Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Wildstar headed to be one of the biggest mmo flops? Or a success?

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

It seems Wildstar is hanging pretty low under the radar currently and I'm not sure if that's just a lack of hype or a lack of interest from the player base.  It seems to have a few unique features but it also seems to have quite a few things that are either considered dated or may not be received too well in this age of mmo gamers such as 40 man raids and end game focus on  raiding, trinity game play, typical questing even touted as what some may consider even more generic than normal with the "140 characters or less" quest text, cartoony graphics, etc. 

This is also going to be competing with games like Elder Scrolls Online, Arch Age, and likely Everquest Next by the time it's released.  So what are your opinions?  Wildstar headed for a surprise hit or a sure flop?

Comments

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

From my experience

A mmo can go either way, but if people say its shit before launch, it will be shit on launch

If thats not the case with Wildstar, then It is an enigma

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Put me in the small consistent player base crowd. I don't see a game like this breaking any records.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Can we just wait and see? 
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Hard to say IMO... I see a lot of elements (it not all) that we've seen in every major title the last 5 years, and none of those MMOs made it to be long-lasting. On the other hand, the amount of humor used might be the lift this game needs to get a steady playerbase that'll make it work (for NCSoft, and we know how fund they are of funds...)

Personally, I'm not sure if I'm gonna play it. As said, a lot of re-runs of elements of things I don't like too much. But I do like the humor used as well as the graphics style... Might give it a shot (if it's F2P)

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    The humor, graphics, and limited promises make Wildstar an interesting game to watch. I am going to say a limited success with a niche audience. 
  • Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233

Having been privledged to have a little look at both the game, as well as unannounced/discussed features at Arkship this last weekend... WildStar has the potential to be a genre changer so long as they deliver on those new features.

Alas, I'm under NDA for them so can't share what those features are beyond what I wrote over here (in the panel section).

I am very optimistic for the future of the game.

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Margulis

It seems Wildstar is hanging pretty low under the radar currently and I'm not sure if that's just a lack of hype or a lack of interest from the player base.  It seems to have a few unique features but it also seems to have quite a few things that are either considered dated or may not be received too well in this age of mmo gamers such as 40 man raids and end game focus on  raiding, trinity game play, typical questing even touted as what some may consider even more generic than normal with the "140 characters or less" quest text, cartoony graphics, etc. 

This is also going to be competing with games like Elder Scrolls Online, Arch Age, and likely Everquest Next by the time it's released.  So what are your opinions?  Wildstar headed for a surprise hit or a sure flop?

haha I love it well done!  I think it will be another middling mmo, nothing special and nothing shit.  

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Its a toss up, its like asking if 7 of 9 is gay ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

I think it could be a huge success as long as they deliver really well on everything. I also think that business model matter as well, GW2 is a massive success largely in part to it being B2P...It's a great game of course so there definitely is that, but it's a hugely accessible business model and I hope Carbine / WildStar will follow suit in that direction.

The gameplay looks fun, and I like how it seems that there's lot's of variety and it looks to be more "alive" than most MMO's...I can see the humor being an enormously positive thing for them, or a big part of what niches them but personally I think that it will help them stand out and draw people in. Almost every MMO that has come out in the last several years has been relatively serious and I think that is becoming a bit of a downer for a lot of people.

There hasn't been much of a "hype train" by Carbine & NCsoft with this title, though. They have slowly let it evolve and grab interest with people instead of unleashing hell and trying to grab everyones attention, everywhere. I believe this has been done on purpose, and more MMO developers should take this route rather than completely over-hyping their game. But that's why you're seeing it lower on the 'radar' than other games have been. I'm sure if they wanted to they could release new gameplay videos and trailers every week and new cinematic dev diaries to talk it up like crazy and it would probably be all over the place in that instance.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I expect a big win from it, but it's very early to call.

On the other hand, devs are proven to have a remarkable ability to take a good plan and screw it up.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

I'm not going to get my hopes up, so i'll enjoy it a lot more when it comes out :) 

It will definitely get enough people to make a worthy community, I don't care for millions+ 

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Kinda see it doing somewhat like Rift and SWTOR, as it will have its own audience but dont expect any records/big numbers.
  • RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    I see this game as over 2 million at launch. when word gets out about how awesome it is then the game will see increasingly larger numbers.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Will depend on pay model.

If its P2P, odds are against it selling well and retaining players, the market is too small and far too many are already locked into their P2P games to make a big dent.

If its B2P, It will sell well (at least 1 million), may even take some people from their P2P games to try it out since no monthly payment.

If its F2P, should top 2 million players in its first year and grow beyond that if the game is decent, high chance of having a higher revenue with this model than any other if it has a good non-P2W cash shop.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Wildstar should do as well as RIFT if it goes the sub model

RIFT sold 1 million after 3 months

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35044/Interview_Trions_Debut_Rift_Closes_In_On_1M_SellThrough.php#.USoqdleeAw0

if Wildstar chooses a different payment model should be even higher at launch

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

2 Factions will for me make it a disaster, but i am very narrow minded about a 2 faction game now, been burned by them too many times. 

For a new MMO to get my attention it will need to be sandbox or a themepark with 3 factions. Wildstar has lots of good ideas, but most are taken from other games, and some are very nearsighted when it comes to longevity of the game. Rift realized the limitations of 2 factions, i think a bit too late though.

As always i wish the best for any new game, i just will not be contributing to this game, will be a first but i am putting my foot down now after all the crap that spewed forth in 2011/2012. I used to buy every new MMO that was released, i loved the exploring of new worlds/galaxies, but it was just too many letdowns over and over.

Lolipops !

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It does seem interesting, but even still it's not a game I'm really looking forward to.  The housing trailer was humorous, which alone brought this game up from just another kids MMO to something perhaps more intriguing, with a potential for older, yet clean, humor?

I'm not crazy about the hand holding combat system though.  Showing where upcoming attacks will be for every single mob is a little over the top IMO.  Some games have this via mods, but I can't say that looking at the floor for new red shapes to appear is as exciting as actually watching the fight happen, or learning a creatures offensive/defensive mechanics.  PC / NPC animations should tell the whole story about what is going to happen, not circles / cones on the ground.

I'd rather know a dragon was about to breathe fire because he starting to swing his head back and forth.  Not because a red triangle appears on the ground in front of him, showing where not to stand.  Well you get the idea.

If there is a demo, I'll try the game out.  But so far it still seems like a risky expenditure.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

It seems Wildstar is hanging pretty low under the radar currently and I'm not sure if that's just a lack of hype or a lack of interest from the player base. 

The problem is, this is entirely based on your own level of hype and your personal perception of the game and where it currently stands.  It is different for everyone, again, related to their own personal level of interest for a given game.

Personally I don't see a need for these fortune teller polls that all of us armchair game developers can chime in on.

As someone already stated, can't we just wait and see?

My 2c, which is worth even less.   o7

Originally posted by Acidon

It seems Wildstar is hanging pretty low under the radar currently and I'm not sure if that's just a lack of hype or a lack of interest from the player base. 

The problem is, this is entirely based on your own level of hype and your personal perception of the game and where it currently stands.  It is different for everyone, again, related to their own personal level of interest for a given game.

Personally I don't see a need for these fortune teller polls that all of us armchair game developers can chime in on.

As someone already stated, can't we just wait and see?

My 2c, which is worth even less.   o7

Since when market analysis requires you to be MMO dev?

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Another thread like this?

OMG come on ... stop it already.

Nothing will change based on these topics or your consers, developers dont care, they are not comming here to read thiese brainfarted threads. So make yourself a favor, just wait and see when the game releases. Speculations are worthless.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

The problem is that flop or success is so subjective in the post WoW-era.  It's way too early to tell at this point.  We don't even know all the playable races or classes yet at this point.  Not to mention the huge load of other information we really don't know about this game.  And all the great features in the world don't mean squat if it's poorly executed and the game isn't fun.

The problem with this genre is that since MMOs require a fair amount of dedication and investment there is really only room for one behemoth MMO at a time. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

Another thread like this?

OMG come on ... stop it already.

Nothing will change based on these topics or your consers, developers dont care, they are not comming here to read thiese brainfarted threads. So make yourself a favor, just wait and see when the game releases. Speculations are worthless.

Actually, they are. Though not the core crew, but PR people from their company do lurk here and give feedback on what's discussed here. Also there are a number of indy devs here that actually participate in the discussions with their players. And last time there was a GM here giving support for MO on these forums (didn't last long though *LOL*)

Originally posted by achesoma

The problem is that flop or success is so subjective in the post WoW-era.  It's way too early to tell at this point.  We don't even know all the playable races or classes yet at this point.  Not to mention the huge load of other information we really don't know about this game.  And all the great features in the world don't mean squat if it's poorly executed and the game isn't fun.

The problem with this genre is that since MMOs require a fair amount of dedication and investment there is really only room for one behemoth MMO at a time. 

Theres nothing subjective about success.

If you set out, for example, to earn 100m$ in 1 year, its clear what is and what isnt success :)

Its completely different matter that some people push their subjective fellings about the game as a whole as "success" or "failure", but that part doesnt really matter.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by mikahr
    Originally posted by achesoma

Theres nothing subjective about success.

If you set out, for example, to earn 100m$ in 1 year, its clear what is and what isnt success :)

So if they make $99m in 1 year then it's a failure? 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Wildstar will be FAR FAR from the mmo genres greatest flops.  It doesn't have the hype or budget as some of the big flops like Swtor did.  It might fail of course but if it does it would hardly be in the category of biggest flops.

Biggest flops would be something like: AoC, WAR, STO, SWTOR, games like those.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.