Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$200

124»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

Key here is paying that kind of money for something that simply isn't worth that money.

THAT makes people spending it suckers. Not the fact that they are willing to spend it in the first place.

Yeah, it's that simple.

1) How do you know it is not worth it for them?

2) Isn't it a good thing? They are subsidizing your F2P play.

It's all a matter of perception and opinion. What one might deem "not worth it", someone else might feel completely different about it.

And how someone else is paying for the game and thus allowing me to stay free at it has nothing to do with the matter. In fact, it's a downright stupid argument, suggesting it would be okay for a developer to scam people.

That's all I'm saying.

The only opinion that matters is the one of the person paying the money. And if he pays, obviously he thinks it is worth it, otherwise, why would he?

How is that a scam? It is quite clear. Some people pay. Some don't. Those who do subsidize those who does not. Where is the scam?

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    Its just like the real world...if ppl are dumb enough to pay 200 bucks for one pare of jeans cuz of a name on them then so be it...just means they have money to burn. As for me i stick to buying the cheap 2-10$ pair of jeans and get the same outcome...a covers pair of rear end cheeks....

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    seems Marvel Heroes $200 pack is a lot more value than the Neverwinter $200 pack though :)
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Arcona
    seems Marvel Heroes $200 pack is a lot more value than the Neverwinter $200 pack though :)

i looked at both and agree

• Euthanatos12Euthanatos12 Member Posts: 1

NOTHING in life has objective value. Money isn't even real. It's paper. So what if it's backed by gold? Gold has no value either, it's just shiny metal. I love cheeseburgers to death. Is a cheeseburger with $5 or is it worth $10? The answer is: "It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay."

People set the value of their products. There is NO SUCH THING as objective value to anything. People simply pay for perceived value. If their needs/wants outweigh the cost, they buy it. 20 years ago games used to cost as much/more than they do now, then prices went down, then they went back up (and people complained, forgetting that games used to be even pricier, and are now much more well-made). But we still paid/pay the cost (those of us who love games), because that is our hobby and passion. There is nothing wrong with that. Everyone is entitled to have those hobbies and passions.

I spent years on World of Warcraft. I even had two accounts. I can tell you I spent well over $200 paying for the expansions, subs, transfers and using that time to get every class to max level. Now look at games like League of Legends. They're "free to play" but they require a ton of money to take full advantage of unless you have the patience of a saint. Try to pay for every LoL hero and skin upfront. You'd have to be rich, literally. It's great for people who have that patience (or have a lot of money), but it's not for everyone. I have a friend who has been playing it for years, is actually quite good, and doesn't spend cash on it, and he still isn't close to owning all the heroes (nevermind the skins). But that's fine, because he enjoys playing it and doesn't whine about what he can't get or how long it takes. 

Marvel Heroes Founders Packs are really not that bad. It's about what I would expect in this age of microtransactions. I could think of much worse uses for $200. The value, based on what we should expect, is well over their $750 estimate. Look at it this way:

22 launch characters (plus at least 4 more to be added later, so 26): $10 per = $260

100+ advertised costumes (if we don't count the defaults, it's still around that number): $5 per = ~$500

$50 in-game currency: $50

Permanent XP/Item find boost: Unsure of value, but judging by the Basic $20 packs, each 1 hour boost has to add up to like $1 or $1.25 (in theory). This means a permanent boost is probably worth at least $20 or more. So both together would be like $40 minimum.

$45 bonus currency = $0 but it's just icing on the cake

One-week early access + Closed beta access = You decide what this is worth.

Grand Total: $850+ (Probably upwards of $900)

Bottom line, since there is no "objective value" that can be assigned to anything, it's all subjective. You may read this and say "That is so not worth it!" or you may say "Wow, that is actually a good deal." We are all different and all see it a different way. Nobody is forced to buy these packs. However, if you don't buy the Ultimate Pack, you're pretty much just throwing away (even more) money. I'm not saying it's anything to sneeze at, $200 is not chump change to most of us. I know I'm not a wealthy guy, but I do love Marvel and I purchased the Ultimate Pack because I KNOW I will need every hero and outfit and this is the only way to reliably get those things. You can call me a fool or a sucker. That's fine. I have limited time and patience to spend on killing myself over rare drops, and I know I would end up spending way more than $200 if I didn't get the pack. My own satisfaction and contentment > $200 

Perhaps all the negativity here would be better channeled towards something positive or productive.

• AliGeniusAliGenius Member UncommonPosts: 32

My question is how often do the heroes and costumes drop?

How long till they loose players and start giving it all away?

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by AliGenius

Played beta today, and I got a costume after about an hour of starting.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by AliGenius

Does it matter? They seem to have at least a few weeks of fun content.

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84

It seems that somehow there are people that for whatever reason don't understand the revenue model for this game, (I'm not sure how that's even possible). 

It's analogous to League of Legends, where the game is free to play, but players can purchase additional champions and skins in the cash shop. This model has worked very well for LoL, obviously, as it is one of the most played online games on the planet. If you were to start playing League of Legends today, and bought all the champions and skins available individually, you would literally be spending thousands and thousands of dollars. 

From what I understand Marvel Heroes is releasing with 26 heroes, (basically 26 classes, they all have different abilities, play differently, etc.). Gazillion Entertainment apparently has the rights to something like 8,000 characters in the Marvel universe, so they are just going to keep adding more heroes and skins throughout the life of the game. 

They have said that the cash shop heroes and costumes will be available as in game drops too, for what it's worth.  

• witchkillerwitchkiller Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Euthanatos12

NOTHING in life has objective value. Money isn't even real. It's paper. So what if it's backed by gold? Gold has no value either, it's just shiny metal. I love cheeseburgers to death. Is a cheeseburger with $5 or is it worth $10? The answer is: "It's worth whatever someone is willing to pay."

People set the value of their products. There is NO SUCH THING as objective value to anything. People simply pay for perceived value. If their needs/wants outweigh the cost, they buy it. 20 years ago games used to cost as much/more than they do now, then prices went down, then they went back up (and people complained, forgetting that games used to be even pricier, and are now much more well-made). But we still paid/pay the cost (those of us who love games), because that is our hobby and passion. There is nothing wrong with that. Everyone is entitled to have those hobbies and passions.

nice twist on logic.

failure to note that is your opinion not a fact.

scenario:

i own a coal mine. nobody wants to buy my coal.

am i poor? seems like you'd say yes.

maybe you should google "objective value" and see how many people in the world agree with you. personally couldn't care about the rest of this thread but your TLDR shit leaped out at me.

• KathzalhKathzalh Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by witchkiller

nice twist on logic.

failure to note that is your opinion not a fact.

scenario:

am i poor? seems like you'd say yes.

maybe you should google "objective value" and see how many people in the world agree with you. personally couldn't care about the rest of this thread but your TLDR shit leaped out at me.

Seems you missed the point. The argument is based on the very foundation of economics, supply and demand. If you owned all the coal in the world but nothing else and absolutely noone wanted to trade with you for anything at all - then it would be worthless. Well - I guess all that coal could keep you warm for a few days until you died from thirst - so it had abit of value :p

Coal or anything else, is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it . 

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by witchkiller

scenario:

am i poor? 

Probably.