Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guild Wars 2 worth buying at the moment?

Comments

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Here are some things I liked, and then the eventual reason I turned away:

1. I love the graphical style, it was a very beautifully crafted world they had.
    2. The UI is pretty top notch, it blows a lot of other games out of the water with ease of use in my opinion.
    3. Initially, I was excited about the lack of trinity and the removal of role based combat.
    4. Exploration was fun, and some of the puzzles were moderately challenging and enjoyable.
    5. The combat is fun at first, especially when you get the hang of it.

What I didn't like:

1. Lack of content. This is a big one for me. I spent a lot of time going "OK....what now?"
    2. WvWvW has way too many bugs and instability to be enjoyable at the moment for me personally.
    3. Lack of trinity. Initially this idea excited me, now I see why games use the trinity system.
    4. Lack of progression. I know I know, it isn't a game supposedly based on progression, but without it, the game got stale rather quick for me.

All in all, it's a great game overall, especially if you only have a few hours a week to play. I'd give it an A- or B+ personally, and I would say it's worth the 50-60 dollar purchase. It just didn't have anything to hold me to it after about a month and a half of play.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by loulaki
    well until now it the only MMO of worth 50 dollars...

... many could argue that. I'd happily shell out $50 again for rift, even with the monthly fee while I'd have a hard time really putting $20 for GW2 without a monthly fee. It really depends on what a person like anything else out there. Your value of "$50" is a lot different then someone elses.

I guess everyone has an opinion on a price for a game.

I kind of get a chuckle when folks will go out and buy a console game for $60, finish it in 20 hours, and then put it on the shelf. IMHO GW2 is worth at least double of a PS3/XBox game as far as entertainement value is concerned. /shrug

@OP. Tthe game is worth buying if you are a fan of mmorpgs. No matter what, you will get at least 50 hours of game play out of it even if you hate it.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Here are some things I liked, and then the eventual reason I turned away: I love the graphical style, it was a very beautifully crafted world they had. The UI is pretty top notch, it blows a lot of other games out of the water with ease of use in my opinion. Initially, I was excited about the lack of trinity and the removal of role based combat. Exploration was fun, and some of the puzzles were moderately challenging and enjoyable. The combat is fun at first, especially when you get the hang of it. What I didn't like: Lack of content. This is a big one for me. I spent a lot of time going "OK....what now?" WvWvW has way too many bugs and instability to be enjoyable at the moment for me personally. Lack of trinity. Initially this idea excited me, now I see why games use the trinity system. Lack of progression. I know I know, it isn't a game supposedly based on progression, but without it, the game got stale rather quick for me.All in all, it's a great game overall, especially if you only have a few hours a week to play. I'd give it an A- or B+ personally, and I would say it's worth the 50-60 dollar purchase. It just didn't have anything to hold me to it after about a month and a half of play.

still don't see how people could run out of content..unless they only play a single character and play it like a life replacement... I got over 400 hours and have a ton of content I have yet to experience.. Game has more content than any mmo in recent memory has launched with

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Amjoco

... many could argue that. I'd happily shell out $50 again for rift, even with the monthly fee while I'd have a hard time really putting $20 for GW2 without a monthly fee. It really depends on what a person like anything else out there. Your value of "$50" is a lot different then someone elses.

I kind of get a chuckle when folks will go out and buy a console game for $60, finish it in 20 hours, and then put it on the shelf. IMHO GW2 is worth at least double of a PS3/XBox game as far as entertainement value is concerned. /shrug

@OP. Tthe game is worth buying if you are a fan of mmorpgs. No matter what, you will get at least 50 hours of game play out of it even if you hate it.

Then you must rofl whenever someone pays to go to a music concert. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Then you must rofl whenever someone pays to go to a music concert. 

Never heard of a 20 hour music concert...maybe Woodstock that was before most of our time here. :) 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

1. I love the graphical style, it was a very beautifully crafted world they had.
    2. The UI is pretty top notch, it blows a lot of other games out of the water with ease of use in my opinion.
    3. Initially, I was excited about the lack of trinity and the removal of role based combat.
    4. Exploration was fun, and some of the puzzles were moderately challenging and enjoyable.

What I didn't like:

1. Lack of content. This is a big one for me. I spent a lot of time going "OK....what now?"
    2. WvWvW has way too many bugs and instability to be enjoyable at the moment for me personally.
    3. Lack of trinity. Initially this idea excited me, now I see why games use the trinity system.
    4. Lack of progression. I know I know, it isn't a game supposedly based on progression, but without it, the game got stale rather quick for me.

All in all, it's a great game overall, especially if you only have a few hours a week to play. I'd give it an A- or B+ personally, and I would say it's worth the 50-60 dollar purchase. It just didn't have anything to hold me to it after about a month and a half of play.

still don't see how people could run out of content..unless they only play a single character and play it like a life replacement... I got over 400 hours and have a ton of content I have yet to experience.. Game has more content than any mmo in recent memory has launched with

Because it is open end game.

There is no "gear with dungeons"->"gear with harder dungeons"->"tier1 raid"->"tier 2 raid"

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

What I didn't like:

There is no "gear with dungeons"->"gear with harder dungeons"->"tier1 raid"->"tier 2 raid"

It's not even really about dungeon>raid progression for me as I generally haven't raided much the past few years, it's just about having a goal to work toward for me, and if it isn't dungeons for gear it needs to be something else to hold me. It really is worth the buy as much as I have said I didn't like it in the past, and whether I like it personally or not it's a safe bet for a few years to come at least imo.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

It's not even really about dungeon>raid progression for me as I generally haven't raided much the past few years, it's just about having a goal to work toward for me, and if it isn't dungeons for gear it needs to be something else to hold me. It really is worth the buy as much as I have said I didn't like it in the past, and whether I like it personally or not it's a safe bet for a few years to come at least imo.

So basically youre arguing game didnt hand held you enough and forced you to grind thing A so you could grind thing B just to proceed to grind thing C.

Gotcha.

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

What I didn't like:

there are tons of "goals" to reach for.. getting 80 getting full sets of gear for differn't builds.. get world completion, get legendaries, become commander in WvW, get high ranking in  sPVP, complete personal story, max crafting prof, finish all dungeons, do fractals, do the jumping puzzles,  level multiple classes, help guildmates complete things, make friends... for me just getting really good in a single class takes awhile and to master several builds and gear up for them takes a very long while.. for how short after release game is it  has a TON to do that will take a good long while for most people.. just really depends if you enjoy what it has to offer.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• aromeroaromero Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by PsyMike3d
    hell no! try Tera its better and free

Agreed

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by aromero

Originally posted by PsyMike3d
    hell no! try Tera its better and free

Agreed

I have been waiting in Tera, logging on trying to see if I can get the one mob needed to move on or not. There are people just killing the mob so one can't move on. That is not BETTER THAN GW2 - that is childish. In GW2, there would be someone doing the boss, I could join in, get the boss to the level needed and then I would be done and move on.

In that way, TERA is a broke poor cousin to GW2.

Originally posted by mikahr

So basically youre arguing game didnt hand held you enough and forced you to grind thing A so you could grind thing B just to proceed to grind thing C.

Gotcha.

If that's what you gleaned from my posts, then yes, whatever floats your boat random guy. People like this are why the community is awful I should of mentioned that in my review post. And if anything needs less hand holding, its all/most games, not just GW2.

It has it's strong points and it has it's weak points, and I still say it's worth the money, so what exactly are whining and moaning about again?

If that's what you gleaned from my posts, then yes, whatever floats your boat random guy. People like this are why the community is awful I should of mentioned that in my review post. And if anything needs less hand holding, its all/most games, not just GW2.

It has it's strong points and it has it's weak points, and I still say it's worth the money, so what exactly are whining and moaning about again?

Its not what i got, its what youve written. It seems that open ended games dont really suit you and you prefer more directed experience.

Its not what i got, its what youve written. It seems that open ended games dont really suit you and you prefer more directed experience.

Let's agree to disagree then, I prefer open ended games, but it still needs to have something to do or work towards. Not just well you can do this just because it's something to do. You can't just make an open ended game with no end game content.

I need a reason to do something, and having content just because doesn't do it for me, but it works for others.

Let's agree to disagree then, I prefer open ended games, but it still needs to have something to do or work towards. Not just well you can do this just because it's something to do. You can't just make an open ended game with no end game content. It's kind of a moot point because we are talking about open ended games in a themepark setting, which is probably why I got bored to begin with.

i dunno i played swg for a long while and had no "goal" really at all just played the game and had fun.. i do this with gw2 a lot although I  still have tons of goals im shooting for as well

• RocklynnRocklynn Member UncommonPosts: 104

Someone else cannot really answer this question since it´s a matter of taste. I´ll just say this.

I have played the game since release and i still play/enjoy it :)

www.rocklynn.se

Let's agree to disagree then, I prefer open ended games, but it still needs to have something to do or work towards. Not just well you can do this just because it's something to do. You can't just make an open ended game with no end game content.

I need a reason to do something, and having content just because doesn't do it for me, but it works for others.

i can now see why you dont like any MMO - you want a directed experience that is open ended :)

• lionhopperslionhoppers Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Well my GW2 copy is on its way and I should get it today or tomorrow :) I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which EU Server to join? Which servers are the busiest and good for WvW ect.?  Or are there any servers I should avoid? ;P   

genrally i found that for WvWvW mid tier servers are mos enjoyable to me (so places 10-18 tier 4-5-6) still decent organization but without much drama, still enough people to have queues but not long ones....for PvE it doesnt matter too much, you can guest on any EU server to do PvE there (you can try 2/day)

Anyway, you have rankings of servers on official forums under WvWvW, you may read some threads there, maybe find a guild before you make up your mind.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

i can now see why you dont like any MMO - you want a directed experience that is open ended :)

He just wants a farm or an asteroid for himself.

Dressing dolls is booooooring for this type ofplayer but playing doll house is the shit. :)

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• SNAFUdamusSNAFUdamus Member UncommonPosts: 59

I would say no because it is the most boring ass MMO I have had the displeasure of playing. I totally regret buying it, a total waste of time and money.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

For the next 3 days you can save 30% off GW2 digital and deluxe edition from official website.

https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

$39.99 for standard edition. It's now 30% more worth buying. So if you had any second thoughts this might be your opportunitiy to make a decision.

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

GW2 has some of the most bang for your buck. Of course you should try it....

Asking if one should try a game because i heard they are hackers and bots is a little like asking. "I was thinking about getting a  drivers license and learning how to drive.... but i hear on the news that accidents happen all the time and pplz get hurt. WOT SHOULD I DOOOO?!?!

• QullexQullex Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Qullex

(...)

Gear: Anet never said Exotics would forever be top of the line gear, not sure where itgrowls got that idea. For weapons, Legendary gear tier was above Exotic since game launch.

(...)

According to following thread from the end of September 2012, https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/crafting/Legendary-weapons-stats, legendary weapons were not above exotics power-wise at that point: they were at the exact same power level. Can you disprove that thread?

Fair enough. I withdraw the second sentence of the Gear section of my post as inaccurate and stand by the rest of it. Good catch.

I love MMO's and many of them have pulled this off. I'm sorry people don't understand that you need something to do at the level cap however.

To the OP, Just buy it :D