Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THIS NEW TESO news is going to shock you all, literally.

Comments

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by archeageking

Get ready for those of you who is waiting on TESO, todays new info just literally shocked me like really really really shocked me.

Get ready, drum rolls please.............ITS ITS http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/zenimax-gets-vocal-about-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Elder scrolls will have full voice overs, DEJA VU anyone ?? ANYONE? someone didnt learn a lesson from swtor, its  a sad sa  sad sad news. i know you all must be shocked and disbelived right about now....

me too.

im sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

You terribly failed at shocking the world :-)

Shocking news would be voice overs with cutscenes and multiple choice.

In fact voice overs are cool if you can just walk away.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421

Get ready for those of you who is waiting on TESO, todays new info just literally shocked me like really really really shocked me.

Get ready, drum rolls please.............ITS ITS http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/zenimax-gets-vocal-about-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Elder scrolls will have full voice overs, DEJA VU anyone ?? ANYONE? someone didnt learn a lesson from swtor, its  a sad sa  sad sad news. i know you all must be shocked and disbelived right about now....

me too.

seriously by your logic any game using the spacebar as a control to jump shoud be a fail game.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by Rhonen
    Originally posted by m0lly
    Originally posted by achesoma
    It's not the VO that's bothersome, it's the neverending cutscenes.  I'm more concerned about the half-life of instanced/phased all to hell "megaserver" and single zone pvp.

single zone pvp is only way to make this work and keep players hooked, we all swa what was the outcome warhammer online every map pvp areas, that was doomed idea straight from the start. and battlegrounds are in some other games let them be there.

one pvp zone where factions colladie like every week is the best idea i can think of to keep it intrested.

And yet this is what the PvP'ers have been asking for all this time.

Ratero.

well its a doomed idea , born in grave , pvpers dont know what they asking. dont know what they really want either.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

me too.

On the contrary.thanks for the good news..i was not a fan of SWTOR..but when i played it there was one thing that stood out and that was the class stories..if they are doing this i,m more than happy.i fully expect them to make the game a  lot better than what swtor was.so all in all a happy chappy i am.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    The bigger waste of money and time is trying to make a 1st person view where you see your hands for the few that are crying about wanting it in the game which they will never use after they see that its worse than playing it in 3rd person.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I'm not surprised, really. I'm more and more convinced this game will be nothing more than three single player campaigns, one for each faction, and then RvR at the middle of the continent. I hope i'm wrong but if this really is the case then VO's fit just fine to the picture.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

SWTOR had voiceovers and TESO is going to have voiceovers therefore SWTOR = TESO ?

Your logic...it fails

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's not the VO that's bothersome, it's the neverending cutscenes.  I'm more concerned about the half-life of instanced/phased all to hell "megaserver" and single zone pvp.

single zone pvp is only way to make this work and keep players hooked, we all swa what was the outcome warhammer online every map pvp areas, that was doomed idea straight from the start. and battlegrounds are in some other games let them be there.

one pvp zone where factions colladie like every week is the best idea i can think of to keep it intrested.

Ratero.

well its a doomed idea , born in grave , pvpers dont know what they asking. dont know what they really want either.

And that's why PVPers fit right in this nest of developer wannabes.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Last I checked every Elder scrolls had pretty much every npc voiced.. I don't see the issue here. Do you complain about it when playing oblivion? or skyrim? no, so why bitch about it in TESO? As long as the scenes are skipable (because no real mmo player gives a shit about why this random npc needs me to kill 6 bigs), Honestly they should just drop the voice acting and probally save a million or 2 in dev costs. Hardly any mmo's have voice overs and no one has really complained at all about it. I just hope they don't pull a swtor because i'll be honest, the storylines in TES games is about as intersting as watching dog shit ferment on the sidewalk. Oblivion was stupid, skyrim was even worse(shity story and a shit place it took place in.). Also swtor/tsw pretty much proved that mmo's with a story do not work well. Should only be 1 hero in a game, when every tom dick and jane can be the hero in a mmorpg it loses its purpose.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86

Its going to have the same amount of voice acting as Morrowwind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, and if you played any of those you'd know where their developmental  focus was(the rest of the game)

twitch.tv/boonmackle

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by atuerstar

Full voice overs are not a problem.

Spending absurd amounts of money, the lions share of your budget, on actors for voice overs is a problem. I love reading a good book as the next bibliophile but games have changed. The audience of modern games is one that appreciates the ease, and feels more immersion, from voice overs.

Either they spend a lot of money on good voice acting and thus other parts of the game suffers or they spend less money on crappy voice overs which mean you will get annoyed by it because it is so bad and actually lower immersion.

Either way, this is bad news. But then again not much about this game is good news...

Originally posted by Ryowulf

Here is what we know about full voice over useage.

It cost money.

It takes time or at least more time than doing text.

The time part shouldn't be a big deal in development. They should have a VO team and lots of space before release.  I don't know what happens later when they want to add content and have a smaller team, less time and money.  How many quests has Tor added? How much higher is the level cap? How much more personal story is there since launch?

The money is the big question.  On the one hand, Tor sold more games and made more cash because of voice acting, so it may have paid for itself.  Here is the thing, a game has a budget.  Its like if I have a pie to share with my friends.  If I give half of the pie to one friend the rest will be getting less.  Even if I get more pie later all I have is that one right now.

I don't know how much of the budget is going towards full VO, but the more it costs the less everyone else gets.  Does anyone disagree?

We will have to trust that the Devs know what they are doing.  I am more concerned about locked factions/races really.  There is enough going on that I won't be pre-ordering without playing or reading detailed reviews about the game first.

yeah, especally how shit Elder scrolls stories tend to be, I love the gameplay but the plotlines are so bad most of the time. I am also worried about race locking to certan factions, that issue alone makes me alot less interested in the game, I'd rather it be like skyrim, where there are the main races in the faction (in skyrim its nords) but they will accept other races into their faction. Especally when humans got paired up with the fugly orcs.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

or

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Acidon

me too.

If they are on the same level as those in TSW, I welcome them warmly.

Just because sweater sucked balls doesn't mean VOs are terrible.  /bonk

ha ha best post of the day. quoted for truth

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by Yamota

Spending absurd amounts of money, the lions share of your budget, on actors for voice overs is a problem. I love reading a good book as the next bibliophile but games have changed. The audience of modern games is one that appreciates the ease, and feels more immersion, from voice overs.

Either they spend a lot of money on good voice acting and thus other parts of the game suffers or they spend less money on crappy voice overs which mean you will get annoyed by it because it is so bad and actually lower immersion.

Either way, this is bad news. But then again not much about this game is good news...

Either way, any real mmorpg player is just going to skip the VO anyway and just fast forward thru the text, its even more of a reason why they should just not waste money on a full voice over, maybe do voice for the main storyline, but thats it.

or

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

maybe this will convice those that this is truly a higly modified hero engine. it does this type of thing on the fly and they crank out content with it so, about time. soon they will have to fess up. i know the one intreview people keep throwing at me still tells me this is hero Engine. great for them, it's a much more robust engine now then SW:TOR has/had.

VO is awesome stuff live with it.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

Ratero.

That is because there is no such thing as 'PvPers' no more than there are PvEers. The fact is that both these groups are a diverse bunch and you cannot say 'what they want' because they are ... diverse.

I like PvP but I want non-instanced PvP in open world with consequences and medium death penalties. Ask another person who likes MMO PvP and he will probably want something else.

Originally posted by Siveria
    Originally posted by Yamota

Either way, any real mmorpg player is just going to skip the VO anyway and just fast forward thru the text, its even more of a reason why they should just not waste money on a full voice over, maybe do voice for the main storyline, but thats it.

Well I dont even want a 'main storyline' in an MMO so as far as I am concerned they can get rid of VO completely.

MMOs should be about player interaction. Not following stupid non consequential storylines and NPC VOs. That is why this game will be yet another failed, cookie cutter, big budget ThemePark MMO.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

me too.

SWTOR was fine for most people who left, it was once they reached the end of the story and found out that endgame pve was a buggy bore and endgame pvp was broken...that people started to leave.  Hell they never even tried to fix ilum they just moved on kida..and ilum was a huge draw for a lot of players.

Im glad they are doing full voice over...if the storytelling is good, which i have no doubt that these guy can deliver, then i know for a fact ill at least get a month of enjoyment out of it...which to me is worth a box price, will i sub long into endgame?  Might not such things only become known once you get there.

I mean lets be honest with ourselves for once...does it really matter what the endgame is anymore? people are just going to race there and find out its all the same as the last game they played, rage and get emotional, claim the game to be a failure, and repeate the process with the next big launch.

We should all know this by now.

Back on SWTOR...one of the very few themeparks where i managed to get more than one character to max level...typically im bored to tears with the entire game the first run through...yeah endgame was the fail with swtor....but the voice over and story imo made the game at least playable up until endgame.

But to the OP who now thinks any game with voice overs is doomed....based on one other example of a game that had both voice overs and didnt do too hot past launch...ignoring the reason the game sucked had nothing to do with voice overs.....my comments about what i think of your thought process would get me in trouble with the moderator gestapo.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

I wouldn't be too worried, they aren;t claiming to be revolutionizing MMORPG with a new "pillar" of gameplay.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2009/06/01/e3-2009-star-wars-the-old-republic-is-worlds-first-fully-voi/

It will be interesting to see how big the Beta download will be.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I agree with the cutscenes being bothersome but didn't find any info that the voiceovers where packed into cutscene's only found that the game will have full VO's, VO's are nothing really new to The Elder Scrolls.

So I find it quite strange that OP is shocked about something thats actually already part of the series and hopefully be expand on.

Of course I would be in "shock" if the game wouldn't have voice overs. Cause I don't know why they should leave something out of their MMO when it's already in their singleplayer games. Again if the VO's are tided into a cutscene then I mght be worried.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I will not avoid it due to it, but it doesn't add much for me, and the worry would be that having to make cut scenes and voice overs for new content, when themeparks already suffer from adding content too slow, does this slow it down further?

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    I'm not quite sure I understand some of you. You ask for the developers to stay as true as possible to the Elder Scrolls franchise, yet when they announce that the game is fully voiced, you complain? I don't remember encountering any wall of text when interacting with NPC's in Skyrim or Oblivion.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Voice Acting was't a SWToR issue..  For those who liked the game I would venture to guess it was more about reaching top level and having nothing to do other than "leveling another character."

Additionally, it seems that there was bad managment given the resources available to develop the game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154
    as long as spacebar skips im good :3

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

anyway i just saw it on the headline today, i woudl buy eso but now with voice overs i dont think i will now. 

only because i got burned by swtor, it will not be a day 1 purchase for me. Had i never knew they were going to put full voice overs in the game i would probably buy it the day its released, but this news im not so sure now, big chance its not a day 1 purchase fo me. i will sit on the side line and see how it goes.

This implies that you think the voice overs were the reason TOR didn't last or wasn't good for you.  I loved the voice overs, but everything else was pretty shallow.   The only really bad thing about the voice over stories in TOR is that I don't think they will ever expand the class quests because of the costs associated with it.  Which is a shame because that was the best part of the game.

This discussion has been closed.