Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runescape: 'Old School' Servers Now Open

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Runescape players with a nostalgic bent will want to check out the newly opened 'old school' servers. Old School servers roll Runescape back to a 2007 version with improvements for today's gamers.

Your passion and drive has brought Old School RuneScape back into existence, and it's the community as much as the game itself that provide our fondest memories. So far we've done our bit bringing back the servers, but now it's up to YOU to make it a community - enjoy the game, help your friends, be kind and considerate to your fellow players, and as always, please give us your feedback. Let's all get involved in building an awesome Old School community together.

Find out more about Old School servers on the Runescape site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I'd return to WoW if they made a Vanilla server like this.
  • BoudewijnsBoudewijns Member UncommonPosts: 162

great now give the goldspammers more reason to spam ur ass of, my spambox now isnt full enough ....

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

One more company gonna give this "classic" thing a try huh?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    Never played Runescape but interesting concept. As much fun as I had in vanilla WoW I wonder if I would get those old vibes back......
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I kind of wish it got less votes.  It received enough to get a development team that will probably make changes (and screw things up).  If it were to remain stagnant (had it received less votes) it still would have taken about 2000 hours or so to max out.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    i have no clue what the difference is between 2007 RS and 2012 RS
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

Mainly graphics and the combat system. And they made the famous RS grind slightly easier. It still made me quit though ^.^

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by sacredfool
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

Mainly graphics and the combat system. And they made the famous RS grind slightly easier. It still made me quit though ^.^

This version of 2007 RS doesn't have the auction house either I believe... if that's the case that truely is when runescape was best and purely community driven.

I'd also like to add, you need to be a member to vote in that poll, they have over 340,000 votes already... so we know Runescape after 10 years still has well over 300,000 subscribers...that are active and willing to vote in a poll, they are definitely in the 500k-1mil range overall.

Second most successful MMO all-time next to WoW, that's for sure.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    :( only member can play atm, until voting finished assuming it gets over half a million votes from people who are already members.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

2007?

I remember playing way back in like...2005? or am i mistaken? were there even older servers versions?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

2007?

I remember playing way back in like...2005? or am i mistaken? were there even older servers versions?

Game came out in like 2001 or somthing like that, i beleive 2007 is before they brought out the AH and Fast skill gain stuff.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

I'd also like to add, you need to be a member to vote in that poll, they have over 340,000 votes already... so we know Runescape after 10 years still has well over 300,000 subscribers...that are active and willing to vote in a poll, they are definitely in the 500k-1mil range overall.

If you're going by numbers there are other games out there that have a playerbase that large and larger too... 

Smile

Originally posted by Razeekster

If you're going by numbers there are other games out there that have a playerbase that large and larger too... 

No, there's no other MMO on the market currently with 1 million subscribers other than WoW, Runescape has been over 2m at one point and has maintained 500k-2m for many years.

WoW is in a league of it's own though, but still Runescape is no doubt second most successful, between Runescape and Runescape classic theres currently 195,000 players online, I remember when it would get as high as 270,000 people online at one time. It's a very big MMO and has remained that way for many years.

• LionShardLionShard Member UncommonPosts: 30
    League of Legends. And yes, it's an MMO. Then you have recent TERA going F2P and stuff. Runescape was never that much of a great game anyways....
  • tablotablo Member UncommonPosts: 40

No, there's no other MMO on the market currently with 1 million subscribers other than WoW, Runescape has been over 2m at one point and has maintained 500k-2m for many years.

WoW is in a league of it's own though, but still Runescape is no doubt second most successful, between Runescape and Runescape classic theres currently 195,000 players online, I remember when it would get as high as 270,000 people online at one time. It's a very big MMO and has remained that way for many years.

Runescape is not that big. They never had 2million subs or anything close to that. That's what they report as the total accounts made. Look at the ladder and see how many accounts at the bottom never even had one level up.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by LionShard
    League of Legends. And yes, it's an MMO. Then you have recent TERA going F2P and stuff. Runescape was never that much of a great game anyways....

It may be an mmo but it's not an rpg.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Runescape was my first mmorpg, good times as I started when I was 9. I remember RS Classic, this appears to be a roll-back but not as far back as that. Still the auction house ruined the game when they removed the community's ability to control the economy. Still will never go back to RS, just too far in the wrong direction than what I'm used to now.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    You have to actually click to skill that's about the only difference.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Yeah... if you ignore dozens of other games out there. Poor everquest 1, was such a huge game for a long time and a massive inspiration that shaped WoW into the game it was, yet it gets no credit at all. Heck, Ultima Online which helped establish many of the elements that everquest used and adapted into its game...

but sure, lets give credit purely to a game that gained mass numbers and a browser focused game which, did incredibly well mind you, but isn't at all as large as you push it to be, even when it was in its prime.

• CryrothCryroth Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by tablo

Runescape is not that big. They never had 2million subs or anything close to that. That's what they report as the total accounts made. Look at the ladder and see how many accounts at the bottom never even had one level up.

wrong sir they reported awhile back 1 million subs with 7 million total players and If i recon last year or two years back close to two million .They reported all of this as a event of runescape.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Yeah... if you ignore dozens of other games out there. Poor everquest 1, was such a huge game for a long time and a massive inspiration that shaped WoW into the game it was, yet it gets no credit at all. Heck, Ultima Online which helped establish many of the elements that everquest used and adapted into its game...

but sure, lets give credit purely to a game that gained mass numbers and a browser focused game which, did incredibly well mind you, but isn't at all as large as you push it to be, even when it was in its prime.

WoW lead developers met each other while playing Everquest if i recall correctly.

Originally posted by Caldrin

LOL is not an MMO.

how accurate this is i dont know

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-1.png

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-2.png

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-3.png

http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-4.png

Well technically it could be called a MMO, Mass multi Online.

There a massive amount of player playing LoL

Its is a muiltiplayer game

and its online

So yes it does meet those criteria if u think about it. Certainly isnt what u would usualy call a MMO though.

• Default101Default101 Member UncommonPosts: 55

So 2007 is old school? Making me feel old... I used to play this game right after it came out. 01 or 02 I guess. It was my first MMO. Making a browser game like that in 2001 is simply amazing.