Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gear either does or doesn't affect gameplay

itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Does anyone else find it fascinating that the same people who are arguing that Ascended gear doesn't affect gameplay and that the higher stats won't make a difference when in a pve or WvW environment are also the same people who scream and complain constantly that someone is using MF gear while in a dungeon or WvW  thus making it more difficult for the team and dying constantly?

It's either one or the other, it can't be both. Sorry.

Either stats DO make a difference or they don't.

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Does anyone else find it fascinating that the same people who are arguing that Ascended gear doesn't affect gameplay and that the higher stats won't make a difference when in a pve or WvW environment are also the same people who scream and complain constantly that someone is using MF gear while in a dungeon or WvW  thus making it more difficult for the team and dying constantly?

I have been consistant with my insistence that the difference in levels (Exotic vs ascended ) doesnt make that much of a difference.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I don't see the same people complaining about those two things at the same time. Sounds like a strawman to me (unless you can actually cite someone saying something to that effect).

Gear and levels do matter in PvE and WvW. They don't matter in sPvP.

Ascended gear has very minor benefits over exotic. Green gear compared to exotic is an enormous gap. So people that say what you are claiming they say can make some sense in many situations.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    The comment has always been "it doesn't make that much differance to get it or not" but ANYTHING that improves your ablities to do better in a game be it dmg, resistances and more is a benifit. There for Ascended is a must to have and introduced a new grind too which people as myself stopped playing once it was released. Nothing changes that fact and that's what the game has become so be it, that is why I left and won't be going back. Nothing will change that ever.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    They do make a difference. Which means they affect gameplay. In what ways and to what degree is the debate currently.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

The difference between full Exotics and full Ascended will probably be much smaller than the difference in non-MF stats between full MF and no MF. Full MF Exotics are actually worse than non-MF Rares, I think.

Anyway, I think both MF and Ascended suck, but for different reasons. If MF affected your entire party, I wouldn't mind it. Currently it's a stat that helps you and harms your party members. That's why it's not ok.

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Originally posted by Toxia
    They do make a difference. Which means they affect gameplay. In what ways and to what degree is the debate currently.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Gear matters. Go to the laurel vendor and look at the stats on the ascended stuff. Compare that to the MAX stuff a level 400 jewlery maker can craft. You get a definate power boost and there only reason to get 400 jewelery is the achievement or to make yourself a placeholder for the ascended stuff.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

no links to those threads of what you are talking about?  also of course stats make a difference but what you won't notice is if someone is decked in exotics or if someone happens to have the couple of pieces of ascended gear on them.. not to mention you NEED to build for the ascended gear specifically for it to even be usefull at all.. in my current builds ascended gear would hurt my overall effectiveness not help it since ascended isn't even available in all stat combinations.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

It seems to me dungeons are balanced around rare items  - once you reach that plateau the main movers are individual skill, level (for lower than 80 dungeons) and trait/weapons choice.

You wont be able to tell if a player that knows what he is doing is in rares, exotic or ascended or MF gear unless you are controlling the time and you are taking a few seconds-minutes longer.

But it is true, gamers like to be idiots and will bitch about everything.

And no, you still have to dodge and move - game play is equal.

But it is the same in other games - the numbers change but the actions are still the same.

In games with faster cast speeds and faster block/attack animations it can make a difference.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    The people complaining in this forum (doesnt happen in game ) is about ascended gear giving an advantage in pvp - which it doesn't. Exotic v ascended in pve no meaningful difference until agony becomes an issue , which is the whole point of the gear. MF gear in fractals is a nono as it is putting pressure on the group for selfish reasons.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

If someone is concstanly dying he should L2P. Nothing wrong with MF gear if youre skilled enough to pull it off without facing dirt every 2 seconds (yes its doable), its actually DPS gear (power/precision sans crit damage).

Problem is when sucky players put on MF gear, but thing is even full ascended wouldnt help much to those. Even more funny are people who do speed runs in MF gear since MF doesnt effect chests. Now those are stupid people that should be avoided.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

I don't find that fascinating unless there are links to these people and what they are saying.  However, I do find it fascinating when some people refuse to let go.

As far the stats making a difference or not;  I thought you played the game?  Couldn't you make that decision for yourself? To answer anyways though, of course stats matter.  However, there are different types of gear with different bonuses which is what you are mixing up, rather intentionally or not.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Betakodo

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Gear matters. Go to the laurel vendor and look at the stats on the ascended stuff. Compare that to the MAX stuff a level 400 jewlery maker can craft. You get a definate power boost and there only reason to get 400 jewelery is the achievement or to make yourself a placeholder for the ascended stuff.

Ay carumba. We've gone over the numbers plenty of times. The ascended berserkers (for example) gives you 0.55% more power, 0.33% more precision and 1% more crit damage.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Betakodo

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Ay carumba. We've gone over the numbers plenty of times. The ascended berserkers (for example) gives you 0.55% more power, 0.33% more precision and 1% more crit damage.

That much!?! Thats it! I quit. if someone else is going to get stuff that I don't, just because they like doing something that I don't, than the game is epic fail for me now. I wonder if I can still get a refund? After all this is clearly a bait and switch, because when they advertised the game, it clearly didn't have karka in it, and then all of a sudden BAM, we've got karka!  I'm so sick and tired of how these companies constantly try to rip us all off by implimenting something in the game that some people might like! That is just bad for business, and shame on them. SHAME! How could I possibly enjoy the game now, knowing that someone else out there, might have a peice of jewelry that is the better half of  one percent improved over the stuff I have. How am I supposed to find that fun? 

I think maybe I'll need to take a break from mmorpg's in general so that I can write a book. I'm going to call it "My unhappy face: Why everyone should only like the things that I do"

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• sajahsajah Member Posts: 35
    To clarify things :

Stats difference between the SAME combination type doesn't impact that much past Rare grade (ie rare vs exotic vs ascended ofthe same combination).

Stat difference between 2 different combinations of the same rarity (ie exotic berserker vs exotic cleric) have tremendous impact on gameplay.

In the first case we are talking about 1-5% difference. In the second there is a huge gap. A knight complete set will double your armor, it's not 1% nor 10%, it's +100%. Stat combination is part of the build, you choose your armor type like you choose your traits and your skills. For example, having a berserker armor on a tank/support spec is out of context.

So, yeah nobody is going to yell because your are not full ascended. But going arah full MF is suicide (MF = no HP, no armor, no heal, little damage, great in events where there are a lot of people to rely on, but in a 5-people instance you're a weight, and a big one).
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Doesn't really make much difference if the person wearing it can't play.  I've already witnessed this, and it's much more obvious than in WoW.