Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

playing mmo`s with your girlfriend

Comments

• pmw4friendpmw4friend Member Posts: 63

Let me have u then jk.... but i just made her read some of the post that y`ll posted and she was like "i dont care what they say, this is between me and you not then."

right now im thinking she might just be doing this to mess with me.

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by DeaconX

My lady and I are both gamers... and both play MMO's... unfortunately, we tend to like very different games.

She's all about TERA and I'm enjoying GW2 and TSW.  I play some TERA with her occasionally but I can never play it for very long before I get sick of it.

Oh my gosh me and my boyfriend are the exact opposite. I love GW2/TSW and he loves TERA. How do people even play that game T_T it's so bad...

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    My wife is more into games than me, so I don't have to worry about her nagging me.
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Originally posted by pmw4friend

Playing mmo`s with your girlfriend

I`m an mmo player and always will be. I been playing mmo`s for as long as i can remember. I only been with my girl a couple of months.

She does not like to see me playing a lot, so when im playing she will be like " Why do you spend more time with playing that stupid game?"

but the fact is that i spend most of my time with her or at work, i only play when im tired and want to relax. so when she says that i be like "women you better come your horses, i play when ever the hell i want to play! so come your a** down im going to play whether you like it or not..."

so my question to you all is "should your girlfriend/boyfriend let you play mmo`s or not let you play because they want you to spend more time with them."

If you'd rather spend time with your MMO than your girlfriend, maybe you should reconsider your relationship?

• pmw4friendpmw4friend Member Posts: 63
    Its not that I rather spend more time playing mmo'S but just like everyone needs there own personal time to relax and come down, I should also have my personal time
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

At first I had this exact issue :D 

I used to play that wretched game called WOW for far too many hours a week. It was more critical than just casual playing, I was an officer/co-leader of a HC raiding guild so every other night was raiding night and my gf was going mad about it after a few months because I'd spend every other night raiding and not with her... So we had some arguments about it and the usual, you know it. :)

So then I decided I'll devote even more time to her, so I took a break for about a month or 2 from HC raiding and I've spent more time with her but, I was clever enough to try and introduce her with other MMORPG games during that time... Some games with theme she'd really like, I've told her.. If I'm doing something that she wants, I'd like her to try and do something that I like to do in my free time. So during that time she kinda liked playing mmorpgs with me. After some time I offered her to play WOW with me, bought her the game and everything, and we actually played wow together ... She even shared that account with my sister for a little while :D

We stopped playing WOW not long after that, but it was worth it because ever since that she likes MMORPG games and we're playing them together, we even bought XBOX 360 so we can play games, we're both playing GW2, I'm playing EVE (she doesn't get how that game can be fun to me so she doesn't play it, but she doesn't groan as well when I'm playing it) and I just showed her how cool characters (Porios I think) look in TERA so she might even play that  (I'm not playing TERA)...

We're not really playing every day because well, times changed and we don't have much free time anymore to play games but that 1 - 2 months 4 years ago was damn worth it :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    What's a "girlfriend"?
  • asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645
    Its not that I rather spend more time playing mmo'S but just like everyone needs there own personal time to relax and come down, I should also have my personal time

Well, when she takes her free time, you'll take yours. Otherwise, tough luck mate. I doubt she needs you next to her whenever she goes to the bathroom or has studies/work to do.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

In my opion the longer you two are together the worse its gonna get. She is setting you up to make a choice down the road Her or your Gaming ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117

Tera is the best MMO for relationships with your girlfriend.

I've played pretty much every MMO under the sun, including GW2, which she liked very much, but Tera was definitely the best for us.  A lot of people complain about Tera's linear gameplay, this is actually a huge plus when you are playing with your girlfriend.  In GW2 I would stop in the middle of a heart quest to do an event, and that would drive her crazy.  Also GW2 has a lot of false choices in class design, she didn't understand the concept of min/maxing stats and that would lead to arguments.  Last but not least the game doesn't have the trinity, so I would be slaughtering my group of mobs and she would be getting killed by her group.

Tera's linear structure might make the game more repetitive, but it also leads to a lot less arguments, which is a next boost in quality time together.  She picks a dps class and she has all the tools she needs to do her job effectively, I pick a tank and hold aggro so she can focus on doing her job which is dps, and everybody has a good time.  She's also the artistic type so she likes games that look beautiful, but she doesn't like spending money on high end gaming rigs.  Tera just looks so much better on lower settings then most MMOs.

And keep in mind, I'm not bashing either game, as a veteran gamer I enjoy both games for their unique styles.  However since we are talking about game relationships, out of all the mmos we tried together, Tera was definitely #1 on her list, and since she wears the pants in the relationship, it's #1 on my list as well.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by Bigbadwlf

I've played pretty much every MMO under the sun, including GW2, which she liked very much, but Tera was definitely the best for us.  A lot of people complain about Tera's linear gameplay, this is actually a huge plus when you are playing with your girlfriend.  In GW2 I would stop in the middle of a heart quest to do an event, and that would drive her crazy.  Also GW2 has a lot of false choices in class design, she didn't understand the concept of min/maxing stats and that would lead to arguments.  Last but not least the game doesn't have the trinity, so I would be slaughtering my group of mobs and she would be getting killed by her group.

Tera's linear structure might make the game more repetitive, but it also leads to a lot less arguments, which is a next boost in quality time together.  She picks a dps class and she has all the tools she needs to do her job effectively, I pick a tank and hold aggro so she can focus on doing her job which is dps, and everybody has a good time.  She's also the artistic type so she likes games that look beautiful, but she doesn't like spending money on high end gaming rigs.  Tera just looks so much better on lower settings then most MMOs.

And keep in mind, I'm not bashing either game, as a veteran gamer I enjoy both games for their unique styles.  However since we are talking about game relationships, out of all the mmos we tried together, Tera was definitely #1 on her list, and since she wears the pants in the relationship, it's #1 on my list as well.

I'm surprised she doesn't object to the pedophile depiction of little girls in short skirts in TERA.

Most of the women I know object strongly to that stuff. Then too, they have kids, so maybe that's why they have that perspective.

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67

I can't get past you saying come instead of calm. Seriously?

I play MMOs with my significant other. No issues here.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

I tried very hard to get my wife into MMORPG gaming, even buying her accounts to DAOC and WOW back in the early days but it just didn' t stick.  She claims she doesn't want to get her life tied up in gaming like I do. image

Not sure if its a matter of not liking any gaming (she'll play spider solitare for a few hours) or I haven't found the right MMO that might be of more interest than the combat/PVP focused titles I favor.

We've had our blow ups over gaming, one time she gave me the ultimatum, it was either I chose her or gaming.  I told her it was nice knowing her but I thought it was a silly reason to end a 25 year marriage (true story)

Thing is, I'm not one of those 40+ hour a week gamers, at my peak I probably never did more than 25 hours and these days I'm lucky if I game more than 15 hours a week.

I also started using a gaming laptop so I could at least be in the same room as her while she watches TV and I've learned to half follow along so I can do the proper feedback with a "wow, that's great, bad etc" when prompted. (always easier if watching a rerun of something I've seen before)

When I married her video games were in bars and arcades, so we never forsaw the direction my passion for board games at the time would take me. (used to love to play Axis and Allies, Conquest of the Empire etc)

As for playing video games with my girlfriend, I don't think my wife would like that very much.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    My imaginary gf plays MMOs and a lot of other games with me. But for some reason when we join a larger group for a dungeon or something, no one responds to her at all. No one even lets her have loot or anything. She gets rather annoyed about that.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Sijjistoryus

My wife and I played Diablo 2.

Years later...

Diablo 3 was about to release. I purchased her an expensive gaming laptop (she wanted a laptop). I bought her a D3 CE Edition. She played it 4 times. Her sister now has the laptop and Blizzard has my 80 bucks.

I wasn't going to comment in this thread, but wow. You got pwned... Maybe she will ike PoE?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Playing mmo's with your girlfriend

I see, pasted in from a phone-editor or Word or some other silly-buggers typographic mess?

(inserted grave accent (U60) instead  of an apostrophe (U27), bugged me given that it's in no way a quotation....just curious how that happened)

`'´ I can't even intentionally force my phone to use either grave or acute accent characters. :now I'm baffled:

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I can't tell whether this thread is serious or not because the OP's attitude toward his "woman" almost seems like a parody of old fashioned patriarchal machoism. 

If you really want a serious answer, however, I will give one.  You like gaming.  It's a hobby of yours.  It's part of who you are.  Nobody should have to change or be embarassed about their hobbies (presuming the hobby is ethical) in order to satisfy anyone else.  Rather, you should find someone who accepts your hobby. 

I also don't believe it's important to have a significant other who shares your hobby.  Quite the contrary, it's usually very healthy for you to each have your own hobbies and interests.  You should certainly share some activities together and spend time together doing things that interest you both (or sometimes sacrifices have to be made and you each have to do something the other enjoys even though you may not), but you also need to be able to get some time away and do your own things every now and then.  It's all about a healthy balance. 

I suggest you try to make her understand that gaming is something you do and a part of who you are.  Show her the pros of gaming, and how you play games responsibly like you would any other hobby.  You can certainly invite her to play with you if she seems receptive, but don't press the issue.  There's no need to force her to play with you. 

• BigbadwlfBigbadwlf Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Originally posted by Greyhooff
    Originally posted by Bigbadwlf

I'm surprised she doesn't object to the pedophile depiction of little girls in short skirts in TERA.

Most of the women I know object strongly to that stuff. Then too, they have kids, so maybe that's why they have that perspective.

The whole pedo argument is largely fabricated.  I haven't heard a single complaint from people that actually plays games or watch anime about Tera's Elins, female or otherwise.  Be careful of that vocal minority on the internet.

Back on topic, there's a lot of female posters saying that the best thing to do is compromise with your significant other, that's not being realistic.  I actually work with a lot of females and one of them said straight up (in a slightly sarcastic tone) that her husband's hopes and dreams died when he married her, and the other women nodded in acknowledgement, so take from that info what you will.

Love it or not, the OP's gaming career is over if his woman says it's over.  I've been gaming for a long time, and everybody that I knew got in a loving relationshp vanished from the gaming industry, and soon it will be your turn.  I'm one of the few lucky ones in that I found a game that my girl is willing to play with me with, otherwise I would be in a similiar situation.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298

I`m an mmo player and always will be. I been playing mmo`s for as long as i can remember. I only been with my girl a couple of months.

She does not like to see me playing a lot, so when im playing she will be like " Why do you spend more time with playing that stupid game?"

but the fact is that i spend most of my time with her or at work, i only play when im tired and want to relax. so when she says that i be like "women you better come your horses, i play when ever the hell i want to play! so come your a** down im going to play whether you like it or not..."

so my question to you all is "should your girlfriend/boyfriend let you play mmo`s or not let you play because they want you to spend more time with them."

Batchelor a word you ever heard? haha joking.  I can see why, it is time you do not want to spend with them and would rather spend with strangers (well internet-friends).  It would piss me off as well. 

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

Does your gf not have a job?  Are you guys living together?  Does she have her own friends? 

If she had a job, you could play while she is working.

If you aren't living together, alone time to play games will happen no matter what.

If she has her own friends, let her go out with them, and play games.

Of course, what you all describe makes me happy I'm not straight!  Men are very understanding when it comes to other men's hobbies!

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

You need to alternate: pay them some attention, play a while, pay them some attention, play a while etc and don't leave too long a gap between the attention parts.

Think of it like watering a plant but a plant that needs a lot of watering - except when they're watching their favourite shows when they'll want you to **** off and not bother them.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    i love playing MMO with my girlfriend, it makes me a better person with all this patience i have to show with her noob gamestyle, also being a noob makes me enjoy the game farther, its like exploring a whole new world ^^

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Re-reading this thread, I just suddenly realized that I've been on the other side of the equation: I once had a girlfriend who was into MUDS before I was online (I was focused entirely on my pencil and paper game at the time).  I'm not sure if things would have turned out better or worse if I had shared in her hobby. 

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek
    I only play MMOs with my girlfriend when my wife is out of town.

image thanks for the laugh

On Topic:

My wife doesn't game, apart from some android games on her phone. We do allot of things together but we also have our "own" time, "own time" for her it's mostly shopping, girlfriends, for me it's friends/gym and gaming. These are just things we often might do on without eachother. She's also a teacher so we have a sort of small office at home, where when she has to do some work at home, rapports etc.., I can either do the same or play games. Same like this moment I'm here on mmorpg.com, she's working besides me working on her new group plan for next week. And she also has her own hobby's

I have tried to get her intrested in games, but they just arn't something she likes, but she also doesn't dislike me liking games. She actually enjoy's me gaming more then me going out with friends.

Which brings me back to OP wondering if his wife/girlfriend also has her own hobby's? If so then shouldn't you alway's respect both hobby's even if they might be very different from eachother? Perhaps if as you say you spend allot of time with her aswell my questions might be more appropriate to ask your girlfriend image

• eleveeleve Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by Zunaah

Thankfuly I don't have this problem. I'm already a gamer chick and I converted my man to MMO's

dito image