Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Applications for Annual G.I.R.L. Scholarships Being Accepted

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment has opened the current year's application process for its G.I.R.L. Scholarship program. G.I.R.L. (Gamers in Real Life) encourages women to apply and ultimately awards a $10,000 scholarship to recipients. Applications will be accepted through March 29th.

"At SOE, we believe that diversity is one of our keys to success and it is truly woven into the fabric of who we are as a company," said Laura Naviaux, Senior Vice President of Global Sales & Marketing, Sony Online Entertainment. "We want to help make the games industry even that much more approachable and our goal with the G.I.R.L. Scholarship is to provide an easy way to usher even more women into the industry."

Check out the G.I.R.L. Scholarship site for more information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    Cheesy logo, cheesy name. SOE should try harder.

Hi

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Jayaris

Cheesy post. 

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Grunty

Cheesy post. 

Cheesy reply.

So attempting to bring women into a male dominated business is also cheesy?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Maybe send a few to school to study graphic design instead of game design?

Just snark based on that website, of course. Yet, they are seeking concept artists...curious.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

Wow, how sexist is this..

I should form a men's rights movement.  *ponder*

I kid.. mostly.

Best of luck, ladies. =)

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308

Cheesy post. 

Cheesy reply.

I never said the intent was cheesy to begin with. I said that SOE should try harder.

Calling your scholarship GIRL and having a low-budget site and a terrible logo really doesn't scream to me that SOE are trying hard to promote gender equality through the gaming business. Fuck, if anything it furthers steroeotyping. 

Applaud SOE for a piss poor effort if you like, I wont. 

Hi

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Calling your scholarship GIRL and having a low-budget site and a terrible logo really doesn't scream to me that SOE are trying hard to promote gender equality through the gaming business. Fuck, if anything it furthers steroeotyping. 

Would gender equality not mean both genders had an equal opertunity? This is gender discrimination as it excludes men and this is pointless. Women have has many changes to join gaming-development type of education as man or am I wrong here? No educational system will tell them to leave because they are female? Maybe companies do not hire them as fast as men, but this scholarship would not help in that regard.

I would have prefered to have seen this money go to someone who needs it regardless of sex. Someone who might actually become a good programmer one day. Who cares what the sex of the person is! It's there money though and I wish the people who participate the best of luck. 

and Gamers in Real Life? What the hell does that even mean? As in they are not virtual girls or they only play board games opposed to computer games. :/

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409
    Originally posted by Coman

Would gender equality not mean both genders had an equal opertunity? This is gender discrimination as it excludes men and this is pointless. Women have has many changes to join gaming-development type of education as man or am I wrong here? No educational system will tell them to leave because they are female? Maybe companies do not hire them as fast as men, but this scholarship would not help in that regard.

I would have prefered to have seen this money go to someone who needs it regardless of sex. Someone who might actually become a good programmer one day. Who cares what the sex of the person is! It's there money though and I wish the people who participate the best of luck. 

and Gamers in Real Life? What the hell does that even mean? As in they are not virtual girls or they only play board games opposed to computer games. :/

I don't think its about equality, its about business.  Women are increasingly a big part of the gaming market, it makes sense to have them making the games as well.  More females developing games would likely help them reach those gamers by producing games they want to play.  I expect it would be a good thing for all players really, more talented developers from different perspectives can't hurt.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Cheesy post. 

Cheesy reply.

You need to spend more time on reddit.  

• pieholepiehole Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Maybe more women developing games are the answer to get out of the stagnant evolve in thegames. Many complaints about the lack of variety.
  • xBarachielxxBarachielx Member Posts: 15
    Gotta love PR that plays into leftist engineered propaganda.
  • ErifNevowErifNevow Member Posts: 97
    Am I the only one who hates rewarding minorities for being minorities? I am disabled, legally speaking at least (even eligible for a handicap parking pass), and still hate things like this. I am all for equality, don't get me wrong, but I don't get why things like this need to exist.

Newb= Newly Enrolled Wannabe Badass.

• BaowoulfBaowoulf Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Acidon

Wow, how sexist is this..

I should form a men's rights movement.  *ponder*

I kid.. mostly.

Best of luck, ladies. =)

I agree. Only becaues I hate things that are like this even if it was men only I'd still find it annoying. It's too targeted for my tastes. But just like Acidon said good luck to those women who could use a scholarship, you never know one of those women could help make the next kickass game you love to play.

Note: I'm all for women in gaming in fact I'd think rather highly of a girl who could kick my butt in a game.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Very sexist, just by the name of the award alone.  Rewarding someone for doing something they like doing (gaming) while targeting only a specific group isn't very ethical.

Then again the industry is very sexist already.  When was the last time a babe booth consisted of scantly clad masculine hunks, or even just guy models selling a game with their sheer beauty and meticulously styled hair?  Seriously, if the industry wants more women to play games, they need to seriously look at all the stuff thats already broken.  Barely dressed women at conventions isn't attracting most women to games.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• XlugonPyroXlugonPyro Member Posts: 2
    Time for a sex change...
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

did g.i.r.l not used to stand for guy.in.real.life... As in plays a female character in game, have penis in real life.

The again... Who cares, it is a sack of loot to help girls get in to game development. Good idea i guess. Not sure it is the right way to do it but at least it is a way to do it.

This have been a good conversation

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Sounds sexist to me. Though after reading the rules it makes no mention that you actually have to be a woman to win. I think my essay will talk about how there needs to be more roles for women in games like cleaning my player house, and cooking... I wonder if babymaker is a viable class to draw more women into gaming?

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Hmmm. I'm not sure if women should feel proud or patronized about this.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• BurninatorXBurninatorX Member Posts: 25

mmorpg posts a blog about sexism in video games about how anti-woman the culture is. Female only scholorships are fine though.

No double standard here...

I'm gonna start a male only scholorship called M.A.N. (Men Advance Nations). Surely that won't be called sexist.
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Right?

So let me get this straight.

Born with a vag? You like games? You have grant chances!

Sure it's a "man's" world but this is kind of weak.

I'm sure alot of feminists will see this as a victory ? I see it as patronizing as it comes and it's very selective.

Sexism is sexism, any grant offered to one sex while denial of another is descrimination. I find it hard to applaud this, they should grant gamers of all sexes.

We all know the truth though, the marketing lady; she thought this was a brilliant idea, her team pow wowed on "W.O.M.A.N" "L.A.D.Y" and so on and when they could not find a good series of words to fill in the acronym they just went with the ole "Girl" crap.

Say what you want, I've never seen men only offers on grants/scholarships like this, and if there were some lady would be sending fire down on sony.

Laura is terrible with strategy, TERRIBLE. Look at the standards of SOE since she came on.

• TorkazTorkaz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    SEXIST.
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    I knew one day my dick would hold me back from a wonderful career at Sony.