Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THIS NEW TESO news is going to shock you all, literally.

Comments

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    Originally posted by archeageking

Get ready for those of you who is waiting on TESO, todays new info just literally shocked me like really really really shocked me.

Get ready, drum rolls please.............ITS ITS http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/zenimax-gets-vocal-about-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Elder scrolls will have full voice overs, DEJA VU anyone ?? ANYONE? someone didnt learn a lesson from swtor, its  a sad sa  sad sad news. i know you all must be shocked and disbelived right about now....

me too.

im sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

SWTOR full voice overs was one of its very few good points. the fact that TESO is gonna do the same is a good thing imo. i just hope they dont blow there entire budget on it.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Your blaming the voice over for swtor failing? Not the fact that it was unfinished, on a poorly optimized engine, with lack of end game content, and completely rng based pvp progression?

In fact the only good things said about swtor was about the voice acting and story.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by deakon

Your blaming the voice over for swtor failing? Not the fact that it was unfinished, on a poorly optimized engine, with lack of end game content, and completely rng based pvp progression?

In fact the only good things said about swtor was about the voice acting and story.

+1

This alone kept me in game for 3 months. Which is longest i have played any MMO without a break ;)

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by endgame1
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    The problem is not too many voiceovers (unless you can't turn them off); the problem is too little of something else that, unlike voiceovers, actually matters.

Agreed.

The only thing I find disconcerting about this is the percentage of the game's budget that must have been appropriated to it. Voice acting can be notoriously expensive, (several hundred thousand dollars per an actor), depending on who you've got doing the voice-overs. 

GW2 used staff for its voiceovers , is there info up that they are paying actors or something? because if they just have staff doing it , it wouldnt cost them a dime

Nolan North, felicia day, steve blum are not "staff" they are proffesional voice actors who have worked on many games, hell most the voice actors from gw2 worked on swtor too

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    figuratively 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Get ready for those of you who is waiting on TESO, todays new info just literally shocked me like really really really shocked me.

Get ready, drum rolls please.............ITS ITS http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/zenimax-gets-vocal-about-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Elder scrolls will have full voice overs, DEJA VU anyone ?? ANYONE? someone didnt learn a lesson from swtor, its  a sad sa  sad sad news. i know you all must be shocked and disbelived right about now....

me too.

Because we all know it was the voice overs that caused that game to do so poorly... Only the voice overs...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Pretty much with everyone else. . Tortage in AoC had voice overs and they added them later to more areas.  It only made those places better in my opinion.  Spending all of your money on developing cutscenes as well and leaving the rest of the game static is what hurt SWTOR.

Also look at all the voice acting in TES games.  They used just a few voice actors and that was it.  Huge difference in what this means.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    your news are not socking at all

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    How full voiceovers is bad news? People nowadays whine about everything. 
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP

There seems to be no limit to the lengths one will go to try and find or create  a negative opinion about a game.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I guess it could be argued that VO work in TOR caused many other features to be problematic/non-existent. As it may have sucked their budget dry. Who knows if that will be the case here? I certainly don't. I can't say I'm shocked either, as I expected it TBH.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    How full voiceovers is bad news? People nowadays whine about everything. 

Welll, if you had actually read the thread and other people's points before dismissing them out of hand you might know.

• insaner666insaner666 Member Posts: 18

You know what? this is a Troll post... the person who posted this is another game fan, a flamer or something, maybe just a kid with narrow view of what a game can or can not be.

In my opinion, the MMORPG crowd is changing from RPG Players, to kids with no clue of what they want.

I want Action based RPG SO LETS BLAME ALL THE NON ACTION MMORPG !!

c'mon guys, lets have a bit more of optimistic view.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by achesoma
    It's not the VO that's bothersome, it's the neverending cutscenes.  I'm more concerned about the half-life of instanced/phased all to hell "megaserver" and single zone pvp.

single zone pvp is only way to make this work and keep players hooked, we all swa what was the outcome warhammer online every map pvp areas, that was doomed idea straight from the start. and battlegrounds are in some other games let them be there.

one pvp zone where factions colladie like every week is the best idea i can think of to keep it intrested.

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

me too.

So upon reading the news the monitor displaying them gave you an electric shock? Because that's what the word "literally" means in that sentence. Also the voice acting made the questing interesting and worthwhile in SWTOR. The reason the game was terrible was because you were voice acted as well and wouldn't always say what you clicked and that the Light- and Darkside points were kind of forcing our answer. Other than that it was just a pure WoW clone with mirrored classes and no imperfect balance. 

We'll see what TESO brings us. But claiming that MMO's with voice acting are automatically terrible is kind of naive. For gods sake, even WoW has it now.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440

I would have been surprised if voice overs were not apart of ESO considering they were put in Oblivion and Skyrim.  Granted, I think they used 4 or 5 people for all the voice overs in the game but they were done pretty good and gave a good bit of immersion to the story line.  Hopefully they will not spend to much on them and they can put the money into other areas that may need the funds.

Ratero.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by m0lly
    Originally posted by achesoma
    It's not the VO that's bothersome, it's the neverending cutscenes.  I'm more concerned about the half-life of instanced/phased all to hell "megaserver" and single zone pvp.

single zone pvp is only way to make this work and keep players hooked, we all swa what was the outcome warhammer online every map pvp areas, that was doomed idea straight from the start. and battlegrounds are in some other games let them be there.

one pvp zone where factions colladie like every week is the best idea i can think of to keep it intrested.

And yet this is what the PvP'ers have been asking for all this time.

Ratero.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

Considering the last few games in the series, especially Skyrim, were voiced over...not a big surprise. And no, I was not literally shocked. That would hurt.

Edit: Honestly I'd be worried if I heard there weren't voice overs.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

See nothing wrong with this at all.

SWTOR failed in so many ways, and VO was NOT one of them, unless you count the fact they spent way to much of their budget, and in my opinion, used the full VO thing as a crutch they hoped would support a game they put little other thought into.

With The Secret World, the VO's really made the game.  They were not as overdone as SWTOR as there were few instances of them, but they were in my opinion very well done and really added depth to an otherwise shallowish game.  Of course, I very very much enjoyed TSW in terms of the story, theme, and immersion in the locality, but the combat system is really what really drove me away.  It was the VO in that game that had me hooked to begin with.

The only game that I can attribute to having a VO system that I wish they would just get rid of is Kingdom of Amalur.  Sure its really a single player RPG, but it's a fully voiceovered game that sounds as if they used three people to do every single one of the hundreds of characters..and they did not even try to change their voice at all either.

No, do not worry about full VO in TESO.  Worry more about Zinimax taking a massive crap on the spirit of TES by going with this cookie cutter, easily massed produced locked faction system instead of spending the time to keep the join what faction you choose, even if it is just a one time choice you do around mid levels.  What they should have done is, allowed you to be a neutral character for the first twenty levels or so, if you choosed, and explore any part of the world you wanted doing quests from the different factions, thus in essences having multiple paths to level, and at level twenty you then join a faction for good and get into the PvP.  If you wanted to PvP sooner you could take mercenary status and fight for whatever faction you wanted.

But hey, maybe the OP is right, and this VO system is bad, as maybe it's whats sucking up all their money and resources, forcing them to do this bullshit faction system that mimics almost every single MMO to date, even though it's a slap in the face to the heritage of TES.

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

Why on earth should this be shocking or surprising? And where does the literal bit come in? I do not appear to be shocked metaphorically let alone literally.

Voiced NPCs

AOC did it for the Tortage area and it worked wonders.

SWTOR did it for everything and it works very well indeed (and you can skip it if you want via the space bar).

I think fully voiced NPCs will be the norm from now on as it is better than non voiced NPCs. As long as you can skip it if you want.

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

me too.

The voice overs were propably the best thing in SWTOR, if they had been missing the game would have sucked even more. Dont tell me they could have put the VO money into other areas of the game, they had HUGE non-voice dev team and they fucked it up, it wasnt about money or VO's, they just had no clue about mmorpgs. The only downside with full VO's I see is that if the game is not a huge success there will be problems implementing future content with this style since it's more expensive.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by endgame1
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    The problem is not too many voiceovers (unless you can't turn them off); the problem is too little of something else that, unlike voiceovers, actually matters.

Agreed.

The only thing I find disconcerting about this is the percentage of the game's budget that must have been appropriated to it. Voice acting can be notoriously expensive, (several hundred thousand dollars per an actor), depending on who you've got doing the voice-overs. 

GW2 used staff for its voiceovers , is there info up that they are paying actors or something? because if they just have staff doing it , it wouldnt cost them a dime

Nolan North, felicia day, steve blum are not "staff" they are proffesional voice actors who have worked on many games, hell most the voice actors from gw2 worked on swtor too

The voice actor community isn't that big and a lot of those actors have BioWare to thank for job opportunities now.

Unfortunatly, using well known VO also mean you get to heard the same voice for different characters and sometimes, well it leave side effects. I won't ever see Mission Vao in KoTOR the same way since I played The Secret World (Cassandra King) and GW2 (Countess Anise).

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by azarhal

Unfortunatly, using well known VO also mean you get to heard the same voice for different characters and sometimes, well it leave side effects. I won't ever see Mission Vao in KoTOR the same way since I played The Secret World (Cassandra King) and GW2 (Countess Anise).

Yeah, though it's the same with all acting, when you are watching a Bruce Willis movie you are watching a Bruce Willis movie. There are many movies that can gain from famous actors, but sometimes they just dont fit, like I dont want to see Bruce Willis in the upcoming Warcraft movie, it would just totally destroy the immersion, movies like Warcraft where you are trying to get immersed in a fantasy setting that is unknown in movie business, the best actors are relatively unknown actors imo.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Here is what we know about full voice over useage.

It cost money.

It takes time or at least more time than doing text.

The time part shouldn't be a big deal in development. They should have a VO team and lots of space before release.  I don't know what happens later when they want to add content and have a smaller team, less time and money.  How many quests has Tor added? How much higher is the level cap? How much more personal story is there since launch?

The money is the big question.  On the one hand, Tor sold more games and made more cash because of voice acting, so it may have paid for itself.  Here is the thing, a game has a budget.  Its like if I have a pie to share with my friends.  If I give half of the pie to one friend the rest will be getting less.  Even if I get more pie later all I have is that one right now.

I don't know how much of the budget is going towards full VO, but the more it costs the less everyone else gets.  Does anyone disagree?

We will have to trust that the Devs know what they are doing.  I am more concerned about locked factions/races really.  There is enough going on that I won't be pre-ordering without playing or reading detailed reviews about the game first.

• Total_HuntTotal_Hunt Member Posts: 65

This isn't new news.

I assume it will be 'fully voiced' like Skyrim / Oblivion. Not long conversations with dialogue choices like Mass Effect / SWTOR.

This discussion has been closed.