Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Cryptic why?

PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
I have a bad feeling on this game..I wonder why this game did not go Pay to play? Is there something wrong with it that had to go Free to play? My other thoughts were, why choose Perfect world?  Perfect world is not a bad company, but however their high over priced Item mall  will turn me away from this game.Good Luck with it cryptic...

I retired retroactively..Haha

Comments

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Because releasing pay2play games in current MMO market is suicide and waste of money and you will be forced to transition to either B2P or F2P within year of operating. There is too much of competition on the market to risk it and peopel won't pay subscription for a game if 10 other games don't require it. 

As to why PW? Because Cryptic is part of PW. They were bought out after Atari sold them. Simple as that. They can't really develop game sunder different publisher. 

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I think after Cryptic started to work on Neverwinter, the rest was straightforward. Cryptic is at PWE (for "why choose Perfect world") and PWE is meaning microtransaction (for "why this game did not go Pay to play"). The only part which was a surprise is the "no subscription" part, that's new.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Perfect World owns Cryptic. Also, P2P games arent that popular right now, especially with several decent F2P and B2P titles out there already to compete with, and more coming this year. It just wouldn't have a decent initial adoption rate if it went the traditional box + sub route. 

Today's market is not the same as it was in years past.

• AzendisAzendis Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I think it is all due to the change in the MMO market. Ftp with an item shop seems to make them more money. It will be worth playing and hopefully it will be enjoyable. I am hopeful but not foolish.
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Thanks folks i did not know cryptic was own by PW...Thanks for the fast feed back..

I retired retroactively..Haha

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Any company making a pay to play game is a company looking to go F2P shortly after release with more than likely a half assed attempt creating a piss poor shop and making F2Ps second class players to those that payed in the past in order to not piss them off.

Better to either go F2P or B2P from the start and most companies are learning that now.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Any company making a pay to play game is a company looking to go F2P shortly after release with more than likely a half assed attempt creating a piss poor shop and making F2Ps second class players to those that payed in the past in order to not piss them off.

Better to either go F2P or B2P from the start and most companies are learning that now.

Whether the game is Pay 2 Play, Pay 2 Win, or free to play has nothing too do with how good, indepth, or how good a MMO is going to be overall. If you really honestly believe that then you are no differn't then the media whores out there who believe Obama is a Muslim, and the end of the world is going to happen in 2013 simply because of watching to much T.V, and listening to Rhetoric.

No.

Neverwinter is the way it is because of it's developers. They wanted to make it just another MMO. Dumbed down, and simplified.  That caters to the casual crowd in the MMO community. Period.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by trash656

Whether the game is Pay 2 Play, Pay 2 Win, or free to play has nothing too do with how good, indepth, or how good a MMO is going to be overall. If you really honestly believe that then you are no differn't then the people and media whores out there who delude and brainwash themselves into believing the end of the world is going to happen in 2013 simply because of watching to much T.V

No.

Neverwinter is the way it is because of it's developers. They wanted to make it just another MMO. Dumbed down, and simplified.  That caters to the casual crowd in the MMO community. Period.

Anyone that still believes P2P has to do with quality is still living 10 years in the past and only knows western made games. Anyone saying otherwise is no differn't then the people and media whores out there who delude and brainwash themselves into blah blah hurka durpa durr.

imidoinitrite?

Must be, because I didnt actually say anything with refutes or details to back what I am saying.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Whether the game is Pay 2 Play, Pay 2 Win, or free to play has nothing too do with how good, indepth, or how good a MMO is going to be overall. If you really honestly believe that then you are no differn't then the people and media whores out there who delude and brainwash themselves into believing the end of the world is going to happen in 2013 simply because of watching to much T.V

No.

Anyone that still believes P2P has to do with quality is still living 10 years in the past and only knows western made games. Anyone saying otherwise is no differn't then the people and media whores out there who delude and brainwash themselves into blah blah hurka durpa durr.

imidoinitrite?

Must be, because I didnt actually say anything with refutes or details to back what I am saying.

I never said P2P has anything too do with the Quality of a MMO. My point was whatever way they decide to make the payment options doesn't effect what the quality of a game is. Since when has anyone thought a game was good simply because it was Free to Play B2P or Pay to win? No The quality of a game is based off the development of the game itself. Duh. By your ideology then all Free to Play and B2P MMO must be the best ones out there. Maybe you should actually read a post before replying and wait for your brain to prossess the information to your Brain.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

No.

imidoinitrite?

i do not agree with you on this at all. I do agree about pay to play games sucking for the last ten years though. You gotta keep in mind most of the games that have released since wow have been nothing but clones of wow or piss poor alternatives. Even DAOC and EQ was still going plenty strong while wow was around . Pay to play games can still work fine if dev studios stop listening to share holders and publishers and listen to their players from design up to patches after live. If a game is good people will pay to play it by word of mouth alone. You can go back to all the MANY games here on their forums and see for yourself , all the old pay to play games that had subs that went free had glaring issues from day 1 that MANY people complained about. Rift , AOC , WAR, LOTR online, DnD Online etc all had serious issues from the days of release and why they sold TONS of copies but failed to keep 1/3 of their customers. The only game I can think of that did crappy from the start was TSW and that was to be expected funcom has a track record of not supporting their games after release and it was a horror themed game with very little advertising push. Anyone who played AOC from day one would be hard pressed to trust funcom right away again.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Ezhae

Because releasing pay2play games in current MMO market is suicide and waste of money and you will be forced to transition to either B2P or F2P within year of operating. There is too much of competition on the market to risk it and peopel won't pay subscription for a game if 10 other games don't require it. 

As to why PW? Because Cryptic is part of PW. They were bought out after Atari sold them. Simple as that. They can't really develop game sunder different publisher. 

Its really not that complicated.

Easy answer is that no one has made a game worth a sub to most people since WoW.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by snapfusion

Easy answer is that no one has made a game worth a sub to most people since WoW.

Oh really I'm pretty sure you will get some flak over that statement so Vanguard,Horizons,Fallen Earth,AOC and others I've forgotten are not worthy of my sub but the mighty panda infested WOW is ?   image

p>
  • LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87

I'm fairly certain the P2P model and sub model is basically done since SWTOR. Just my two cents. Even TSW didn't hold out longer than a couple of months before moving in that direction.

And honestly, the whole pre-order buy the box hype is failing on MMOs nowadays. Although they've been replaced with these "founder's packs" phenomenon.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Lanessar

I'm fairly certain the P2P model and sub model is basically done since SWTOR. Just my two cents. Even TSW didn't hold out longer than a couple of months before moving in that direction.

And honestly, the whole pre-order buy the box hype is failing on MMOs nowadays. Although they've been replaced with these "founder's packs" phenomenon.

Im suspecting Elder Scrolls to be pay and sub.

I still want to see a free to sub. Everyone gets to try, if you like it past level xxx you sub and then you don't get shortchanged and all of that. That model has to work for somebody.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Lanessar

Yep.  The list of MMOs that are subscription based is dwindling.  I can really only name one off the top off my head that is subscription based with no free to play option, and that one is WoW, and many games that I thought were going to be subscription based when I first heard about them are going to be either B2P or F2P, including Blade & Soul, Wildstar, Otherland, and Phantasy Star Online 2.  I will not be surprised if all MMOs released from here on out have no subscription or have an option to play without a subscription.  Heck, I am willing to bet (money) that all MMOs, including WoW, will either be released with or adopt B2P/F2P models within 2-3 years.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• SidraketSidraket Member Posts: 79
    People are willing to try subscription based games. When a game is released a lot of people try it. Then they leave it because they dont make good mmos anymore. So to try and salvage things they make the game go free to play. Its because new games mostly suck, not because people aren't willing to pay a subscription.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by darker70
    Originally posted by snapfusion

Oh really I'm pretty sure you will get some flak over that statement so Vanguard,Horizons,Fallen Earth,AOC and others I've forgotten are not worthy of my sub but the mighty panda infested WOW is ?   image

They went from P2P to F2P did they not?  If a game went from P2P to F2P then that speaks volumes about the game.  F2P conversion is a last ditch effort to save a game or to maintain a revenue of said game.  If a game is good enough then it can support it's P2P mandate.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Sometimes a game goes F2P just because it doesn't happen to be popular enough. A games greatness isn't always measured by its success. Sometimes 10 million people can be wrong.

By your logic Hip Hop and Justin Beiber are the greatest forms of music out there.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Popple
    I have a bad feeling on this game..I wonder why this game did not go Pay to play? Is there something wrong with it that had to go Free to play? My other thoughts were, why choose Perfect world?  Perfect world is not a bad company, but however their high over priced Item mall  will turn me away from this game.Good Luck with it cryptic...

People need to seriously get over this mindset that something must be wrong with a game if they go F2P. Modern MMOs are doing it because it is the new business model made popular by gamers. In other words, if Cryptic wants to succeed, they have to go with what is popular right now. 

Don't pre-judge a game based on such shallow terms.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Sometimes a game goes F2P just because it doesn't happen to be popular enough. A games greatness isn't always measured by its success. Sometimes 10 million people can be wrong.

By your logic Hip Hop and Justin Beiber are the greatest forms of music out there.

I love this.  From a commercial point of view that Beiber death puppet is the most succesful artist out there.  

But then Adelle should not be by all US categories. 

It is why I am so glad we do not all have the pretty/ clean teeth US criteria to pass. 

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    Originally posted by Popple

People need to seriously get over this mindset that something must be wrong with a game if they go F2P. Modern MMOs are doing it because it is the new business model made popular by gamers. In other words, if Cryptic wants to succeed, they have to go with what is popular right now. 

Don't pre-judge a game based on such shallow terms.

nm