Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if I buy Final Fantasy XIV (original version) box now?

WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

Hello guys,

I am really but really looking forward to Final Fantasy XIV: ARR. It looks amazing and I have big hopes in it :)

I didnt buy original Final Fantasy XIV due to so many bad reviews and all.. But what I read and see now about ARR is nice !!!

So what my question is... If I buy FF XIV: ARR(original vesion) box at some retail store today, is it worth it? I make an account and will it be updated to ARR once it lauch right? Will It give me also acess to the ARR beta? I mean ... what exactly I get for it :)

... and will I be able to play the FF XIV original version now, just to try it out, or are servers currently offline due to this remake?

Thank you for information !! And sorry If i missed these informations somewhere

Laters :)

Comments

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Dogblaster

Hello guys,

I am really but really looking forward to Final Fantasy XIV: ARR. It looks amazing and I have big hopes in it :)

I didnt buy original Final Fantasy XIV due to so many bad reviews and all.. But what I read and see now about ARR is nice !!!

So what my question is... If I buy FF XIV: ARR(original vesion) box at some retail store today, is it worth it? I make an account and will it be updated to ARR once it lauch right? Will It give me also acess to the ARR beta? I mean ... what exactly I get for it :)

Thank you for information !! And sorry If i missed these informations somewhere

Laters :)

Correct me if I am wrong but there is a subscription that confers similar advantages? 

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    But I need to buy the box to be able to make subscription dont I?
  • MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    I need to buy the box to make subscription dont I?

I heard, but cannot find anything to back this up in a quick (rather uninterested) google search to back me up, that you can still subscribe and obtain most benefits.  Can anyone elucidate? 

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I'm not sure if they've changed how it works, but at launch when you bought a box and logged in, it wanted a credit card for your monthly subscription.  You weren't billed anything until your free month was up, but that's how it worked back then.
  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    You cannot make new accounts right now, thus you'd be wasting your money.  The original FFXIV boxes are null and void!   Just wait for the ARR version to be released and go from there.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Khrymson
    You cannot make new accounts right now, thus you'd be wasting your money.  The original FFXIV boxes are null and void!   Just wait for the ARR version to be released and go from there.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39250/

This is "no good" then?

Can someone confirm this?

Originally posted by MMOGamer71

This is "no good" then?

Thats FFXI, not FFXIV.  You can still make new accounts for that game, as its still a live MMO, unlike XIV thats shutdown.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

This is "no good" then?

That's Final Fantasy 11 not 14

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

Can we please get to my questions about FF XIV original box ? :)

I answered it, don't purchase the 1.0 ver of FFXIV.  They were recalled last fall and rendered void.  You cannot make new FFXIV accounts until ARR launches.

I answered it, don't purchase the 1.0 ver of FFXIV.  They were recalled last fall and rendered void.  You cannot make new FFXIV accounts until ARR launches.

So i dont understand why some of the best retailers in my country still sell the original version ... hm

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

This is "no good" then?

Thats FFXI, not FFXIV.  You can still make new accounts for that game, as its still a live MMO, unlike XIV thats shutdown.

Originally posted by Smoey

This is "no good" then?

Hummm

I was expecting "patches" to progress it from 11 to 12 etc.  Didn't realize it is two different MMO's.  Whats the difference?

This is "no good" then?

Originally posted by Smoey

This is "no good" then?

Hummm

I was expecting "patches" to progress it from 11 to 12 etc.  Didn't realize it is two different MMO's.  Whats the difference?

lol :)  whats the difference between GTA 1-2-3-5 .. guild wars 1-2 etc... totally different games

same goes for final fantasy. Every each of them is different game

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

well lets see... the diffrence between ffxi and ffxiv is

- ffxi came out in 2003

- ffxiv is coming out this summer

They prolly will share some simularities, but they are 2 totally diffrent mmo's

• NyrrhoNyrrho Member Posts: 53
    For all intents and purposes, it's easier to just consider FFXIV:ARR a completely seperate game from anything else. Unless you were subscribed to FFXIV 1.0 when it closed down (Legacy status), then you will have to purchase/download the game when it releases, like everyone else.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

From reading the FAQs on the official site they said the new accounts could not be created until ARR is released, then it seems that you can create an account with an old version or a new ARR version (if one is released for PC). It does not seem to be totally null and void, just can not create an account right now

First-time Users who wish to play FINAL FANTASY XIV

New users who have registered a new account by September 29, 2012, 23:59 (GMT)

As long as your 30 day free trial end date is after September 30, 2012, you will be able play the game for free until operation of the current version of FINAL FANTASY XIV terminates.

New users who wish to register a new account after September 30, 2012, 0:00 (GMT)
    Registration services will have ended and you will not be able to register a new account to play the current version of FINAL FANTASY XIV. You will have to wait until FFXIV: ARR is launched.

I bought the original version just before the original version shut down but did not get around to using it, as was deliberating whether to use it or wait for ARR. If I have to buy another one, then I will give this a complete miss then.

There are no new ARR ones up for preorder. Amazon are selling the original ones still here and here plus a few others. It should be like using the original SWG discs at launch, instead of Complete Online Adventures. Using the original discs meant the game needed more updating, and took longer but they still worked.

• CodeFuzerCodeFuzer Member UncommonPosts: 105
    As far as i know you will be able to used old FFXIV code to register an account. Registrations should be available in last beta phase. 
  • AllizarAllizar Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by superniceguy
     It should be like using the original SWG discs at launch, instead of Complete Online Adventures. Using the original discs meant the game needed more updating, and took longer but they still worked.

If it was an updated game with the core systems still intact, yes, but it's not. This is like trying to update diablo 3 with your Diablo 2 disk.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Allizar
     It should be like using the original SWG discs at launch, instead of Complete Online Adventures. Using the original discs meant the game needed more updating, and took longer but they still worked.

If it was an updated game with the core systems still intact, yes, but it's not. This is like trying to update diablo 3 with your Diablo 2 disk.

Actually the COA included the NGE, which means it did not have the core systems intact. The original disks still worked just took an extremely long time to update, whereas using the COA disk was very short to update. This is still FF XIV not FFXV or whatever.

Plus the main thing is the FAQ states that if you do not register the game by Sep 30th then you just have to wait, it does not say the originals are completely useless. They may not even release another version, and just use the originals still, as can not see a new ARR one for preorder anywhere.

• NadriellNadriell Member UncommonPosts: 197

Its impossible to register a old copy of the game now, sometime in aug or sept. SE sent a messge out to all retailers asking them to destory FFXIV copies and they would be re-imburst the money..  

Sadly if you did not buy it then, prepare to spend 60 dollar..   FURHTER more.. Square Enix no longer accepts old FFXIV codes.. only ARR..

Sorry guy, you missed the ship

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Allizar

Actually the COA included the NGE, which means it did not have the core systems intact. The original disks still worked just took an extremely long time to update, whereas using the COA disk was very short to update. This is still FF XIV not FFXV or whatever.

Plus the main thing is the FAQ states that if you do not register the game by Sep 30th then you just have to wait, it does not say the originals are completely useless. They may not even release another version, and just use the originals still, as can not see a new ARR one for preorder anywhere.

No it is a completely different game, it is not even using the same engine.  They have said explicitly they will be distributing the new software.  For people who own 1.0 this will likely be digital only (because of the cost involved in sending out DVD's).

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Why is everyone who claims the old FF14 codes are useless not providing any links for any kind of proof.

They should have recalled the games long before they stopped registrations if that's the case. There are a lot of people who purchased the game and can't play it right now. So to make all of these purchased and unused codes null and void is a horrible move (if it's even true). Until someone has actually proof of where its written, I'm guessing the old codes wont be useless when the game comes out. If they are, hopefully square will have some way of letting those who have these unused codes get a copy of the new game. Paying for the game twice isn't something people would be willing to do. Yeah, some consider it two different games, but the fact is, it's the same game, just remade and relaunched.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by jinxxed0

Why is everyone who claims the old FF14 codes are useless not providing any links for any kind of proof.

They should have recalled the games long before they stopped registrations if that's the case. There are a lot of people who purchased the game and can't play it right now. So to make all of these purchased and unused codes null and void is a horrible move (if it's even true). Until someone has actually proof of where its written, I'm guessing the old codes wont be useless when the game comes out. If they are, hopefully square will have some way of letting those who have these unused codes get a copy of the new game. Paying for the game twice isn't something people would be willing to do. Yeah, some consider it two different games, but the fact is, it's the same game, just remade and relaunched.

They did pull it from the shelves for one, but this does not stop retailers from selling it.  I'm sure you can find copies of the Matrix Online available some places even though it too has been shut down.

The codes aren't bad, and everyone who bought it and created an account (which you have to do to play) will not need to purchase it again.  I don't think they have given official word on if you will be able to register unused codes or not though, either way it is a bad idea in my opinion to go buy a copy of a game you know has been shut down.

I'm sure you can find them cheap places, and I'm sure ARR will be at or near full price, but I still think it is a potential waste of money and if they don't honor the code you have no one but yourself and the retailer you bought it from to blame.

It is not Square Enix's fault.

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

Pretty sure I remember reading a community rep post on the Lodestone forums that any unregistered keys will be honored.

Edit:  http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/59959-1.0-Buddy-pass-works-for-ARR?p=953351&viewfull=1#post953351

That's specifically for buddy codes, so if those work I'm thinking the main install code will work as well.