Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you buy FF:XIV once it's released, if you haven't played it?

ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
Since they have said that they are again going to go a box sale & subscription model.  If you do not get into the beta, and get a chance to try the game for an extended perdiod of time, will you still buy the game when it is released?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    if i don't get into beta and there is no open beta ill probably wait till more footage and reviews are out to see...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

I believe beta phase four is scheduled to be the "open beta" of the testing.  It's my assumption that those who signed up for beta will then get in at that point; those who have also bought the game in the past should have access to it as well.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • vindirvindir Member UncommonPosts: 68

Thankfully I am one of the few who bought it, played  and subbed for a bit. This I understand entiltes me to the last phase of betas (beta 4?) and the first 30 days free. I am not in the beta for next weekend yet, but at least I get something to make a decision.

Even without the perks for buying and subbing to their first version, I would still probebly buy and sub for a bit based on past experince with the first FFO.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633

Only if it released F2p. I spent ~120 dollars on that last POS, they didnt give me a beta invite so they can choke on a .....

I feel really burned about it. plus I have legacy friends in the alpha who said they made it into a WoW clone now.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

How many Final Fantasy titles have been released the last decade?

I haven't played any of them. So this time I might just jump into it.

But I wonder why they keep releasing new titles, do they kill the previous ones? Or do they just die?

I don't understand.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by jazz.be

But I wonder why they keep releasing new titles, do they kill the previous ones? Or do they just die?

I don't understand.

11 and 14 are MMOs,  all the others are single player RPGs.. 11 is still running

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Ehllfhire

Only if it released F2p. I spent ~120 dollars on that last POS, they didnt give me a beta invite so they can choke on a .....

I feel really burned about it. plus I have legacy friends in the alpha who said they made it into a WoW clone now.

You shouldn't trust someone who both breaks their NDA and judges a game that probably had less than 1% of the total systems in place.  Also, not getting into a beta where hundreds of thousands of people apply should not make one angry at the company; the fact that the game originally sucked should, but at the same time the new producer and team have been doing a fabulous job.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

I believe beta phase four is scheduled to be the "open beta" of the testing.  It's my assumption that those who signed up for beta will then get in at that point; those who have also bought the game in the past should have access to it as well.

My only concern about this beta4, is that the "open beta" will consist of a few weekend beta tests where we get just a tidbit of the game to chomp on.  SW:TOR and AOC both used this tactic.  Both games gave you a taste of the actual game, tons of people preordered both games having played those beta weekends.  Only to find that the game really suffered after the initial starting areas.   The starting areas were very well done and a lot of fun,  but once the late & end game were reached.  Both games suffered horribly from multiple problems.

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689

It has some WoW to it, but it s no clone, thats for sure.

You shouldn't trust someone who both breaks their NDA and judges a game that probably had less than 1% of the total systems in place.  Also, not getting into a beta where hundreds of thousands of people apply should not make one angry at the company; the fact that the game originally sucked should, but at the same time the new producer and team have been doing a fabulous job.

Who cares if they break NDA to family members? The fact I spent a lot of money, they should guarantee all who had a founders account into beta 1 not open beta

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

Originally posted by ragz45

My only concern about this beta4, is that the "open beta" will consist of a few weekend beta tests where we get just a tidbit of the game to chomp on.  SW:TOR and AOC both used this tactic.  Both games gave you a taste of the actual game, tons of people preordered both games having played those beta weekends.  Only to find that the game really suffered after the initial starting areas.  Areas that they never got to see in the "open beta".

According to the schedule they released a month or two ago, all phases will last anywhere between two to four weeks.  In addition, while phase one only has Gridania content, other nations will open as the test progresses.  This is especially true if they want to test all jobs, as each nation specializes in different job classes.

Originally posted by ragz45

My only concern about this beta4, is that the "open beta" will consist of a few weekend beta tests where we get just a tidbit of the game to chomp on.  SW:TOR and AOC both used this tactic.  Both games gave you a taste of the actual game, tons of people preordered both games having played those beta weekends.  Only to find that the game really suffered after the initial starting areas.  Areas that they never got to see in the "open beta".

According to the schedule they released a month or two ago, all phases will last anywhere between two to four weeks.  In addition, while phase one only has Gridania content, other nations will open as the test progresses.  This is especially true if they want to test all jobs, as each nation specializes in different job classes.

Just like beta the first time, it was limited to one faction, then all 3 in the open beta so dont expect extensive faction testing.

PS3

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Title should read "Will you buy FF:XIV once it's Re-released, if you haven't played it?"

That there, should be enough to tell you whether you should buy the game or not...

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• Originally posted by jazz.be

I don't understand.

Just to answer your question, most FFs are console single player games, only 2 of them (XI and XIV) are mmorpgs, XI is still ongoing and have been having updates and all, with a decent player base but since the graphics and gameplay is quite outdated, it isn't that appealing to the modern gamers community.

FFXIV, was released some years ago, it wasn't a successful release, there were of things that could be better for the gameplay, the UI was also slow and confussing, so a new developer team took over and did their best to fix most of the big issues, the game got better after that, fighter battle system and faster UI, plus other additions, but still it seems that there was just so much they could do, so instead of trying to fix it, it was easier for them to remake it and that is where "A Realm Reborn" comes in.

FFXIV:ARR is a improved FFXIV in many was, they use a different graphic engine ( less demanding for the PC min. requierements), the battle system got also a big improvement and things just seem to be better...there isnt a whole lot of information about it now since it is still on Alpha/Beta testing and because of the NDA, no official reviews have been made about every single feature the new version will have.

As for what was said of being a WoW clone... truly... WoW fanatics do need to stop with this trolling, it just creates endless rumors and some people will believe it. FFXIV is nothing like WoW, not even the UI looks the same (which is one of the first thing wow fanatics point out as being a "clone")

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Anyone voting 'that ship is burned beyond recognition' clearly hasn't read anything about the changes made to the game. The rerelease is essentially a new game and there is no way anyone could yet know the quality of those changes... It really bugs me when people pass judgement without reading anything about it.
    Originally posted by Alberel
    Anyone voting 'that ship is burned beyond recognition' clearly hasn't read anything about the changes made to the game. The rerelease is essentially a new game and there is no way anyone could yet know the quality of those changes... It really bugs me when people pass judgement without reading anything about it.

You clearly werent burned by SE and XIV

PS3

Who cares if they break NDA to family members? The fact I spent a lot of money, they should guarantee all who had a founders account into beta 1 not open beta

This is an unrealistic expectation and may be logistically impossible to adhere to.  There were many, many people who bought the original game.  The scope of the first test probably didn't need that much people, as only a few servers are being used.  In addition, those who originally bought that game got the game they bought in addition to 12 plus months of subscriptionless gameplay.  Indeed, it goes without saying that they had ample time to get Legacy Status by simply subscribing for 3 months when the game was finally worth subscribing to at the rate of $9/mo.  It was said many times, for over a year, that Legacy would get specific things and that more benefits would be forthcoming for their loyalting and unwavering support that pushed the development team to make the best version 1.0 game updates and future 2.0 game they could.

Version 1.0 became a decent game over time, and it had tons of story and things to do.

This is an unrealistic expectation and may be logistically impossible to adhere to.  There were many, many people who bought the original game.  The scope of the first test probably didn't need that much people, as only a few servers are being used.  In addition, those who originally bought that game got the game they bought in addition to 12 plus months of subscriptionless gameplay.  Indeed, it goes without saying that they had ample time to get Legacy Status by simply subscribing for 3 months when the game was finally worth subscribing to at the rate of $9/mo.  It was said many times, for over a year, that Legacy would get specific things and that more benefits would be forthcoming for their loyalting and unwavering support that pushed the development team to make the best version 1.0 game updates and future 2.0 game they could.

Version 1.0 became a decent game over time, and it has tons of story and things to do.

I tried to stay but the game was so awfully boring and dead. There was no way in hell Id have paid any money for it.

PS3

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    This might be the one upcoming MMO with a chance of retaining my interest.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Oh believe me I was, but I have the ability to read the changes made and I recognise that they have made vast improvements. You understand that a new producer and director made the rerelease right? He has a different vision and has overhauled the ENTIRE game's systems. Not a single thing remains unchanged. They're even on an entirely different engine.

This is a different game to the original XIV release, hence the title change.

Too many people like yourself seem to just think they're repackaging the same game. Do a bit of research and read what's been changed. They have specific details on a lot of things, and the impressions from the press event last week have all been positive.

Oh believe me I was, but I have the ability to read the changes made and I recognise that they have made vast improvements. You understand that a new producer and director made the rerelease right? He has a different vision and has overhauled the ENTIRE game's systems. Not a single thing remains unchanged. They're even on an entirely different engine.

This is a different game to the original XIV release, hence the title change.

Too many people like yourself seem to just think they're repackaging the same game. Do a bit of research and read what's been changed. They have specific details on a lot of things, and the impressions from the press event last week have all been positive.

Research means nothing without having it in hand to try. All research gives me is Dev talk and hype. I will not believe a word of any game producer, as all their projects are AAA wow busters

PS3

Version 1.0 became a decent game over time, and it has tons of story and things to do.

I tried to stay but the game was so awfully boring and dead. There was no way in hell Id have paid any money for it.

Then that was a concious choice to not use the free additional month they gave after saying they thought the game was good enough to be subscribed to at $9 per month.  The Grand Company storyline and Dalamund was a great addition to the game.  Most of the people started gathering in Ul'dah as that became the social hub of the game.  If you looked in the other city-states they were probably barren as you have said.  Don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from.  You've been burned by a company that you trusted would bring you an experience similar to that of FFXI.  They failed horribly, and for that Yoshi-P and his team have apologized over and over again.  They didn't work on the old version, but they flat out admitted it was bad and that the last team didn't even try.  Since then he said he convinced Square Enix to sink enormous amounts of money to remake the game, get a development team that was roughly 10 times the size of the last, and worry about making a good game rather than how much it would cost; his reason was that they had to treat the MMO genre as something seriously, and the last effort was horrible and pompous.

Since he took over the game took a new direction.  The world map was no longer a maze (you could climb and fall down small and medium cliffs), there was no fatigue, auto-attack was added, new ways to get TP added, no longer limited by a attack drain bar, increased responsiveness of attacks... 30+ hours of new cutscenes, the sky dome changing with each patch as a meteor got closer... tons of stories and new quests, improving behests, etc.  They even implemented old FFXI classes with class quests and AF armor.

It was truly a different game.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I don't know if the games drastically changed, or if I just outgrew them, but I haven't enjoyed a Final Fantasy game since number 8 (which wasn't that great anyway).  As a result, I generally don't buy them.

You make me like charity

Research means nothing without having it in hand to try. All research gives me is Dev talk and hype. I will not believe a word of any game producer, as all their projects are AAA wow busters

Here's pure gameplay by the devs as they answer questions about the gamepad.

Towards the end they show a little unedited combat, as well as explain things such as movement and ease of use.

The engine is completely new, the graphics are remade or redone.

This one shows both PC and PS3 versions (PS3 is not optimized).  It shows you how dramatically different each area is.  You probably won't even recognize Limsa Lominsa or the lands outside of Ul'dah.

Lastly, here is the benchmark, which is all in game actions taken at unique camera angles:

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    i dont plan on anything ground breaking, just something not broken. ffxi with updated graphics and a tad more solo friendly and i'm sold. sorry, just really need my chocobo riding fix.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)