Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] World of Tanks: Bringing War to eSports

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Wargaming recently announced the formation of an eSports league around their premier title, World of Tanks. We managed to corner Wargaming's Head of eSports Caleb Fox to talk all about it. See what he had to say before heading into the comments to discuss it.

MMORPG: Congratulations on the launch of the Wargaming.net League. Can you tell us what lead you to make this decision?

Caleb Fox: World of Tanks is defined by competitive PVP; it’s what the game is built on. We believe this makes World of Tanks uniquely suited for eSports. It also gives us a new venue to provide our players with great content, centered on the game they love.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's World of Tanks: Bringing War to eSports.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    more self-promotion with thees pay-to-win kings, i'll never give their kind one-red-cent.
  • RupskulRupskul Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by saker
    more self-promotion with thees pay-to-win kings, i'll never give their kind one-red-cent.

You haven't played WOT much, have you?  I'm not a fan of these types of systems either, but the benefit to those that pay for better ammo is minor at best.  And in no way makes those players that much better.  Statistically it's almost meaningless at the top tier tanks.

• aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84
    Self-promotion, I agree. For me personally, I would not find this enjoyable to watch. Not sure how long this will remain profitable for
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by saker

I own a couple gold tanks, and occasionally subscribe to the game. Neither of those things give you an advantage in an actual match. When gold ammo became available for purchase with credits, I briefly used that too, until I realized that it doesn't really give much of an advantage, if any at all. The game is mostly solid, and above all FUN. I don't mind dropping a few bucks on it now and then.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Nothing "war" about WoT it is a RNG arcade shooter.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

Oh get real.  There is strategy and tactics involved.  Get off your high horse.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Oh get real.  There is strategy and tactics involved.  Get off your high horse.

Sure it has both but the RNG plays way too much of a factor. It doesn't matter how good you are or how bad you are in that game. If the RNG has it out for you, you lose that match. Skill and good play will win out over time but the random bs makes many of your battles just not fun to play.

That and more than half the people playing fail their way to the top. For anyone that wants competative play it's either a second job ( clan wars ) or too frurstrating to play.

• TezcatTezcat Member UncommonPosts: 82

Ever fired real weapons systems, and I don't mean an air rifle at a fairground? If you had you'll see that the RNG is not that bad in this game. Sit still and take your time, be within your optimum range and you'll hit. Run around like an idiot firing while using auto aim, you'll miss. Simple. It's not a game for your standard brainless moron to excel at.

• RupskulRupskul Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Tezcat

Ever fired real weapons systems, and I don't mean an air rifle at a fairground? If you had you'll see that the RNG is not that bad in this game. Sit still and take your time, be within your optimum range and you'll hit. Run around like an idiot firing while using auto aim, you'll miss. Simple. It's not a game for your standard brainless moron to excel at.

+1.  Completely agree.  Platoon up with some guys that have good win rates, hit rates, etc. and you'll see that there is a lot of skill in this game.  How to drive & move, when to shoot, how to stay safe from the enemy, etc.

It's a fantastic game. 

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The RNG doesn't end when your shell hits the tank. In fact I'd say most people who call it random have no complaints about what happens between the gun and the enemy tank.....it's everything after that, that becomes a pure dice roll.

• TithenonTithenon Member UncommonPosts: 113
    I would absolutely love to see MechWarrior Online go in this direction!
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Who said anything about fiiring?  RNG arcade shooter is what the game is. 

But since you brought up shooing please explain how an ELC bounces a Tiger 88 mm KwK 43 L/71 when in fact a US .50 cal (12.7 mm) is more than capable of defeating the ELC's tin foil armor.

But to answer your question no I have never fired a "real weapon" I only retired with 5 deployments under my belt.