Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Ready to Lift the Veil

13»

Comments

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Pay to play=a big turn off.

No need to know more

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

Free to play: expensive to have access to all content, updates focused on shops and vanity instead gameplay content, pay to unlock storage, pay to unlock inventory, pay to can mount, pay to can fly, pay to unlock skillbars, pay to have housing, pay to unlock advanced classes, pay to unlock special race, pay to change your hair, style, pay to unlock wardrove/vanity gear system, ETC.

Monthly fee: 9.99€ to have access to all. Updates focused on Content and not on shop items.

Free to play is only good for these who want to test the game and are not interested in endgame content, raid, pvp, etc.

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370

I never played the first FF14 but heard alot of gripes about it. Square-Enix took the time and reworked this game and its now A Realm Reborn. To give it negative feedback before even trying it is pathetic. as far a it being subscrition based.. well i forked over 1600 dollars to Blizzard to play WoW and so feel that if the developers of FFXIV:ARR took the time and patience to fix thier game then players should give them a chance. how many other developers have released crappy games and never bothered to go back and fix thier mistakes.

Give Square Enix another chance folks at least they put for the effort to fix thier game. thats more than i can say for WOW, GW2, STO, SW:TOR, or any other 100 games over the last 20 years. Maybe for once Square Enix will set a precedence. Knocking it because they messed up once doesnt mean they cant fix thier mistakes and from what ive seen and heard this game seems like it might actually be worth trying out.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• ResertonReserton Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by ICEBLUE

What strikes me odd is the fact that no real consideration is being given to those of us who invested in the box the last time. I have a the colectors box of all things, hehe.

When registering for Beta they dont seem to consider this, you would think they would ask former purchasers into beta before opening it up to new players interested in jus ttaking a look at it..

I guess we wait and see how it goes.

I have no idea how you missed this, unless this (pretty lackluster) article is the only thing you ahve read on FFXIV in the past year but....

Anyone who invested in the box got:

-Over a year of free playtime in 1.0 to see the new teams changes.

-In Closed Beta as of phase 3 (first 2 are Gridania only)

-Free copy of ARR

-30 Days free after the official launch (on top of however long beta 3 and 4 last)

So yes they did give real consideration to those of us who invested in the box last time.

Also peopel who subscribed to FFXIV v1 for 90 days or more got into version one of the beta, their names in the credits (if they wanted), and a lifetime discount on the subscription.

Sorry what A "free copy of ARR" ? Er no.. I think you will find we all Purchased FFXIV. And for a lot more then it will cost for RR for people who did not.

Our copy of FFXIV : RR is in "NO WAY" free. There is NO WAY they could ever have gotten away with charging people who had ALREADY bought the game again for the non beta version of their game.

FFXIV was a rushed out beta and was a mess, FFXIV : RR is us getting exactly what we paid for, as is the 30 days subscription.

The people who bought FFXIV on launch get "NOTHING" extra, they get their game and the 30 days they paid for when they bought it, and that is it. Stop acting like we are getting something for free.

The only people who get "anything" are the people who paid for 3 months of an unfinished game after the initial year of paid for beta.

I bought the collectors edition on launch and gave it a chance, but it was terrible, all I get is the ability to come back and use my month I got witht he game to see if the game is worth playing again.
  • ResertonReserton Member Posts: 52

Doublepost.

• KcebEnyawKcebEnyaw Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    I need into the beta or a free trial before I will consider this game again.

This little tid bit seems to have been lost in the Sea of Information about ARR but I just thought you and everyone else on MMORPG.com should know:

Beta Phase 4 is an Open Beta of the Full Client with No NDA. Everyone and Anyone who wants to try out this game before they commit will have the Chance to Play for Free.

http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_BETA_Roadmap_EN.pdf

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    i cant wait. This is what FF14 should've been from the start and I'm looking forward to jumping in!

Count me in. :-)

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by Vesavius

FFXIV will do just fine on a sub. It's far better to cater to the needs of a niche of paying customers than trying to appeal to the entitled squalling masses of 'F2P' and all the baggage they bring.

The revenue model *was not the issue* the first time round. It neither hurt them or hindered them. It had nothing to do with why the game failed for so many. Being F2P would *not* have made the game any better. It was irrelevant, so it not having it this time is not 'strange'.

I totally agree with what you wrote above. For example I play Fallen Earth which is a  "Free 2 Play" mmo, however I found myself paying for a subscription anyways. I have absolutely no issue with P2P. As long as the game is good and has improved ( Here's hoping ). it will do perfectly fine.

Really wishing them the best of luck and hope it goes well this time around.

• Dimsum1337Dimsum1337 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    This is the only game I trully wish to succeed in 2013. I was there for the launch... and I dont want my childhood and the Final Fantasy franchise and the good name of Square Enix ruined any more ... 
  • jctopjctop Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by ICEBLUE

What strikes me odd is the fact that no real consideration is being given to those of us who invested in the box the last time. I have a the colectors box of all things, hehe.

When registering for Beta they dont seem to consider this, you would think they would ask former purchasers into beta before opening it up to new players interested in jus ttaking a look at it..

I guess we wait and see how it goes.

I have no idea how you missed this, unless this (pretty lackluster) article is the only thing you ahve read on FFXIV in the past year but....

Anyone who invested in the box got:

-Over a year of free playtime in 1.0 to see the new teams changes.

-In Closed Beta as of phase 3 (first 2 are Gridania only)

-Free copy of ARR

-30 Days free after the official launch (on top of however long beta 3 and 4 last)

So yes they did give real consideration to those of us who invested in the box last time.

Also peopel who subscribed to FFXIV v1 for 90 days or more got into version one of the beta, their names in the credits (if they wanted), and a lifetime discount on the subscription.

Since I've been living under a rock in regards to FFXIV ...where can I find the info on this?

• jctopjctop Member Posts: 3
    Also, since I've found a couple of references to original players getting ARR for free, and access to betas and whatnot, how do you actually opt-in , get the download (when it's released) , etc.  I logged into my account on line, and didn't see any reference to any of the inclusions.
  • GibocracyGibocracy Member UncommonPosts: 17
    signed up for beta and i doubt i will get in.  Has anyone received beta codes yet?  
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by jctop
    Also, since I've found a couple of references to original players getting ARR for free, and access to betas and whatnot, how do you actually opt-in , get the download (when it's released) , etc.  I logged into my account on line, and didn't see any reference to any of the inclusions.

No need to opt in.

Here you have the original announcement of 2.0

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/

Originally posted by

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/

The New FINAL FANTASY XIV and the PlayStation®3 System Version

Between October and December of 2012, we plan to integrate the current service and the coming PlayStation®3 version into the all-new FINAL FANTASY XIV. At this time, a second free trial period will also be offered.

Among our new plans is the fundamental reworking of in-game maps. As part of this process, there will be a period required for switching over to a new client and new servers, after which there will be a large transfer of data when service is brought back online. After the new client is completed, new software for the PC version will be distributed online, and can be acquired free of charge. Character data and progress for players already playing the PC version will also be preserved, allowing those players to continue using their in-game avatars. Another announcement will be made in the future as the day on which the new FINAL FANTASY XIV software will become available for download draws near, and the PlayStation®3 system version officially released.

The dates are obviously wrong, but it still applies.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/index2.html

This updated roadmap outlines when you get into the beta (phase 3 automatically).

The beta roadmap outlines when you will be accepted into beta, you will want to double check the email you have registered on your account to make sure it is up to date so you get the email (if you don't you can contact them and they will sort it out).

For almost two years there was a big banner on the lodestone that outlined all the specifics of how they were handling original purchasers.  It had info in it on version 1 and the extended free period etc., but they have since taken it down to advertise ARR.  Anyways you don't need to opt in though, everyone gets a copy (digitally most likely, but all MMO's are digital now even most boxed sales)

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170

I'll have to see others play it and spend money on it to believe it!

If it turns out to be what FFXI should have been from the start but did not become until decades after it was too late and what I, personally, invisioned the ultimate FF experience to be then, and only then, will I give it one more try.

• kusiubkusiub Member Posts: 2
    One of four titles im waiting for. Beta starts Monday 25th hope i'll get in. 

iGs is The Best!

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Reading some of the negative replies in this thread and the self entitlements just shows how much they even bothered to read about FFXIV ARR.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

I'll be cautiously optimistic for this title.

The gameplay looks much better. Still a little too much like WoW, if the global cooldown was 3 seconds rather than 1.5, but it does seem like you aren't just staring at your character for 14 out of 15 seconds like that abomination this game was before. 

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

I bought the original FFXIV and it was the worst MMO I have ever played. I loved FFXI too, so I was expecting many things to be the Japanese/Square way, but it was just that the game was wrong in every way possible.

In this article the person says, "While combat carries out in the same traditional ways you’re used to"

That is enough for me to say, I will skip this game. The combat was horrible, all they did was add new animations and make them not take as long, who cares, its just still boring combat but less time per fight.

I feel sorry for theses guys really.......they must have spent a fortubne to re-launch and its going to fail hardser this time around.

You can play Tera for free and it has great graphics, better combat, cgi movies throughout, and is a better overall game made for PC and also has controller option, but with actual fast paced combat that can make use of it.

I will try this beta since I guess we are supposed to get in if we already bought the original, but it would be the surprise of my life if it changed my mind.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by khameleon

I bought the original FFXIV and it was the worst MMO I have ever played. I loved FFXI too, so I was expecting many things to be the Japanese/Square way, but it was just that the game was wrong in every way possible.

In this article the person says, "While combat carries out in the same traditional ways you’re used to"

That is enough for me to say, I will skip this game. The combat was horrible, all they did was add new animations and make them not take as long, who cares, its just still boring combat but less time per fight.

I feel sorry for theses guys really.......they must have spent a fortubne to re-launch and its going to fail hardser this time around.

You can play Tera for free and it has great graphics, better combat, cgi movies throughout, and is a better overall game made for PC and also has controller option, but with actual fast paced combat that can make use of it.

I will try this beta since I guess we are supposed to get in if we already bought the original, but it would be the surprise of my life if it changed my mind.

This article is one of the worst at actually conveying any of the changes. The combat system has been completely overhauled... I suggest you go read the preview at Massively as that one actually goes into detail on the changes.

I find it bizarre that you said you loved FFXI, hated FFXIV and then recommend Tera though... if Tera is your kind of game, and you hated XIV's combat then how the hell did you enjoy XI? The FF games have always been about slow tactical combat, including XI, so it sounds more to me like you're following the wrong franchise...