Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Necroing threads

NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I know necroing threads is reportable. I also kind of have an idea of when a thread is "old." A thread that's a year old is a good example. 

What about threads that are a bit fresher than that? Does MMORPG.com have a threshold after which a thread is considered "old" and bumping that thread again would result in a lock?

Why doesn't a thread soft-locks itself automatically? (Suggestion)

Maybe there is some kind of system in place that I'm not aware of.

There's also nothing about necroing in the RoC.

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Generally if a thread hasn't seen a response in a couple of weeks its considered dead (excluding sticky threads).
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Wow that is short. I didn't know.

"Couple of weeks" sounds pretty vague :p So I take it it's up to the discretion of the moderator looking at it? 

Thanks for the answer.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

I dunno i think it should vary based on the forum.

For a new and hyped game, yeah a week old thread is as good as dead.  Some of the older games or lesser played game...even dead games that seem to forever haunt the list as in development...well posting something relevant seems to be a much better way of handling things than for me to make  a new thread to answer a question in a thread below it thats older.

Hope that makes sense.  It gets quite irritating when theres a LOT of dead forums that dont need every thread killed because someone has a relevant question or update. 

Best examples i can think of are on the many, many, dead games in develoment here, sometimes ill pop into a thread a year old commenting how the game died and post how the forums are back up, or the website went down.

Other times theres still conversation going on in threads over a week old, just because people are not posting often doesnt mean the conversation should be ended to uphold an arbitrary rule...one of your mods was crazy with this in the past but seemed to have stopped.  Reality of it is, locking threads for necro on these lesser traveld sub forums literally kills what little discussion is taking place...which seems to be counter intuitive.