Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else feel that MMOs are a HUGE waste of time?

Comments

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

MMO's are entertainment, and a life without entertainment is not a life worth living.

If you feel it's a huge waste of time, then don't play them anymore. Get out and enjoy other aspects of life that don't ring as a waste of time in your mind.

If it makes you happy for even a short amount of time, it's not a waste of time. If you feel you're addicted to the genre in theory, but aren't actually into the games themselves, then it's probably time to move on. Personally, I don't really find current MMO's overly fun, but I have an addictive personality, and I've been playing them for so long, I'm just on here checking to see what's up all the time. I haven't really played any MMO's in a long time becuase I always end up trying them and getting bored quickly. I was hoping GW2 was gonna be the end to that, but I ended up getting tired of that game within a month and now I'm back in MMO limbo.

I just basically go out and have a life, and when I'm bored, I try to find an MMO that's worth playing, and if I can't, I just play my PS3. :P

I think I'm actually more interested in fun PS3 games with an online component nowadays, rather than a full blown MMO's.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Lienhart

I've clocked an absurdly high amount of hours into MMOs from WoW to Final Fantasy XI. After recently switching to a much more expensive hobby (supersport track days), I'm feeling the need to slap my face for wasting so much time on a hobby that amounts to having nothing to show for in the real world.

Anyone else ever feel the same way?

I can think of a bigger waste of time. 

Posting on an mmo forum about what a waste of time mmos are.  I can't think of a bigger waste of time than that.  Of all the pointless things a person might do, that's right up there. 

So you've topped yourself.  Congratulations. 

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456
    It's no bigger waste of time than any other hobby out there. I mean gaming in general is just a waste of time for the majority of people, that's what hobbies are for wasting free time. As for being constructive that depends on the person as well as what they choose to fill their free time with.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Instead of your new hobbie lets say that you picked up gambling. Lets say you eventually lose 60,000 dollars over seven months. If you had kept playing MMOs you might have never gambled. In this case MMOs might be life saving.
  • tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

I've clocked an absurdly high amount of hours into MMOs from WoW to Final Fantasy XI. After recently switching to a much more expensive hobby (supersport track days), I'm feeling the need to slap my face for wasting so much time on a hobby that amounts to having nothing to show for in the real world.

I feel the time i spent in mmorpgs is better spent than the time i spent watching TV before mmorpgs - although not as good as some of the other alternatives. However most of those better alternatives e.g. hiking, i *couldn't* do most of the time anyway e.g. worknights, so the best comparison is with things like TV.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Anyone else feel that work is a huge waste of time?  It gets in the way of all the better things I could be doing.  

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    Originally posted by Scarfe
    Anyone else feel that work is a huge waste of time?  It gets in the way of all the better things I could be doing.  

Get a different job.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    Originally posted by tupodawg999

I feel the time i spent in mmorpgs is better spent than the time i spent watching TV before mmorpgs - although not as good as some of the other alternatives. However most of those better alternatives e.g. hiking, i *couldn't* do most of the time anyway e.g. worknights, so the best comparison is with things like TV.

I've heard this excuse many times back when I used to PT clients.

I run through the snow at -10C and ride through thunder storms or till -5C if no ice on my GSXR750. Don't be so soft.

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

EVERYTHING is just waste of your time ...

go kill yourself

Now for real ... almost everything is waste of your time, BUT if you enjoy it and it makes you happy thats all what matters :) NO ONE can ever say that playing mmorpgs, games or whatever is less meaningfull that going out with your friends or whaterver. All comes to you and what you enjoy more :)

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

everything is a waste of time.

your live consists of time you waste.

actually even doing stuff in RL is a waste of time.

earning money? waste of time.

life is meaningless. it's only meaning is to waste your time. get used to it.

you will waste your time till you ran out of it, then you die. no more time to waste...

so, i suggest do what is fun to you while wasting your time.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by Thane

you will waste your time till you ran out of it, then you die. no more time to waste...

This guy ... hes right :)

• UkihaUkiha Member Posts: 58

This.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

If nihilism was a valid philisophy then nihilism wouldn't matter, thus I can safely reject it from consideration and embrace the essential value of my time.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Originally posted by Eladi

As mutch a waiste of time as watching tv,  reading books (non education books/tv) or making post about waisted past time on forums. If you feel unsatisfied be a Hero  and act.

I have that book, I found it via http://department.monm.edu/classics/courses/clas230/mythdocuments/heropattern/default.htm

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506
    Say what you want, but my hand-eye coordination, and reflexes, are absurdly high! 

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

Being a waste of time is why it is called a hobby, and not a job.

Many would argue that their job is a waste of time, though...heh.

All apples are fruit, but not all fruit are apples.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• ENTR0PYENTR0PY Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by maplestone

If nihilism was a valid philisophy then nihilism wouldn't matter, thus I can safely reject it from consideration and embrace the essential value of my time.

Nope you are wrong. Life is a waste of time and so is everything you do. Everything you do is worthless anyway when you die so do whatever you want before you die.

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    mmo's were worth the effort back when people were more social animals that weren't turned off by teamwork to accomplish things......it's kinda why sandboxes don't work in the states and why so many mmos are at their core solo experiences...it's a real shame

so say we all

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205

Buddy, you have to realize that there is nothing to gain from play mmos or video games. Well technically there is, such as friends and perhaps some knowledge that you wouldn't think of, for such I learnt how to socialize from mmos, I learnt how to trade, or work as a team mates, also decision making.

Mmos and video games is just another entertainment type, it's like reading a book but without imagination but its more interactive.

You don't see anyone gaining anything from watching a TV/Movies or reading a book, except the message implemented in it. It is the same as that.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Ive gamed sinds beginning of time and never saw it as a waste of time its my hobby and it always will be.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

You live only once....at the end of your life just make sure you have done all the things you wanted to do.
    Be it gaming / traveling / collecting / vacations / whatever flows your boat.
    In the end when you die you got nothing to show for anyway.
    you will be burried or burned and no1 will remember you.

So live life the way you want it and make sure to have fun :)

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I've clocked an absurdly high amount of hours into MMOs from WoW to Final Fantasy XI. After recently switching to a much more expensive hobby (supersport track days), I'm feeling the need to slap my face for wasting so much time on a hobby that amounts to having nothing to show for in the real world.Anyone else ever feel the same way?
    I guess if you seek some kind of tangible, real world benefit from playing games, it would indeed be a waste of time. I did not know that games provided this kind of reward, so I never sought that out from my games.

If it is a hobby for a player and all they seek is enjoyment and pleasure for a little while and find it playing games, I don't think that is a waste of time for them.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

You....are just figuring this out now?

All games are a massive waste of time, lol. There's a reason it's called a pass-time. It's something people do to pass the time. The only games that are not wastes of time are those that either earn you some kind of real life tangible reward (ie. money), or educate you.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

I know a single guy who spent his whole life working hard , he was a multi millionare .  Unfortunately he died in a car accident last year .

Do you think he wasted his life working so hard for nothing ?

The point is , if you are having fun while playing the game then you aren't wasting your time.

MMO's are a way to escape the dull boredom of daily life.  To live the high adventure .

I virtually killed a dragon today , what the fuck have you done lately ?

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I don't understand why kids do it....but as someone that's older it's a nice hobby you can do and be around the house.

I did all my motorcycle/ski and snowboard racing as a younger person. They all hurt too much now :)

They're a waste of time but so is everything else. As long as you're having fun it's all good...but.... if you do all your old person hobbies as a kid you'll wish you did more kid hobbies when you get old. So yes....games are a waste of your youth.

Really? I can't imagine how riding or track racing could EVER become old or something I'd give up. But then again, everyone that's older has who used to ride told me they sold their bikes once the kids came in: I guess the solution is to avoid kids lol

That stuff is hard on your joints... running and jogging is not good.  Brisk walking is what you should be training for.  Maybe you could compete in the brisk walk competition held in Michael Jackson's "Neverland" ranch.  I hear they got candy for prizes.

I don't feel that MMO's are a waste of time at all as long as I am getting enjoyment from it.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"