Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me understand this...

Comments

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass

About the game design comment.  Calling the DAoC model "piss poor" design is baseless.  There is nothing that backs up that comment.

lol where did I say that?

You quoted me for calling out a  person that  said DAoC model was "piss poor" design.  Please read it again.

5 pages and counting still can't see it. What post number? I will appologise if you are correct.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5577799#5577799

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Isn't it actually 50% of the game world that you see, not just 1/3? Three locked zones, one shared zone. Each alliance has access to one locked and the shared equaling two out of four zones. 2/4 = 1/2.

I'd also mention that in the SP ES games you're locked in one nation. This game goes forward and gives you access to four nations total... 300% more than the SP games. Are we saying that more freedom in the MMO version equals less freedom?

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by rygard49

Isn't it actually 50% of the game world that you see, not just 1/3? Three locked zones, one shared zone. Each alliance has access to one locked and the shared equaling two out of four zones. 2/4 = 1/2.

I'd also mention that in the SP ES games you're locked in one nation. This game goes forward and gives you access to four nations total... 300% more than the SP games. Are we saying that more freedom in the MMO version equals less freedom?

That seems to be the mob mentality lately, yes.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

What depresses me most about this "DAoC reincarnated as TESO" situation is that it's unlikely we'll see a non-PvP-centric TES MMO in the next 5 to 8 years.

It seems to be accepted practice in the industry that you NEVER have 2 MMO's running concurrently based on the same IP. So TES fans are pretty much stuck with this "interpretation" of the TES SPG gameplay.

Of course, it seems that creating clones of a game is only ever "bad" if you didn't like the game that has been cloned. 

Why is it that TWO DAoC clones (CU and TESO) are currently in the pipeline ? If DAoC was so great, why isn't someone just making "DAoC 2" or "DAoC: ReLoaded" or whatever ?

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

What depresses me most about this "DAoC reincarnated as TESO" situation is that it's unlikely we'll see a non-PvP-centric TES MMO in the next 5 to 8 years.

It seems to be accepted practice in the industry that you NEVER have 2 MMO's running concurrently based on the same IP. So TES fans are pretty much stuck with this "interpretation" of the TES SPG gameplay.

Of course, it seems that creating clones of a game is only ever "bad" if you didn't like the game that has been cloned. 

Why is it that TWO DAoC clones (CU and TESO) are currently in the pipeline ? If DAoC was so great, why isn't someone just making "DAoC 2" or "DAoC: ReLoaded" or whatever ?

Because EA has what is left of Mythic in a stranglehold choking the last breath out of their lungs, and god help us all if EA decides to make DAoC 2.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Licensing.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

But yet I guarentee you we will see a Elder Scrolls Single Player RPG within 2. 

To be as blunt as possible, to design an Elder Scrolls MMO in any incarnation other then the current one has proven to be disasterous.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Mael you came do any story at any time in skyrim.

Many of the quests have level and / or the the completion of other quests as requirements.

For instance you can't do the dawnguard chain until you reach level 10

You can't do half the deadric quests until you reach certain levels (some are level 30)

You can't do dragonborn main story line until you've got as far as high hrothgar on the main story line.

Also I'm really confused as to why you guys think daoc isn't "open world" the game has NO INSTANCES.
    Gecko
    Because EA are a bunch of idiots.
    Aeon
    Lol yeah I wouldn't touch a ea daoc2 with a ten foot barge pole.

Likely be some crappy linear instanced to hell and back sub par wow clone.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Make note of this thread, tag it, because someday it'll be used as a means to say, "we told you so.", just as we have done so many times in the past regarding poorly designed and implemented games.   I am saying it here and now that this land locked game design they are using in TESO will be one of the main things that end up hurting this game.   It will be another Warhammer, Aion, Rift, SWTOR...people do not play poorly designed games.   This game is all ready showing signs of bad game design.   If they insist on locking lands to a specific faction it will not be a very popular game.
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Teala
    Make note of this thread, tag it, because someday it'll be used as a means to say, "we told you so.", just as we have done so many times in the past regarding poorly designed and implemented games.   I am saying it here and now that this land locked game design they are using in TESO will be one of the main things that end up hurting this game.   It will be another Warhammer, Aion, Rift, SWTOR...people do not play poorly designed games.   This game is all ready showing signs of bad game design.   If they insist on locking lands to a specific faction it will not be a very popular game.

LOL, that's the truth.  When the game releases and the RvR is NOTHING like DAoC and the Elder Scroll fanbase is enraged, I'll drop back by with "I told you so".

Oh don't get me wrong there's plenty could go wrong with the game.

but the "evil faction lock" isn't it.

Lack of community with the mega server
    Overuse of phasing and instancing
    Pandering to the "raiders must have best" crowd
    Overuse of "you are THE hero" storyline
    Etc..

Done and done, will bookmark it as a constant reminder than a few disgruntled people don't make up a majority, thank goodness. Also, Rift is great give it a try, but you probably won't because you make your mind up before you even try. Or just take someone elses opinion and run with it.

I'm not saying this game is the second coming by any means, but it's going to be successfull with or without players who like to hold hands and sing kumbaya.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by Latronus

You are correct.  Knowing how to program is not really needed to design a game; however, I bet 99% of those that complain about old game designs have absolutely no idea what is required in designing a game or anything else for that matter.  I'd love to see many of these nay Sayers put into a position of authority and have to make these same decisions.  It's easy to say that they would make differing decisions, but when your faced with cost, schedule, & performance parameters, the choices aren't as clear cut as the average gamer thinks.  

I don't dissagree with your point but it still stands that you don't have to know how to program to be a game designer. It certainly helps and it is a common career path it is only 1 of many skills a game designer needs.

Where I work, it is a resume' requirement to even be a potential hire as a designer you must know how to Script.  There is a big difference between scripting and programming.  However designers are not required to program any code, that is the coder's job.

Designers that can't code at all are a pain in the arse.

Once had this guy that drew out all the UI in micro managed detail. Then just drew a cloud on his drawing with DO CALCULATIONS on it. if they can't code they at least need to know maths otherwise they want the impossible because they can't understand exponential problems, had one guy like this too with a route planner
    - "why are you doing all this genetic algorithm stuff just pick the fastest route"
    - "err because users will be sat there for a week waiting for the calculation"
    - "well just code it better then"
    Aeon

The most amusing thing is rift DOES let you go anywhere and group with who you like. Shite pvp though.
  • VindicarVindicar Member UncommonPosts: 138

I agree locked land is one serious BS but I can't agree with someone considering that Aion and SWTOR are on the same level... I don't see much restrictions in Aion when SWTOR is almost a single player game...

It's off topic and I'm not looking for a debate about it, but it clearly doesn't help making you sound like a fair reference.

Old school french hardcore whiner. Online since T4C.

I was "Namless" and "Daroot" in AO (Rk2)
    Been known as "Vindicar" (Aion (EU), SWTOR (EU), WoW (EU).
    Recently  Known as "Wundicar" and "Wundee" in Age of Wushu (US) and Wulin (EU)

Franky Rivera Reyes , From the Reyes Brotherhood (Star Citizen)

Originally posted by azzamasin

No problem at all with them taking a single player game, extrapilating that out into an MMO form while staying true to the single player game and adding in possibly the best MMO feature thats been done exactly ONE other time with great success. You in turn would rather they take the game and stay true to the TES game but extrapalting that out into MMO form and making it jsut like every other MMO released in the last 8 years.  That is what I call an idiotic and surefire fail.

TES games are open world and non linear. I don't care what PvP systems they use, remove those 2 elements and it isn't a TES game. TES games are sandbox in nature and while some might argue that they should have FFA PVP or full loot they are options. By using DAOC as a framework for the PvP they have removed the fundamentals of what makes a TES game a TES game.

You could go either way with PvP but the open world, non linear design of TES isn't open to negotiation. THAT is where they have failed.

You make absolutely no sense.  True TES are best known for their open world, non-linear gameplay and that is exactly what we get with ESO.  The 3 PvE worlds are open world non linear JUST LIKE THE SINGLE PLAYER GAMES.

My argument is you need PvP and to put in any other type of PvP other then RvR it would make the game fail.  Look at all the failures of MMO games that feature instanced Battleground style PvP, or FFA PvP.  None have worked except for WoW and thats because the PvE is what keeps it playerbase around.  But you still need other systems in place to flesh out the game and PvP is a good choice as long as if its done right and seeing as DAoC is the only successdful PvP game (in the west) then it stands to reason to use its system.  Hence the combining of the best of both worlds.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

For you maybe but for potentially millions of others I would wage not and hsitory is on my side!  DAoC and GW2 are both both massive successes and they are the only 3 faction RvR games to ever have been made.  Take away the DAoC style RvR and you turn the game itno another WoW clone.

You guys who want a WoW'ified TES game are an utter embaressment to MMO's and to think you want otherwise is not being true to yourselves.  To remove RvR and open up all the lands for exploration will cause the game to be either a EQ clone with no PvP, or you can offer Open PvP game and turn it into a Darkfall model.  While I wouldnt mind a PvE only TES game world I will settle for soemthing that works too because past games who used the model also did well.  Now to add in PvP which is a must in a MMO you can only copy several styles, and none of them is as popular or as widely successful as the 3 faction RvR system.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I just don't think pvprs will stay for too long only be able to fight in one area. PvP zones take away the element of surprise, the chance of being off guard. In a pvp zone, you know the next fight is right around the corner.

who knows though it could be super huge with towns and stuff just like the pve areas with incredible combat, idk though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by muffins89
    Originally posted by jtcgs

::sigh::  Tamriel is huge, and there are lots of places a person can travel and explore, but we're going to be forbidden to explore the land becuase the developers want to recreate DAoC?   This maybe the one reason I will not even look at this game now.   Stupid.

you'll just need to make more than one character.  think of it as 3 ES games in one.

No.  I just won't play their game.

not every game is for everyone. 

You're right, but of all the games to put this in, this is not the one.   Also, even in WOW, we could travel the world...the whole world.   Even on PvP servers, you couldn't attack players of the other faction outright in their own lands and hurt them.   They had to attack you first before you could do damage back.   Are you telling me that a game from 2003 has better game mechanics than a game being designed for 2013?

Teala your smarter than a lot of the guys on this site. Couldnt have said it better myself. We need more woman gamers like you around.

*hugs from Canada

-Trash

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by azzamasin

You guys who want a WoW'ified TES game are an utter embaressment to MMO's and to think you want otherwise is not being true to yourselves.  To remove RvR and open up all the lands for exploration will cause the game to be either a EQ clone with no PvP, or you can offer Open PvP game and turn it into a Darkfall model.  While I wouldnt mind a PvE only TES game world I will settle for soemthing that works too because past games who used the model also did well.  Now to add in PvP which is a must in a MMO you can only copy several styles, and none of them is as popular or as widely successful as the 3 faction RvR system.

My friend you got her all wrong, She isn't talking about WoWifying this game. She is talking about having it open world. She never said removing RvR, nor was she talking about Open PvP, she said it should allow people to travel anywhere we want in true sandbox fashion, in True TES Fashion.

Cheers

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Originally posted by teddyboy420

Simple, a DaoC 2 wouldnt sell, so they are tagging another name onto it.

DAoC is STILL, to this day, considered some of the best, if not THE best PvP experience in any MMO, and you are trying to say it wouldn't sell? lol.

I'm not arguing about whether this was the right thing to do for this game, b/c personally, I'm not convinced it is. Too much shoe-horning trying to be done to get TES into a certain vision of the designers imo. But that being said, I think the game could still be good. I certainly don't think the 3 faction system, or not being able to go into the home areas of the other races is going to be the reason TES fails, if fail it does.

Not every game has to be a friggin sandbox, in fact, thank the gods they're not, b/c I can't think of a single sandbox MMO (besides EVE, and I think EVE is only so successful b/c of it's "corporate" world setting in space) that has done anything beyond just existing. Look @ Darkfall, when that was in development all the sandbox lovers were hyping it up to be the end-all be-all of PvP MMO's, and it turned out to be total shit. I'd much rather see DAoC 2 then something like Darkfall 2. I also love the argument that anything that isn't sandbox is "antiquated" game-design from "2003" that should be left behind. Games are meant to be fun, and a lot of times, doing whatever the hell you want to do, isn't fun, especially with people being people, i.e. (especially w/ the anonymity of the net) douchebags. I admit some freedom is fun, but there needs to be boundries, and limits, and imo, those boundries and limits are all the more important in a PvP focused MMO. There needs to be goals, and rewards, worth fighting for.

I think the most enjoyable MMO will be a generous helping of sandbox and themepark. I think open class systems will never work in an MMO b/c there will always be a "best" build that always falls into the trinity, and that's what people will build their characters into. So there should be set classes. Also, I think freedom to explore is huge, but I don't think everyone needs to go everywhere either. Or, maybe let people go anywhere they want, but if they go certain places, where they obviously shouldn't be going (other races home-turf for instance) it means almost certain death, like 99.5% certain. Then, there should be set objectives that people can congregate for, both PvE and PvP, and if it can be done something like RvR. People need things to do, and if there's not enough to do, there's no reason to log in, so a generous mix of traditional raiding, mixed in w/ flare-up PvP battles in certain areas, and maybe something like keeps that races of certain allignments can conquer and hold for their faction....the trick is doing all these things, and doing them well.

And with all that said,  to be honest, I don't know that a MMO that stays true to TES's roots would even be possible, let alone any good. TES games have all been extremely single-player focused, yeah they tried very hard to convey a sense of a living-breathing world, but that sense would crumble in seconds if there actually were other people running around with you. People always say things along the lines of how awesome Skyrim or Oblivion would be if other people could adventure with you.....no, it wouldn't be awesome at all, it'd be pretty damn lame b/c those worlds weren't built for multiple heroes.

As has been said, not every game is for everyone. But I really think it's kinda silly to definitvely dennounce a game simply b/c some games have some areas off-limits to your alignment. Go play Minecraft....or Darkfall (lol), if that what you want.

No, it's more likely they new of Camelot Unchained, and knowing it would be bad business to market TWO games based on the same IP at the same time, they dug into their well of famous IP's and decided TES would be the latest fan favorite IP to get neutered.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

The simple fact of the matter is not HOW they should have implemented PvP into this game...

It's that they should never have implemented PvP into this game. period. Or at the very least, maybe it a distraction.

TES is all about the stories, the open world, the finding new stuff to explore.  Yes there was conflict in the games, but it was always optional to do, and if you chose to do it WHO YOU FOUGHT FOR was always up to you.

The issue is that instead of taking the beloved idea of TES and putting it into an online world.  They took the just as beloved idea of DAoC and are slapping a TES logo on it.

They knew that a game based of TES would sell better then a game that had no famous IP attached to it.  They chose TES because a lot of players know of it.  But, they never from day one had any intention of actually making The Elder Scrolls Online in spirit, just in name only.

They are really only interested in making DAoC 2.

As a result, TES fans are getting fucked over.

The main reason I see this game flopping is they are severely limiting their playerbase. First, they are alienting all the TES fans. Second, even their PvP is lackluster.  They are focing faction and land locks, yet they limit PvP to on area. The rest of the lands are off limit for bullshit reasons. So all the RvRvR players will probably jump ship when the newest and greatest PvP game comes out, might even be Camelot Unchained that takes them all away.  It invariably happens when a company does this with an IP. Instead of trying to keep their fans happy and trusting that they will tell their friends about the game and draw in more players, they try to completely switch the game around to appeal to a completly different fanbase.  What happens is the same, the shunned fans leave, and the new players, which have little loyalty, get bored and move one.

What is really pathetic is their reason for locked factions and zones. They are promoting faction pride? reallY, so players are so stupid and need to beheld by the hand because we are in capable of developing our own faction pride without the game forcing us into some arbritary system? Really, who the fuck are you to say how a person can develop faction pride?  If you can't write the game in a way, i.e quests and stories, that inhere this pride into players, then you have already failed. FORCING them just pisses them off.

Oh and wait one more.  So they are trying to promote faction pride, yet the number one thing I hear from people defending this system, is that you can just make alts to explore all the lands...

So, what faction are we supposed to be proud of? Just our mains, and our alts are just whatever?

No if you want true faction pride, you give people a reason NOT to just role alts on other factions just to explore the world.