Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guild Wars 2 worth buying at the moment?

124»

Comments

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

i quit playing months ago because once you have a lvl 80 there is very little else the game has to offer. it is the same basic stuff with different skins in different zones with no real sense of accomplishment and far too little difficulty for my taste. far too much zerg / every man for himself boringness.

that being said I think it is worth the box price. 1-50 is a lot of fun. 61-80 is adequate fun. as someone who loves fantasy, the game art alone is worth the box price :)

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

OP, you asked this question at a bad place. The people who are still here will tell you to buy the game and that it's so good, etc. Except for a few. Find your answer at a less biased source, like youtube videos or livestreams.

The bots are still there. Guild Wars 2 has NO client side checks on movement, so bots and cheaters can just teleport around at will. As such, the bots will teleport from gathering point to gathering point. This also makes it hard to report a bot, because they're only at a gathering point for a few seconds and you if you're not paying attention, you won't be able to right click and report. There are still some bots.

• lionhopperslionhoppers Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I got the game on Saturday and I've been playing it most of the weekend. Really enjoying it so far :)
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

I love MMO's and many of them have pulled this off. I'm sorry people don't understand that you need something to do at the level cap however.

To the OP, Just buy it :D

I have heaps to do at level cap, much more than i had in EQ/L2/WoW/LOTRO/SWTOR/Vanguard....

Originally posted by lionhoppers
    I got the game on Saturday and I've been playing it most of the weekend. Really enjoying it so far :)

Nice, only a select few people didnt get at least box price out of it, many more got a lot lot more out of it, as far as MMOs go, along EvE (but for specific audience) theres really no better MMO even to play for free.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by lionhoppers
    I'm thinking about getting Gw2 but I'm not sure if I should after reading about hackers and problems with bots? Have the issues with hackers and bots been fixed yet or are there still problems? What is the population like? are the servers and low level areas still busy? I'd just like to get some info before buying the game :)

Havnt seen any for quite a while now. Population seems pretty stable, not as many as it was the first month of course but there are still plenty of players and easy to get a dungeon group (unless you are picky and want to run the same dungeon path all the time, then you might have to wait a while).

The low level areas are pretty full, a few less popular mid level areas like Iron marches have a lot less players though but there are well populated zones all levels.

So: yes, just get it but play at a good server (I recommend Seafarers rest for EU, not sure about US).

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Yes it is worth purchasing.

For me it would be for the PvP and WvW that I would recommend it.

PvE wise I find it the solo portion extemely lacking and the dungeons to be rather simplistic for the most part. However, DEs can be a lot of fun. Well, some are anyways.

For PvP though the game is a blast far as I'm concerned.

Can't really go wrong since it is B2P. The game has its flaws and issues but it certainly isn't a bust by any means.

EDIT: Well...that is what I get for responding without reading all the replies. Grats on the purchase and glad you're enjoying it.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• daxtredaxtre Member Posts: 11
    They did have a special on from the 22nd through the 25th $20 off. And although today is the 25th, speaking with their sales department, the last day listed on any of their advertising is never included. Google still has the ad listed as $20 off. Incredibly poor sales and service.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    If you want a good pve game with agonizing crafting and  WvW  that consists of doing the same thing over and over and over for two weeks, 24/7....then doing it all over again   this is just the game for you.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

It's fine until you reach level 80 then you may or may not be hit by DR, permaDR, the T6 loot issues for making gear, the lack pf rewards from meta DE's and map completions and even personal story completion (we're supposed to believe that you aren't meant to get at least an exotic when finishing what was supposed to be the most epic personal story dragon fight over Orr, yeah that) and I'm not even touching on the crappy economy and lack of concern regarding using any of the crafting disciplines for higher tier armorsets like Ascended.

If you wanna spend money on it to level play like my roomie does, there's nothing wrong with that, but expect to run into some serious post launch problems stemming from mismanagement. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by itgrowls

It's fine until you reach level 80 then you may or may not be hit by DR, permaDR, the T6 loot issues for making gear, the lack pf rewards from meta DE's and map completions and even personal story completion (we're supposed to believe that you aren't meant to get at least an exotic when finishing what was supposed to be the most epic personal story dragon fight over Orr, yeah that) and I'm not even touching on the crappy economy and lack of concern regarding using any of the crafting disciplines for higher tier armorsets like Ascended.

If you wanna spend money on it to level play like my roomie does, there's nothing wrong with that, but expect to run into some serious post launch problems stemming from mismanagement. 

Money is best spent somewhere else.

GW2 is a boring, anti-social game.  It's akin to a single player game, but single player games do it better anyways.

Even as a single player game, Guild Wars 2 isn't that good.  The story is leaving one to wonder when the fun begins. from start to finish.  Bad cinematics, and a voice synthesizer to do everything (sounds like it).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

As if one needs to spend money to get exotic and ascend armor...

And still he is here.

Yeah, either the game is really good despite exagerated and mythical problems and he still plays it or he is talking without actually playing, which explain the exagerate and mythical problems.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

As most people in this thread have said, the game is awesome and has an amazing value for 60$. There are little to no bots and hackings these days. The game's population is very high and continues to grow although it is a little top heavy at this point. The patch tommorrow will spread people around though so that will help especially starting out to see people around the mid level zones. 

If you like RPGs or MMOs at all you are pretty much going to get your money's worth. Even if you just level to 80 then do all the dungeons and quit you will still get more value out of this game then even games as long as Skyrim. And then you can quit or come back later every time there are free updates. You really can't go wrong. There is also going to be a  sale on the 27th on Amazon I believe for it. 

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I can't say whether you'll stick around for years, that's always on the person.  There's a hundred games out there experienced MMO players have played for years that I didn't have interest in for long at all, that's just how it is.

As far as getting your moneys worth from an MMO though, I don't think you can really beat Guild Wars 2 considering the lack of subscription.    It's probably the most well put together MMORPG offering in recent years, so to do so and not require a sub makes it a great deal.

Regarding bots, there was a fair amount of them some months back.   They did a pretty big ban wave of them at one point and they became pretty hard to find.   Some do continue to pop up (and disappear) but it's not really on any meaningful scale.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Celcius

As most people in this thread have said, the game is awesome and has an amazing value for 60$. There are little to no bots and hackings these days. The game's population is very high and continues to grow although it is a little top heavy at this point. The patch tommorrow will spread people around though so that will help especially starting out to see people around the mid level zones. 

If you like RPGs or MMOs at all you are pretty much going to get your money's worth. Even if you just level to 80 then do all the dungeons and quit you will still get more value out of this game then even games as long as Skyrim. And then you can quit or come back later every time there are free updates. You really can't go wrong. There is also going to be a  sale on the 27th on Amazon I believe for it. 

I reallly had fun for 3 weeks. I mean it was awesome. It didn't last longer than that though. I didn't even make it to cap. I payed 60+tax for the game. That's about 6 months of subscription to other games. 

In my eyes, no it's not worth it. At the time I was really looking for a game I could play for years to come. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LecianLecian Member Posts: 19
    Well its only 29.99 on Amazon right now with a 10$off code. I got it for thirty bucks on Friday and I think it was worth it.