Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

most indepth mmorpg

Comments

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by rogue187
    just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't have depth...it has more content than any game out there...it can ( as a noob) keep you busy for years.. it kept me busy...like i said it depends on your outlook of what "in depth" is...

Im going to assume this is just trolling, but in case it isnt...

EQ2 (the game that came out within 2 weeks of WoW) beats WoW in content and its not remotely close.  And amount fo content isnt a big factor in depth anyway.

themepark depth order:

EQ2

LOTRO

RIFT

WoW

TERA

SWToR

Ill agree with ur list there, however i qould put Everquest 1 somewhere before rift (although old game it did have alot of depth in it atleast i reckon it does) I would also consider putting vanguard in there aswell somewhere although i havant played vanguard from what i heard it definetly deserve a spot in that list.

I dont consider EQ1 a themepark (I think quest hubs are a defining themepark feature, EQs leveling structure is far too open ended), but VG does get slotted probably right above Rift.

I agree with u here again, i also dont beleive the OP specified weather or not he wanted a themepark which is why i said EQ although i could of missed it. :P

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Icewhite

All right, from this morning then, was it not Lineage II advertising 32 classes? It's certainly old enough to have "skills" depth, though I haven't seen the game...well, ever (just Lineage I). Crafting--presumably we've looking for a sandbox-level crafting game for that, yes? Maybe?

DAoC has close to 50 classes, each with various skill paths to choose from.  

But for me, depth is much more than sheer numbers.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

But for me, depth is much more than sheer numbers.

Agreed

Judging by his one-and-only other post, nothing mentioned so far is very close to what he's really after. TERA, maybe? I'm not well educated on Manga-y MMOs. FFXIV?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Age of Conan 

Lotro

EvE

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

LONG REPLY:

Depthwise, I personally like to look at how a fantasy world would really play out (as if it were a real place).

MMORPGS create fantasy mmorpgs where players all start on a beach and end up beating each other down fairly soon afterwards (age of conan), or they run freely between quests, possibly sneering at each other while pveing together before meeting each other once more in a pvp zone for some action (TSW). 

There are a lot of examples of just oversimplified mmorpg concepts where folks pvp for really no reason at all.  WIth GW2, we had another same race class e-sport example of pvp...same races beating each other down for various reasons.  While I know that can be fun - I don't see it as depth.  Race, culture and religion were very very important in the ancient to medieval (and heck even now) world.  That being said:

Dark Age of Camelot peaked with 44 classes and 24 races.  Three realms were offered to choose from in which you would level a particular race class combination that fit into the culture of the realm you chose.  These different realms didn't chat it up in a local town, nor did they see each other running through each other's capitals, towns, and so forth.  Because in reality the guards would have killed the enemy realm on sight - so who would even want to go there?

RvR was not a flah capture or something that mimicked what we did on the playground as kids.  Dark Age of Camelot offered siege defense and offense - i.e., the taking of keeps, towers and castles by either reclaiming your own or taking the keept tower or castle of any enemy realm.  In certain combination your realm could capture relics and bring them back in order to grant benefits to your entire realm.  A warpam displayed the 24 hour a day 7 day a week conflict as strongholds flipped back and forth between armies.

Three mythologies:

The three realms were based on real to life lore that we all know.  Albion represented Arthurian lore, along with Camelot and her knights, Midgard represented Nordic lore, along with Odin, Thor and so forth as example deities, and architecture, armor, weapon and clothing styles that matched the Viking conquest period of the 9th century.  Finally we had Hibernia, the land of Gaels and Celts, Elves and so forth...and the emerald isle herself. 

Each realm had 1-50th level zones and her own massive persistant PvP/RvR frontiers.  The pve zones were a place to immerse into your particular culture, drink a few cold ones and share stories with your group mates while you raided lore based content in your realm. 

Hibernia alone had 20 zones (that I recall) for levling, 18 dungeons,  4 RvR frontier zones, 9 housing zones, 26 instanced dungeons (mostly for leveling up) and one outdoor instance (The Foothills of Hibernia).  In this single example of a realm, you had Celt, Firbolg, Lurikeen, Sylvan, Shar or Minotaur to choose from for a race.  You could be a druid, bard, or warden for heal based races, a hero, champion, valewalker or blademaster for melee based, a nightshade or ranger for stealth based, an eldritch, enchanter, animist or mentalist for caster based.  Each of these classes had a numbe of paths to follow - there was epic armor that matched your particular class...a massive crafting system and so forth.

That's all on one realm.  There are two others - is that depth enough for you? =D

Just as a side note, with the kickstarter implemented for Camelot Unchained (which continues many of Dark Age of Camelot's concepts) and Elder Scrolls Online (which takes some of Dark Age of Camelot's concepts)....you will have a fresh wash of in depth mmorpg experiences coming your way in the coming year(s).

Until that time please just enjoy whatever you find to be fun, whether WoW (which is a massive project) or GW2 for some fun not so serious pvp action...or what have you.  Fun is going to be unique to your presepective.  Again, if you want depth...

OTOH vaporware can be considered 0 depth.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

looks like every is posting his favorite here eh?

as long you bitch @wow it seems to be a valid opinion *G*

on the other hand, wow offers more depth and content than most of the named games (not talking about eq here with it's sheer mass of expensions).

eve has alot of depth? how deep can you go? all you can do is choose your ship fullfill the trinity (tank, dd, support) and then either mine, do "fly here kill this" missions, pvp or explore the unkown, those 4 options are imo, very deep... totaly agreed)

if it's all about numbers for you, i suggest to find an online calculator. all those numbers you can enter there, and you can do so much funny trhings with em, add, substract... mulitiply!

first multiplier mmo ever actually!

be a 5! add 3 and substract 2. 

team up with other numbers to form impressigly high numbers (as a nine with 3 zeros you can actually do a 9000!)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Wonder if the op had any clue about the hornet's nest he poked with his stick.

Anyway, should he ever return: I tried, dude. Sorry if my guesses were wrong.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Wonder if the op had any clue about the hornet's nest he poked with his stick.

Anyway, should he ever return: I tried, dude. Sorry if my guesses were wrong.

With his almost complete non-presence, in the thread, I'd say poking the hornets nest may have been intentional.

So my two cents:

The game with the most depth to me is the one with the deepest holes.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

I think some of you may be aided by understanding the difference between Depth and Complexity.

Watch This

Eve is complex.

I would guess an MMO with depth would be one that has multiple viable builds per class.  Where the process of choosing what synergies you want in your character is a practice of opportunity cost rather than choosing what is most powerful.

Having multiple builds per class would make combat have more depth due to the amount of different abilities that can be brought to the field.  This also makes each individual class take longer to master.

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    Originally posted by Maephisto

I think some of you may be aided by understanding the difference between Depth and Complexity.

Watch This

Eve is complex.

I would guess an MMO with depth would be one that has multiple viable builds per class.  Where the process of choosing what synergies you want in your character is a practice of opportunity cost rather than choosing what is most powerful.

Having multiple builds per class would make combat have more depth due to the amount of different abilities that can be brought to the field.  This also makes each individual class take longer to master.

Dunno, eve seems deep from the pov of offering different experiences based on your choices.

You can have billions of viable builds (mandatory d3 jab), but if you are still required to supply 10k dps at endgame as everyone else...

Flame on!

:)

• vorathianvorathian Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Hands down DDO. Name another game that has multiclassing, racial ehancement system, class ehancements....and substantial differences between races and classes. So in regards to depth and real character customization DDO. At first I didnt like all the instancing but the depth of the game's actual mechanics and how much fun it is keeps me playing. If you want to give it a try play a cleaving fighter :)
  • Insane666Insane666 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    im bit of biased here by my undieing love to the game, even tho im on a break that already takes like 3 years, but for me it always was and still is Anarchy Online, no other game offers such a depth when it comes to developing your character, not even Eve,,,

Games previously played: AO, AoC, Aion, AoW, Eve, SWTor, WaR, STO, TSW, DCUO, FE, BP, ProjectEntropia, FootballSuperstars!

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247
    just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't have depth...it has more content than any game out there...it can ( as a noob) keep you busy for years.. it kept me busy...like i said it depends on your outlook of what "in depth" is...

EQ2 (the game that came out within 2 weeks of WoW) beats WoW in content and its not remotely close.  And amount fo content isnt a big factor in depth anyway.

themepark depth order:

EQ2

LOTRO

RIFT

WoW

TERA

SWToR

Ill agree with ur list there, however i qould put Everquest 1 somewhere before rift (although old game it did have alot of depth in it atleast i reckon it does) I would also consider putting vanguard in there aswell somewhere although i havant played vanguard from what i heard it definetly deserve a spot in that list.

I'll second your agreement with the list, and your adjustments as well -

However, I would move the current WoW to the bottom because one of the included items in the OP's idea of "indepth" was talents, and the talent system in MoP is absolutely boring, if you are loking for something with a lot of choices. It has been made more "user-friendly" and people will talk about it as a "quality of life improvement", but it's not a "game improvement".

I personally don't game to make it easy on myself.

The EQ devs understand depth much better than the WoW devs, and there is more of a sense of involvement in the game, as opposed to the focus on "end-game raiding". Now, flip side to that is the WoW end-game focus has spread like a plague to all of the MMOGs and so the people you play with are much more likely to play that way, so your expereince in EQII won't necessarily be deeper, but the potential is there.

Oh, and I'd add Age of Conan and put it just below LOTRO.

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Smokeysong

themepark depth order:

EQ2

LOTRO

RIFT

WoW

TERA

SWToR

I'll second your agreement with the list, and your adjustments as well -

However, I would move the current WoW to the bottom because one of the included items in the OP's idea of "indepth" was talents, and the talent system in MoP is absolutely boring, if you are loking for something with a lot of choices. It has been made more "user-friendly" and people will talk about it as a "quality of life improvement", but it's not a "game improvement".

I personally don't game to make it easy on myself.

The EQ devs understand depth much better than the WoW devs, and there is more of a sense of involvement in the game, as opposed to the focus on "end-game raiding". Now, flip side to that is the WoW end-game focus has spread like a plague to all of the MMOGs and so the people you play with are much more likely to play that way, so your expereince in EQII won't necessarily be deeper, but the potential is there.

Oh, and I'd add Age of Conan and put it just below LOTRO.

I don't know of anyone that likes the MoP talent changes.  Ill be very curious to see what they do for the next expansion, to see if they start heading the other way again.  If not for the talent tree changes MoP would be regarded as the best WoW expansion.

The list realy breaks down to the games above Rift have depth, the games below are pretty shallow, and Rift is somewhere inbetween.  

I didnt last long in AoC so I can't judge it.  Might have to give it another shot one of these days.

LOTRO is the sneaky one though.  When you first start it, the game si straightforward and the classes seem static with limited skills, and not much going on.  But that game gradually adds depth and substance the higher level you get.  

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Although outdated. WoW does not come within an AU unit of the content and depth present in EQ1. It still has expansions releasing, adding to that depth.

Seems obvious to me that you started with WoW. I don't mean that in a demeaning way. Just if you really think it has the most depth, then you didn't play any before it...or completely ignore some others that may surpass it because it's your personal favorite. Seems to me anyways. But I could be wrong and you could just be trolling too. /shrug

P.S. WoW's content doesn't take years. Even if you do absolutely everything there is within it. Eve can take years. But I feel mainly due to the skill system where it can take months to train one skill.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

"by indepth i mean like the most choices in classes and crafting and skills and of combining skills"

UO, AC, and EVE Online would be my choices.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Ive played everything.

EVE Online is above other MMORPGs by a mile in terms of depth.

Second place I would give to Everquest 2. This game is just crazy in how many things you can do there. 

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Has always been EvE
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    what about Fallen Earth? That's a pretty complex MMO

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644
    Surely FFXI belongs on that list somewhere.
  • SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247

There is a difference between "busy-work" and "depth".

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Eve has the greatest end game there can be, real politics with real people and real consequences.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

I don't think any MMO is "deep" in the sense that folks mean it in this thread. MMOs are part of the superficial carrot-stick style of gaming.

Although, well thought out lore and overdone complexity makes many of these games seem deep, but it's mostly an illusion.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Well 'deep' here is within the context of mmo's. Ultimately you could argue only life is deep (or not)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D