Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] The War Z: A Painfully Executed Parody of a Survival Game

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I love the picture of the "Speed Limit 50" sign and how it is reflecting in the pond.  LMAO

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    lmfao. could this be the dawn of legitimatte reviews for MMORPG?
  • pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

Still i insist on one thing..Yes the game is bad..and Bill kinda tried to justify the comparison between WarZ and DayZ...I have no objection for comparing...but bashing and then PROMOTING another game (''If you’re going to give your money to a zombie-survival game, grab ArmA II and a copy of the DayZ mod, or wait for the full retail version of DayZ to arrive on digital store shelves and check that out. Do not buy into The War Z. '') is a totally different story .

In addittion, if i was a reviewer and followed Bill's words(''That DOES NOT MEAN our writers can't compare one game to another for the sake of reference points, and in this case the connection between Day Z and War Z is obvious'')  then would it be ok if i wrote:

''Allods online is bad go spend money and buy WoW'' (both fantasy RPG-MMO AND a true statement...)

or

''I'd suggest you put your money on Champions Online instead of DC universe''( both superhero mmorpg)

My question to Bill is this : Would this make my statement a REVIEW or an indirect advertisement?

Does the ''badness'' of a game gives a reviewer the freedom to suggest an alternate product of the same genre? I might even agree, especially on this occassion .But who can assure that  one day someone will go full negative on a famous game (like Darkfall-Eurogamer case) and at the same time propose another game (ex. Mortal Online). What would happen then?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Hm, seems a strangely low score. Specially considering games like Mortal Online originally got 6.9, shortly after it was released, and that game was barely functional at that time.

So if this game got 1.7 it must mean it does not work at all? Sorry but this does not make any sense, unless the scores are not comparable in which case they are pointless?

Anyway, I have not played this game so I am sure it is as terrible as being said but something is fishy about this score...

• PipofixPipofix Member Posts: 32
    How can you even begin to call this "rewiev" unbiased? I'll agree that the games devs didn't do a good job in regards to communication etc. They even made some blatant mistakes you could argue. But calling this rewiev unbiased, what do you take your readers for? Stupid? You should be ashamed that you even let this garbage of a rewiev pass. I played this game on and off since december, its clear that the "author" doesn't have a clue what hes talking about. Never reading any of his garbage again I can tell you that!
  • CylintCylint Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by nttajira

after this review im never going to take www.mmorpg.com review seriously .

bad f2p asian never get lower that 6 , in fact you have never give anything even the worst game ever something lower that 5 i think .

but you give BAD game high review alot of the time ( im guessing they give big money for that )

and you will make me think this game deserve a 1.2 ?? even if that true , you just TRASHTALK

this game review into the ground , that in no way a professional review . to me you just look like a angry kids who want to trashtalk about a game he dislike .....

i have play this warz game and i agree that TOTALY A REALY BAD GAME and probably deserve a realy low scores , but the problem that because you NEVER give real review and fair review in mmorpg.com website .

for resume , dont realy take mmorpg.com review seriously . someone here probably never got the money he deserved for make the review.... LOL .

I love you long time.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Finds it hilarious how many people in the community were ALL about this game until they added some things to the shop they disagreed with.

Isn't it interesting how they weren't worried about the poor graphics the idea that some total stranger can just kill you instantly permanently without recourse or consequence and take all your stuff, no that couldn't possibly cause problems for players at all! But now that they have a couple items in the store watchout! GASP!

I've agreed with this sentiment about this type of game long before it became cool.

Damn it! I can't belive your actually calling this a rewiev!

If you people at mmorpg are trying to build a serious webpage, this really isnt benefitting you the way I see it. It just show how week and smallminded you are.

After seeing this: http://sv.twitch.tv/weekingeek/b/370161228

This jewel of a rewiev actually makes sense.

Good fn riddance.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

I think we can all agree that this is not about the negative review but about the major difference of negativity (as far as NUMBERS are concerned) compared to other MMORPG reviews of ''bad"' games....And about the indirect ''push of a forthcoming title...And taking all these and compacting them into a ''review'' which i personally think was biased...

***And YES the WARZ is bad. If the reviewer thinks that the game  unfinished  beyond playability and can't be even called a game(something about''controls working so here's a point) then he shouldn't even write anything about it...

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by pupurun

I think we can all agree that this is not about the negative review but about the major difference of negativity (as far as NUMBERS are concerned) compared to other MMORPG reviews of ''bad"' games....And about the indirect ''push of a forthcoming title...And taking all these and compacting them into a ''review'' which i personally think was biased...

***And YES the WARZ is bad. If the reviewer thinks that the game  unfinished  beyond playability and can't be even called a game(something about''controls working so here's a point) then he shouldn't even write anything about it...

There are other games out there that deserved similar results but did not get them, they got a lot higher, you got to wonder why? 

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    OK, I lol'd.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Originally posted by pupurun

There are other games out there that deserved similar results but did not get them, they got a lot higher, you got to wonder why? 

ok it deserved it

• iozayiozay Member UncommonPosts: 29

A decent review with some fair points, I most defenitely agree. Nonetheless, it is an MMO which might improve things here and there and I feel that an 1.7 might be a bit too low. Not that I expected a number as large as a 7(Gosh, a 6 would still be generous for an released-alpha) but still :)

But alright, opinions may differ here and there ^^

Originally posted by iozay

A decent review with some fair points, I most defenitely agree. Nonetheless, it is an MMO which might improve things here and there and I feel that an 1.7 might be a bit too low. Not that I expected a number as large as a 7(Gosh, a 6 would still be generous for an released-alpha) but still :)

But alright, opinions may differ here and there ^^

haha not sure you would have slept with your own idea until someone told you to.  

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

It's refreshing to see a terrible game getting a terrible review score and not a 6/7 out of 10. I remember growing up with Gamepro and EGM, and when they played a bad game they were never shy about letting everyone know just how bad it was.

Good job mmorpg.com.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

ok for those of you old enough to remember the OTHER worst debacle in MMO history...

this VS Dark & light.  DISCUSS.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by wonderwise

That is just pure bashing, it's sad in my point of view.

I see it this way, everyone is bashing the game so you make this "review" just so everyone can agree on and join the bashing?

You are absolutely right!  Lets totally ignore all the other gaming sites bad reviews, lets ignore that the game was removed from Steam due to poor gameplay and flat out lies on the sales page.  Lets totally ignore the stolen artwork, the stolen EULA, the lies from Hammerpoint about skills being in the game and about the game being hack-proof.  Lets also ignore all the videos of the radical hacking of this game on youtube.  Lets just ignore all the FACTS and pretend MMORPG is making this review just to jump on the bandwagon and bash the game. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• HolyMountHolyMount Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Originally posted by wonderwise

That is just pure bashing, it's sad in my point of view.

I see it this way, everyone is bashing the game so you make this "review" just so everyone can agree on and join the bashing?

You are absolutely right!  Lets totally ignore all the other gaming sites bad reviews, lets ignore that the game was removed from Steam due to poor gameplay and flat out lies on the sales page.  Lets totally ignore the stolen artwork, the stolen EULA, the lies from Hammerpoint about skills being in the game and about the game being hack-proof.  Lets also ignore all the videos of the radical hacking of this game on youtube.  Lets just ignore all the FACTS and pretend MMORPG is making this review just to jump on the bandwagon and bash the game. 

haha Talon, do you want a medal or a photo opportunity, because you revelled in that?  nvm

edit; sorry that was entirely unecessary.  

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

"Do not buy into The War Z."

Sums it up nicely.

• UngetuemUngetuem Member UncommonPosts: 5

And on this shit i wasted 50 Bucks...damn, had high hopes in this game and now..seems like it will stay alpha forever^^

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Usually, if your goal is to be clear and unbiased, you don't say: "I'm not reviewing this game because I have an extremely negative bias toward it, so I'm having a stringer I pay do it for me." The stringer obviously knows your bias since you have no problem telling everyone in the free world,  so of course he's got an implied incentive to agree with the guy signing his checks and of course the review makes the game out to look like the worst thing since the Black Plague! 

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure the game sucks ass, but considering Rift and SWTOR scored ridiculously high... and both sucked ass as well... I'm kinda left scratching my head. Yet, I do know Trion opened the checkbook for a special column on this site and SWTOR had bought avertising. Considering both games were, at best, WoW Clones with maybe 1 or 2 additional gimmicks, I do have to express a bit of dubiousness toward this review. SWTOR also had ridiculously crappy load times, graphical bugs, and insanely choppy controls (hell, my Jedi Sentinel would actually not attack sometimes when I pushed the button 15 times.). And don't even get me started on the bugs Rift had at release.

Let's get a little consistency of reviewing here. How does this game score a 1 in Innovation while games like Rift score 7-8? The only way Trion could have possibly innovated less is if they used the "World of Warcraft" logo, then Xed out the Warcraft and handwrote "Rift."

I won't go as far as to say the fix is in, but I can't help but wonder if that 1.7 would have been closer to 7.1 if the War Z developers had hired Paul Crilley to do a column and paid MMORPG.com a generous stipend. That's all I'll say. 

EDIT: Eh, nevermind what I just said. There's a time and a place to defend the title being crapped on and point out a few inconsistencies, but this title isn't worth defending. While I think MMORPG probably should have gone with a 5, considering that's what they gave freaking Final Fantasy 14, the game that was so craptacular its own developers pulled it from the market and apologized to us, a 2 ( rounded up) is not out of the question for this game.  

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    get this guy to re-review afew of the so called big AAA games, lmao i wonder what he would have given the crap that has been churned out over the last few years.
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Originally posted by Talonsin

Fair points, but let's not also ignore the fact that MMORPG has always, historically, gone out of their way to find the gold inside a horse apple... often times to the sheer bewilderment of the readers. For the best example, read the series of reviews of Warhammer Age of Reckoning when it first came out. I was left scratching my head and saying: "Are you *sure* you played this game? The game barely even works, has no more PvP than WoW does... yet markets itself as a PvP MMO... and you're giving it a 7.4." 

Hell, they even gave Final Fantasy 14 a 5.1... and that was a game that was so bad the company shut it down within a year, apologized for how terrible it was, and went back to the drawing boards! 

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    1.7? You must have been in a charitable mood... ^^  I doubt I've seen a single game make so many of the classic mistakes at once, as this one does.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
This discussion has been closed.