Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it bother you to see someone with an "exclusive" item via cross-promotion, pre-order, etc?

Comments

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061
    Well it sort of bothers me. I really think those items should at least be available as rare drops in the game or something.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288

It makes me mad that I wasn't able to goto said convention and get said item, but the fact that they have it and I don't because they went and I didn't doesn't bother me.  A tad off topic, but what does bother me is when I pre-order something or get the collector's edition of something for a unique item and then the company starts selling said item in their cash shop or sells a special upgrade to upgrade your standard edition account to a collector's edition account (granted this upgrade doesn't bother me as much since most physical collector's edition come with physical collector items which the upgrade doesn't grant).

I mean if you want pre-order and/or collector's edition items then pre-order it.  Don't give me this crap "Oh I can't afford it" I can't typically afford to drop $150 down straight on a CE so instead I pre-order it as soon as I can and pay a little at a time up until release which is how I've gotten all the CE games I have now.

• LanceCLanceC Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Does it look cool? Typically, no.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by azmundai    entitlement .. lol
    that word is really being used entirely too loosely in the MMO environment.

the idea of entitlement is used to describe drug addicts who are getting free drugs and medical care at the tax payers expense.

That's one of the uses of the term albeit a loose interpretation of it, yes.  Do you really think people are using it in that context or are you just nitpicking?

I wouldn't even care if they were available at conventions or whatever as long as they were at least very difficultly attainable through ingame progress. which is why I ultimately bought GW2 anyway .. because at least there I can farm ludicrous amounts of gold and trade them for cash shop items.

See, you take a rather unique approach. Game A doesn't let you do what you are interested in doing (get exclusives/rares through in game means) but Game B does. You voted with your wallet and chose Game B. Other people buy Game A and cry about it.

Worse, some people don't even buy Game A, play it when it's free, and still complain that the people who spent $199 for the game have something that he doesn't have. It's not even a game affecting it, purely cosmetic.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyutaSyukoKyutaSyuko Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by azmundai
    entitlement .. lol
    that word is really being used entirely too loosely in the MMO environment.

the idea of entitlement is used to describe drug addicts who are getting free drugs and medical care at the tax payers expense.

we are paying for a game and would PREFER that items available in game are available to everyone through in game progress.

we aren't talking about welfare epics where everyone is "entitled" (still not a very good use of the word) to top end gear even if they choose not to take part in a particular part of the game.

we are willing to work for it in game, I at least would be ecstatic if it were extremely rare and hard to get. I just think it's lame that I have to go to a convention that I would otherwise have little interest in going to if I want access to something.

I wouldn't even care if they were available at conventions or whatever as long as they were at least very difficultly attainable through ingame progress. which is why I ultimately bought GW2 anyway .. because at least there I can farm ludicrous amounts of gold and trade them for cash shop items.

en·ti·tle·ment

noun -?t?-t?l-m?nt

Definition of ENTITLEMENT

1a : the state or condition of being entitled : right
    b : a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract
    2: a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group; also : funds supporting or distributed by such a program
    3: belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges

Explain to me again how it's being misused.  At least everytime I see it used it falls under the above highlighted definition from Merriam-Webster.
  • HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    It's not being misused at all. The person that said it was is misinformed unfortunately. It happens.

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Heafstagg
    It's not being misused at all. The person that said it was is misinformed unfortunately. It happens.

While it may not be misused here, it's become an overused, hackneyed phrase that constantly gets applied to anything and everything under the sun. It's really beyond trite now and people just sound like sheep when they use it. 

On topic: No, seeing someone with those things doesn't bother me, in fact I think they're pretty cool if they're ultra rare. Seeing someone pull out a rare mount or a pet that only one or two people on the entire server have can be awesome. 

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    No, because I know my penis is bigger than theirs.
    I live to go faster...or die trying.
    Originally posted by Lienhart
    No, because I know my penis is bigger than theirs.

/thread

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Sijjistoryus

I actually think it's kinda cool to see that stuff.

Does it bother you? If so, does it also bother you when you see that stuff in real life, as well?

No. It doesn't bother me at all in real life. Gaming is not life.

But it bothers you in game that someone got a pink virtual hat for going to an expo?

A pink hat? No. But we both know that that is rarely the case.

Having the Black Spider-Man suit? Yes.

Being able to play as a playable Borg via STO? Yes.

It took 10 pages, but we finally get to the heart of your issue - entitlement and the contention that others should not be allowed to have toys that you don't have.

EDIT: And, YES, a Borg skin is the same as a pink hat.

It's not entitlement at all, make me earn the ability to play as a borg. I'll put time and effort into it, all I want is the ability to obtain it in game in some way. I'm sorry that I don't have the money to go to another state and buy convention passes to "earn" the ability to play as a borg, clearly I think i'm "entitled" to it.

If playing as a borg is the same as a pink hat and is considered worthless, then is it not the same for all races in game? STO should only have 1 race with no customization and only one ship, since it's ONLY pixels, who cares right?

Originally posted by Krashner

I actually think it's kinda cool to see that stuff.

Does it bother you? If so, does it also bother you when you see that stuff in real life, as well?

No. It doesn't bother me at all in real life. Gaming is not life.

But it bothers you in game that someone got a pink virtual hat for going to an expo?

A pink hat? No. But we both know that that is rarely the case.

Having the Black Spider-Man suit? Yes.

Being able to play as a playable Borg via STO? Yes.

It took 10 pages, but we finally get to the heart of your issue - entitlement and the contention that others should not be allowed to have toys that you don't have.

It's not entitlement at all, make me earn the ability to play as a borg. I'll put time and effort into it, all I want is the ability to obtain it in game in some way. I'm sorry that I don't have the money to go to another state and buy convention passes to "earn" the ability to play as a borg, clearly I think i'm "entitled" to it.

If playing as a borg is the same as a pink hat and is considered worthless, then is it not the same for all races in game? STO should only have 1 race with no customization and only one ship, since it's ONLY pixels, who cares right?

There's no Gamestop or online shopping in your town why are you going on road trips for a Lifetime sub offer? See, I can be as obtuse as you. ;) Now, with that out of the way...

The Borg skin was an exclusive item for people who bought the Lifetime sub. Why should it be devalued for those people just because you feel you should be able to have it? Or it is that when it's something you want, it's something of value, but if it's something someone else wanted, then the value of it is immaterial and there is no issue with devaluing it to give you one.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Dibdabs
    In 15 years of online gaming there has never been an ingame item that I would even cross the road for.  Fancy mount, shiny spaceship, bonus race to play, whatever... I couldn't care less.  They're just pixels on a screen.

Yeah they're just pixels but a lot of players get very protective of them.  Sometimes obsessively so.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Yes normaly wont play those games.

There's no Gamestop or online shopping in your town why are you going on road trips for a Lifetime sub offer? See, I can be as obtuse as you. ;) Now, with that out of the way...

The Borg skin was an exclusive item for people who bought the Lifetime sub. Why should it be devalued for those people just because you feel you should be able to have it? Or it is that when it's something you want, it's something of value, but if it's something someone else wanted, then the value of it is immaterial and there is no issue with devaluing it to give you one.

I think pre order bonuses as a whole are garbage and shouldn't exist. I apologise for not realizing that the Borg skin was part of the lifetime sub offer, but the point still stands. I used to play WoW and I still wish I could have gotten Grunty, unfortunately for me I coulnd't afford to go to Blizzcon. Does that mean that no matter what I do in game that I don't deserve that pet? I can never earn it, not even if I somehow solo Arthas riding Deathwingwith my bare hands while blindfolded? Somehow doing that doesn't earn it, but having throw away cash and spare time does?

All I'm saying is that ALL game content should be available in game, no exceptions. How would you feel if the only way to do a certain dungeon/raid/battleground was to go to a convention or buy a lifetime sub? I would be happy if they at least sold the stuff in a cash shop, at least then it's possible for me to obtain it. The reward for buying a lifetime sub is having a LIFETIME SUB, wanting anything else with it is entitlement.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    No.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    not at all.. i never understood the I should be entitiled to everything mentallity really takes away from ever having a chance to feel somewhat unique.. only time I have an issue is when you can buy overpowered items with cash.. aside from that i could care less

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    nope

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    not at all.. i never understood the I should be entitiled to everything mentallity really takes away from ever having a chance to feel somewhat unique.. only time I have an issue is when you can buy overpowered items with cash.. aside from that i could care less

I truly fail to see how wanting to earn something is entitlement.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    nope i don't pre-order anymore got burned too often if they wanna take a gamble on a game and get some meaningless reward as their prize have at it.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

because what ends up happening is everyone bitches then the game starts giving things away for nothing and takes any sort of uniqueness out of it.. happens all the time.. more ways to make your character look unique the better imho.. but like I said if they are selling OP items for cash then I see it as a real issue.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

because what ends up happening is everyone bitches then the game starts giving things away for nothing and takes any sort of uniqueness out of it.. happens all the time.. more ways to make your character look unique the better imho.. but like I said if they are selling OP items for cash then I see it as a real issue.. 

I'm all for uniqueness, but I payed $60 plus whatever the monthly fee is, I want access to ALL the content and not just most of it. If it's a f2p game then fine, do whatever. I'm not saying they should give anything away for free, but there should be a way to earn any item in the game be it from dungons, auction house, cash shop or random drops.

I honestly don't care what other people have in game and the stuff I want for my character isn't because it's rare or exclusive, it's because for whatever reason, generally looks, I like that particular item. People need to stop defending exclusive content because when games add it we all lose. It doesn't matter if it's just a stupid hat that nobody likes, or an awesome skin that every one wants. What happens when it's not just fluff items? Would it still be ok if there were special dungeons that only people who went to a convention could ever experience?

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

I feel it's the development studio's game, so if they want to give exclusive codes to people who have spent money on a convention to hear a 2 hour Q&A with the hopes that they'll get a 10 minute hands on of the game itself then so be it.

For those who do get jealous of others digital items, it must be devastating to see all these people in real life who have anything one of a kind (or rare) that you don't. It's gotta be a very stressful way to live.

• DezyneDezyne Member Posts: 9
    No. In fact when I see people with collectors exclusives I count them as rubes.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    The only thing that bothers me are games that give most if not all of the best rewards to a single play style.  The usual culprits being raiders and PvPers.  I've only played a few MMOs that don't do this.  City of Heroes, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Planetside 2 and Wizard 101.  The rest end up pissing me off to no end by the time I reach the mid to higher levels of the game.  Pre-game purchases and even cash shop items don't concern me in the least as long as the actual game play provides a rewarding experience for everyone.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    What happens when it's not just fluff items? Would it still be ok if there were special dungeons that only people who went to a convention could ever experience?

What if they add items that can blow everyone up on the server!!!

what if ( or it's like ), is never a good argument for or against something.