Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"US free-to-play audience outnumbers pay-to-play 6 to 1"

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    never bothered me to pay sub on games as $15 isn't much until you start talking about playing a couple games at once.. i'm happy at the shift more towards b2p/f2p although if I feel a game is worth it ill still pay a sub for it no problem.. don't get why people are so biased over payments models.. if game is fun for me ill play it don't care what the payment model is...

While $60 plus a sub is not going to go over well with the family budget, I'm sure I could find some room there to make it work (I remember being single and laughing at $60, not anymore lol).  I don't really have a steadfast postion either.  Just make a good game without a P2W cash shop and I'm happy.  I really don't understand how either side can be sooo excited about either approach.  I think a middle ground of sub no box or box no sub would be my prefered position.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Boudewijns

Wel imo, people that p2p, feel obligated to play the game, where people that f2p dont.

And if they want to spend money on the game they will, so yeah i think that there r more fp2 then p2p gamers

I dont feel obligated at all. If I like the game I sub if I dont then I cancel sub and let it run out. Im a HUGE HUGE warcraft lore nerd. I absolutely love the world but I dont feel obligated to play wow.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Boudewijns

Wel imo, people that p2p, feel obligated to play the game, where people that f2p dont.

Well that's not how I'm wired.

I pay the subscription to have access to the game when I want and can play. If I need to miss some days or a week then I still have access on the off chance I have some time.

If I don't play for a long while I can just stop the subscription. There must be others like this as well.

Oscar Wilde really was right:

We are each our own devil, and we make
    This world our hell.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

F2P'ers are lesser people.....obviously.  The games they play, more often than not, become wretched hives of scum and villainy.

/sarcasm off

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

Games that are F2P that i spent cash on

1. Perfect World -those wings i had to have

2 Vindictus- underwear (was needed in order to make female characters look half decent in armor)

3 Dragon nest - inventory slots

4 League of legend - skins

Keep in mind i played probably about 50 F2P mmorpgs during my time

Minus LOL all of those games 

Perfect World - 4 months

Vindictus - 2 months

Dragon nest -2 months

League was the only one worth the cash i spent..considering i played it for over 2 years now. The other games i feel like i got scammed outta a few bucks. You guys are right about F2P games as well...most of them are just time fillers and nothing more. I even think the games like tera and aion work that way too (minus the people who been with them from the transition).

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    There are hundreds of shitty F2P MMOs, it would be interesting to see the revenue per game, ie do F2P games make more per game than P2P.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    never bothered me to pay sub on games as $15 isn't much until you start talking about playing a couple games at once.. i'm happy at the shift more towards b2p/f2p although if I feel a game is worth it ill still pay a sub for it no problem.. don't get why people are so biased over payments models.. if game is fun for me ill play it don't care what the payment model is...

Hmm never thought of that argument before.  I should play Subscription based games because I am less likely to encounter people who play lots of games at the same time.

.... nah doesnt work they could always play the one subscription game and a dozen or more F2P games.

• KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121

I've been playing several f2p games lately myself.  Lotro, AoW, EQ2, Vanguard, Tera, PS2, among others.  I've yet to spend a dime in any of them.  I don't feel any of them are worth it myself.  Now, if you include b2p games such as GW2 and TSW, I've spent the box cost plus a whopping $10 extra.  Bigger numbers do nto equal a bigger success imo.

I have subbed to a few games for a period of time and enjoyed my time in each.  (EQ1 ~ 6 yrs, WoW ~ 3 yrs, SWToR ~ 6 months)  That being said, there is currently no game woth subbing to at the moment.  Hopefully EQ Next, Archeage, Pathfinder, "Titan" will change that but who knows.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

F2P is a business model that makes sense.

You are essentially lowering the barrier to entry to your game by only the 'download - install' which will have a wider appeal than the '$$$ first'.

Not surprizing that F2P made more money than subs / P2P.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by craftseeker

Hmm never thought of that argument before.  I should play Subscription based games because I am less likely to encounter people who play lots of games at the same time.

.... nah doesnt work they could always play the one subscription game and a dozen or more F2P games.

which is generally what i do.. but 10 years ago you didn't have the option of tons of f2p MMOs.. and i couldn't afford to play 3-4 sub games at once either so i picked the one or two  i enjoyed the most

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Yep and is this because a large majority of MMO gamers are cheap bastards? Or is it actually because so many greedy and cluless companies jumped on the gravy train, released a spate of appaling MMORPGs, oversaturated the market, and pretty much destroyed the genre's value, credibility, and sank MMO customers confidence in one fell swoop?

Personally I see this trend  as not people swticing to wanting something for nothing. But instead being fed up with getting nothing for their money.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442
    People always fear change, I dont blame them.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

I am a true F2P player ^^ I haven't spent a dime in the games I play for free (though if the type 59 ever drops again in the market for a special event I may fork over the cash to Wargaming in order to buy it, have a love for chinese tanks). I also player EVE-Online on and off but the on and off factor is due to the fact I earn my game time via plexing, it's hard work but when I have the time and the inclination the game is bloody well worth it ^^.

Those said I gotta say "F2P is a revolving door! people don't stick around!" is a fallacy... people don't stick around in F2Ps because they A) did not find what they were looking for or/and B) they did not find a group to play with and this applies to B2P,F2P and P2P only that in B2P and P2P you kinda feel the need to justify the $$$ spent so you at least get your money's worth out of it (which for P2P usually means maxing endgame content and B2P could just mean playing for a few weeks).

F2P is the future, P2P is the past, get with it gents because every argument you could reasonably make against a F2P game with a balanced cash shop you can make against a P2P one as well only that the F2P game has more people playing it.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

http://www.superdataresearch.com/us-free-to-play-does-it-pay-to-switch/

"If you were to look at the growth of the audience alone, the market for F2P games is substantially larger than that for pay-to-play. Six times larger, in fact."

"Subscription-based MMOs have been on a decline in the US, dropping from 8.5MM in December 2009 to 6.7MM in October 2012."

"So, yes, it would appear that F2P may be a viable revenue model, partly because of the large number of gamers it attracts. But traffic alone is not a definitive measure of success. Overall spending may follow a very different trend depending on a game’s life cycle, player base and genre.

The good news is that in 2012, F2P MMOs made more than their P2P counterparts, capturing the majority of the MMO US market’s revenue. The tricky part lies in how to capture and replicate this success."

Your point?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Dihoru

get with it gents because every argument you could reasonably make against a F2P game with a balanced cash shop you can make against a P2P one as well only that the F2P game has more people playing it.

I'm still waiting for such a F2P...

Star Trek Online would be the first example I can give from experience of a balanced cash shop. Note when I say balanced I mean you can earn everything in-game by playing (grinding if you prefer the term though if you like the game that's very debateable) and earning the cash shop currency through trading with players. Also note that while Cryptic/Perfect World do sell ships via their shop these ships aren't the best you can get (fleet ships are markedly better and standard, solo earned, ships can hold their own very well vs cash shop ships in pvp scenarios).

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Xthos
    Originally posted by Brenics
    Ok people play F2P games,. My son loves League of legends, he admits you have to pay at least 30 dollars to get to 30 where the game really starts getting good. Now even after that you have to pay more to really keep up with the good players if you want to keep up. Same goes for all the other F2P games, you have to spend the money, where if its for expansions, gear, buffs, ect. I would rather pay the sub and only have to pay for expansions. To me it seems a lot less expensive. Of course that is just me. :)

Actually League of Legends, you don't have to spend any money, they have a good system, money is just needed for skins/looks on your characters, so it is cosmetic.  You can buy stuff, like heros, but you can get all that stuff by playing.  I don't consider it a mmo though. 

I just like to know what I am going to be paying, and that everyone is on a 'even' playingfield as far as in game goes.  I think someone could stop a lot of the gold selling, and cheating a lot better if it was a bought game.  If you have a trial, then you limit activities, that could result in farming/spamming the paying community.  That way someone can try the game, but not disrupt the game.

The community of LoL is consider the top end as well!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by FARGIN_WAR

Yep and is this because a large majority of MMO gamers are cheap bastards? Or is it actually because so many greedy and cluless companies jumped on the gravy train, released a spate of appaling MMORPGs, oversaturated the market, and pretty much destroyed the genre's value, credibility, and sank MMO customers confidence in one fell swoop?

Personally I see this trend  as not people swticing to wanting something for nothing. But instead being fed up with getting nothing for their money.

Agreed.

There is getting to be no real excuse to pay for expensive sub games these days with the introduction of decent AAA B2P and F2P options (most of which offer no real advantage to those who put money into the game), like GW2, Planetside 2, now TERA, AoC, etc. I have been playing those (not ever having, nor will I ever, spend a cent on any mmo again, beyond perhaps buying the box) - took a break to take advantage of a "return to WoW" 10 day free trial, and laughed at the prospect of paying for that game again once I did; the games I mentioned previously trump it in nearly every way. FFXIV 2.0 is going to tank again if they think they are getting a full sub fee for what they are offering too. This is not mentioning the selection of small-name f2p games on the market, which are improving in quality noticably.

As for those of you who think paying money for a game makes a better community - keep telling yourself that to rationalize shelling out money for nothing each month. That is not at all the case, and anyone who has played WoW, or TERA, Aion, etc, when they were P2P mmos (or still are) knows that is not necessarily the case (those communities were miserable). Likewise, even if you have a greater number of casual 'passer-through' players, most games will also have a core tight-knit community that plays it; you just need to find, or (heaven forbid) create, such a community. The later type of community is likely to be such because they genuinely like the game and the people they play with, not because they are invested via psychological pressure of knowing they need to try and get their money's worth.

Sad that people would rather trot out platitudes like "you get what you pay for" than swallow the pill that they've been wasting their money.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

get with it gents because every argument you could reasonably make against a F2P game with a balanced cash shop you can make against a P2P one as well only that the F2P game has more people playing it.

Let me know when you find a p2p one. :P

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Who cares. I would rather play with a smaller tight knit population than a huge on the go population of passer through players. I will not play F2P games.

Absolutely!

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    cant name 1 f2p that started out as f2p that matches quality of b2p or p2p
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Let me know when you find a p2p one. :P

i'm writing this in my eve browser.

Call me back when you donno what else to train and the only reason you log on is to chat with friends :P ( 0.0 gets boring after a few years, trust me and as for the rest... you gotta cycle it otherwise you burn out ^^ ).

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by shingoukieh
    cant name 1 f2p that started out as f2p that matches quality of b2p or p2p

I think Planetside 2 does. 

But yeah, all the good F2P started out as P2P. Way too many times the P2P option is just a monthly fee to beta test until the game goes F2P.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

pretty much confirms a long held suspicion that many on these forums alone (like me) already figured out but that many on these forums and other forums were resistant to accept even now.

It's mostly due to the market and the economy however one cannot rule out the tendency for people to spend as much time in regular real life activities as much as they do in games. No longer are most people accepting the requirement by game manufacturers to spend every waking hour working towards a goal in their virtual world all for the purpose of standing in the middle of their main race's city and walking around strutting because they did something extreme like spend an entire 2-3 month period running the same dungeon/raid over and over again to learn the dance that the game developers have scripted just so they can finally and at long last get that single piece of gear to drop to complete their set. People have lives now and survival is more important then spending enormous insane amounts of time working on such things. Devs are finally starting to realize for the most part (we still have a few stragglers AHEM Anet for one) that mmo's should not be second careers when it comes to these virtual experiences.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by twrule

As for those of you who think paying money for a game makes a better community - keep telling yourself that to rationalize shelling out money for nothing each month. That is not at all the case, and anyone who has played WoW, or TERA, Aion, etc, when they were P2P mmos (or still are) knows that is not necessarily the case (those communities were miserable). Likewise, even if you have a greater number of casual 'passer-through' players, most games will also have a core tight-knit community that plays it; you just need to find, or (heaven forbid) create, such a community. The later type of community is likely to be such because they genuinely like the game and the people they play with, not because they are invested via psychological pressure of knowing they need to try and get their money's worth.

Sad that people who rather trot out platitudes like "you get what you pay for" just because they can't swallow the pill that they've been wasting their money.

I think it's sad that you think the small percentage of people who actually pay and pay lots should support your gaming habit.

So you will buy the box huh (if I box is offered) ? That pays for very little over the life and development of a game.

essentially small groups of people, some who should know better, shovel out tons of money to keep these games afloat while large groups of people come and go.

And that's if those people keep these games afloat. Keep in mind Aion hasn't made the money they thought it would with their f2p model.

As far as getting what you pay for, that always holds true. You are mistaken if you think that others believe a subscrtiption equals a great community.

It never has.

a subscription means a devoted or at least more serious community. People always pay for things they value and will pay for things they value greatly.

A Cello professor at BU once told me that he used to give lessons but that he had a hard time keeping students as many of his students weren't serious. He had a constantly revolving door of students amid some die hard serious students. His former teacher told him to raise fee. He did this, lost all the non-serious students, kept his serious students, attracted more serious students and learned that he could make more money with a small group of students to teach, freeing up his time for other endeavors.

That can be applied to mmo's as well. the people who pay are more devoted to a game, more serious about it. The problem with p2p games is that developers stopped giving players good reasons to keep paying those subs. Players weren't seeing what they were getting for their money. Game companies started skimping more in order to keep more money and having less events, less online gm's, less updates meant that players would get tired of just logging in for the sake of it.

That is the real lesson of p2p. If a player is going to pay something they are going to want to see something of value worth his money.

It does keep down the transient population

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by Mardukk
    Everyone seems to love P2P in this thread.  Do you still love the box price with the sub?  Or just a sub is enough P2P for you?  Just curious.  I don't feel that I'll ever do box price and sub together ever again, short of my dream game.

Monthly sub with no box price would be my ideal model. That was the model of the first MMO I ever played (two week free trial, then you had to sub to continue), and I still think it's the best. No barrier to entry to stop people from checking out your game; but an ongoing sub to finance it.

Sadly it's not particularly popular. Although you virtually have it when the box includes a month of sub and barely costs any more than a month of sub (e.g. EVE cost I think $20 when I bought it, so basically the box cost $5).

This discussion has been closed.