Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

THIS NEW TESO news is going to shock you all, literally.

Comments

• archeagekingarcheageking Member Posts: 88

its been known that swtor blew $100 million dollars on voice over alone. Who knows how much elder scroll funded on voice acting alone. VO is a red flag for me anyway. 

I was happy to buy day 1 elder scrolls online, but this causes me to be cautious and skeptical. Therefore, not a day 1 purchase for me i will wait it out and check out players review down the road.

That article woke me up, pretty disappointed but what can i do. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by achesoma
    It's not the VO that's bothersome, it's the neverending cutscenes.  I'm more concerned about the half-life of instanced/phased all to hell "megaserver" and single zone pvp.

If the do it like WoW, it will be ok. No cut scenes, just the NPC moving and talking.

yes WoW does VO right.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Full voice over really depends on how everything works together. Having a ton of different quest givers strewn about with menial tasks and full voice over in one area is gonna get boring, but if they have quality quest lines around as you explore areas like in Skyrim, it won't be so bad.

The voice over isn't what was bad about SWTOR, it was just how it was implemented with their quest system. The voice overs were quality, but the quests were shitty, so few people cared about listening to all the voice overs and just wanted to skip through so they could finish the quest and level. 

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    VO and cutscenes are different.  Skyrim is full voiced over for example. 
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by endgame1
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    The problem is not too many voiceovers (unless you can't turn them off); the problem is too little of something else that, unlike voiceovers, actually matters.

Agreed.

The only thing I find disconcerting about this is the percentage of the game's budget that must have been appropriated to it. Voice acting can be notoriously expensive, (several hundred thousand dollars per an actor), depending on who you've got doing the voice-overs. 

GW2 used staff for its voiceovers , is there info up that they are paying actors or something? because if they just have staff doing it , it wouldnt cost them a dime

cause recording time and or equipment is free?

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by spitfire1064
    Originally posted by archeageking

Get ready for those of you who is waiting on TESO, todays new info just literally shocked me like really really really shocked me.

Get ready, drum rolls please.............ITS ITS http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/zenimax-gets-vocal-about-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Elder scrolls will have full voice overs, DEJA VU anyone ?? ANYONE? someone didnt learn a lesson from swtor, its  a sad sa  sad sad news. i know you all must be shocked and disbelived right about now....

me too.

im sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Still gonna be better than SWTOR man.

So glad I stopped viewing these websites daily... The community will never change. Totally blind...

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Should we lay odds now that 4 or 5 month after release, IF the game does poorly we will be told, "Its not the fault of the game. The players are just to causal."
  • FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80

To be fair, it's about bloody time Zenimax released some info regarding actual gameplay and not entirely about lore.

In regards to voice-overs, Skyrim, Oblivion, and (partly) Morrowind had voice acting. I've never taken an issue with voice acting, in fact, I welcome it. I believe reading in MMORPGs gets tedious after a while, so it is nice to hear voices doing the talking, pun intended. SWTOR had it right with the voice acting, but where they failed was in hiring too many big-named voice actors, not to mention that many of the cutscenes were mundane and yet still had voice-acting. Zenimax should only hire a few big-named actors, while everyone else can be newcomers and amateurs to cut costs. And even if they say "fully voiced", I'd assume that not everything is voiced, including books, notes, and other text-related material in the game. I don't even think our character will talk, unless Zenimax wants to take the SWTOR route, which I hope they don't.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

Voice over if done well could be great ,I just hope they will not use cut scenes but integrate the voice over into normal game play the way eq2 did.I still remember arriving first time in Freeport as a dark elf ,doing all the starter quests for my mentor and having npcs which talked to you and even better ,they acted like you expected from the members of an evil race living in one of the Freeport slums.I didn't play swtor because of how they changed from a story game to a raid grind at max level ,limited exploration and bad rvr but EQ2 did voice over well a long time before swtor.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Warm up the space bars.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• - double post -
  • Originally posted by snipehack
    I truly see nothing wrong with this, SWTOR and the secret world yes being fairly boring MMO's. Did nothing wrong with the voiced over quests. It brings more immersion into the game, plus it's good for people who have issues reading, I played both SWTOR and TSW to end game and enjoyed both, and i feel so it was due to the added benefit of vocalized quests. Having grew up on EQ1 and have played almost every single MMO out here, i enjoy the idea of expanding into new ideas. 

Agreed. SWTOR didn't fail because of the voiceovers and dialogues, which were actually great shift from the textual monologues nobody cared about. I don't mind TESO taking on good features from other MMOs. It's when they starting using bad features we should worry. For example the fragmented world of SWTOR with lots of load screens.

• Originally posted by spitfire1064

Get ready for those of you who is waiting on TESO, todays new info just literally shocked me like really really really shocked me.

Get ready, drum rolls please.............ITS ITS http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/zenimax-gets-vocal-about-the-elder-scrolls-online/

Elder scrolls will have full voice overs, DEJA VU anyone ?? ANYONE? someone didnt learn a lesson from swtor, its  a sad sa  sad sad news. i know you all must be shocked and disbelived right about now....

me too.

Still gonna be better than SWTOR man.

How do you know? It could be better... a lot better. But it could also be a lot worse. We know very little of the game still and there's almost no gameplay footage shown yet.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Yeah, man. Nothing like a bunch of voice-overs to really ruin my gaming experience.
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    ZOS really needs to give us some new information. People are running out of things to complain about.
  • bladedancerbladedancer Member UncommonPosts: 40
    It didn't shock me, and I doubt it shocked anyone... I really don't see a problem with that.

Peter Griffin: you know those germans, if you dont join the party, they?ll come get ya

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

I will be filing claims against the threads author for misrepresentation, and false advertising. 

I did not "literally" get a shock when I read this news. No electricity passed through my body at all. 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• JayarisJayaris Member Posts: 308
    Hay guys, I heard SWTOR failed because of Voice Overs. Who knew?

Hi

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Why are there people in this thread reasoning that the previous TES games had full VO so it's fine? The previous TES games weren't MMOs. SWTOR is now rather infamous for wasting a huge amount of their budget on VO work for things that no one would ever listen to, a decision that is quite easy to link to the poor quality of the rest of the game. See the problem?

If TESO will be fully voiced then you're talking a HUGE chunk of the budget being spent on things most people won't listen to, that could have been spent on core game features.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Yeah man, ESO got voiceovers, just like SWTOR. Amazing revelation. 

But nothing compared to what i discovered!

Did you know that one of the top designers of this game drinks milk? You know who else drank milk? Adolph Hitler! Coincidence? I'm just saying... 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Full voice over seems like an amazing idea when you have the luxury of budget and time, but a bit past launch, at the point where you are creating new content rather than polishing not-ready-for-launch content, I imagine every dev that goes down this route asks themselves what were they thinking.

FVO makes content expensive, and that's the last thing a content driven game needs is to that after a few months when player numbers are inevitably tumbling, their team has shrunk, and the working budget has been slashed.

It also has been proven that players skip spoken content as much as they do written content, especially after hearing it once. An all round silly move IMO. They would have been far wiser to direct the resources used into player housing.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Yea! This is on BIG + for me! Best solution for role players. I'm not in shock
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

me too.

We've known that since last May...you're about a year late

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Voice overs are a standard features in video game industry.

So again, who is supposed to be "shocked"...?

Also, voice overs are much more cheaper than people think they are..

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

me too.

Only because SWTOR was lacking in everything else at release other than V.O doesn't mean TESO will be the same. Even TSW is fully V.O and it is leaps and beyond SWTOR.

You are reaching.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

This discussion has been closed.