Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play LOTR: Online if it was setup differently with a subscription?

CaptShatnerCaptShatner Member UncommonPosts: 23

So, I just saw The Hobbit. (Finally) I've been thinking a lot about the LOTR MMO by Turbine.

I played it off and on since the release of the online game, but I really don't like how the store and a lot of the game is setup. Unfortunate for me because I'm a pretty big fan of Lord of the Rings. So my question to the MMORPG community is this...

Would you consider playing LOTR: Online if it was rennovated and rereleased with a subscription of $5 or $10 a month? Instead of how it is currently setup with the cash shop.

What would you like to see different in the game if it were to go under development again? (For players that have played the game)

Comments

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by CaptShatner

So, I just saw The Hobbit. (Finally) I've been thinking a lot about the LOTR MMO by Turbine.

I played it off and on since the release of the online game, but I really don't like how the store and a lot of the game is setup. Unfortunate for me because I'm a pretty big fan of Lord of the Rings. So my question to the MMORPG community is this...

Would you consider playing LOTR: Online if it was rennovated and rereleased with a subscription of $5 or $10 a month? Instead of how it is currently setup with the cash shop.

What would you like to see different in the game if it were to go under development again? (For players that have played the game)

It aint the cash shop that is stopping people from playing it. I like their set up better than $15 a month only option. With their set up, you can still sub and won't have disadvantage. I think LOTRO needs two factions for pvp. This would of made the game a lot more popular with players.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    No. I would rather play it for free.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Looking through what the game has and what characters I can roll, I could not manage to even download it. The combat looks so slow and arcaic. I can't imagine it has anything that I haven't seen done in some other game only better.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I'm still playing, and probably I'd play with a sub too. But I have to admit, I don't mind the current model. True, It has its pros and cons (there's a thread on the official forum about the same topic, collecting what has changed since the f2p transition).

But if I want to be honest, now with less gaming time and more games to play (and hop around), the Premium setting is perfect for me.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

If I could change anything about the game, the only thing would be their animations.  They tweaked them a little bit since launch, but not to much.  None of the races have a sense of weight to them.  If they would just follow the 12 principles of animation I would be very happy.  Oh and also have the character models redone.

However I'm a lifer with the game. Bought the lifetime membership at launch and just started to play again actually this past week and having fun.  Plus it was nice to see I had over 13k TP so I can use those to buy the Isengard and Rohan expacs.  I already bought Moria and Mirkwood a while ago.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Lotro is one of the best and most interesting themepark games on the market, in my opinion, even though it is older.  I have a VIP account there now because it looks like we won't see any decent new games until Christmas (if then), and I'm enjoying it.  

The cash shop is no big deal at all, and I rarely even visit it.  I've bought some limited edition mounts and cosmetic items, but the game plays just fine without any of the boosts and other crap they sell there.  I don't bother with any of it, and I never find myself considering buying the stuff.  Not because I'm cheap (I'm not), but because I don't feel they are needed.

Pick a busier server like Brandywine and you will enjoy it.  A lot of players are in higher level areas, but there are still lots of people running around.

Your mileage may vary, but I find LOTRO to be a very honest MMO themepark with large areas, lots of options, a more interesting and mature crowd of players and fantastic lore.  If you are itching to play in Middle Earth, give it a try.  This is coming from a person who HATES 99% of themepark MMOs by the way.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

Was in beta and never did sub for it, so for me, the answer is no.  I didn't hate the ame but the art style had a lot to do with it.  I've tried to play it several times but I just don't like the looks of the game and the questing just seemed to be to lifeless for me.  

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

You do realize that you can subscribe to it, right?  And, if you do subscribe, you get almost all of the quality of life features that the f2p players have to buy a-la-carte (extra bank space, full inventory space, titles, skills, commendations, etc.).  There are three paid subscription methods; $99 per year, $29.99 every three months (equals to $10/month), or $14.99/month.  All three are considered VIP level subscriptions and come with the 500 per month alotment of Turbine Points to spend in the In-Game Store.

This is also the same model that Turbine uses for Dungeons & Dragons Online.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Storman1977

You do realize that you can subscribe to it, right?  And, if you do subscribe, you get almost all of the quality of life features that the f2p players have to buy a-la-carte (extra bank space, full inventory space, titles, skills, commendations, etc.).  There are three paid subscription methods; $99 per year, $29.99 every three months (equals to $10/month), or $14.99/month.  All three are considered VIP level subscriptions and come with the 500 per month alotment of Turbine Points to spend in the In-Game Store.

This is also the same model that Turbine uses for Dungeons & Dragons Online.

^

Yeap.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

After the all the new MMO's I have played and quit I recently went back to LotRO and I am really enjoying it. I decided to go VIP on the £20 for 3 months sub which is good value and with the Turbine Points I have earned ingame, I have already bought the Rise of Isenguard expansion and am now saving for the next.

I would say give it a go as it is a great game with large open areas unlike some of the newer MMO's of today with some stunning scenery. A bonus is that they are giving players a 100% XP boost till the 26th Feb.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

*Make a big revamp to the combat mechanics (meaning make it as fast as gw2 combat). To me thats the biggest thing, combat is booooooring.

*take out that insane grind to get max level.

* take out pay2win from game.

Then i would play LOTR again, with a sub.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by xalvi

*Make a big revamp to the combat mechanics (meaning make it as fast as gw2 combat). To me thats the biggest thing, combat is booooooring.

See my post here:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5578794#5578794

Please explain how FREE Turbine Points earned by everyone is P2W.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104

It's fine as it is. What's the point of your post? You can already sub and get everything without using the cash shop, or you can use the cash shop as well, or play for free and never use the cash shop, or dip in when you want.

I bought a lifetime sub so i've been pretty much getting everything for free since launch. So I wouldn't change a single thing.

• ThenextbigthingThenextbigthing Member Posts: 104

Every mmo has a quest grind but lotros is a lot more fun and much easier than most. To describe it as an insane grind is crazy and shows how little you've played the game recently.

It's also not play to win, since it's so easy to play you don't really ever need to buy anything from the cash shop, again you probably need to play again since you don't know what you are talking about here.

Agree about the combat, but in Update 10 all the skills are getting a revamp and becoming streamlined, and they have already made big improvements to most classes. Like I say, you wont know this though unless you play...

Originally posted by Thenextbigthing

Agree about the combat, but in Update 10 all the skills are getting a revamp and becoming streamlined, and they have already made big improvements to most classes. Like I say, you wont know this though unless you play...

Lets see how the new update will play out. I always end up coming back to this outdatted game because of its IP nothing more. The major flaw compared to other games is its terrrible combat.

• Stryx74Stryx74 Member UncommonPosts: 66

More like take out pay2win from your post. Doesn't sound like you've been in the Lotro Store before. What items are you referring to?

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Looking through what the game has and what characters I can roll, I could not manage to even download it. The combat looks so slow and arcaic. I can't imagine it has anything that I haven't seen done in some other game only better.

It's not archaic, it's just different. Believe it or not all you action combat addicts aren't the only gamers around, some of us prefer slower combat...

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

I wouldn't mind the slow combat as much if there wasn't so much of it.  With the amount of grinding lotro requires, faster combat would be nice.  Even better keep the combat as is and reduce the amount of grinding you need to do across the board(questing, leveling, deeds, traits etc...).

I am a lifetime member so I can play anytime I want with all the bells and whistels, but everything in the game just takes too long.  Traveling from A to B takes too long, leveling takes too long.  When I have an hour or two to kill I would like to make progress.  Because I don't make much progress when I play, I end up not feeling like logging in.

Also I think they did a pretty good job on the environments, and they still look pretty good today.  That said character models and animations look and feel dated.

• bugmenobugmeno Member Posts: 85

I´m a F2P player since september 2010. Have not spent 1$ on Lotro since its F2P Conversion... got me 6 Characters slots, every questpack and expansion... and still have about 5k TP left... so... it is 100000000% possible to achieve anything without paying a ......, even Freep PvP was possible thanks the summoning-powers of a captain (might be fixed by now).

Of course, i regret that.. because overall i had great 2 years of fun and i still have. What lotro needs is some sort of a Wv3 matchup system... Server A against Server B (week 1 Server A Freep, Server B Creep, week 2 Server A Creep, Server B Freep) or something "along those lines"..

Lotro is probably the best MMO i´v played the past few years, troll-free for the most time, helpful community and just a great expierence.

Give it a go, folks!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

This^

but..... i dont play it for free either. I tried most of the classes and i have to say that as a magician lover i dont feel the caster class in LOTRO. I logged in several times and couldnt advance much. Classes there are not interesting to me, maybe the mechanics, i dont know. So i wouldnt pay for it either if i dont even enjoy my character.

Magicians in other mmos feel like real spellcasters while Rune Keepers just dont feel like one. I got bored of it really quick and was not interested in other classes.

• TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

This^

but..... i dont play it for free either. I tried most of the classes and i have to say that as a magician lover i dont feel the caster class in LOTRO. I logged in several times and couldnt advance much. Classes there are not interesting to me, maybe the mechanics, i dont know. So i wouldnt pay for it either if i dont even enjoy my character.

Magicians in other mmos feel like real spellcasters while Rune Keepers just dont feel like one. I got bored of it really quick and was not interested in other classes.

As a player of primarily DPS casters in about every  major MMO since EQ in '99 I mostly agree.  Though I didn't mind the runekeeper.  I actually enjoyed playing it as a dps class with some minor healing spells.  It is having the full range of healing abilities, while not being able to dps, which is a large negative for me.  It is like having 2 clsses in one...but I only want to play one of the 2.

I vrery much wish there was a more caster specific dps class.  This is one of the main reasons I am not currently playing LotRO.  It is unfortunate because I am a huge fan of the books/movies...and I really like the game...it just doesn't offer a class I really want to play.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I'd have played it if the set up was 'good vs evil' and you could play and pvp against both sides.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

Originally posted by bugmeno

I´m a F2P player since september 2010. Have not spent 1$ on Lotro since its F2P Conversion... got me 6 Characters slots, every questpack and expansion... and still have about 5k TP left... so... it is 100000000% possible to achieve anything without paying a ......, even Freep PvP was possible thanks the summoning-powers of a captain (might be fixed by now).

Of course, i regret that.. because overall i had great 2 years of fun and i still have. What lotro needs is some sort of a Wv3 matchup system... Server A against Server B (week 1 Server A Freep, Server B Creep, week 2 Server A Creep, Server B Freep) or something "along those lines"..

Lotro is probably the best MMO i´v played the past few years, troll-free for the most time, helpful community and just a great expierence.

Give it a go, folks!

Honestly, screenshot or it never happened. Unless this is some serious case of no life then perhaps it is possible. 

The only thing good about your post is:

1) telling someone to actually try it rather than asking.

2) Great community.

You guys can say this isn't a pay2win game but there is a reason why this game is going downhil within every update.

p.s - This game should now be called "Lord of the mounts".

• CorebolCorebol Member UncommonPosts: 8

"there is a reason why this game is going downhil within every update."

@Xalvi ;  That's just your opinion. I have seen every expansion launch and Rohan is by far the best levelling experience I have had. Calling it P2W when any amount of Turbine Points can be obtained freely is equally ridiculous.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

Huge Tolkien fan and Ive been playing LOTRO since 2008 as a lifer.  Recently Ive been playing GW2 and hard to go back to LOTRO combat after dodging and fighting  while moving.   I still consider the LOTRO story and community maybe the best in any MMO, but the combat just seems so bad now after GW2.  I have a ton of pts so will probably pick up Rohan at some point, but I am still enjoying GW2 at the moment.

A few months ago I actually logged in to my hobbit burglar and immediately tried dodging in combat.  It took me a few seconds to realize what I was trying to do, lol.   Yes, the combat just feels that bad now.