Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some Top Concerns from the Beta forums

AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Just wanted to discuss a few of the top topics going on about beta

1. Lack of class customization - Very few overall choices to customize your class, You are locked into a single weapon type(afaik) and armor type(similar to TERA). Dice roll on CC isn't really a dice roll it's a preset set of numbers might as well of been choice A B C or D.  For some set and locked classes is no big deal but for me I hate it when I'm a warrior and i see 50 warriors go by and they are all exact clones of me in looks and skills.

2. Lack of interesting loot and stats- For a dungeon crawler type game this is a pretty big one for me. Most complaints I have seen is there is very little variety in items and so getting a new piece of loot generally has little purpose other than to sell it. Another big issue I have seen is the stats on equipment don't seem to be having much effect on your character at all. People were doing tests with differn't armors/weapons and found little to no difference in damage even though the armor provided stat increase(might be bug) .. Another complaint I saw on this was The items never have any unique qualities that set them apart from the other 9001 items you will find in a single day of adventuring. There are no flaming weapons, no root-proof boots, no bone-breaking maces or daggers that cause bleeding, or any magical quality that we are all used to seeing in D&D. Every item just has the same stats in lesser or greater quantities.

3. Rooting- this is another very hot topic. For melee it isn't as noticable as it is on ranged characters..It seems many of the skills that you could see in trailers that allowed slow movement while casting now root you.. They did this for balance purposes but for me rooting in an action game kills ranged classes for me.. I hated ranged in diablo games because of this.. I honestly wouldn't care if you could just slowly walk and back peddle while channeling but rooting on all ranged skills just doesn't work for me.

4. Spotty Animations- combat ones are good overall i think but some are really really awful. For example the basic running animation for the mid sized races(human,elf, half-elf, drow) all seem to be designed for large bulky male models.. it works fine for half orcs but for anything else it looks very off and on a slender female model its downright horrid.. also rogues have their own set of running animations which honestly like ok to me except when running up and down stairs(which they said they were working on). Also the horse running animation is uhh not good..

Those are just a few of the bigger topics to come from the first beta weekend, next beta weekend I'm sure there will be a slew more as a much bigger group of people will get to test the game.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

1. Lack of class customization - Very few overall choices to customize your class, You are locked into a single weapon type(afaik) and armor type(similar to TERA). Dice roll on CC isn't really a dice roll it's a preset set of numbers might as well of been choice A B C or D.  For some set and locked classes is no big deal but for me I hate it when I'm a warrior and i see 50 warriors go by and they are all exact clones of me in looks and skills.

2. Lack of interesting loot and stats- For a dungeon crawler type game this is a pretty big one for me. Most complaints I have seen is there is very little variety in items and so getting a new piece of loot generally has little purpose other than to sell it. Another big issue I have seen is the stats on equipment don't seem to be having much effect on your character at all. People were doing tests with differn't armors/weapons and found little to no difference in damage even though the armor provided stat increase(might be bug) .. Another complaint I saw on this was The items never have any unique qualities that set them apart from the other 9001 items you will find in a single day of adventuring. There are no flaming weapons, no root-proof boots, no bone-breaking maces or daggers that cause bleeding, or any magical quality that we are all used to seeing in D&D. Every item just has the same stats in lesser or greater quantities.

3. Rooting- this is another very hot topic. For melee it isn't as noticable as it is on ranged characters..It seems many of the skills that you could see in trailers that allowed slow movement while casting now root you.. They did this for balance purposes but for me rooting in an action game kills ranged classes for me.. I hated ranged in diablo games because of this.. I honestly wouldn't care if you could just slowly walk and back peddle while channeling but rooting on all ranged skills just doesn't work for me.

4. Spotty Animations- combat ones are good overall i think but some are really really awful. For example the basic running animation for the mid sized races(human,elf, half-elf, drow) all seem to be designed for large bulky male models.. it works fine for half orcs but for anything else it looks very off and on a slender female model its downright horrid.. also rogues have their own set of running animations which honestly like ok to me except when running up and down stairs(which they said they were working on). Also the horse running animation is uhh not good..

Those are just a few of the bigger topics to come from the first beta weekend, next beta weekend I'm sure there will be a slew more as a much bigger group of people will get to test the game.

1. I also dislike games that do not allow class customization but I do have to admit that expect this in a D&D based game so I wont let it bother me here. I am more concerned about the amount of skills each class has.

2. Yes this could be an issue if it remains deeper into the game, with such a short beta test we have no idea if that is the case, yet at the same time...it better not end up being like the typical gear grind of the MMO genre, D&D is supposed to be about the adventure, not the loot.

3. I was not rooted on the cleric so I dont know where this is coming from.

4. I was never 100% satisified with any games animations I would like to see an improvement no matter what, I am actually surprised that MMOs do not get their animations udpated after release...that often.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

Well its a f2p game from a developer that failed before. What exactly do you expectt? i dont get my hopes up fro f2p games. Doesn tmatter how much they advertize it.

Your expecting to much after those wanna be triple AAA mmorpgs came out ala Guildfart 2  and so on.

Every now and then we get piece of shit, maybe this is one maybe not. In the end it doesnt matter. its just a game and it shoudl do what it needs to do- make us happy for a short time.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by exile01

Well its a f2p game from a developer that failed before. What exactly do you expectt? i dont get my hopes up fro f2p games. Doesn tmatter how much they advertize it.

Your expecting to much after those wanna be triple AAA mmorpgs came out ala Guildfart 2  and so on.

Every now and then we get piece of shit, maybe this is one maybe not. In the end it doesnt matter. its just a game and it shoudl do what it needs to do- make us happy for a short time.

fart jokes?

Really?

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by jtcgs

1. I also dislike games that do not allow class customization but I do have to admit that expect this in a D&D based game so I wont let it bother me here. I am more concerned about the amount of skills each class has.

2. Yes this could be an issue if it remains deeper into the game, with such a short beta test we have no idea if that is the case, yet at the same time...it better not end up being like the typical gear grind of the MMO genre, D&D is supposed to be about the adventure, not the loot.

3. I was not rooted on the cleric so I dont know where this is coming from.

4. I was never 100% satisified with any games animations I would like to see an improvement no matter what, I am actually surprised that MMOs do not get their animations udpated after release...that often.

reading some things regarding #3 i think this is something that has changed since the last beta(as in skills that used to allow movement now root you).. well have to wait till next beta to be sure.. for animations I also am never fully happy but if they are so bad i can't even play the character then it becomes an issue and for me the running animation on the female mid sized models is that bad

also just a side note I'd never expect the same kind of quality from a f2p game than I would from a AAA B2P or P2P game.. was just letting people know some of the concerns testers are having

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

guild wars 2 isnt a triple A mmo? Im kinda lost here it offers you more than anything out there currently in terms of options and this is coming from a hater that thinks the game sucks.

As for NVW just becuase cryptic didnt sell a million boxes of champions and star trek doesnt mean its going to always put out shoddy work. You act like people cannot learn from their mistakes and fix stuff. Champions still to this day has a solid fan base so once again your wrong.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    im getting the feeling that this thread is nothing but advertise of gw2....
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

also just a side note I'd never expect the same kind of quality from a f2p game than I would from a AAA B2P or P2P game.. was just letting people know some of the concerns testers are having

As a side not to your side note, after having played SWTOR, TSW and Tera...I have already played F2P games of better quality than P2P games XD

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
    im getting the feeling that this thread is nothing but "reverse advertise" of gw2....

i didn't even mention gw2.. nw is the next game coming out i'm interested in so im discussing it

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

But if pretty much everyone is going to be making FTP, then my quality bar will rise and I will expect continous progress.

Originally posted by HorrorScope

But if pretty much everyone is going to be making FTP, then my quality bar will rise and I will expect continous progress.

very true but overall i'm willing to overlook certain things and some lack of overall polish in a game i don't have to spend a dime for vs one I'm require to spend at least $60 on.. also to me there is a big difference between a game designed with f2p in mind from the start and one that was designed with a sub model + box price and went f2p.. although it does make it so you have to bring f2p games up to a bit higher standard in a way

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well to pick on one of them (just cause it does seem to come up) I don't get the 'rooting' issue. To me, it makes a lot more sense that you WOULD be rooted when you are firing then being able to move around. It adds a lot more skill to the game in meaning you need to plan out your movements and when you attack. The added skill and 'realism' level behind it personally makes me like this aspect in a game as range keeps its benefit of being ranged while also having some penalty for it.

Hopefully it does have some sort of limited 'break' from it like games like tera where you can use your dodge to get out if its up, but I never really got a chance to play to judge that. To me I just find it silly people thinking root isn't any good, I feel so silly playing games like as a big example GW2 where it just feels so stupid to me running around like a chicken with my head cut off spamming and dodging and just always moving and throwing stuff without having to pause to cast.  Heck it even bothers me to a degree in like Rift with instant cast ranged abilities being able to be thrown while on the move.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Well to pick on one of them (just cause it does seem to come up) I don't get the 'rooting' issue. To me, it makes a lot more sense that you WOULD be rooted when you are firing then being able to move around. It adds a lot more skill to the game in meaning you need to plan out your movements and when you attack. The added skill and 'realism' level behind it personally makes me like this aspect in a game as range keeps its benefit of being ranged while also having some penalty for it.

Hopefully it does have some sort of limited 'break' from it like games like tera where you can use your dodge to get out if its up, but I never really got a chance to play to judge that. To me I just find it silly people thinking root isn't any good, I feel so silly playing games like as a big example GW2 where it just feels so stupid to me running around like a chicken with my head cut off spamming and dodging and just always moving and throwing stuff without having to pause to cast.  Heck it even bothers me to a degree in like Rift with instant cast ranged abilities being able to be thrown while on the move.

as i said in the OP just basic slow walking so you aren't completely rooted.. like when channeling a spell id like to just be able to backstep a little bit.. or slowly walk from side to side.. just a preference thing and would improve the overall "feel" and "realism" a lot imho.. my main experience with this is diablo type games and I just hate ranged classes in those games because of this exact thing.. melee isn't really an issue but ranged I find it to be for me

also why should you not be able to fire an "instant cast" on the move its instant

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421

Being rooted while casting/firing is realistic. Attempt yourself to shoot a bow or a gun while strafing or running an see how you make out. Besides that, is it really fair for a ranged player to be able to kite melee around at their leisure?

Some amount of movement would be acceptable, just not flat out running, jumping, skipping, etc.

Originally posted by LIOKI
    Being rooted while casting/firing is realistic. Attempt yourself to shoot a bow or a gun while strafing or running an see how you make out. Besides that, is it really fair for a ranged player to be able to kite melee around at their leisure?

still not seeing where i said running or anything just slow walking that is all.. being able to do a slow back peddle while channeling ray of frost i don't think is outside "realism" or would break balance or anything.. also most "magic" you see in movies or read in books they can do on the run just for reference

just saw your edit.. yea i don't need full out running just slow peddling around like a slow walk

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

still not seeing where i said running or anything just slow walking that is all.. being able to do a slow back peddle while channeling ray of frost i don't think is outside "realism" or would break balance or anything.. also most "magic" you see in movies or read in books they can do on the run just for reference

just saw your edit.. yea i don't need full out running just slow peddling around like a slow walk

yup its very easy to change to a walk whiel channeling a spell but the designers of the game made a design decision and I think a very good one.  It works very well with the game since a lot of it is positional combat and moving all the time makes it much much harder to have difficult encounters.  If you watch one of the developer run throughs they explain their choice and how it affects the game if it changed.  A lot of it has to do with player feedback loops and combat animations.  

it comes to this player moving = mobs must attack a lot faster which means animations are harder to see and even telegraphing some of the moves become hard to see and eventually there is a limit that is reached and the player is just too quick causing the difficulty to ramp up too high and it becomes very hard to adjust their animations to compensate for the insane attack speeds that they have now without breakng the players attack movement speed.   Something along those lines

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by cronius77

guild wars 2 isnt a triple A mmo? Im kinda lost here it offers you more than anything out there currently in terms of options and this is coming from a hater that thinks the game sucks.

As for NVW just becuase cryptic didnt sell a million boxes of champions and star trek doesnt mean its going to always put out shoddy work. You act like people cannot learn from their mistakes and fix stuff. Champions still to this day has a solid fan base so once again your wrong.

GW2 isn't 100% f2p. You have to pay 50 to 60 euros for the game.

Originally posted by Laross

yup its very easy to change to a walk whiel channeling a spell but the designers of the game made a design decision and I think a very good one.  It works very well with the game since a lot of it is positional combat and moving all the time makes it much much harder to have difficult encounters.  If you watch one of the developer run throughs they explain their choice and how it affects the game if it changed.  A lot of it has to do with player feedback loops and combat animations.  

guess if the full rooting is final ill stick to the rogue class then.. oh well guess won't know for sure till launch though

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

guess if the full rooting is final ill stick to the rogue class then.. oh well guess won't know for sure till launch though

I don't mind the rooting too much but it would be nice to have some movment even if its drains a resource etc.  Its interesting though the guardian can move when he has his shield up and it looks like the wizard can too.  

In the end as long as the classes play very well I will be happy.  At this point every class I have played so far especially the rogue has been very fun.  The rogue is just a wicked sweet class.  What this game does very well is that no class is useless solo or in a group and all can contribute to Dps and get themselves out of a tight spot.  But every class is unique enough to justify their existance. 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Yeah their really failing with international games crying all the way to the bank, just had their three year anniversary on STO always packed full of people everywhere in their single shard tech going strong (yet another thing that people said would fail) making dollar after dollar on the keys to boxes (despite some peoples protests vs gambling in game apparently it works very well) 

And I'd like to point out that since PW has taken over, they haven't make grandeos announcements about the type of game they're making and then do a complete 180 a few months after launch (unlike AN with GuildFarts2) and people can rationalize all they want to but what they did was make a dungeon focused game in a game that was supposed to be about open world only, even to the point of saying it was cheaper and faster for them to make open world content rather then dungeons. It was all over the forums about how GW2 suddenly lost their entire population in the rest of the world because everyone was hanging out in LA doing the LFG thing in zone chat.

It amazes me that some people can profess that AN was great for being so open about their game early on but when other titles do they throw stones at them. (talking about OP)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Thanks for number one and two. Those were my two biggest worries. I could go for a pve only game if the customization and itemization was off the charts.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

1: This did worry me a bit but then I play STO and don't see the same thing. They have outfitters in STO and I'm fairly certain that they will prolly have outfitters in game. Not worried about looking like the rest. They've made a killing off this alone by unlocking uniforms and outfits in STO has been a big moneymaker.

2: This is extremely funny coming from an advocate of a gaming company that stealth nerfs loot, that implemented the fail system DR to prevent people from getting loot despite the long history of DR completely destroying the gaming community and even taking down the games that stubbornly held onto DR. The loot in this game so far looks like it has alot of purposes. Some of it is for crafting some of it is for other missions it's just like it is in STO. If they make their guilds system anything like the STO system of fleets it is going to be awesome because the items one finds while questing will be used to advance guilds and get the best gear in the game. I truly hope they do use that system for guilds because it would instantly solve the "rush to the end game and instantly get every piece of loot available" problem that almost ALL AAA titles have suffered thru right after launch.

3: I haven't played it yet however from what I've seen from countless videos it looks like they made a minor addition of certain abilities holding people in place (that obviously require better concentration like the large daily spells or spells that use a focused beam or what you'd get is what I've seen in GW2 people running thru and completely facerolling mobs without being touched once. (Warrior much?)

4: Haven't noticed this myself going to see about it when i play the next beta. I'm not one of those people who is crazy about every little pixel is perfect (my roomie is like that, every pixel has to animate the best way or the entire game is a flop to him. Bought a new computer with his recommended spec and parts and started playing games as beautiful as GW2 and he didn't like the way it looked. It's still in beta so I'm not worried about the issues with graphics so long as they do fix it afterwords unlike other titles, AHEM cough that still have bugs in their game that have been there since BWE2 that haven't been touched because they refuse to have a PTR and more then two people working on these problems at any given time between patches.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Some amount of movement would be acceptable, just not flat out running, jumping, skipping, etc.

Pew Pew Pew...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g&t=4m35s

and if you want to watch the rest of the video.. he also

simulates firing arrows while falling

shoots 11 arrows into the air before the first hits the ground

shoots while jumping

fires from the hip

Having said that.. I think there should be some moving while casting and firing. This isn't 1999

I don't mind the rooting too much but it would be nice to have some movment even if its drains a resource etc.  Its interesting though the guardian can move when he has his shield up and it looks like the wizard can too.  

In the end as long as the classes play very well I will be happy.  At this point every class I have played so far especially the rogue has been very fun.  The rogue is just a wicked sweet class.  What this game does very well is that no class is useless solo or in a group and all can contribute to Dps and get themselves out of a tight spot.  But every class is unique enough to justify their existance. 

yea rogue is my favorite so far by a WIDE margin heh

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by HorrorScope

very true but overall i'm willing to overlook certain things and some lack of overall polish in a game i don't have to spend a dime for vs one I'm require to spend at least $60 on.. also to me there is a big difference between a game designed with f2p in mind from the start and one that was designed with a sub model + box price and went f2p.. although it does make it so you have to bring f2p games up to a bit higher standard in a way

True. But the price ultimately won't tell your brain if you are having fun or not. Sure if I don't spend nothing and walk away, there isn't really any animosity vs your example of $60 and a sub and not feeling you got your money's worth.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I have a feeling that we will see more customization options in the cash shop.  What we see at the creator is what they want to give to us for free.

The stats that make up our characters are pretty basic so I don't see loot ever being very orginal other than possibliy skins.  Much more randomness to drops would be great but I guess developers don't like giving up that much control over loot tables because you almost never see it in MMO's.

The rooting didn't bother me at all but I was a Gaurd so maybe it's more annoying for ranged classes.  Of all the action like MMO's I have played recently so far I like NW's overall feel the most.  You just feel connected to the combat much more so than those other two I won't mention by name but I also admit that's a very personal preference.

I didn't notice to much with the animations but than again I played a big bulky male.  I did roll a female elf healer and yea she didn't seem to move quite right but it didn't distract to much from gameplay.  Maybe if I had played that toon more I would have been annoyed by it more.