Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Benchmark ARR Test Released & Other Videos

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Square Enix is on a roll today with the release of several new videos for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. Fans can get a look at Exploration, how Gamepads will work and take a Tour of Eorzea. Also spotted by our forumites is a new ARR Benchmark to see if your machine is up to par.

Check out the full list of videos in several different languages on the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn YouTube channel.

Lastly, be sure to head to the Letter from the Producer LIVE event to be held at 2:00 pm PST (5:00 pm EST) today!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    awsome, can't wait
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    PS3 version stutters like mad. I bet they will make a PS4 version since its based on x86 architectur now.
  • kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Have to say it looks stunning..can't wait for this to release..again
  • Fletch010Fletch010 Member Posts: 1
    The game looks AMAZING!!!!! I bought the Collectors editon of this game and it was a HUGE fail, I hope they can turn it around, if anyone can SQUARE can we shall see. Wish they would just remake 11, and 7 for that matter. But I digress.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

The game looks great and I hear feels great.  The video that shows the differences between PC and PS3 also showcase the new cities, which look simply awesome.  Though if I recall correctly, the PS3 version isn't fully optimized as of yet.

Also, the Letter From the Producer Live takes place at 2 AM PST / 5 AM EST today.  I made the same mistake in my original post, but quickly rectified it about five minutes thereafter of posting. :3

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    I want to know why those who purchased the original Collectors Edition did not automatically receive beta keys for ARR. We paid more for that piece of garbage than the beloved legacy members ever paid in subs. Why are we getting shafted AGAIN??
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Something I don't understand with ARR.  If the issues with FF XIV were mostly gameplay and UI, why so much effort into a graphics upgrade?

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Something I don't understand with ARR.  If the issues with FF XIV were mostly gameplay and UI, why so much effort into a graphics upgrade?

the original game engine was horribad performancewise. they've made the game look BETTER and vastly improved performance. My current system, the one i played ff14 with original chug along on medium setting but with more that 10 people onscreen is was bad. With the NEW ff14 benchmark my system did great --

Score:5354

Average Framerate:53.797

Performance:Very High -Easily capable of running the game. Should perform exceptionally well, even at higher resolutions.

System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    8189.473MB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470(VRAM 4049 MB) 9.18.0013.1090

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Good stuff. I scored high running the benchmark on max settings.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

the original game engine was horribad performancewise. they've made the game look BETTER and vastly improved performance.

Good info, thanks!

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by Lasterba
    I want to know why those who purchased the original Collectors Edition did not automatically receive beta keys for ARR. We paid more for that piece of garbage than the beloved legacy members ever paid in subs. Why are we getting shafted AGAIN??

Thinking logically, the pool of those who bought Collector's Edition may stretch beyond what they were prepared to test in beta phase one.  Besides from that, I don't know why one would reward someone who gave up on a game simply because it had some dark days.  Also, the "legacy" members also had to buy the box, in addition to paying for 12+ months of subscription fees (as a great deal of legacy members did).

Aside from that, they gave -everyone- a fair warning of well over a year in what comes with being a legacy member; they also thanked everyone who stayed with them every time there was a letter for a long time and said that such dedication would not go unnoticed beyond legacy rewards.  It's really one's own fault for not paying even the slightest attention since there was a year to just buy three months of game time and see how the game progressed, or even support the company that was vastly improving their game and intended to remake it entirely.

I played the original beta and bought the collectors edition, yet I stayed to support them.  If they rewarded all early adopters (beyond giving them 2.0 for free as well as a free trial period), what rewards will I get for both buying the CE, being legacy AND staying with them through thick and thin?  The answer is that I'm a mature adult, and I don't expect to be spoon fed or have a sense of entitlement for something I did two years ago.  I bought the CE and I got what I paid for (in addition to almost a year of free play time).  Legacy members got Legacy, and are getting what they paid for in addition to the extra benefits that they said were going to be forthcoming.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Are those little guys goosestepping around?
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Thinking logically, the pool of those who bought Collector's Edition may stretch beyond what they were prepared to test in beta phase one.  Besides from that, I don't know why one would reward someone who gave up on a game simply because it had some dark days.  Also, the "legacy" members also had to buy the box, in addition to paying for 12+ months of subscription fees.

Aside from that, they gave -everyone- a fair warning of well over a year in what comes with being a legacy member; they also thanked everyone who stayed with them every time there was a letter for a long time and said that such dedication would not go unnoticed beyond legacy rewards.  It's really one's own fault for not paying even the slightest attention since there was a year to just buy three months of game time and see how the game progressed, or even support the company that was vastly improving their game and intended to remake it entirely.

I played the original beta and bought the collectors edition, yet I stayed to support them.  If they rewarded all early adopters (beyond giving them 2.0 for free as well as a free trial period), what rewards will I get for both buying the CE, being legacy AND staying with them through thick and thin?  The answer is that I'm a mature adult, and I don't expect to be spoon fed or have a sense of entitlement for something I did two years ago.  I bought the CE and I got what I paid for.  Legacy members got Legacy, and are getting what they paid for in addition to the extra benefits that they said were going to be forthcoming.

I doubt if peopl hadnt "gave up on" and left the game speaking clearly with their money, that SE wouldve bothered putting forth the effort and time to redo the game from scratch. I commend you and those like you who could put up with and continue to pay for the mess that FF 14 was though, maybe Ill see you in the FF14 that shouldve been, soon!

Originally posted by JudgeUK
    Are those little guys goosestepping around?

I imagine with legs so short its hard to walk any other way! ;)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    got just under 8000 with everything at max and Anti-Aliasing tick box checked on.. ran way smoother than the original benchmark :)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I doubt if peopl hadnt "gave up on" and left the game speaking clearly with their money, that SE wouldve bothered putting forth the effort and time to redo the game from scratch. I commend you and those like you who could put up with and continue to pay for the mess that FF 14 was though, maybe Ill see you in the FF14 that shouldve been, soon!

That's a fair point you have.  Though the ratings by both critics and players alone had tarnished the game's reputation, and this its growth, enough.  If it was a vie to save Final Fantasy's reputation (at least in terms of online versions), then they might've gone through with it in any case.  The fact they gave 12 months of free time, with there not being enough people on even then, would seem to lean in the direction that plans were being made to salvage the game regardless.  :3

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    The PC version most certainly look more visually appealing (at least to my eyes) for right now, but I'm sure that will change when the game is ready for actualy release for the PS3.

Smile

• GamingGeekGamingGeek Member Posts: 10

You act as though being a Collector's Edition owner and paying 3 months worth of subs during the required time-frame (many months, which they announced numerous times) are somehow mutually exclusive. They're not.

To put it another way, many people who are Legacy Members are also Collector's Edition owners. There are even many who pre-ordered the game.

To put it yet another way, your complaint has absolutely no basis.

“Developers do not give players enough credit. And maybe even players don't give players enough credit.” - Ragnar Tørnquist

• StrieferStriefer Member UncommonPosts: 62

Heh..

---------

Score:7083

Average Framerate:59.832

Performance:Extremely High

-Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.

Screen Size: 1920x1200

Graphics Presets: Maximum

---------

• purpherbpurpherb Member Posts: 6

Ill take it

5533 at maximum settings and 1920 resolution,

8727  at maximum and the normal resolution

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

the original game engine was horribad performancewise. they've made the game look BETTER and vastly improved performance.

Good info, thanks!

Agreed, this game suffered some of the worst performance issues of any MMO Ive played, it took my high end gaming PC and just crippled it.  The performance was so bad that the first time I logged in I was literally in shock.  No matter what you did, say turning the graphics and resolution down to it;s lowerst level, it had no bearing on performance, it was still a choppy unplayable mess.  There was something severly broken with the rendering engine.

It performed so horribly in all areas I couldnt play it for more than a couple minutes without gettnig a headache.  HOw this game shipped with such a broken graphics engine is a mystery.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I must say the game looks amazing. 
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Makes it really hard to play any other game after watching this and running the benchmark. Also makes me glad that I enjoyed 1.0 enough to play through the original storyline, max my jobs, and attain legacy status =D. Cya in Eorzea!
  • DraucantDraucant Member UncommonPosts: 34
    UI is greatly improved, so mouse and keyboard will perform as well as other MMOs
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

It's not really a graphics upgrade; it's more about changes to the engine.

Visual fidelity arguably DECREASED across the board; most notably the shadowing and environmental lighting. Texture and animation quality shifted as well.  The only increase in quality is the UI.. which isn't a graphical quality element.

The new engine has drastically different AND overblown lighting effects, which changes the overall image, for the worse IMO. Shadows appear to be worse and have flickering issues. (But hey, at least the game actually has environmental shadows now, the original version didn't.) Texture quality is lower. Animations might be as well (but it's hard to tell when the camera is moving around so wildly, judging this based on the alpha).

Basically, it's an engine designed to run on lower spec machines, which it does now. Unfortunately, that comes at the cost of the fidelity the game previously had. They try to hide that with the overblown lighting effects, like most console games are doing nowadays because the hardware is SEVEN YEARS OLD.

Why are they still releasing this game for the PS3 is beyond me.

FWIW, my score is 7716.  i7-3770K, GTX 670. 1080p at max settings.

Rerunning with occlusion culling ON, because that is NOT a graphical option, that is a rendering option which should be enabled AT ALL TIMES unless there is a specific reason for it to be off.  Rendering objects behind objects when they are not visible is a COMPLETE waste of processing power; it boggles my mind why it turns off when increasing the preset quality.

I also don't see SSAO active at all, unless it's extremely subtle and doesn't affect grass and most other objects.

Edit: Re-ran:

Score:7987
    Average Framerate:68.052

Going again with FRAPS to see just how low it dips with people on screen, but it feels around 30. Still suffers heavily when more than 10 people are on screen; could've worked around that with DX11 features, but nope, have to support an extremely old platform so it's stuck with DX9.

Edit2: Yup. Dropping down to low 30's, high 20's when in the grass scenes with a bunch of people.  Nothing's changed in that aspect from the last engine.