Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You'r view on Ascended items?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Using the formula given at http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Damage, power is directly proportional to both basic direct damage and "direct damage as listed in skill's tooltip". 

This means that 1993/1982  => 0.555% damage increase (Condition damage is not taken into account)

However, precision increases crit rate. Both increased crit rate and increased crit damage modifier increase the dps, which means that the dps is higher than the 0.555% given by the power increase.

Even if we completely ignore the effect of crit damage and crit rate increase,  given 10 equips that have the same change in stats between ascended and exotic, we get the equivalent of 5.55% dps increase.

Hold the phone. Where's the numbers, and how are you converting damage into DPS? Here's the formula for damage:

Damage done = (weapon damage) * Power * (skill-specific coefficient) / (target's Armor)

You can't just claim that 1993/1982 means a .555% damage increase without showing your math on this. Even after the numbers are provided, how are you converting damage into damage per second? Different skills have different cast times. There's no rotation, no "optimal" utilization of skills for a pure dps output. Movement, dodging, utilities, blocks, mitigations... these all affect things. DAMAGE here simply means for one single otherwise unmitigated (excepting armor, which is defense + toughness) attack. It's impossible to turn that into an alleged DPS value.

D1 = A * 1993

D2 = A*1982

Relative damage increase = (D1 -D2)/ D2 = 11/1982 => 0.00555 => 0.555%

DPS increase without taking consideration to conditional damage ceteris paribus: 0.555%.

Edit: Things like rotations, as long as they don't induce use conditional damage, only matter to get absolute values of the dps, but not for how equips increase relative dps. Since the absolute values of the dps are not necessary to calculate the relative increase, one does not have to take account into rotations.

Ceteris paribus (+5 internets to you, btw. image) doesn't apply.. again you're comparing apples to oranges. The numbers work out on paper (I just tested it), but you're still comparing single attack damage to "dps", which isn't valid in GW2 due to the combat system. 

By the way, showing my math for anyone wondering where .55% comes from:

1100*1982*.5/1000 = 1090.1    (Assuming a coefficient of .5 and an armor of 1000 to simplify the math)

1100*1993*.5/1000= 1096.15

(1096.15 - 1090.1)/ 1096.15 = .00552 or a single attack damage increase (not DPS) of .55%.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by SonicTHI

Originally posted by mikahr
    1. No they didnt lie to you. They never stated "EXOTIC" is the final tier. ever.

2. And thats self inflicted. Funny how the game didnt change to dungeon grind for me. Hmmm. Open world was fine, i actuallly enoyed no zergs but appropriate number of players. Dungeon loot dont outclass anything. You get more of same loot but it certanly isnt detrimental to anything. It seems youre all about loot, maybe GW franchise isnt for you.

3. You dont have to trust anything. And i heard tinfoil hats are a must.

4. let us all use our crytstal balls, someone will eventually be right

1. Implied several times directly or indirectly. Ascended gear can not be crafted, ...

You can craft ascended backpieces.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by itgrowls

ANET did lie to us. See the quotes i posted earlier. Go read all their blog posts, articles and interviews and then go read all their stuff post nov 15th.
    Not only did they lie about better stats on gear but also about why ascended was implemented in the game.

And yes the game did change into a dungeon grind for many players. For over 2 months the games open world was devoid of people and even now dungeon loot totally outclasses open world loot. How the hell is that inline with their vision of the game? How is that not a broken game? Yes they fixed it a bit but that just confirms what i said.

ANET is now like a totally different company. One that makes errors and stupid decisions left and right, one that sacrifices their own ideals. How can i trust a company like that?
    Also by saying no new tier this year tells us that they either now have no vision for the game or are being controlled by someone else at a whim.

If you after 10 years of MMOs with stat progression can not see where this is going then i cant help you. Also your analogy is completely off.

Dungeon grind? Regarding ascended gear? You really expect people to believe that line of guano? You're claiming dungeon loot outclasses open world loot... that is a complete lie on your part. Exotics that drop in the open world have the exact same stats as dungeon gear which have the exact same stats as crafted gear and as karma gear (also from the open world). 

For reasons unknown, you are lying your arse off about the game.

Guess that explains this huh. Ascended gear does not have the same stats. That's the future of the dungeon grind system they have planned for Ascended gear. No crafting, no mystic forge, not loot drops from champions ALL with higher stats.

You act as if its so hard to get ascended gear. I dont see what the problem is. Ascended gear are better than exotics just as exotics are better than the tier below them. Whats the problem with a new tier? Its not like you cant cosmetically apply gear to other gear with better stats

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

1. Implied several times directly or indirectly. Ascended gear can not be crafted, can not be traded for karma and can not be acquired in WvW. It does not have a different look. Go read the articles and quotes, address those and then come back to me. Here s 2 links again for all the lazy people: http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/21/guild-wars-2-interview-monetization/
    Yet.

Finally. Now once ascended becomes as easily available as exotics what is now the point of it? A virtual treadmill created for the sake of having a treadmill. But why? Just to cater to a few elite players so they can always be a small step ahead. How does that make the majority of the players happy. Stat progression juggles content and discontent between the 2 player types just to keep people playing as much as possible. But isnt that weird considering:

"But what if your business model isn’t based on a subscription? What if your content-design motivations aren’t driven by the need to create mechanics that keep people playing as long as possible? When looking at content design for Guild Wars 2, we’ve tried to ask the question: What if the development of the game was based on…wait for it…fun?"

How is that not a reversal of their whole idea what their game should be? How is that not affecting the game as a whole and destroying systems that they then have to fix.
    I d much rather they instead fixed existing content, maybe made the dragon events better and more dynamic or fixed several of the pestering bugs people are still putting up with. Sure new content is great but better stats are not it.

Also i dont regard the mystic toilet as real crafting. Not that it makes much of a difference.

The amount of difference is so miniscule as to be pointess. It really doesnt affect damage output and anything else so it really is a moot point.

As I said, people like to complain for complaining sake.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

1. Implied several times directly or indirectly. Ascended gear can not be crafted, can not be traded for karma and can not be acquired in WvW. It does not have a different look. Go read the articles and quotes, address those and then come back to me.
    Here s 2 links again for all the lazy people:
    http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success
    http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/21/guild-wars-2-interview-monetization/

2. You clearly have no idea about gamer mentality. And no i m definitely not all about loot. I m arguing against "better loot" in case you missed that point.

3. I dont have to trust anything but they need customer trust. You clearly have no clue about business talking like that.

4. When you have no clue about the systems and mechanics behind gaming i m sure it must all seem really magical to you.

1. Instead of linking articles link specific parts that promise you that "EXOTIC" is the final tier in GW2. Better expression would be "rarity" anyway since technically its same tier as all 80 gear.

2. Ooooh, but i do, especially about certain types.

3. When you imagine things its hard to hold your trust

4. Yes you are right, you see teh future

Finally. Now once ascended becomes as easily available as exotics what is now the point of it?

Whats the point of fine, masterwork, rare or exotic? Rrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaage

Finally. Now once ascended becomes as easily available as exotics what is now the point of it?

WHy Rage? My Guardian currently has 1/2 exotics and 1/2 blues and he is very competitive. The difference is the skin (AKA LOOKS). Most of the others (Greens, Rare, Exotic) look better than the blues and that is what they are about. Yes the there are small differences in modifiers but the big thing is looks.

Originally posted by botrytis

WHy Rage? My Guardian currently has 1/2 exotics and 1/2 blues and he is very competitive. The difference is the skin (AKA LOOKS). Most of the others (Greens, Rare, Exotic) look better than the blues and that is what they are about. Yes the there are small differences in modifiers but the big thing is looks.

Im trying to copy Sonics reaction ;P

Looks are irrelevant since you can excenge them for whatever you like. It differs greatly what someone considers "good looks" ;P

The difference is rarity, availability and yes, stats (looks can even be same, but those 3 are definately different).

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

I stopped playing late November. I only played WvW and my rare level Invaders set was all I'd been able to acheive after a few months of WvW. I was sitting around 8 gold, never gaining much more because it was spent on blueprints, upgrades and repairs.

Along came Ascended and ok, there's not a great deal of difference between Ascended and Exotic, but there's much more of a difference between Ascended and Rare.

From this point on, the WvW player base shrunk because everybody wanted the new gear.

I felt forced to do PvE just to be competitve in WvW, so against my will I decided to try the Fractals. Oh what fun, ever tried to get a group for Level 2? I'd missed the boat already.

No big deal I thought... I've saved up quite a bit of Karma, I'll go to Orr and buy the Exotics with my Karma.

Again, not a chance. Everyone was doing Fractals and Orr was always contested. I tried for a week with no luck.

At that point, I decided to have a break. I was super busy at work anyway.

Trouble is, I have no incentive now to come back. 3 months on and WvW players still can't progress at anythng like the rate of PvE players and the divide just gets wider.

I'm not a hater, just disapointed in the direction Anet have been heading with PvE updates. Still the best game I've played in 2 years.

Originally posted by jacklo

I stopped playing late November. I only played WvW and my rare level Invaders set was all I'd been able to acheive after a few months of WvW. I was sitting around 8 gold, never gaining much more because it was spent on blueprints, upgrades and repairs.

Along came Ascended and ok, there's not a great deal of difference between Ascended and Exotic, but there's much more of a difference between Ascended and Rare.

From this point on, the WvW player base shrunk because everybody wanted the new gear.

I felt forced to do PvE just to be competitve in WvW, so against my will I decided to try the Fractals. Oh what fun, ever tried to get a group for Level 2? I'd missed the boat already.

No big deal I thought... I've saved up quite a bit of Karma, I'll go to Orr and buy the Exotics with my Karma.

Again, not a chance. Everyone was doing Fractals and Orr was always contested. I tried for a week with no luck.

Trouble is, I have no incentive now to come back. 3 months on and WvW players still can't progress at anythng like the rate of PvE players and the divide just gets wider.

I'm not a hater, just disapointed in the direction Anet have been heading with PvE updates. Still the best game I've played in 2 years.

Have you tried Orr lately? A.Net rebalanced the mobs and thinned them as well as changing spawn times. Try Orr now - it is much better experience and more fun.

Originally posted by jacklo

All the insane amounts of time I spend in WvW hasn't held me back at all. Here's a thought... if your server isn't opening Orr up regularly you could consider guesting to one that does, such as JQ. That may get you faster access to exotics. Or, you could craft them, buy them off the TP (some are cheap), etc. 

BTW, the difference between ascended and rare is the difference between ascended and exotic plus a little bit. The only ascended items currently are rings, amulets and back pieces, and the effects on WvW have been non-existant.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

1. Implied several times directly or indirectly. Ascended gear can not be crafted, can not be traded for karma and can not be acquired in WvW. It does not have a different look. Go read the articles and quotes, address those and then come back to me. Here s 2 links again for all the lazy people: http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-colin-johanson-on-how-arenanet-measures-success http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/21/guild-wars-2-interview-monetization/
    Yet.

Finally. Now once ascended becomes as easily available as exotics what is now the point of it? A virtual treadmill created for the sake of having a treadmill. But why? Just to cater to a few elite players so they can always be a small step ahead. How does that make the majority of the players happy. Stat progression juggles content and discontent between the 2 player types just to keep people playing as much as possible. But isnt that weird considering:

"But what if your business model isn’t based on a subscription? What if your content-design motivations aren’t driven by the need to create mechanics that keep people playing as long as possible? When looking at content design for Guild Wars 2, we’ve tried to ask the question: What if the development of the game was based on…wait for it…fun?"

How is that not a reversal of their whole idea what their game should be? How is that not affecting the game as a whole and destroying systems that they then have to fix.
    I d much rather they instead fixed existing content, maybe made the dragon events better and more dynamic or fixed several of the pestering bugs people are still putting up with. Sure new content is great but better stats are not it.

Also i dont regard the mystic toilet as real crafting. Not that it makes much of a difference.

As I said before I would simply have no stats on gear or levels.

It was a kneejerk reaction to try to keep players that say they like vertical progression in the game

Obviously that doesn't work because what players want is that elite feeling not a miniscule advantage that has an insignificant effect.in gameplay or content.

Obviously vertical progression existed in the game before.

white->blue->green->yellow->orange.

For me the real idea of the game is that it should be easy to get max stats and it should be acquirable from every activity in the game.

Compared to GW1 it is harder (GW1 in its current state, it wasn't so easy before) but it isn't crazy hard.

Still, I hope they keep adding ways (and make it less grindy) to acquire ascended items - if I just do open world to equip 8 characters with ascended items it is going to take a long time.

I'm optimistic though.

Why?

Because Anet already added ways to acquire ascended items outside fractals.

Because the players claiming forvertical progression are mostly gone.

Because the players that are playing GW2 protested against vertical progression that affects area outside the area you can acquire it.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

All the insane amounts of time I spend in WvW hasn't held me back at all. Here's a thought... if your server isn't opening Orr up regularly you could consider guesting to one that does, such as JQ. That may get you faster access to exotics. Or, you could craft them, buy them off the TP (some are cheap), etc. 

BTW, the difference between ascended and rare is the difference between ascended and exotic plus a little bit. The only ascended items currently are rings, amulets and back pieces, and the effects on WvW have been non-existant.

this is one thing that really boggles my mind with people getting so upset about this stuff.. there isn't even a full set of gear in ascended we are talking about just a few items.. hell there isn't even a half set

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

this is one thing that really boggles my mind with people getting so upset about this stuff.. there isn't even a full set of gear in ascended we are talking about just a few items.. hell there isn't even a half set

Yet

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Yet

Yes, we know someday there will be a full set of ascended gear you can get through various means in the game. 

Yes, we also know a select few will complain and whine every step of the way only to look ridiculous when actual math is applied. Most likely a majority of the complaints will be from people that don't even play the game.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TolmosTolmos Member UncommonPosts: 141

Yet

Yes, we know someday there will be a full set of ascended gear you can get through various means in the game. 

Yes, we also know a select few will complain and whine every step of the way only to look ridiculous when actual math is applied. Most likely a majority of the complaints will be from people that don't even play the game.

Of course, because a 10-15% increase in stats between 2 tiers of armor isn't at all significant, amirite?!

Yet

it was months before they even added back pieces and they are craftable... you can also get the other pieces through laurels.. id bet once more pieces come out there will be even more ways to achieve them so still not seeing an issue here..  you aren't gated in content you aren't mowing down people under geared it doesn't change the way the game plays or operates you have alternate paths to get the items outside running dungeons.. overall still not seeing the issue.. again all i have seen are lots complainig where it "could" lead not where it "has" and pretty sure anet understands this as you can see from adding in laurels and id be very shocked if all the rest of the pieces aren't craftable as well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Tolmos

Yet

Of course, because a 10-15% increase in stats between 2 tiers of armor isn't at all significant, amirite?!

if it was a full set offering a blanket 15% increase in power overall it still wouldn't be cause for huge concern imho but as it is now its 3 measly pieces that offer almost nothing overall and to top things off in a game where you can actively dodge that increase ends up being way less in PVP overall. 

Originally posted by Tolmos

Oh, I imagine that would be significant if it were true. But fortunately, we've already shown that that is a load of crap. Let me repost these numbers for you...

Ascended Amulet:  126 power, 85 precision,  9% crit

Ruby-ori  Berserk:   115 power, 79 precision,  8% crit

Base: 1867 power, 1684 precision, 35% crit

The Ascended amulet is replacing the Ruby Orichalcum amulet of the berserker. The base numbers are without an amulet equipped at all. The ascended amulet gives me an increase of 11 power, 6 precision and 1% critical damage. In other words, after changing amulets we see this:

Power:  1982 -> 1993

Precision: 1763 -> 1769

Crit dmg: 44% -> 45%

As you can see, with the amulet power goes up by 0.55%. Precision goes up by 0.33%. Crit damage goes up 1%. (These numbers are actual based on my mesmer.) With these numbers it's also shown that total damage goes up the same 0.55%.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Yet

it was months before they even added back pieces and they are craftable... you can also get the other pieces through laurels.. id bet once more pieces come out there will be even more ways to achieve them so still not seeing an issue here..  you aren't gated in content you aren't mowing down people under geared it doesn't change the way the game plays or operates you have alternate paths to get the items outside running dungeons.. overall still not seeing the issue.. again all i have seen are lots complainig where it "could" lead not where it "has" and pretty sure anet understands this as you can see from adding in laurels and id be very shocked if all the rest of the pieces aren't craftable as well

The point is they will slowly complete the full ascended set, so we will be chasing after that throughout the rest of the year. And this "not a new tier THIS YEAR" thing makes it sound like something has already been planned for 2014.

I'm not looking forward to complete my ascended set, just to replace it by something new.

By all means the few rings were easy to get, but I don't want to keep doing this just because they keep on adding more gear.

This is the opposite of what they had promised.

Harbinger of Fools

Yet

The point is they will slowly complete the full ascended set, so we will be chasing after that throughout the rest of the year. And this "not a new tier THIS YEAR" thing makes it sound like something has already been planned for 2014.

I'm not looking forward to complete my ascended set, just to replace it by something new.

By all means the few rings were easy to get, but I don't want to keep doing this just because they keep on adding more gear.

no they promised you would not be 100% gated from content because of "tiers of gear" and you would not need to continuously run dungeons over and over to get the best stat gear and with addition of the laurels and crafted back pieces this is 100% true and id expect the following items to follow a similar path of having multiple ways to obtain them.. 

no they promised you would not be 100% gated from content because of "tiers of gear" and you would not need to continuously run dungeons over and over to get the best stat gear and with addition of the laurels and crafted back pieces this is 100% true and id expect the following items to follow a similar path of having multiple ways to obtain them.. 

Pretty much this right here. They're keeping absolutely true to their word of no gated content or required gear grind to be able to access later content. There is nothing you're required to have ascended gear for to experience and succeed at. No, not even Fractals. You can get quite a ways into Fractals without agony resist... it's only if you choose to get into high level Fractals that you'll find agony resist makes your life somewhat easier.

Let's think way, way back to the old way of doing things... and we'll use WoW as a shining example of that. Remember WoW? Ah, the good old days of running heroics until you were geared enough for the new raid which you would run repeatedly until you were geared up enough for the next raid which you would run repeatedly until you were geared enough for the next raid which you would run repeatedly... Surprise! New expansion... level up a bit, back to running dungeons to run heroics to run raid 1 to run raid 2... ad nauseum.

They promised this will never be the case in GW2. They're being true to their word.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Yet

If we are into speculation.

The way to introduce a new gear tier with minimal amount of protest would be with an xpack, especially if they add more levels, which they said it is quite possible.

There is an xpack for the second half of the year, but no gear tier this year.

More.

Ascended gear was quite possibly unplaned - they started with gear without any visual display, amulets, rings and accessories with only the backslot has something visible and still, only book and quiver.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Ascended gear was quite possibly unplaned - they started with gear without any visual display, amulets, rings and accessories with only the backslot has something visible and still, only book and quiver.

For a moment that made me think about what ascended armor will look like and in a nightmare vision I remembered some of the new tiers, they released on swtor lol

Either way, the rings weren't hard to get. My issue is that 35 laurel is way too much for something that drops with a ~33% chance inside a dungeon. Why spend a month worth of daily tokens on something that can be gotten so easily from a dungeon?

I (and I guess many others?) would be more forgiving if they added ascended gear to possible crafts. Right now I feel sorry for people who maxed out jeweler.

Harbinger of Fools