Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"US free-to-play audience outnumbers pay-to-play 6 to 1"

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

http://www.superdataresearch.com/us-free-to-play-does-it-pay-to-switch/

"If you were to look at the growth of the audience alone, the market for F2P games is substantially larger than that for pay-to-play. Six times larger, in fact."

"Subscription-based MMOs have been on a decline in the US, dropping from 8.5MM in December 2009 to 6.7MM in October 2012."

"So, yes, it would appear that F2P may be a viable revenue model, partly because of the large number of gamers it attracts. But traffic alone is not a definitive measure of success. Overall spending may follow a very different trend depending on a game’s life cycle, player base and genre.

The good news is that in 2012, F2P MMOs made more than their P2P counterparts, capturing the majority of the MMO US market’s revenue. The tricky part lies in how to capture and replicate this success."

Comments

• MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    K
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Who cares. I would rather play with a smaller tight knit population than a huge on the go population of passer through players. I will not play F2P games.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Kind of screw at a glance, it is counting b2p as f2p also, and games that weren't.

I prefer a sub, then the game doesn't need to bleed 10% of the population dry for cash, and everyone is on the same playing field.  Not all are p2w, but if you are selling xp potions and such, it is not a even playing field imo....I know someone having more playing time than someone else isn't even either....and all the other arguments...I also think it is easier to deter certain behaviors in a game that is paid for, verse 100% f2p from buying to playing....Not that all companies take advantage of this that do charge.

Great for the game hopper, but not what I am looking for.  I am not against playing a f2p, but if certain things are happening in it, then I will not try it.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Poor pleople outnumbers rich people like 1000(made up) to 1 :D but yea ...

Every mmorpg wishes to be P2P or B2P but usually they cant :)

+ say what you want. B2P or P2P communities are 1000x better than ANY F2P games. They dont last /stick with the games, they are not loyal and most of  these F2P players are just looking for FREE fun, they like to troll, etc.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400
    My parent's always told me, "you get what you pay for" ~ It has served me well..
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

F2P loyalty is also I'll bet a lot lower as well. 

F2P attracts more players but it doesn't nessisarily mean it keeps those players or that people will spend their cash willingly on the game. When something to is F2P it means you get

1.) People willing to try it not having to spend a cent that would otherwise not bother.

2.) Kids who have no money and as such can only play F2P

3.) 'Migrators' who tend to play games and move on quickly, often without spending a cent.

That and considering the ratio of F2P versus P2P, I'd say its not to hard to believe that number would be that large due to the fact there just is a lot more games out there on that side to help push that number higher.

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Who cares. I would rather play with a smaller tight knit population than a huge on the go population of passer through players. I will not play F2P games.

Same thoughts here.

Originally posted by Talgen
    My parent's always told me, "you get what you pay for" ~ It has served me well..

+1 exactly :)

your parents are wise !

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727

My mind is officially blown!  People want something for nothing?  Who would have thought! 

I prefer P2P, and if the game was great i would pay way more than 15 a month.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Ok people play F2P games,. My son loves League of legends, he admits you have to pay at least 30 dollars to get to 30 where the game really starts getting good. Now even after that you have to pay more to really keep up with the good players if you want to keep up. Same goes for all the other F2P games, you have to spend the money, where if its for expansions, gear, buffs, ect. I would rather pay the sub and only have to pay for expansions. To me it seems a lot less expensive. Of course that is just me. :)
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864
    I would rather pay a sub. If you actually want to get into any F2P game you'll eventually have to shell out a few hundred bucks.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Purutzil

F2P loyalty is also I'll bet a lot lower as well. 

F2P attracts more players but it doesn't nessisarily mean it keeps those players or that people will spend their cash willingly on the game. When something to is F2P it means you get

1.) People willing to try it not having to spend a cent that would otherwise not bother.

2.) Kids who have no money and as such can only play F2P

3.) 'Migrators' who tend to play games and move on quickly, often without spending a cent.

That and considering the ratio of F2P versus P2P, I'd say its not to hard to believe that number would be that large due to the fact there just is a lot more games out there on that side to help push that number higher.

I completely agree.

I'd prefer to pay a subscription and have a small but stable community over the revolving door that f2p encourages.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Brenics
    Ok people play F2P games,. My son loves League of legends, he admits you have to pay at least 30 dollars to get to 30 where the game really starts getting good. Now even after that you have to pay more to really keep up with the good players if you want to keep up. Same goes for all the other F2P games, you have to spend the money, where if its for expansions, gear, buffs, ect. I would rather pay the sub and only have to pay for expansions. To me it seems a lot less expensive. Of course that is just me. :)

Actually League of Legends, you don't have to spend any money, they have a good system, money is just needed for skins/looks on your characters, so it is cosmetic.  You can buy stuff, like heros, but you can get all that stuff by playing.  I don't consider it a mmo though. 

I just like to know what I am going to be paying, and that everyone is on a 'even' playingfield as far as in game goes.  I think someone could stop a lot of the gold selling, and cheating a lot better if it was a bought game.  If you have a trial, then you limit activities, that could result in farming/spamming the paying community.  That way someone can try the game, but not disrupt the game.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Fearum

This. /thread

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Everyone seems to love P2P in this thread.  Do you still love the box price with the sub?  Or just a sub is enough P2P for you?  Just curious.  I don't feel that I'll ever do box price and sub together ever again, short of my dream game.
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Everyone seems to love P2P in this thread.  Do you still love the box price with the sub?  Or just a sub is enough P2P for you?  Just curious.  I don't feel that I'll ever do box price and sub together ever again, short of my dream game.

Box plus sub doesnt bother me at all.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

most of the ppl on this site don't play mmos anymore. They just come here to complain about them.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

I don't care about the box price.

Look, they, like you, have a job to make money. Millions of dollars are spent to make these things. Have you ever really looked at how little money "just" a subscription brings in?

It's nothing. If I had a company and I was just going to charge a subscrtiption I wouldn't have that company. so the box price does bring in a large chunk of money to help get some of the cost of the development.

I don't begrudge people and companies making money fairly. You do it, I do it, presumably the companies we work for do it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

I kinda dont care about the money if its worth it ... I dont understand how something like subscription/copy of game can be problem for someone? Everyone is spending 10x more on cigarets, alcohol, fast foods, etc. that gives you nothing..

Box + subscription = no problem if the game is worth it. I am even willing to pay A LOT more if its worth it! If Final Fantasy XIV ARR is what I hope it will be, man I would even pay 100 euro for subscription per month:) So yea.. I am happy its copy + subcscription based !

What is 60 euro (box) + 13 euro per month for subscription for something you play every day for several years? NOTHING

For me the subscription equals good game, good gameplay. more content, better community :) When games go F2P it either means they cant afford some of these things or they heavyly rely on cash shop.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Id be curious to see what MMOs they list for their f2p.  The number of p2p dropped from 8mil to 6 mil. But where did everyone else come from?  The increase was like 30 million for f2p. I saw Zynga mentioned, so they are probably not counting real MMORPGs.  Seems like the f2p rise is mirroring Facebok's rise....
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by DSWBeef

Box plus sub doesnt bother me at all.

same, although for the first time in my life I spent cash on a F2P game this month.  Path of Exile, the first game I have ever even thought of spending a dime.

There must be tons of us out there, that register, download, play 30 mins of a game and uninstall.  Thats how I have ended every single F2P MMO I have tried.  Runes of Magic, actually lasted the longest, a whole 2 days.  

Originally posted by DamonVile

most of the ppl on this site don't play mmos anymore. They just come here to complain about them.

We play, just usually ends in disappointment the last 6 years or so, and the disappointment seems to happen at a quicker pace as those years have gone on it seems.

Some are decent, but flawed, nothing to keep you playing, besides mindless daily stuff that is limited to a set timer.

Looking forward to ArcheAge and EQNext, hopefully one of them, or both are done well.  Not too excited about EQNext being f2p, if they stick with that. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    never bothered me to pay sub on games as $15 isn't much until you start talking about playing a couple games at once.. i'm happy at the shift more towards b2p/f2p although if I feel a game is worth it ill still pay a sub for it no problem.. don't get why people are so biased over payments models.. if game is fun for me ill play it don't care what the payment model is...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Biggest change is that MMOs used to be worth Buying and Paying a sub, games these days arnt worth the money and thus F2P is getting huge, we honoestly shouldnt be encouraging this type of behavior.

A good game is worth Buying and Paying a subscription

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162

Wel imo, people that p2p, feel obligated to play the game, where people that f2p dont.

And if they want to spend money on the game they will, so yeah i think that there r more fp2 then p2p gamers

This discussion has been closed.