Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it bother you to see someone with an "exclusive" item via cross-promotion, pre-order, etc?

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Sijjistoryus

Perhaps it's just my persona, but I don't like it when I see items that I cannot possibly get. I don't "need" the item or anything, but I feel like there is a part of the game that is missing. I have fun collecting items. I don't know why.

I simply believe that all in-game items should be earned and obtain in the game.

So it's a simple entitlement issue.  Curious as to why you would not mention this in the OP.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I'd be lying if I sad I have never been jealous of what someone else got in a game. And those who deny it are in the closet about such things and need help.
  • PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    all those things are available to anyone who puts in the time and effort. if you CHOOSE NOT to put in the time, effort or money then noone is to blame but yourself and IMO you dont have the right to be bothered.

In-game effort should reward you with an item. But what if I had just gotten back from a tour in Iraq? I wasn't able to pre-order.

In most cases the items coming from CE/pre-orders/special events ARE obtaineble in game, just not the same models.

Oh noes someone has a different looking mount, vanity pet or different collor crystal.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Hi all!

Does it ever bother you to see someone using an item that you cannot get due to the following:

• Convention Items: In-game items given to people who attended a convention, e.g., Blizzcon, Warhammer Tournament, etc.
    • Cross-Promotion Items: In-game item give to people who purchased other games from the same company, e.g., Purchasing Red Alert III's Collector's Edition will grant your Warhammer Character a rare hat that will turn you into a bear.
    • Founder's Pack Rewards: In-game items for purchasing a variety of Founder Packs (usually $25-$500-$1,000).
    • Pre-Order Rewards: In-game capes, mounts, or items for pre-ordering the game (sometimes different reward per vendor).
    • Collector's Edition Items: In-game item for purchasing a Collector's Edition, e.g., SWTOR's $150.00 CE granting access to a CE store, pets, etc.
    • Contests: In-game items that are won via drawing or screenshot contest etc.
    • 3rd-Party Websites: Joining the developer's facebook page before launch date will give you an in-game item code etc.

Not in the least.  

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    I'd be lying if I sad I have never been jealous of what someone else got in a game. And those who deny it are in the closet about such things and need help.

Believe it or not, there are plenty of people out there who don't care what you or anyone else has. It's not a personal thing, they just don't care and are happy with what they do have.

If people want to get upset about not having things others have, well people have been doing that since Crunch broke Crull's nose and took his cave.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Believe it or not, there are plenty of people out there who don't care what you or anyone else has. It's not a personal thing, they just don't care and are happy with what they do have.

If people want to get upset about not having things others have, well people have been doing that since Crunch broke Crull's nose and took his cave.

Well Crull deserved it..

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    no
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

WHOA!

I think you should take that all powerful microscope and turn it the other way.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Edeus

Well Crull deserved it..

Yea, all uppity about his 2 chamber cave with vented lighting....

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    all those things are available to anyone who puts in the time and effort. if you CHOOSE NOT to put in the time, effort or money then noone is to blame but yourself and IMO you dont have the right to be bothered.

In-game effort should reward you with an item. But what if I had just gotten back from a tour in Iraq? I wasn't able to pre-order.

I'd be more worried about making sure I got my college education funding and benefits from the VA, spending time with friends and family, enjoying the sights and sounds of home. Worrying about whether or not I got a purple unicorn to ride around in a video game is kind of a who cares type moment.

Huh?
  • severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

If you had just come back from Iraq some moronic tchotchkee in game wouldn't mean jack squat to you.

Originally posted by severius

If you had just come back from Iraq some moronic tchotchkee in game wouldn't mean jack squat to you.

For crying out loud. People took this example too literal and completely missed the point.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I've gotten things from CE, DE's, and promotions, to be honest, I have found the stuff pretty (very) useless and it always sits in my bank collecting "dust", or tossed out, so no, not at all.

*pops (useless) flare gun*

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Nope

For crying out loud. People took this example too literal and completely missed the point.

It was a bad example... dont ever use it again. Esp since you apparently only used it as an example...

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    No.

lol first post /thread

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Mind editing your thread title so it is a bit more concise? :) I don't think all the examples need to be in the subject line!
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    No.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

It was a bad example... dont ever use it again. Esp since you apparently only used it as an example...

Again, you missed the point. The point was that some people may not have been able to pre-order, heard about the game, lived too far form a convention, etc.
     We used MMORPG.com to talk about and relate to games.

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Nope, not at all. I suppose it's because I'm not from the "everyone and everything must be equal or else nobody gets it" generation. My daughters are in school right now and that's all they preach to them. Nothing like raising a society of wussies. Can you imagine some of these people grown up whining to thier boss that someone else has coffee and they don't? Yeaaahhh that's not going to work. If there's no incentive to get something that somebody else wants, there's no incentive to improve yourself or society.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

It has at certain times, depending on what exactly the reward was.

For example, new game comes out and if you had bought the normal game you start like everyone else, but if you bought the CE or Pre-order you get to start with a pretty handy mount (whereas normal players would have to grind a fair amount of in-game currency to acquire one). That kind of thing will bother me, at least until I get a mount myself.  If it's anything like a special hat or something, then I really don't care about it, but if it's items that gives a lot of convenience like a mount then it might bother me until I'm able to acquire the equivalent in-game.

If it's a reward only gained by those who attended a certain convention then it 'might' bother me depending on what it is (sometimes early access codes are given and other things like that). Since the only way to acquire them is to not only be able to physically be present at a convention but to also pay all the fees associate with it (Plane, Hotel, tickets, etc), then it can bother me a bit.

Other rewards gained from things like Contest, Cross-Promotions or 3rd PArty Websites don't really bother me.

Again, you missed the point. The point was that some people may not have been able to pre-order, heard about the game, lived too far form a convention, etc.
     We used MMORPG.com to talk about and relate to games.

Nono, the point was you made a horrible example, and people felt the need to correct you.

About you're original point: I'm in the "no" category :P

EDIT: *sees more posts replying to that Iraq post* you are REALLY going to hate using Iraq as an example lol!

Originally posted by Heafstagg
    Nope, not at all. I suppose it's because I'm not from the "everyone and everything must be equal or else nobody gets it" generation. My daughters are in school right now and that's all they preach to them. Nothing like raising a society of wussies. Can you imagine some of these people grown up whining to thier boss that someone else has coffee and they don't? Yeaaahhh that's not going to work.

I honestly feel sorry for the children and the rude awakening they will be in for at some point down the road. They don't even know at this point because it's been completely driven into their heads.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Don't care. It's 1s and 0s
  • bigbudzbigbudz Member Posts: 52

I'd be more worried about making sure I got my college education funding and benefits from the VA, spending time with friends and family, enjoying the sights and sounds of home. Worrying about whether or not I got a purple unicorn to ride around in a video game is kind of a who cares type moment.

Huh?

When I spent my time in Iraq (05-06 Diyala Province), accessing the internet was pretty easy. There were times that I spent at Narwan that I could not access internet but it was very few and far between. Almost every FOB has internet in the MWR so pulling the "I was in Iraq" excuse is not really all that valid. Hell I did a raid (ZG20) in Iraq though it was hard with over 2k ms latentcy. If you wanted to pay for it, the hajis would hook up sat internet for your CHU so you didnt have to deal with the time limit at MWR. We spit a connection between 10 of us. I was in a combat arms battalion also so it's not like I got to stay in fancy Anaconda (Air Force had dances, KFC, and Pizza Hut) where it is almost like a normal place. FOB Warhorse, Baquvah for me-4th ID. 

Current PC Build

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/p8RBD3

Present: Current offerings are low quality or soloable

Past:AoC, DCUO, FFXI,FFXIV 1.0 and ARR,WoW,Fallen Earth, Tabula Rasa, TSW, SWTOR, Rift, Aion, WAR, Darkfall, STO, CoH/CoV, GW2, Diaspora, EQ2, DDO, and a bunch of forgettable ftp games