posted by pb1285n
    What a vague response. He never said that you wouldn't see your hands and weapon when it gets released, he simply said as it stand right now which implies that it could change. He also says they are working on it which makes sense since the game is in development.

I don't think true first person is out of the question, and will probably come down to fan feedback and if they have the time and resources.

Don't be naive, they'll do whatever makes the most business sense. If they decide the pay off of adding true first person view exceeds the added effort, then you'll see it in game.
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Wait!

If my character has an enormous nose, I won't be able to see it in first person view?

Where's the immersion?

• TokenaruTokenaru Member Posts: 58
           Either way, im over it.  I wont be bothering with a title that does the same thing as my current mmorpg does except probably considerably less.  No innovation=no retention.  The mmorpg market is rough, if you dont stand out in the crowd you get forgotten.  Going with whats "safe" is just going to cause more issues.  I really think they should offer both first person immersion and 3rd person choices and just find a way to bridge the screen info in first person to allow the same "Awareness"(i think this is a joke) that third person does.  They said they didnt want to clunk up thier user interface and make the game feel more reactive, well for me thats first person mode.  Id rather somthing sneak up behind me and kill me because I didnt look around first then see it coming with some sort of mystical out of body experience.  This is just personal preference and this is where im leaving this title untill I hear more information to the contrary. 
    Originally posted by Tokenaru
           Either way, im over it.  I wont be bothering with a title that does the same thing as my current mmorpg does except probably considerably less.  No innovation=no retention.  The mmorpg market is rough, if you dont stand out in the crowd you get forgotten.  Going with whats "safe" is just going to cause more issues.  I really think they should offer both first person immersion and 3rd person choices and just find a way to bridge the screen info in first person to allow the same "Awareness"(i think this is a joke) that third person does.  They said they didnt want to clunk up thier user interface and make the game feel more reactive, well for me thats first person mode.  Id rather somthing sneak up behind me and kill me because I didnt look around first then see it coming with some sort of mystical out of body experience.  This is just personal preference and this is where im leaving this title untill I hear more information to the contrary. 

I just loved the line "I would rather somthing sneak up behind me and kill me because I didnt look around first, than see it coming with some sort of mystical out of body experience. "

This is it in a nutshell, do you want a virtual "action figure" to play with or do you want to role play?

Do you know what i fear? .... That people would start demanding more and more ... first it was 1st person view, now it is "true" 1st person view and in future it will be "No 3rd person view, because we (1st person pros) are killed by 3rd person noobs" image
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Karteli

Situational awaeness doesn't really mean much in single players games or single player MMO's for that matter, like TESO.

However, I could see 3rd person being superior in TESO's instanced PVP battles, but for just wandering around in PVE mode, not so much .. unless you just want this game to feel like every other game.

ES did have a fun 1st person mechanic, and I forsee many fans buying the game without reading up on it (just by brand recognition), only to start blogging, "what the hell is this crap?" .. hehe

You're being purposefully analphabetic right? While I'm saying nothing of the quality of this games PVP, it's PVP takes center stage.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

I think they should've designed the game for 1st person view and then made a 3rd person view.  The 3rd person view should share the same "line of sight" as FPV,  meaning you couldn't see behind you in either view ~ There would be a fog of war type thing in TPV that prevented you from seeing enemies outside the view point of a FPV player.  This sounds aweful to restrict TPV but it could've tied into the stealth system very nicely.

Originally posted by sapphen

I think they should've designed the game for 1st person view and then made a 3rd person view.  The 3rd person view should share the same "line of sight" as FPV,  meaning you couldn't see behind you in either view ~ There would be a fog of war type thing in TPV that prevented you from seeing enemies outside the view point of a FPV player.  This sounds aweful to restrict TPV but it could've tied into the stealth system very nicely.

Yep i too think that they should doom this game to fail ... image

• maddog15amaddog15a Member UncommonPosts: 83

So basicly if you zoom in enough your character disappears and makes it look like your seeing what your character is seeing.....

Um how is this anything special lots mmos let you do this, its not really first person.  This is becoming a problem with TESO, the developers keep useing telling us stuff but really not telling us anything at all.  Its not good when company wont just be straight up with you about there product.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by MaxJac
    I wander how many ES players use third versus first in the single player games. I suspect overwhelmingly first. I wouldn't mind an MMO that did just first. It would mean it would have to be the quality that makes it so good in Bethesda titles.

First person view only in mmoprg? I wouldnt play that game even if it had the best gameplay, content, pvp, pve in the world.

Watching my character with his shiny awesome armor and weapon on the back while exploring, running, fighting is FAR too important !!!!!

Do you know what i fear? .... That people would start demanding more and more ... first it was 1st person view, now it is "true" 1st person view and in future it will be "No 3rd person view, because we (1st person pros) are killed by 3rd person noobs" image

Well actually I, and others, have always asked for first person MMORPGs.  That has always meant no third person view. This is not a new request nor is it some sort of slippery slope.  We (that is the players that want first person view) have always wanted third person view to go away, at least in some games.

Originally posted by Dogblaster
    I wander how many ES players use third versus first in the single player games. I suspect overwhelmingly first. I wouldn't mind an MMO that did just first. It would mean it would have to be the quality that makes it so good in Bethesda titles.

First person view only in mmoprg? I wouldnt play that game even if it had the best gameplay, content, pvp, pve in the world.

Watching my character with his shiny awesome armor and weapon on the back while exploring, running, fighting is FAR too important !!!!!

Well I guess that puts you firmly in the "virtual action figure" camp.  I just hope I am missing your sarcasm.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Yep i too think that they should doom this game to fail ... image

Dude that would rock, you dont know what you're talking about.

Anyways I think they should add arms & weapons down the road and then have "FPV only" Cyrodiil campaigns.  That way the people who want to play FPV could do so with others and not worry about the advantages of TPV.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

Really? What is this nonsense I have been reading in articles then saying TESO will be very Skyrim-like in terms of combat, and now suddenly it was never intended to have first person (again?), for some of the weakest excuses I have ever heard, from a development team known for making weak excuses? What's next, tab targetting?

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

I play ES in 3rd person view. Only shift to first when using my bow.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

This is how a game with both 1st person and 3rd person should handle it.

Originally posted by immodium

I play ES in 3rd person view. Only shift to first when using my bow.

Me too ... idon't like playing in 1st person at all.

Originally posted by Maelwydd

This is how a game with both 1st person and 3rd person should handle it.

No it shouldn't. If you want to be limited by lame 1st person, be ma guest. But please don't limit others only because you have some issues with 3rd person. 3rd person is good as it is.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

No 1st person combat w/ real time attacking/blocking where I can see my hands/weapon/shield etc. mean I am not buying TESO.

Thanks Zenimax for clearing that up for me.

And if other players get to use 3rd person and get a perspective/viewing advantage over me using 1st person, once again Thank You Zenimax for letting me know exactly why I'm not buying your game.

Elder Scrolls is open world sandbox single player RPG.

Shouldn't have ever been even attempted to be made into a MMO.

And this is exactly why.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Lol... TES is a sandbox? Really...? Wow...