Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What does F2P even mean anymore?

2»

Comments

• OnomasOnomas Rock Hill, SCPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon

F2P = Subscription Free Option.

Not FREE to play, no such thing as free. People live in a delusional world if thats what they think it means. Highly doubt a company will give their services away FREE wit no profits lol.

And i prefer subscription games over F2P, havent really seen any good F2P games to be honest. To me sub games going F2P is nothing more than a crutch to help prolong the game. Because if the game sucked while it was subscription based, making it free to play doesnt make it better in any way. Just adds more people and they hope some of those people will buy good from the cash shop.

I do play B2P games like TSW and GW2, but stay far away from the F2P garbage. And i dont mind paying 30 cents a day for a sub for 24/7 unlimited access to a game i like. All these "F2P" games seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper with less content.......... just a drain on the industry is all.

People would rather see all that eye candy and fluff story and not the actual game mechanics and features. Fluff and eye cansy only get you so far until your game is dead. Majority of gamers seem to have lost their creative side and resort to crap games with short single player console stories and often quit within a month or two. Not my idea of good mmorpgs and the industry has taken a wrong turn.

• azmundaiazmundai St Louis, MOPosts: 1,417Member

It's a marketing term. Marketing terms rarely actually mean anything but rather pretend to mean something while really meaning as many other things as possible.

Marketing is the evil step child of practicing law.

Bend the truth until you get caught and then bend it some more.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• VrikaVrika FinlandPosts: 2,583Member Uncommon

F2P = Payments required as decided by developers. Info about payment requirements is not given in advance and requirements are subject to change at any time without prior warning.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 1,314Member
    No such thing as F2P. You think youre playing for free, then you are wrong. Someone had to pay for it, youre just playing on their dime. As I've said many times before, the worst thing you can possibly do in an F2P game, is play for free.
  • MightyChasmMightyChasm londonPosts: 298Member
    Originally posted by Vrika

F2P = Payments required as decided by developers. Info about payment requirements is not given in advance and requirements are subject to change at any time without prior warning.

That is what it does mean.  But should it mean that? 

• EdeusEdeus Stamford, CTPosts: 506Member
    Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Originally posted by Vrika

They should spell out that... but as someone said earlier: marketting department are a bunch of tricky bastards.

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• azmundaiazmundai St Louis, MOPosts: 1,417Member

Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Originally posted by Vrika F2P = Payments required as decided by developers. Info about payment requirements is not given in advance and requirements are subject to change at any time without prior warning.

What it should mean is really pretty irrelevant. The term shouldn't exist at all unless the game was made by a billionaire who just wanted to make a free game. There are really only a few acceptable terms. Sub Games, and Cash Shop Games, and Buy to Play games.

Buy to play games like GW2, where you can't actually buy anything of importance .. though imo GW2 skirts that line a little too closely.

"Going Free to Play" doesn't mean going free to play and it never will. It means changing from a sub based payment system to a shop based payment system.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

2»