Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a representative experience in MMOs

Comments

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by zomard100
    WOW girls WOW. World of warcraft is  best mmorpg ever made and you will enjoy it for many years. You have so much to there, rest is just a shadow compared with this magic world. 10 million players around the world create largest gaming comunity, do not be fooled with new games and awesome graphics.

^^^^^^^^ Is this even a real answer? I wouldn't take advice from fanboys although it does concur with the advice I have given.  Definitely make your choice based on non biasism instead of garbage like this. No offense friend.

• SansSarifSansSarif Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by Spiersberg

- It has to be a representative experience, so it can´t be a niche title, too childish or too anything. Something giving a nice global view of what a MMO (community) is about.

This is going to be a major problem.

There is no ONE game that can give you a clear overview of the gaming community as a whole, it would be like trying to pick one group of people on the planet to use as a example of the entire human race.

You have farmers, griefers, grinders, hardcore, softcore, RP, FPS, TPS, Strategy, "Stay-at-home" Facebook gamers, PVP, PVE, Story driven players, Content Locust, Action, Mecha, Horror...

This could go on for months... as each genre has sub-genres, and those have sub sections so forth and so on.

For a traditional MMORPG experience: World of Warcraft

For a FPS: Pick a 'Halo' game

For a look at a new trend in MMOs: TERA

For PVP-FPS: Planetside 2

For Action-ish PVP Strategy: League of Legends

and that is to name a few...

Remember the groups you will find also drastically differ from your choice of console.

XBLA and PSN in my experience tend to have a younger audience that are... well.. Immature to put it nicely.

PC gamers tend to be older, and yet, oddly behave like their console counter parts.

Of course, within any "stereotype" are people who simply don't fit it.

Good luck with your experiment!

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Epicent

Edit: "Help two cute girls finding their first MMO."<---------- Irrelevant title and borderline offensive. We aren't all ugly trolls who have never been with a woman and won't cater too your needs specifically because you are female.......at least I won't.

thank you for posting that...was holding in a bit more than just that :P...they want to do a social experiment but the first thing they do is profile MMO gamers....classic....they are lucky I love MMO's and always want to offer my opinion...nobody else is though :P

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Rift - takes the best things from WoW LotRO WAR and smooshes them altogether in one pretty package.

haha Aeon, I hate to disagree with you because I generally think you speak sense, but no.  

Oh make no mistake, it's definitely a first MMO or casual MMO type game. I wouldn't recommend it to people who have been playing them a while. It does what it does and I'm loathe to recommend WoW anymore.

Good to know someone thinks I make sense sometimes! haha.

The simplest of compliments can turn someones head.  I wasn't messing though.  

• SpiersbergSpiersberg Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by DashiDMV

Well the poster is a guy and mentioned the girl in the middle was his teacher so maybe he tried a title that people would click on for whatever reason to increase his grade or score points or whatever. Who knows.

Hey, I just thought it would be a catchy title and it's real. I didn't even know I could earn points or anything. I changed it so nobody complains :)

Wow! That's a lot of responses. I'll have to research all this. Thanks a lot!

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Guild wars 2 would be perfect, or swtor, F2P.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by LIOKI

Being an avid forum reader for years and not knowing which MMO's that are FTP to try is quite contrary.

Thanks for the responses so far!

I'm interested mostly in abstract discussions, like solo vs group, economy, sandbox vs themepark, stagnation of the genre, etc. I've played just around ten MMOs myself and I know I can find here people who knows far better than me.

It isn't needed for the game to be F2P, but it's a plus. They will even pay a subscription it's really a better representative experience.

You will find a lot of people who think they know a hell of a lot more, they probably don't.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Guild wars 2 would be perfect, swtor.

bc....are you feeling okay today?

Please don't recommend those games to anyone...I wouldnt recommend them to my worst enemy

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

In this order:

LOTRO

DDO

Rift

Champions Online

That's a nice cross section of mainstream MMOs that fit the description.

+1

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by DashiDMV

Well the poster is a guy and mentioned the girl in the middle was his teacher so maybe he tried a title that people would click on for whatever reason to increase his grade or score points or whatever. Who knows.

Hey, I just thought it would be a catchy title and it's real. I didn't even know I could earn points or anything. I changed it so nobody complains :)

Wow! That's a lot of responses. I'll have to research all this. Thanks a lot!

Research? write them on a piece of paper, blindfold yourself and throw a dart,done. You'll make yourself insane researching these games the opinions vary so much. If you pick one just ask for some advice to get started, much easier than asking what game to start playing.

• vindirvindir Member UncommonPosts: 68

So, their next challenge is the MMO world. They need your experience in order to choose the right target.

- It has to be a game. It can't be something like Second Life.

- PVP has to be optional because they don't have any kind of experience or skill in videogames. It can´t be too hardcore neither.

- It has to be a representative experience, so it can´t be a niche title, too childish or too anything. Something giving a nice global view of what a MMO (community) is about.

- Big, lively and active community. 

- Human driven events by GMs and/or players. Stuff like weddings are a big plus.

- F2P with full access to chat, but they would pay if it's worth.

Well, that's it. I can't wait to read your answers. Thanks in advance!

First consideration: f2p. I am assuming you are not looking for pay to play so that would rule out  games like GW2. Rift and WoW are free only to lvl 20 and then you need to pay. So those are out. Aion and Tera are free. Aion though the pvp is not really optional. Tera the pvp is optional, but the community at this time is horrible. The chat is filled with over exploitation of sexuality (pedophillia) and racisim. SWTRO is free but restictive with content unless you sub monthly. Plus the population in SWTOR is not as healthy as it once was. Neverwinter is going to be free and you can grind for content. But that is not released yet, and we are not entirly sure how much free is free in that game.

All in all as others have said,in my exeperince LOTRO is what you are looking for. It is free, and you can work in game towards content  and expansions without haveing to pay at all; or you have the option to purchase cotnent. PVP is limited to the moors, so in that way it is optional. There are lots of human driven events, but depending on the server you are on and possibly the guild/Kin you are with. It is a fairly healthy community populations wise for an older game, mostly full of mature players.

Hope that helps.

edit: DDO is also another great choice. Made by the same compay as LOTRO with the same content philosophy of working towards content ingame instead having to buy it all. Have nto played DDO for a couple years, but at that tiem the community was helpful and communative.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    WOW girls WOW. World of warcraft is  best mmorpg ever made and you will enjoy it for many years. You have so much to there, rest is just a shadow compared with this magic world. 10 million players around the world create largest gaming comunity, do not be fooled with new games and awesome graphics.

^^^^^^^^ Is this even a real answer? I wouldn't take advice from fanboys although it does concur with the advice I have given.  Definitely make your choice based on non biasism instead of garbage like this. No offense friend.

No problem, people like you can never offend me. I don't take you seriously. I just gave my opinion what is best game on the market and if you have problem with that i do not care

• SpiersbergSpiersberg Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Originally posted by LIOKI
    Research? write them on a piece of paper, blindfold yourself and throw a dart,done. 

Yeah, I know it'll be hard, but I can endure this :)

Thanks again. I'm amazed!

No problem, people like you can never offend me. I don't take you seriously. I just gave my opinion what is best game on the market and if you have problem with that i do not care

But you do or you would have ignored it.  Nevermind though, idiots all over the internet. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Guild wars 2 would be perfect, swtor.

bc....are you feeling okay today?

Please don't recommend those games to anyone...I wouldnt recommend them to my worst enemy

You knooow I want to say TSW or Age of Wushu, in hopes of raising a new crop of gamers who value depth and time investment, but I'd rather have them there in one of those two noobing it up first. lmao

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

World of Warcraft has become casual and caters to the widest demographic. I personally dislike the game but you asked for something easy with a wide demographic which would make it the most feesable choice.

Edit: "Help two cute girls finding their first MMO."<---------- Irrelevant title and borderline offensive. We aren't all ugly trolls who have never been with a woman and won't cater too your needs specifically because you are female.......at least I won't.

Ah now i understand everything lol. You hate girls, probably it would please you to see picture with 2 hairy guys

But you do or you would have ignored it.  Nevermind though, idiots all over the internet. 

Yes i can see. I know it is hard for you to understand that you did now same thing as me before

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

World of Warcraft has become casual and caters to the widest demographic. I personally dislike the game but you asked for something easy with a wide demographic which would make it the most feesable choice.

Ah now i understand everything lol. You hate girls, probably it would please you to see picture with 2 hairy guys

WeeeWooooWeeeWoooo, this is the hyperbole police, we want our job back. Let's just exaggerate everything!

LOTRO is another strong choice and since it's completely (ish) F2P it's probably the best fit

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

WeeeWooooWeeeWoooo, this is the hyperbole police, we want our job back. Let's just exaggerate everything!

LOTRO is another strong choice and since it's completely (ish) F2P it's probably the best fit

Zom made a mentallist remark.  And I still pronouce it hyper bowl, but I get its meaning.  LOTR looks so ugly, arrgh, I looked like I had crapped my pants I was running so stupid. 

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

Zom made a mentallist remark.  And I still pronouce it hyper bowl, but I get its meaning.  LOTR looks so ugly, arrgh, I looked like I had crapped my pants I was running so stupid. 

Oh I thought my character just had a corn cob jammed somewhere it shouldn't be. I bet crap in the pants would have the same effect.

I just don't see how Zomard can jump from 'the title is misleading and possibly offensive' to 'you must like men'. Let's keep this on topic the person was nice enough for whatever reason to trust our biased judgements :D

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

LOTRO would also be another good choice though I don't like how you have to pay to access some of the classes and some of the zones.

The Secret World is also an excellent game but it is not at all representative. But if you like X-files/Stephen King type stuff then it is a really good choice. Great questing and character development. You have to buy it but it is free to continue to play.

Also, it is worth noting that this forum is a very bad place to get good information. Everyone has an axe to grind.

All die, so die well.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

The usual suspects are probably their best bet. 

World of Warcraft

Rift

Lord of the Rings Online

Guild Wars 2

WoW has a very well established community where everyone considers themselves veterans, which can make it difficult for newcomers to be integrated into the social scene.  Rift and LOTR, on the other hand, may tend to be more welcoming.  And Rift is coming off of a fresh expansion, sure to be filled with some other new players.  GW2 is the newest of them all and seems to have nothing but positive social interactions from my experience. 

Oh I thought my character just had a corn cob jammed somewhere it shouldn't be. I bet crap in the pants would have the same effect.

I just don't see how Zomard can jump from 'the title is misleading and possibly offensive' to 'you must like men'. Let's keep this on topic the person was nice enough for whatever reason to trust our biased judgements :D

Well I must admit, and my parents will hate this, 'but I like women'.  That is it, I have said it now, sorry liberal parents, I know you wanted me to be gay but I like woman.  Onto other matters haha to your irritation is utterly undersatandable but amusing.  

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

For the most mainstream experience, if planning on staying with it a while, I'd have to say WoW or Rift.  If F2P is a priority, then LOTRO.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

In this order:

LOTRO

DDO

Rift

Champions Online

I'd second this list as well.  Too bad CoH isn't still around -- it'd be perfect.