Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would happen if a AAA sandbox mmo be released?

1235»

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Scot
    The Sims Online?, Come on you snuck that one in there as a wind up. :)

Guilty as charged. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• prognarprognar Member Posts: 12

I't wont happen, not many people function all that well in games that require self direction, from memory Ultima online was pretty close to sandbox and probably Runescape as well, guess even eve online and perpetuum.  

Like everyone else has pretty much said, if one was released, people would just complain a lot, you know being f2p probably, also everyone would become armchair designers, and have a big cry about how the developer hasnt designed the game exactly for them then make a massive rant about it, probably making the game sound worse then it really is because they havent yet found a game that will replace their RL, where they can troll and generally be themselves and hopefully leave the forums for good (never going to happen, dreams are free).

• exdeathbrexdeathbr Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Originally posted by infiniti70

If gamers could imagine this on a larger scale, in a MMORPG world. Perma death does not have to mean one death, but a limit on deaths so that dying meant one step closer to the end. How much can I accomplish in my time? Getting a sense of true accomplishment. 

If you stretch a little permadeath can not even mean permadeath. This is made by having 2 separated servers. Of course the non-permadeath server  (will not be a permadeath one), but you would have permadeath with the other server.

Anyway even with that (the second thread I made) they complained saying they would complain about the game, saying "it should not be made, it should be banned"....

Less permadeath than that, just if I use their own words against them (will not say what those words are, in the case I try to make a third thread) and say if they would accept it.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Q: AAA Sandbox?

A: " Theres nothing to do but grind" - Rage quits and goes back to the themepark hes bored to tears with.

People have been conditioned, we have passed the point of no return.  Its nothing but MMOaction games and MMOFPS from here on out...dont care if you toss some dwarfs and elves make a half assed uber-restricted crafting system and call it a mmorpg...its not an RPG

I think the bigwig honeypot of the future isnt going to be casual PC gamers, arguably the cause for the decline of mmorpgs...its going to be casual counsol players...or worse...casual facebookers....its not going to get any better, you guys dumped waaaay too much money at the problem for it to go away.

Keep buying that new "innovative" mmo"rpg" with dynamic quest hubs!!!! and...and...fuck it its groundbreaking man.....!!!!...they fix everything thats wrong with mmorpgs by making active dodge!!! who cares if its tab target combat!!! GROUNDBREAKING MAN~!!!

Yeha keep giving them money to make these games, laugh at sandboxes for trying to do something different, if not only because people only seem to want deifferent until they get it...then its..."why isnt this like what im use to?"

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by sea.shell

I've voted option 2, but in contrary to the vote i do not blame the players.
    In fact today it's all about hype. Hiding facts and real information while offering pre-orders or "founder packs", including NDA and / or Beta access.

If such a "AAA Sandbox" would have been released today it would claim:

* Awesome potential PVP System
    * Mega deep faction system
    * Super No Endgame, Endgame
    * Not Free "free" PVP
    * Highly interactive adventures
    * Best potential story

It would try to lure everyone from PVE Loot centric Raider to FFA PVP Ganker into buying a pre order / founder pack.

And in the end it would troll on everyone offering nothing - something for everyone. (ignoring the fact that FFA PVP does not go well with PVE Endgame (instance) raiding). If you try to please everyone, you are going to dissappoint everyone.

The thing today is, everything is full of lies and developer (publisher) are all about the big initial rush. Just look at the answers on direct questions from developers. None is honest.

They don't tell you, they will have a generic quest fetch grind system (even in an sandbox). It will be the "Highly interactive adventures". The term sandbox is even disputed and not clear in itself.

One of the reasons i'm a huge fan of CCP (EVE) and Star Citizen is, they don't lie. They don't try to lure everyone for a "box" sell, claiming game features that do no work with fundamental different player preferences.

One reason I am hopeful for ArcheAge is that they have had 6 closed Betas with absolutely no NDA, any of the testers could and did post player generated gameplay videos and reviews. The publisher seems confident it will stand on its merits.

A pleasant change from recent NDA betas with producer generated teaser videos only showing the bits they are happy with.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    how many A's does wakfu fall under

hallo ~_~

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Honestly, i think the casual crowd would flood in several days to a month after release. The game would be treated like a call of duty type game and people would start getting pissed off. Then all the people that treat the game like a walking deathmatch will get pissed off af the game if any form of punishment for breaking the game laws that were put in place and they will leave, usually leaving some form of whine post on MMORPG.com.

It basicly comes down to who lasts longer, the people who love the game and want to see it grow as a sandbox community. Or The people that want to kill shit running around Shooting, Cutting or Zapping everything that moves.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.