Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With Disney buyiing SW....any chance of resurrection?

?

SWG > Aces High > WWIIOL

Comments

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I wouldnt hold my breath. Most I'd ever expect from them is another FreeRealms type game.
  • dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

As an mmo?

I wouldnt wait a SW MMO on the near future, SW:TOR caused a very big crater and its still fresh on the memory

Suit men only see the invested amount, but not how it was terribly mismanaged

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• badgerAlumbadgerAlum Member Posts: 27
    Based on Disney's past - It will be re-released as a special "platinum" boxed set with some extra fluff and a redesigned cover, with "digitally remastered" graphics and sound once every 7 years until the end of the world.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    They are too late, someone has beaten them to it.
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Nope. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Help me Disney CEO.  You are my only hope.

Well, sort of.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • BattlesABattlesA Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I'm going to say: No.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

They could if it differntiates from swtor. I think they should even it affects swtor subs since it might  motivate swtor devs to add content that adds the most value to thier customer rather than developing content which is more of the same with intanced pvp, raids, and more cash shop items.

-The problem:

is that pvp is more of someone wanting to test thier class than play comptetively. They added 'team' ranked warzones, and did not develop thier game more towards that. And I still think they need to see how a ranked system is good, but also need to add systems to make it engaging. For example making the gear gap smaller, allow for tounraments, and possibly for maps/arenas which allow for the game to become more competitve.

-The raiding is good, but the overall world/galaxy lacks day/night cycles, exploration, and the games content just mostly feels like killing static NPCs in the open world, or instanced, or the best part in a raid. So PVE is lacking.

-Lack of mini games.

-No word on 3d space combat, or if the SSSP is 3d space combat.

-They will not add gambling, which would add a lot to thier game.

The game seems catered to carebears. As in, content is made for themeparks but also in such a way that it hurts pvp by making it too safe, and also not developed..

-Lack of guild mechanics.

-Lack of player housing.

-Lack of large scale pvp.

-No player bounties.

-No player made content.

-No day/night cycles.

-No RVR systems.

-Limited sand box/open world.

-Lack of iconic MMO features.

-Art design is subjective to those who like it, and another project would use later tech, and a different art style.

-Crafting system not as important as drops, which again hurts pvp, and the sand box aspect of the game.

-Areas are too segregated, and planets locked to certain lvling. So a person can not lvl in tatooine when they start becuase there is no content for them, and according to the story they cant get thier as well. WoW allows the player more freedom than this, and the player can run to any area basically from the start.

-There needs to be content that allows for players to get exp at any lvl, to allow development/progression of character where a person may be interested. This approach means that gear grinds should be less extreme, and more about content and in game systems in a sand box MMO, but it also means that when devs release content such as events, they are accessible to anyone, and also when gear grinds are less extreme (however the reward can be exclusive items for different locks or items giving different perks such as abiltiies) there are more sand box mechanics in game. There can still be 'lvl's in the game, but for open world pvp, everyone is on the same capabiltity, which would mean content is developed more towards rewarding the player for the content, thier participation in changing the world, and using the complex sand box mechanics.

-Lack of character cusomtization. Choosing alien races, and adding a lot of customization.

- Lack of choice in the story aspect of the game

-lack of better A.I for NPCs which can be used for open world pvp. NPC armies roaming around to help with balance issues.

- combat has a lot of abilties, but the game is more about rotation on abiltiies rather than using the environment or reacting to other player abitlties (other than interrupts) but more in what gw2 was hyping about thier combat affecting other players spells.

-lack of gore

-also swtor specifically has a lot of VO which hurts development of certain expected content. For example Makeb not having story might have been a decision due trying to develop the most amount of content, with the least amount of VO. This just means that any content that has VO will take more of thier dev. resources and more of thier time and preventing them from adding the content quick enough, or adding new systems quick enough.

-figure out how to make switching factions not game breaking, since joining the dark side or light side should also mean joining different factions. This also implies that pve and npcs are a very importnat part of the game, and a perons alliance with them. The problem is of course changing guilds, or whatever problems may be created by joining different factions. Maybe there is a way to bridge this gap, and still have pve be important and guilds as well.

- have a neutral faction, and maybe due to a neutral faction having dark side or light switch it wont matter if people switch, and having npcs trying to balance certain pvp aspects can also fix that issue.

-still have some instanced pvp for competitve pvp, and those that like that.

So, in conclusion, there could be another sw mmo, and be different enough as well. And I think the first step to making a fun alternative is to not having any restrictions on content, but still have a lvling system. Also have story as something important but maybe even add choice. The choice can exist in many ways creating alliances with NPCs. Also alliance with NPCs can be made by interactions with them which can affect the open world in terms of crafting or pvp.

I think also adding a class system can work even if its a bit restrictive, but trying to make it more free by allowing people to have any other class abilties/content, but they are more of a primary base class of the one they created. Maybe the Jedi class can be a chain quest that is very difficult, and that is how a perosn becomes a jedi, and maybe only attainable after going through the class specific story.

Also allow for stat distrubution.

And have a barber shop for re-customization in stats and in looks.

They can focus more on pvp, crafting, raids, customization with many armor looks, rewards with player housing/guild houses, gear rewards can be rare and but small stat differences, NPCs and thier interaction with the world and the players with thiers, add a bit of story with different actual outcomes, make questing more dependent on exploration, add a lot of puzzles, and pvp mini games such as pazaak, and swoop racing.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It will never be ressurected. If it is it will be so outdated that only vets will play it, so it will still no longer be viable for them as a source of income.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

There'd be the small issue of rights to an mmo. I doubt EA agreed to any deal that didn't give them exclusive rights for a few years. It wasn't coincidence that swg went off line about the same time TOR came online.

SOE doesn't have a history of shutting mmos down....even when they lose money.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Harrison Ford is going to be in it, and before Disney bought the rights to make the series, they had asked Mark Hammil and Carrie Fisher. So the fact that they bought the rights to make it indicated a strong chance that Luke, Leia, and Han will all be in the new movie.
  • Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    none
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

I see nothing but continued darkness in the future for SWG, but fear not, there is another, her name is Camelot Unchained.

Its fantasy, and I doubt the budget would allow the release to be large enough to be something that interests a lot of people and therefore be very specific (niche). Its a shame that 'investors' or financers of large budget MMOs are retards.

They finance WoW clones which are not properly developed, and not enough value to secrure a market share as a wow clone.

However, with swtor being a sw IP, it had its foot in the door already in the market share at pre release. All the needed was a few key features at release to be developed, and then add other feautures.

For example open world pvp that has repeatable engaing content. It keeps player pre-occupied until more story comes a long.

Mini games.

Content that allows for players to lvl in any planet at any lvl.

player boutnies

gambling.

Less story, and less questing but add more puzzles for rewards, group content, and for the actual story quest could have been not linear.

Day/night cycles.

Makes replaying classes a lot more fun, and playing in a world a lot more challenging as well.

And, I think I am not the only one who wants these things among other things like chat bubbles... so, why did the devs not make pvp a major part of thier game? Its becuase they people who financed swtor wanted to market something like a WoW-clone to secure a market. They are retards. Also... part of the reason, I beleive also stems from inside influence of old timer gamers wanting swtor to be easy and familiar for them to use. Well, the easy for them to use, made 100 million dollar budget MMO stuck in a very gradual process in developing content, when they could have developed better key features at the core level.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

The fact of the matter is that SWTOR is a massive failure and not many people are really interested in The Old Republic as an IP. The old KotOR games were great and thats what SWTOR should have been, KotOR 3 and not an MMO.

What people want is the proper Star Wars universe with familiar characters they can interact with, and that's what SWG was. I know SWG would be dated if re-released but a new SWG ie SWG 2 would be big news.

Sandbox MMO's are becomming popular again now and that's what SWG was so if they keep everything that made SWG great and take on board the mistakes SOE and LA made so not to repeat them ,Disney could have a AAA title on their hands.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

SWTOR sucks so bad, and has lowered the bar so much. I will buy whatever they produce as long as it's not at SWTOR level. Just need:

Original SW universe

Realistic (movie based) art style

choices when playing the game

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

IF it were to be ressurrected the only way it would work would be to completely overhaul the game engine/mechanics while keeping the basic content intact. No company (IMO) would invest in a previously failed game and bringing back the original game would be out of the question.

The only possibility I see remotely happening is SOE re-introducing the game as it was and changing a few things: number of characters per account would have to be increased and/or it woulld have to be F2P.

I loved SWG - the only true MMO in my gaming life :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by echolynfan

IF it were to be ressurrected the only way it would work would be to completely overhaul the game engine/mechanics while keeping the basic content intact. No company (IMO) would invest in a previously failed game and bringing back the original game would be out of the question.

The only possibility I see remotely happening is SOE re-introducing the game as it was and changing a few things: number of characters per account would have to be increased and/or it woulld have to be F2P.

No. For that we have the fan project.

I want nothing less than Star Wars Galaxies "Next" from SOE, like they are doing Everquest Next.

I want Star Wars in their amazing Forgelight engine, not a half finished Alpha engine like SWTOR has

I want a Star Wars MMO which looks like Star Wars, not like a cartoon sci fi version of WoW

Help us Disney, you are our last hope, go talk to SOE

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by ignore_me

SWTOR sucks so bad, and has lowered the bar so much. I will buy whatever they produce as long as it's not at SWTOR level. Just need:

Original SW universe

Realistic (movie based) art style

choices when playing the game

and this, signed 100%

The Return of ELITE !

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

they cant resurect it as far as I know soe deleted the server side source code. 

Originally posted by erictlewis

they cant resurect it as far as I know soe deleted the server side source code. 

they just need a new 10 year licence and 100,000,000$ and the world would finally get the Star Wars MMO it deserves

The Return of ELITE !

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by FromHell

I want nothing less than Star Wars Galaxies "Next" from SOE, like they are doing Everquest Next.

I want Star Wars in their amazing Forgelight engine, not a half finished Alpha engine like SWTOR has

I want a Star Wars MMO which looks like Star Wars, not like a cartoon sci fi version of WoW

I'm aware of the fan project but it's only good if you have the original discs so that doesn't bode well for new players.

The new upcoming movie (if done well and I do believe with J.J. Abrans at the helm it will) will spawn a re-interest in the franchise which MAY help but that's a big IF.

Complex games like SWG are unfortunately being swept aside in favor of shallow games designed now for mobile apps - iPad...etc. 

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

I'm aware of the fan project but it's only good if you have the original discs so that doesn't bode well for new players.

The new upcoming movie (if done well and I do believe with J.J. Abrans at the helm it will) will spawn a re-interest in the franchise which MAY help but that's a big IF.

Complex games like SWG are unfortunately being swept aside in favor of shallow games designed now for mobile apps - iPad...etc. 

Disney just needs to act and give SOE a license to the IP.

Every SWG hater continues to say that TOR is not supposed to be SWG2, then there would be no competition between these two titles anyway!

The Return of ELITE !

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Disney just needs to act and give SOE a license to the IP.

Every SWG hater continues to say that TOR is not supposed to be SWG2, then there would be no competition between these two titles anyway!

If they did that SWTOR would die. Any alongside comparison to another SW MMO would quickly reveal the terrible and legion flaws of SWTOR, even to the drones.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Only by AAA companies...

Us gamers have got lucky and kickstarter is now available for devs to make games they want to make not waht the AAA publisher wants them to make.

I expect to see a lot more complex games popping up over the next few years.. Soon AAA companies will realise we dont all want dumbed down versions of last years games..

Im am pretty sure the furture of gaming will be a lot better than the last few years.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    i was under the impression that Disney bought star wars a year or two ago, am i wrong or is there some reason to think of SWG now ?

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.