Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

one major plus for elder scroll online.

One huge plus for elder scroll online, IT stayed away form hero engine.

unlike the other upcoming sandbox mmorpg.

Comments

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by archeageking

This should say "moved away" from the hero engine. The demo they showed last June at e3 was running in the Hero Engine...

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

1- HE is not the problem. Its arrogant Devs who buy an unsupported Alpha version and think they "know better" on how to make it work right.

The Hero Engine is actually seems like a pretty good engine platform from other things Ive seen.

2- Only Zenimax knows if their in-house game engine is actually a "custom built from the ground for ESO" engine or just a modified version of HE.

They say its not, but there are some contradictions to that. Will have to wait for the actual game to see.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    And what sandbox are we talking about that uses Hero?
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's a modified version of the skyrim engine, which is a heavily modified version of gamebryo.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They use hero to prototype.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by steelwind

I have no idea, I would like to know this as well.

• delimeat567delimeat567 Member Posts: 56

Played: SWG, SWG:NGE, EQ2, Vanguard, LotRO, WoW, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Mortal Online, Rift, Guild Wars, Fallen Earth, EVE Online, Ryzom, Dungeons and Dragons Online, World of Tanks, Aion, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I have no idea, I would like to know this as well.

The Repopulation is using HE. Other than that I dont know what games in development are using it.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    The Hero Engine is actually a very good engine when its COMPLETE. When a devs buys a alpha version and decides to finish it is when it becomes an issue.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

If they were using the HERO engine, which they are not, they wouldn't be offereing Mac support.

Hero doesn't support Macs.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    This is not a sandbox MMO...
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Golelorn

It's also pushing the definition of a TES game...

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

same way WoW pushed the definition of a warcraft game.. just taking the existing game format isn't always the best way to make a MMO.. granted TES games has a much better foundation for an MMO than say the warcraft series...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Originally posted by PyrateLV

1- HE is not the problem. Its arrogant Devs who buy an unsupported Alpha version and think they "know better" on how to make it work right. The Hero Engine is actually seems like a pretty good engine platform from other things Ive seen.  

2- Only Zenimax knows if their in-house game engine is actually a "custom built from the ground for ESO" engine or just a modified version of HE. They say its not, but there are some contradictions to that. Will have to wait for the actual game to see.

I doubt they would be allowed to claim they built it from the ground up if it was actually a modified version of the hero engine.

It's not like the guys that made the hero engine wouldn't want the good press after swtor

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by azarhal

This should say "moved away" from the hero engine. The demo they showed last June at e3 was running in the Hero Engine...

You licensed HeroEngine a long time ago. What role did the Hero Engine play in the development of ESO?

We started ZeniMax Online from scratch, with no employees and no technology. We had to build everything ourselves. It takes a long time to write game engines, especially MMO engines, which are inherently more complicated than typical single-player ones. So, we decided to license the HeroEngine to give us a headstart. It was a useful tool for us to use to prototype areas and game design concepts, and it provided us the ability to get art into the game that was visible, so we could work on the game’s art style. Our plan is for ESO to be a world class MMO, with the most advanced social features found in any MMO to date – so while we were prototyping the game on HeroEngine, we were simultaneously developing our own client, server, and messaging layer that were specifically designed with ESO in mind. Think of HeroEngine as a whiteboard for us – a great tool to get some ideas in the game and start looking at them while the production engine was in development.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Thank god.

We don't need a game based on one of the most popular and lore rich IP's bastardized by making it something only about 47 people world wide would play.  Some sandbox elements are ok, but for the most part sandbox play is total shit!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Thank god.

We don't need a game based on one of the most popular and lore rich IP's bastardized by making it something only about 47 people world wide would play.  Some sandbox elements are ok, but for the most part sandbox play is total shit!

47? i think you will find more then 47 people who want a sandbox mmo.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

the Repopulation is the only one I know of

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by FromHell

the Repopulation is the only one I know of

And so far it looks pretty good even in alpha stage... well have to see how well it plays out though...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FARGIN_WARFARGIN_WAR Member Posts: 166

Oh look. Another throw away post by this guy. If all you can think to say can be summed up in a couple of sentences, then in my opinion it isn't worthy of its own thread. Last time I'll be feeding this poster.

If you don’t do stupid things while you’re young, you’ll have nothing to smile about when you’re old.

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138

Thank god.

Im not sure what you mean... and then when reading your signature I wonder if you have any clue of what you are saying too...

"If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!"

Sure the only universal definition of a sandbox is "non linear / open world" but I don't see the problem w/ poeples who wants theyr sandbox to be FFA-full-loot-open-pvp... This is just a "rule" and doesn't negationnate nor oppose itself to the concept of sandbox...

To stay on topic I'll agree with all the wait'n'see-ers and just wait and see !

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

Originally posted by Vindicar

Thank god.

Im not sure what you mean... and then when reading your signature I wonder if you have any clue of what you are saying too...

"If your idea of a Sandbox is open FFA Full Loot PvP, full crafted world with minimal support for anything combat then your sandbox ideas are bad! Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!"

Sure the only universal definition of a sandbox is "non linear / open world" but I don't see the problem w/ poeples who wants theyr sandbox to be FFA-full-loot-open-pvp... This is just a "rule" and doesn't negationnate nor oppose itself to the concept of sandbox...

To stay on topic I'll agree with all the wait'n'see-ers and just wait and see !

The sig represents what I want out of a Sandbox game.  I do not want a FFA PvP system, nor do I want any type of crafting where the best gear and loot is created by players.  This is huge to me as it removes the incentives for combat and PvE environments and it also ruins the suprise of finding that 1 in a million loot piece. 

I also put it this way because every single Sandbox MM ofeatures these systems and to think a Sandbox game must include them then you are wrong.

I come from a D&D based system where exploration and finding loot is what is most important to me.  If someone would create an MMO with a Diablo, Asheron's Call, Elder Scrolls and D&D combined systems I would be in heaven.

• VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138

The sig represents what I want out of a Sandbox game.  I do not want a FFA PvP system, nor do I want any type of crafting where the best gear and loot is created by players.  This is huge to me as it removes the incentives for combat and PvE environments and it also ruins the suprise of finding that 1 in a million loot piece. 

I also put it this way because every single Sandbox MM ofeatures these systems and to think a Sandbox game must include them then you are wrong.

I come from a D&D based system where exploration and finding loot is what is most important to me.  If someone would create an MMO with a Diablo, Asheron's Call, Elder Scrolls and D&D combined systems I would be in heaven.

Not saying a sandbox MUST include those kind of PvP rulesets, just saying that you can't state that this is a trash idea ! It just doesn't appeal to you ! And liking it or not is all about the player... I like having the option to be an ass or to compete for PvE. To me "first downs" à la WoW means nothing. Competitive PvE is what I miss the most nowadays.

And I hear what you say about loot, Oh yeah believe me, I do. I dream of uniques items (read REALLY unique on one server/world/whatever) in my games too...

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Stop the immature and uninformed bashing on Hero Engine. It has done nothing to deserve all the bad press. There is actually nothing wrong with Hero Engine. it's a tool. If you can't use the tool the result becomes bad, not the tool. Hammering a nail with a saw doesn't make the saw a bad tool.
  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

same way WoW pushed the definition of a warcraft game.. just taking the existing game format isn't always the best way to make a MMO.. granted TES games has a much better foundation for an MMO than say the warcraft series...

Nothing wrong with adding to a 'game envelope'.

Massive problem with ripping out a core element to accomodate an addition...