Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I hated the personal story...

2»

Comments

• observerobserver Houston, TXPosts: 3,009Member Uncommon

The story was the most undesirable aspect of the game for me.  Dungeons were second.

I didn't like the disconnected feeling of the story caused by level gaps.  It would progress you in the story, then you'll be underleveled for the next part, so you'll have to go back out in the world to level up more, then go back to the story.  It would have been better if the outside content (while leveling), was connected to the story more directly.  If it was, i didn't get that feeling.  I actually thought the dynamic events and heart tasks were more interesting with their stories. lol.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm londonPosts: 298Member
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

But I stayed with it, and man was I wrong. GW2 puts these other MMOs to shame. By the end I was extremely impressed with the story and the events that unfolded. Very fun.

Unfortunately I found it all very amateurish; I though it was really inept, sorry

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO SomewherePosts: 1,326Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    I sorta liked most personal stories, but they could have done a better job of putting it all together. The whole "you're now in an order and whatever you did before is now irrelevant" feeling didn't go down very well. The stories, missions on their own were decent to good, they just didn't blend all that smoothly into that one big personal story.

think one of the issues is how it branches.. think they sacrificed a lot to allow lots of combination of branching stories instead of just focusing on a single core strong story to tell... it works better this way for me because makes alt playing more interesting

I have ten toons and the fact that you have choices is the up side of the whole thing. However, if for example you choose to have a missing relative, then you have an encounter where you're supposed to learn something about a missing sister or something. Assassins try to kill you and then, well nothing...next subject! Big questionmark, WTF?

Some branches are pretty broken. Following broken branches does not work better however you try to spin it.

Maybe you've gotten lucky and never encountered the feeling that there wasn't much to the choices you made because it's just a different mission that doesn't really change anything in the end. Sometimes there's a need for a follow-up that just never happens. In that respect some personal stories can be pretty crappy, depending on what you picked and find important.

imageimage
  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    I sorta liked most personal stories, but they could have done a better job of putting it all together. The whole "you're now in an order and whatever you did before is now irrelevant" feeling didn't go down very well. The stories, missions on their own were decent to good, they just didn't blend all that smoothly into that one big personal story.

think one of the issues is how it branches.. think they sacrificed a lot to allow lots of combination of branching stories instead of just focusing on a single core strong story to tell... it works better this way for me because makes alt playing more interesting

I have ten toons and the fact that you have choices is the up side of the whole thing. However, if for example you choose to have a missing relative, then you have an encounter where you're supposed to learn something about a missing sister or something. Assassins try to kill you and then, well nothing...next subject! Big questionmark, WTF?

Some branches are pretty broken. Following broken branches does not work better however you try to spin it.

Maybe you've gotten lucky and never encountered the feeling that there wasn't much to the choices you made because it's just a different mission that doesn't really change anything in the end. Sometimes there's a need for a follow-up that just never happens. In that respect some personal stories can be pretty crappy, depending on what you picked and find important.

some branches are much better/worse than others ill give you that.. never really felt let down by any overall though as I said before i don't play MMOs for the story.. the fact it even has a mostly fully voiced story with branching parts so  ican level multiple toons and not repeat content is just a huge bonus in my book.. in Rift after the initial area I couldn't tell you a single story aspect of that game.. but i never cared because again I don't play MMOs for the story but if it gives great xp and the fight sequences are fun i don't see much of a downside

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• mikahrmikahr ZagrebPosts: 1,066Member

Ah, but you at least get different mission based on your choice.

Now compare it to SWTOR which is supposed to be king of story (RPG) where you pretty much get different one liner and few seconds of different cutscene and EVERYTHING else is the same.

• KarteliKarteli Providence, PAPosts: 2,646Member

I applaud you for having the endurance to suffer through GW2's story.  I got maybe halfway and was already looking for a new game to play.  Very bad acting, lifeless characters staring off into nothingness, yet somehow engaging in a conversation.  Missions that needed to be zerged via run in do damage, die, run back do damage, die, over and over, until it was complete.

Very sloppy design.

SWTOR has far more gripping storylines, was more immersive, and has better acting.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• eye_meye_m Notta Chance, ABPosts: 3,133Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Karteli

Missions that needed to be zerged via run in do damage, die, run back do damage, die, over and over, until it was complete.

I'm sorry, but that is a personal problem, not a game problem.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I applaud you for having the endurance to suffer through GW2's story.  I got maybe halfway and was already looking for a new game to play.  Very bad acting, lifeless characters staring off into nothingness, yet somehow engaging in a conversation.  Missions that needed to be zerged via run in do damage, die, run back do damage, die, over and over, until it was complete.

Very sloppy design.

SWTOR has far more gripping storylines, was more immersive, and has better acting.

haven't had to do that since my first character... once i learned the combat the story missions for the most part were no problem at all.. might need to l2p a bit better as the story missions you do not need to spawn point rush them at all..but i guess it's nice for people to have that option to still complete the mission even if they aren't very good at the combat...

swtor stories might of been more immersive but that all goes down the drain once out of the story sequence and you actually have to walk around the zones... VO is subjective but I'd say it'shardly worse(and id say much better overall) than most other MMOs with only swtor and TSW being an exception

i don't think many of these people who complain about VO have watched many american dubbed anime.. you want some horrible VO some of those are... well yea..... of course there are exceptions as there have been some good american dubbed anime:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• avalon1000avalon1000 Kihei, HIPosts: 754Member
    Did a lot of the personal story on my first character and did not enjoy it so I skipped it on my oithers. The nice thing is that it is optional.

Missions that needed to be zerged via run in do damage, die, run back do damage, die, over and over, until it was complete.

Very sloppy design.

L2P issue. Big one it seems.

No it isnt.

Only thing SWTOR has are better cuscenes, story itself is about same quality level (bad) and from RPG stand GW2 is far ahead since it at least has SOME consequences based on choice.

Originally posted by mikahr

Very sloppy design.

No it isnt.

Only thing SWTOR has are better cuscenes, story itself is about same quality level (bad) and from RPG stand GW2 is far ahead since it at least has SOME consequences based on choice.

that was one of my biggest issues with swtor story.. yes you got options to change what people said and change part of what happens in the particular scene but overall you always went to the same place and did the same sequence of events no matter what.. at least in gw2 i have numerous choices to change where I go, who i fight, and who i talk to especially upto level 50

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member

Very sloppy design.

No it isnt.

SWTOR had much better presentation for the stories.  I'm not talking about the cutscenes either, but the pacing.  With GW2, you often had to go several levels before being able to advance to the next stage, by which time any emotional impact it might have had is lost.  With SWTOR, you had the class stories and the planet stories playing out, plus actual one-shot quests that were at least somewhat engaging due to the solid voice acting.

With GW2, the time spent in between personal story quests ammounted to filling up hearts on the map.  I don't know how many people even read the heart descriptions, but most were pretty bland, reading more like a list of objectives than contributing to anything resembling a story.  And when you do finally get to your next personal story quest, you have to sit through some of the worst voice acting in any recent game.  It's like they just phoned it in during the lunch break for whatever job they *really* do.

As for story consequences, SWTOR again takes the cake.  There are a handful of failry major choices you get to make throughout the story which often results in various people living or dying or betraying or whatever.  On paper, those choices might seem trivial, but in practice they have real impact since the character development of the game is so much better.

Anyway, not saying SWTOR is the greatest story ever told, or even a good game to play.  I just think it's rediculous to try and argue that GW2 does it better than SWTOR in everything except cutscenes...

You make me like charity

Originally posted by asmkm22

Very sloppy design.

No it isnt.

SWTOR had much better presentation for the stories.  I'm not talking about the cutscenes either, but the pacing.  With GW2, you often had to go several levels before being able to advance to the next stage, by which time any emotional impact it might have had is lost.  With SWTOR, you had the class stories and the planet stories playing out, plus actual one-shot quests that were at least somewhat engaging due to the solid voice acting.

With GW2, the time spent in between personal story quests ammounted to filling up hearts on the map.  I don't know how many people even read the heart descriptions, but most were pretty bland, reading more like a list of objectives than contributing to anything resembling a story.  And when you do finally get to your next personal story quest, you have to sit through some of the worst voice acting in any recent game.  It's like they just phoned it in during the lunch break for whatever job they *really* do.

As for story consequences, SWTOR again takes the cake.  There are a handful of failry major choices you get to make throughout the story which often results in various people living or dying or betraying or whatever.  On paper, those choices might seem trivial, but in practice they have real impact since the character development of the game is so much better.

Anyway, not saying SWTOR is the greatest story ever told, or even a good game to play.  I just think it's rediculous to try and argue that GW2 does it better than SWTOR in everything except cutscenes...

the pacing in gw2 is really an issue I agree.. I would of liked more story sequences overall as there is sometimes way ot big of a gap inbetween them... although i found best way to do the story is wait till you are around level 60 or so to even start the story then you don't get that disconnect. But again i don't play MMOs for the story, usually if it even has one to begin with thats a bonus and if its got decent full VO thats another bonus, and if it gives good XP another bonus:)

i also really dissagree on the worst VO.. only games i'd say have slightly better VO when it comes to a MMO is swtor and TSW but then again in those two games story was its #1 selling point for gw2 it was not

Originally posted by asmkm22

Oh really? Then why i always forgot what story even was due to exterme amount of filler generic MMO quests in SWTOR that you HAD to do to just level so you can actually do, you know, personal story? I see some bias here...And due to level scaling doing story missions at higher level is much more satisfying and viable in GW2 than in SWTOR that it isnt even comparable

Mmmm, just no. And how many people actually spacebarred through filler/story quests in SWTOR? Spacebarring was so sought after (along with "hide helmet option") that they even wanted it as payed option for their extended trial they misscalled F2P but due to gigantic reaction of SUBBERS they didnt do it.

There are NO consequrnces in SWTOR. Period. Some may live, some may die (in cutsecne mind you) but consequences of your choices are 0 NOTHING changes regardless if someone lives or dies. BIGGEST dissapointment in SWTOR

SWTOR is tad over other MMOs in stories, stories are cliches, bland and generally bad. They cannot even be compared to single player games. Yah, SWTOR has best cutscenes. It certanly didnt help it much

Dont overexert yourself over it, SWTOR didnt deliver.

• VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon

I enjoyed the personal story the most...

I wish they'd put more effort into that system instead of the 'dynamic' events system. The event were great for a couple weeks.. but then got pretty boring. I would have liked more story.. like.. if each zone in the game had a personal story series of it's own. That would have been great.

• AzureProwerAzurePrower AustraliaPosts: 1,508Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Karteli I applaud you for having the endurance to suffer through GW2's story.  I got maybe halfway and was already looking for a new game to play.  Very bad acting, lifeless characters staring off into nothingness, yet somehow engaging in a conversation.  Missions that needed to be zerged via run in do damage, die, run back do damage, die, over and over, until it was complete.   Very sloppy design.   SWTOR has far more gripping storylines, was more immersive, and has better acting.
    VO is subjective but I'd say it'shardly worse(and id say much better overall) than most other MMOs with only swtor and TSW being an exception

i don't think many of these people who complain about VO have watched many american dubbed anime.. you want some horrible VO some of those are... well yea..... of course there are exceptions as there have been some good american dubbed anime:)

Trahearne says hi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN0W2j-XWR8

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer RomePosts: 557Member Uncommon

I actually feel very discouraged when I read young players are impressed by Guild War 2's main story. It shows a bit the standards of character depth and narrative that we're getting from a few years back to these days.

In the age where Hollywood movies are measured by the visual appeal of special effects and sexy cleavages, it's likely that shameful pieces of brain vomit with bland and untalented voiceovers like GW2's main story will triumph. Very, very sad.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

Originally posted by Alber_gamer

I actually feel very discouraged when I read young players are impressed by Guild War 2's main story. It shows a bit the standards of character depth and narrative that we're getting from a few years back to these days.

In the age where Hollywood movies are measured by the visual appeal of special effects and sexy cleavages, it's likely that shameful pieces of brain vomit with bland and untalented voiceovers like GW2's main story will triumph. Very, very sad.

Same way i felt with SWTOR. Though i was expecting much more from SWTOR since it was to be highlight of the game, while GW2 just "had it" and never claimed it was "the thing"

Yah, its light, fun and non-obtrusive.

Dont think MMOs are genre where anyone should look for some ultra deep top stories. Go read War&Peace for that ;P

• MagnetiaMagnetia SydneyPosts: 1,029Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

No stable characters, no relationship with bad guy, jumpy, confusing and with terrible pacing.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

Originally posted by AzurePrower

Originally posted by Karteli I applaud you for having the endurance to suffer through GW2's story.  I got maybe halfway and was already looking for a new game to play.  Very bad acting, lifeless characters staring off into nothingness, yet somehow engaging in a conversation.  Missions that needed to be zerged via run in do damage, die, run back do damage, die, over and over, until it was complete.   Very sloppy design.   SWTOR has far more gripping storylines, was more immersive, and has better acting.
    VO is subjective but I'd say it'shardly worse(and id say much better overall) than most other MMOs with only swtor and TSW being an exception

Trahearne says hi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN0W2j-XWR8

i don't have any major problems with Trahearne as a character or his VO.. main issue i have with Trahearne is the story focus shifted more towards him than me towards the end... i liked Tybalt and Sieran 100x better though and wish they were in it through the end instead of Trahearne

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Fayetteville, NCPosts: 125Member

i was human and noble and picked sister. order of whisper

started out great!!!! discovers plots and even went to court etc...felt like you were actually important and royality. By the time i got to the find your lost sister it lost some appeal but wasnt too bad..

order of whisper was ok....some cool missions...

the last chapter was the worst ever...u were second in command

just felt like the flow was one sec im with quinn and he dissapears and now im fighting for the earth...

• jpnzjpnz SydneyPosts: 3,529Member
    Other than the objectively bad "make no sense" parts, you got no char that was above "I am good guy X or I am bad guy Y"

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Yahoo, COPosts: 4,990Member

Incredibly weak portion of the game.

Especially considering how it ends.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

2»