Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

playing mmo`s with your girlfriend

Playing mmo`s with your girlfriend

I`m an mmo player and always will be. I been playing mmo`s for as long as i can remember. I only been with my girl a couple of months.

She does not like to see me playing a lot, so when im playing she will be like " Why do you spend more time with playing that stupid game?"

but the fact is that i spend most of my time with her or at work, i only play when im tired and want to relax. so when she says that i be like "women you better come your horses, i play when ever the hell i want to play! so come your a** down im going to play whether you like it or not..."

so my question to you all is "should your girlfriend/boyfriend let you play mmo`s or not let you play because they want you to spend more time with them."

Comments

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    I only play MMOs with my girlfriend when my wife is out of town.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    My girlfriend is an MMO.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

My girlfriend plays more than I do.  She gets pissy when I'm programming WAC because I'm not in there quest-grinding with her like I'm supposed to.  My best retort is "This thing's not going to finish itself".

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    [mod edit]

This sort of comment makes me think youve never had one.

I play MMOs with my partner, usually tank / healer combo. Makes it much more enjoyable when someone you trust has your back.

• pmw4friendpmw4friend Member Posts: 63

doing her is not the problem, the problem is my a lone time. every one needs some alone time...

• YukmarcYukmarc Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by pmw4friend

Playing mmo`s with your girlfriend

I`m an mmo player and always will be. I been playing mmo`s for as long as i can remember. I only been with my girl a couple of months.

She does not like to see me playing a lot, so when im playing she will be like " Why do you spend more time with playing that stupid game?"

but the fact is that i spend most of my time with her or at work, i only play when im tired and want to relax. so when she says that i be like "women you better come your horses, i play when ever the hell i want to play! so come your a** down im going to play whether you like it or not..."

so my question to you all is "should your girlfriend/boyfriend let you play mmo`s or not let you play because they want you to spend more time with them."

What? I couldn't understand all this "we be", "you be" and "I be" stuff.

Listen, I've been trying to get my wife of 17 years to play MMO's with me since 1997... if they aren't interested, then they aren't interested. There's nothing you can do to change it. Tell her that you want some time to play and give yourself limits. If I were you, I would probably spend more time with her than on an MMO, but let her know that you still want your game time as well.

What do you want more? That next shiney, or to be wtih her... choose wisely.

• pmw4friendpmw4friend Member Posts: 63

i rather spend the time in bed a lone with her lols

• django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115

My cat would probably have a better chance at getting into MMO's then my girlfriend.

Little Big Planet and Super Mario are hard enough for her as it is, not joking btw.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

spend more time with her when shes around. Then join your game.

I dont have a gf right now but i remember my last gf, i stopped gaming, Playing Tennis and Sk8ing for a while to be more with her. I dont regret it, but she never said that i had to stop doing it. It was my decision.

Talk to her about it. If theres no comunication and some sort of agreement in a couple, then its not going to end well.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

My wife and I played Diablo 2.

Years later...

Diablo 3 was about to release. I purchased her an expensive gaming laptop (she wanted a laptop). I bought her a D3 CE Edition. She played it 4 times. Her sister now has the laptop and Blizzard has my 80 bucks.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Well, every person is different and every relationship is different.

I have never dated a woman who actively played video games with one exception, a girlfriend who liked the sims. Only game she liked. And after she played that she never played them again.

So with that in mind, I set aside time to be with my current girlfriend and then I set aside "me time"for my interests. I am cognizant of how much time my relationship requires and I give it that time. I tend not to date women who are clingy or require every minute of my day.

My current girlfriend is a huge yoga practitioner (or whatever they are called) so when she is doing yoga I have my own time. if I have a game event I will tell her but I will then set aside a certain time so just the two of us can do something.

Essentially, put the time into your relationship that it requires, don't let it play second (or third?) fiddle to your other pursuits BUT make sure you have time to do the things you want to do. If both can't be satisfied you are in the wrong relationship and find someone who will present you with a better balance.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

If I ever dated somebody who said come instead of calm, that would end it right there for me.

Really just sounds like you play too much when she is around.  You should relax on your MMO when she is at work or school... never had this issue occur.  I would almost always rather spend time with my girl than play a video game.  But again I do not spend 168 hours a week with her, so there is plenty of time I can do whatever I feel like it.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by fiftyplusgeek
    I only play MMOs with my girlfriend when my wife is out of town.

You win!

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• MickleMickle Member UncommonPosts: 127

Give her every ounce of your time until she can not stand to have you around.  Then play as much as you want.  If she ever gives you hell about playing just ask her if she would rather you be playing with her.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

My lady and I are both gamers... and both play MMO's... unfortunately, we tend to like very different games.

She's all about TERA and I'm enjoying GW2 and TSW.  I play some TERA with her occasionally but I can never play it for very long before I get sick of it.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• waffleyonewaffleyone Member Posts: 29

This actually goes for everybody integrating gaming or any pasttime with a relationship.

There needs to be a balance, and that comes down to respectful honest conversation.

Each person's needs and wants are weighed, and you figure out what to do, and it doesn't always have to require compromise. Sometimes just reasoning that playing these games is how you relax and take time for yourself is enough. Other times letting her figure out how to make the most of the time you're busy can take away a ton of the frustration. Perhaps you can specifically arrange time together so she won't feel ignored. Or work your gaming around when she's busy.

Calmly saying something as simple as "I'm exhausted from work, and would like to take some time to chill out and play my game. I love you. Would you like to spend some time together later tonight?" and listening to what she has to say can do wonders to diffuse a tense situation.

As long as you're taking care of your shit and attending to the needs of your partner (and reaching towards the wants) and communicating well then there aren't going to be problems unless one or both of you is nuts, and at that point you've got bigger problems than your MMO.

Of course with phrases like "stupid games" and "calm your ass down" things aren't looking so good on the respectful honest conversation front.

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223

I've done it with an ex but it sucked the fun out of the game. The last thing you want to do is add your relationship dynamics to your gaming.

Explain that it's your escape from life's stresses. Either she'll learn to deal with it (my wife did) or you'll have to start paying more attention to her (I did anyway) or it just won't ever work out.

For me, It was never a 'to play or not to play' situation. Play when you want, just don't spend an entire weekend gaming when there's a whole world to explore and an attractive woman who wants to explore it with you. I play 2 or 3 nights a week but most of my other free time is spent going places, making new friends, and/or volunteering. It's a good way to live.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by pmw4friend

doing her is not the problem, the problem is my a lone time. every one needs some alone time...

So you play MMORPGs? I don't understand your logic in spending alone time in a massively multiplayer online role-playing game.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• ZunaahZunaah Member UncommonPosts: 40

Thankfuly I don't have this problem. I'm already a gamer chick and I converted my man to MMO's image

So our casual time together sometimes involves gaming and we tend to enjoy the same games to boot.

When logic fails.. instinct prevails

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

you guys should talk. you should explain why you play games when you get home.

mebbe the girl thinks you prioritize the game more than her.

she probably just wants to spend time with you.

i play a  lot of games and I've had some boys react the same way - you just need to explain to them and know what your priorities are.

is she worth it? are you willing to give up game time to be with her? has she sacrficed her time to be with you?

good thing my wubby and i play games together heh so i dont have this dilemma right now :3

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by DeaconX

My lady and I are both gamers... and both play MMO's... unfortunately, we tend to like very different games.

She's all about TERA and I'm enjoying GW2 and TSW.  I play some TERA with her occasionally but I can never play it for very long before I get sick of it.

This is the best possible scenario.

You both enjoy gaming and both enjoy different games.  Every so often you join eachother in their chosen vice.  That sounds great to me.

I have never been lucky enough to have a girlfriend who also games, so count yourself lucky no matter what her cup of tea is.

(if I could only find a girl who loves to pvp.........that would be great.)

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    I really hope you don't actually say ‘come your horses’ and that this was a typo.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • SilverOxySilverOxy Member Posts: 5

If you really dont spend that much time on an MMO - I would talk to her and explain that playing an MMO, as silly it might seem to her, is that special time you have for yourself to have fun and relax.

My boyfriend and I had the same talk, only he was the one who complained about me "wasting" time on computer games. Lol :)

Currently playing: TERA, GW2

On facebook | Xfire

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Keep your hobbies and ho's separate.

It's the only way.

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by XAPGames

My best retort is "This thing's not going to finish itself".

A statement heard daily in the heads of women around the world after the majority of men finish "the deed", although usually proceeded by "WTF get back in there..."