Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After GW2 do you want the holy trio back?

1111213141517»

Comments

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Ende
    Originally posted by MyTabbycat
    GW2 dungeons were ok but not as much fun as WoW raiding. I think part of it had to do with the lack of Trinity and the other part of it just with the lack of interesting loot. There was too much work involved for very little reward.

U cant compare GW2 dungeons with Wow raids, theyre totally different.  Compare GW2 dungeons to Wow dungeons and compare Wow raids to GW2 Fractals is the best comparison possible.

GW2 has stated publically their reason for making their 'endgame' PvE content (fractals) 5man is because its easier to get together 5 people then to find 10 or more.  They havent even tried to create something to replace Wow raiding, they simply invented something different and equally as challenging (u try running lev50+ Fractals and tell me its easier than Wow heroic raids! lol).

GW2 also made loot drops inferior to crafting loot where they feel the best loot should be.  I tend to agree with this as it keeps crafting viable throughout the growth of the game.  Wow crafting is almost pointless.

Your comment "There was too much work for little reward" is a bit biased... u tell a Wow player who has to do months of dailies to get something that theyre not doing much 'work'.  This opinion that u get given free stuffs for not much effort is a cancer within WOw players... please dont bring that to GW2, we are happy to put in alot of effort for the top loot thanks :)

GW2 dungeons also suck compared to WoW dungeons, so it doesn't really change anything. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Draemos

GW2 dungeons also suck compared to WoW dungeons, so it doesn't really change anything. 

wow dungeons were fun for the first couple times but  i could do most of them while watching TV and hardly paying attention after awhile unless i was on my healer.. the pace of gw2 dungeons I can't really look away for second or ill get smoked.. to each their own i guess

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

wow dungeons were fun for the first couple times but  i could do most of them while watching TV and hardly paying attention after awhile unless i was on my healer.. the pace of gw2 dungeons I can't really look away for second or ill get smoked.. to each their own i guess

I think we've established that GW2 groupings are chaotic and haphazard.  That's why they suck.  It's 5 folks playing hero ball and hoping atleast one of you isn't terrible, as opposed to a more team oriented party based system.

On top of that they become significantly easier the more guardians that are in your party, to the point where having 3+ guardians make dungeons an absolute cakewalk.  I don't recall the last time a game had a single class that so far outpaced the other classes in PvE dungeon content... And this is from a game that's whole system is designed to prevent that.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I think we've established that GW2 groupings are chaotic and haphazard.  That's why they suck.  It's 5 folks playing hero ball and hoping atleast one of you isn't terrible, as opposed to a more team oriented party based system.

On top of that they become significantly easier the more guardians that are in your party, to the point where having 3+ guardians make dungeons an absolute cakewalk.  I don't recall the last time a game had a single class that so far outpaced the other classes in PvE dungeon content... And this is from a game that's whole system is designed to prevent that.

You just have been with players that do not know what they are doing. I have been on some great dungeon runs - they were very specific. They were very team oriented as people playing as individuals would not make it through without rez zerg (that is what you probably dealt with). The dungeons have been modifed to stop that now so playing in a team is important.  Guardians are underpowered actually unless you use them for healing - then they are not. Sure you have RIft, get 6 clerics (2 for tanking - 4 healing) and most of Rift dungeons were a cakewalk - they were rez zerg battles.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

So as the title asks. We have seen a game launch now that tried to break the mold and offer us a game that didn't rely on the holy trinity. Some like it some don't.. So how does everyone here feel that has tried a non holy trinity game? Do yu think games are better  with the trinity or witha massive hybrid system like GW2 offered or something close to it..Vote and discuss below.

How about more than two optiosn for voting.

Anyway, GW2 doesn't have a trinity nor a hybrid system. it has dps and more dps with a bit of other junk. A hybrid system would allow you to effectively do any or a combination of activities. GW2 effectively has 3 options dps , debuffs (primarly dps), and status cures (primarly dps). 

GW2 system is not a failure of hybrid system its a failure of dps only systems.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    lol wtf is holy trio the three wise men or what? I will not give you my myrrh.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434

Went through about 5 dungeons in GW2, and then quit.  Guess i'm a trinity person, or maybe i just don't like change.  Regardless, i've always played a tank (in some form) for the last 13yrs so no defined tank role = no me.  Thankfully there will always be some game somewhere that will utilize a trinity system, just like there will always be those that try to avoid it.

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    63% say holy trinity is best..so do i ;)

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

Originally posted by cybertrucker
    So as the title asks. We have seen a game launch now that tried to break the mold and offer us a game that didn't rely on the holy trinity. Some like it some don't.. So how does everyone here feel that has tried a non holy trinity game? Do yu think games are better  with the trinity or witha massive hybrid system like GW2 offered or something close to it..Vote and discuss below.  

How about more than two optiosn for voting.

Anyway, GW2 doesn't have a trinity nor a hybrid system. it has dps and more dps with a bit of other junk. A hybrid system would allow you to effectively do any or a combination of activities. GW2 effectively has 3 options dps , debuffs (primarly dps), and status cures (primarly dps). 

GW2 system is not a failure of hybrid system its a failure of dps only systems.

game is very much hybrid..why do so many go for just DPS? Because DPS is easy and requires little thought.. If you want to play support pick a class more setup for a support role like mesmer, ele, or guardian or eng, and build for support.. Isn't really games fault people don't take a little time to learn the roles better...big difference in gw2 you need to be able to juggle roles on the fly to really be effective and it seems that is just to much to ask for some people

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Trinity more closely resemble how we (as a civilization) have evolved to operate. We deisgnate specialized roles and perform those.

Rarely will you find someone who does everything, let alone does everything well.

A basic business structure has Administration (healers) who keep things up internally making sure various types of things are done properly - reports, analysis, materials, so on.

Customer Service/Accounts Executives (Tanks) who deals with clients/customers and basically are the front line against the hordes of people trying to access goods or services the company provides.

Marketing and Communications/PR (DPS) who are constantly trying to improve the company image, build a brand, and improve sales figures (higher on the meters is better).

Of course within those structures you can break it down again, but overall, that is how people function and think.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654
    Originally posted by Rusque

Trinity more closely resemble how we (as a civilization) have evolved to operate. We deisgnate specialized roles and perform those.

Rarely will you find someone who does everything, let alone does everything well.

A basic business structure has Administration (healers) who keep things up internally making sure various types of things are done properly - reports, analysis, materials, so on.

Customer Service/Accounts Executives (Tanks) who deals with clients/customers and basically are the front line against the hordes of people trying to access goods or services the company provides.

Marketing and Communications/PR (DPS) who are constantly trying to improve the company image, build a brand, and improve sales figures (higher on the meters is better).

Of course within those structures you can break it down again, but overall, that is how people function and think.

It's pretty absurd to compare MMOs to how real life companies work.

At least use team sports, it's a better example.

In team sports, you get roles like strikers, midfielders, defenders and a goalkeeper. But those positions are defined by positioning and team tactics, not by which players use their legs and which players use baseball bats.

This is a lot more like GW2, which has fluid class roles based on position and interplay with the group, rather than WoW and other MMOs that have totally rigid roles defined entirely by gear and fixed class abilities.

• EdeusEdeus Member CommonPosts: 506
    Originally posted by Greyhooff
    Originally posted by Rusque

It's pretty absurd to compare MMOs to how real life companies work.

At least use team sports, it's a better example.

In team sports, you get roles like strikers, midfielders, defenders and a goalkeeper. But those positions are defined by positioning and team tactics, not by which players use their legs and which players use baseball bats.

This is a lot more like GW2, which has fluid class roles based on position and interplay with the group, rather than WoW and other MMOs that have totally rigid roles defined entirely by gear and fixed class abilities.

I like this comparison for GW2.  Even Defense players in sports can score a goal!

to OP I like the trinity, or even debuff/buff classes (4th type)

Taru-Gallante-Blood elf-Elysean-Kelari-Crime Fighting-Imperial Agent

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    Almost a year after the game and useless threads like this pop up. If they were going to add it they would add it by now. I feel like a robot as I keep saying it. What most of you want goes against guildwars 2 and its just blood in the water.... I sorta like  seeing most of you beg thou and get mad keep going...
  • infiniti70infiniti70 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Why would a nice solo player game like GW2 need a trinity?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.