Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it bother you to see someone with an "exclusive" item via cross-promotion, pre-order, etc?

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Hi all!

Does it ever bother you to see someone using an item that you cannot get due to the following:

• Convention Items: In-game items given to people who attended a convention, e.g., Blizzcon, Warhammer Tournament, etc.
  • Cross-Promotion Items: In-game item give to people who purchased other games from the same company, e.g., Purchasing Red Alert III's Collector's Edition will grant your Warhammer Character a rare hat that will turn you into a bear.
  • Founder's Pack Rewards: In-game items for purchasing a variety of Founder Packs (usually $25-$500-$1,000).
  • Pre-Order Rewards: In-game capes, mounts, or items for pre-ordering the game (sometimes different reward per vendor).
  • Collector's Edition Items: In-game item for purchasing a Collector's Edition, e.g., SWTOR's $150.00 CE granting access to a CE store, pets, etc.
  • Contests: In-game items that are won via drawing or screenshot contest etc.
  • 3rd-Party Websites: Joining the developer's facebook page before launch date will give you an in-game item code etc.

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    No.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• KaiserPhoenixKaiserPhoenix Member Posts: 59

no, usually there is much more prestigious fluff which can be obtained ingame.

people should get over it.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    No.

^couldnt have put it any better then this.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    no and I didnt even read the thread title - it looked like a rant.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    No, if they want to throw away hard earned money, well hard earned for some of us, let them throw it away on fluff.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    No
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Nope.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

I'm sure it sucks for collectors and people really invested in their games.  I generally tend to be bored with whatever poopy MMO offers these bonuses long before they matter enough to add up.  I'm sure companies could make a nice bit of change by offering these convention items seperately at some point down the road from their initial release, though.

My vote is no.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Sijjistoryus

Hi all!

Does it ever bother you to see someone using an item that you cannot get due to the following:

• Convention Items: In-game items given to people who attended a convention, e.g., Blizzcon, Warhammer Tournament, etc.
    • Cross-Promotion Items: In-game item give to people who purchased other games from the same company, e.g., Purchasing Red Alert III's Collector's Edition will grant your Warhammer Character a rare hat that will turn you into a bear.
    • Founder's Pack Rewards: In-game items for purchasing a variety of Founder Packs (usually $25-$500-$1,000).
    • Pre-Order Rewards: In-game capes, mounts, or items for pre-ordering the game (sometimes different reward per vendor).
    • Collector's Edition Items: In-game item for purchasing a Collector's Edition, e.g., SWTOR's $150.00 CE granting access to a CE store, pets, etc.
    • Contests: In-game items that are won via drawing or screenshot contest etc.
    • 3rd-Party Websites: Joining the developer's facebook page before launch date will give you an in-game item code etc.

No

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Not gonna tow the line here.  Yes, I kinda agree and disagree with the OP.  If people want to pay for it that is their thing, but I can understand why people get put off a game because someone else has bought all the pretty aesthetic shit.  To dismiss this as an issue instantly is a little weak, it is an issue for some people. 
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Not at all.  I prefer my character to be unique based on the fact that it's me playing it, not on the trinkets in inventory.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    all those things are available to anyone who puts in the time and effort. if you CHOOSE NOT to put in the time, effort or money then noone is to blame but yourself and IMO you dont have the right to be bothered.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Yes.

My ePeen shrinks every time I see a no longer obtainable goodie. :(

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Perhaps it's just my persona, but I don't like it when I see items that I cannot possibly get. I don't "need" the item or anything, but I feel like there is a part of the game that is missing. I have fun collecting items. I don't know why.

I simply believe that all in-game items should be earned and obtain in the game.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    Nope. They payed for it or earned it.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Nope, not at all. If it's a particularly shiny item that I think is neat it may bring a smile to my face but there's no envy what so ever :)

• EiviEivi Member Posts: 96
    It annoyed me in SWTOR for some reason, made me upgrade to digital deluxe. Saying that, i did quit the game a couple of weeks later, so wasted money all round.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    all those things are available to anyone who puts in the time and effort. if you CHOOSE NOT to put in the time, effort or money then noone is to blame but yourself and IMO you dont have the right to be bothered.

In-game effort should reward you with an item. But what if I had just gotten back from a tour in Iraq? I wasn't able to pre-order.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I believe that these promotions and extras foster envy in people.  Some people will see these items and think, "if only i could get that", or, "if only i had the money".  So, in general, it's not a good thing for a game (or your audience), since it ends up classifying people sub-consciencly into the various classifications, such as:  P2W, elitist, no-lifer, etc..
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

In-game effort should reward you with an item. But what if I had just gotten back from a tour in Iraq? I wasn't able to pre-order.

I'd be more worried about making sure I got my college education funding and benefits from the VA, spending time with friends and family, enjoying the sights and sounds of home. Worrying about whether or not I got a purple unicorn to ride around in a video game is kind of a who cares type moment.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506

You just got back from Iraq and you are worried about pre-ordering? 

Errmm... I ummm.... uhhhh

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

If it's something that anyone can get with real money, then no. If it's received in another way then more than likely, yes.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    No..
    I dont worry about what other people have..

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Edeus

Originally posted by TribeofOne all those things are available to anyone who puts in the time and effort. if you CHOOSE NOT to put in the time, effort or money then noone is to blame but yourself and IMO you dont have the right to be bothered.
    You just got back from Iraq and you are worried about pre-ordering? 

Errmm... I ummm.... uhhhh

So you try and invalidate a member of the armed forces instead of actually commenting on what he said? Even though at the end of the day it's a trivial matter, I do find it annoying as well when there are things I can't get in game. Like the person you are trying to invalidate I truly feel everything should be available through progress in game, not how much money you spend outside of the game or what country you live in.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Not gonna tow the line here.  Yes, I kinda agree and disagree with the OP.  If people want to pay for it that is their thing, but I can understand why people get put off a game because someone else has bought all the pretty aesthetic shit.  To dismiss this as an issue instantly is a little weak, it is an issue for some people. 

Is that the same kind of people who follow what paris hilton and kim kardashian are doing?  IF so, no loss.  There is always going to be someone with something I will never have.  Envy and Jealousy are bad traits to have.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"