Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: New Director's Letter Explains Server Merges

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The latest PlanetSide 2 director's letter has been published on the official forums. In it, Matt Higby lays out the case for server closures as well as reveals new information about the 'road map' that the development team is following over the next several months.

Finally: Server Merges. Next week we will be doing server merges to help even populations across all game servers. Right now we have a lot of disparity between populations on our servers, some are highly populated with active fights across all continents, some are not. This is a factor of which servers were most popular at launch, and players gravitating to one or two servers per locale. Now that the crush of new players from launch and the holidays has died down, and our server populations and incoming new players have stabilized we have a good idea of where each server stands in terms of player population, empire population and we can model merges to optimize the populations.

You won’t have to do anything to participate, the entire server population will be moving, your friends, outfits & certs will all be coming with you. Those of you on servers that are being merged will just see that your character is on a different server the next time you log in after the merger is complete. The result of these merges will be a more consistent and full server population during off-peak hours, more players to support better utilization of all of the continents in the game and, generally a lot more massive in your massively-multiplayer. Shortly after the merges are complete we plan to begin offering server transfer tokens, so if you would prefer to go to a different server at that point you could.

Read the rest of the letter on the PlanetSide 2 site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    And so it begins... the downfall.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    I can say, without a doubt, the servers are packed, mostly. Some servers need to be merged for balance.
  • ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Server merge, who cares? More people for me to pwn, splendid, if anything.

When in doubt, troll.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The less servers the better with PS2 no question.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

It's not the downfall, infact they are fixing a lot of problems, making it more desireable than it was at launch. They still have a long ways to go in fixing the metagameplay, but the fact is they launched with WAY too many servers in the first place.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

More proof that F2P isn't the magic solution to the industry's woes.

Seems a game that will struggle will struggle regardless. I would love to see some real and honest  figures as to just how 'F2P' games are doing across the board. It seems we are seeing just as much player loss with the model as we ever did with a sub.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Seems a game that will struggle will struggle regardless. I would love to see some real and honest  figures as to just how 'F2P' games are doing across the board. It seems we are seeing just as much player loss with the model as we ever did with a sub.

I honestly don't think they are struggling, not really at all PS2 is cash machine. Hell I spent 40 on beta, and another 60 after launch. That's saying a lot. I'm just not a FPS person. I still pop in every now and then though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Waits for the hysterical cries of Planetside 2 is DOOMED!!!... ^^ (rolls eyes).  This makes a great deal of sense, and more companies should go this route, sooner, rather than later.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by bcbully

I honestly don't think they are struggling, not really at all PS2 is cash machine. Hell I spent 40 on beta, and another 60 after launch. That's saying a lot. I'm just not a FPS person. I still pop in every now and then though.

I can t remeber where the article is, but apparently PS2 is making a killing.

• XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130

They're merging because most servers only have consistant fights on one of the three continents. Some servers are active enough to be left alone as well. With the upcoming release of more continents the server merges will be needed. As a former active player (BR87), I'm looking forward to jumping back into the game with the merges. More players on the two less-played continents will make me more interested in the game. 

The main thing they need to work on now is more incentive to capture and hold territory. Right now there's hardly a downside to losing territory, hopefully that changes in the next update or two.

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    you have to be a millionaire to even play this game, I will pass!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• ScaryMonkScaryMonk Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by Deto123

apparently?  Is it?  I heard it was going tits up.  Since i have no more citation than you both our comments are nonsense.  

Originally posted by ScaryMonk

apparently?  Is it?  I heard it was going tits up.  Since i have no more citation than you both our comments are nonsense.  

OK, It is making a killing, hows that.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I am sure that's the line and all, but mergers speak for themselves.

I don't actually doubt they are still making profit, but the shrinkage is plain to see.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by ScaryMonk

OK, It is making a killing, hows that.

You clearly aren't reading.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    The less servers the better with PS2 no question.

+1.  Some MMOs 'get away' with not merging when they should.  They are worse off for that. SOE is making the right decision 100% and I do not think it downcasts the quality of the game; if anything it raises my hopes that SOE is bringing this great game in the correct direction.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I'm happy!  I'm one of those who thinks that MMOs are always relased with too many servers.  This is certainly a step in the right direction.  More WAAAAAAGH!
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by HikaruShidou
    Originally posted by Seelinnikoi

It's not the downfall, infact they are fixing a lot of problems, making it more desireable than it was at launch. They still have a long ways to go in fixing the metagameplay, but the fact is they launched with WAY too many servers in the first place.

It may not be its downfall, but it sure isn't a sign of healthy growth of the game population.  You'd expect the game to keep expanding at least for the first six months if not the first year and then to remain relatively stable for an even longer period.  That so many have left is a sign that there isn't enough to the game to keep people around long term, let alone spend money on it.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    No meta, no retention.
  • AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by inmysights
    you have to be a millionaire to even play this game, I will pass!

Say what??? 

I played the game and still playing when not playing GW2 and I make mad killing and have lots of fun every time I log on to this game and all without spending a dime! You don't need to be a millionaire to play this game, you just need million skills!!! And I do have some skill to get some kills. The game is beatiful and very fun now I just need more free time to play it :)

• Hyperion5182Hyperion5182 Member Posts: 66

They need to address the RAM issue on this game above all the other fixes.

I cant afford the upgrades required to put this computer into a level where i can play PS2 without violating that 1.5 limit that'll crash games on 32 bit systems. I can for a while but it keeps growing and growing. I like the game and i've found a server that's actually fun. Its actually going to get merged with my old server which had competition but the timezone issues made more fights onesided than i'd like.

Honestly not sure if it launched with too many servers or not. At least these guys are willing to get the merges rolling early. And that its only a few servers suggests the others are doing just fine. Waterson's pretty active right now just came from a battle there.

The money DOES help. But they've added features that allow you to track cert gain and certs are more easily gained now. My advice: dont try to do EVERYTHING. Pick a couple of rolls that suit you and vehicles you want to use. For instance

Heavy Engi Max, (Max is a side class on base use) Heavy and Engi let you switch between offense/defense and support/defense in a pretty quick fashion. I'm gearing up a lightning right now but if you solo alot you wanna consider the flash which you can add a weapon onto. I'm not bothering with an aircraft for now. Especially if the game doesnt allow flightstick usage in the future. So far i'm doing fine, I have thought about other weapons (which is a pretty significant cert grind) BUT starting weapons are not bad in all but the Max's case. you want access to an extra infantry gun or dual air guns. Maybe even dual vehicle guns depending on how far you go into resistance.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

So much people complaining about this proving the downfall..

tbh PS2 simply ran with alot to much servers compared to the vastness and distancesof the maps and people required to fill them up.

This is just a nice step forward to have active community will full continents and massive battles.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281

Name a game that hasn't had or doesn't need server mergers.  Except those that started with too few.  

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78

I think that as far as f2p games go, Planetside 2 is quite fair. I just tried it for a few days and had a lot of fun without paying a dime. I played on Ceres and there was always a LOT going on, never a dull moment of waiting.

The problem that ultimately keeps me from playing is the game's engine. It's just not performing well on my system, even though it meets the 'optimal recommended specs'. i can play okay as medic and sniper, but close to medium and vehicle combat is impossible due to brutal frame rate drops regardless of how I tweak graphics options.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    As a former marketing person...one of the things I learned ......you only get one real shot...and it had better be good. This game was not ready at launch.....and it still has some signifigant issues.Many of the initial triers have not continued to play and it will be very difficult to get them to re try the game.