Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My 2 cents before it fails

AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

I don't know how this game is going to be. I just know there are people comparing it with Mortal Online and Darkfall. But if we look at both games, we can have an idea of why they never became as popular as expected: the UI

If the user interface is overloaded with tons of buttons, or very complex to use to perform the usual tasks ingame, the game will fail. Many studios have learned this the hard way, and I think it's time to stop this trend.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by AtrusV

I don't know how this game is going to be. I just know there are people comparing it with Mortal Online and Darkfall. But if we look at both games, we can have an idea of why they never became as popular as expected: the UI

If the user interface is overloaded with tons of buttons, or very complex to use to perform the usual tasks ingame, the game will fail. Many studios have learned this the hard way, and I think it's time to stop this trend.

I have to agree that a good UI is A and O for a MMO. While hard can be good, hard to use and overcomplicated UI never is.

I dont think the UI was DF and MOs all problems but both games did suffer because of it.

A MMO needs to be like chess, easy to learn and understand but hard to master. 

I have however not tried EoC yet so I am just generally speaking here....

• langstondoglangstondog Member UncommonPosts: 20
    The UI in both games was a minor problem. Have you even played either games? I'm pretty sure you have no idea what your talking about.
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

I just hope they dont go after an MO style skill cap.  Cant STAND having to roll alts to do different tasks in a sandbox.  Made no sense why someone who chopped a lot of wood cant swing a weapon well.

Im hoping for a unique approach to the issue of alt rolling skill caps, and what plauged darkfall as a solider of one and everyone being the same.

Also...i really hope they dont do a MO/DF and focus only on the pvp and combat.  There needs to be several good metagames and roles that dont require combat for this to be a solid sandbox.

Unfortunately its too early in development i think to know if this is going to be a skill cap alt rolling sandbox i lothe so much.  Not sure if i should even follow this or now...not that its anywhere near being complete.

• ThradokThradok Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

I just hope they dont go after an MO style skill cap.  Cant STAND having to roll alts to do different tasks in a sandbox.  Made no sense why someone who chopped a lot of wood cant swing a weapon well.

Im hoping for a unique approach to the issue of alt rolling skill caps, and what plauged darkfall as a solider of one and everyone being the same.

Also...i really hope they dont do a MO/DF and focus only on the pvp and combat.  There needs to be several good metagames and roles that dont require combat for this to be a solid sandbox.

Unfortunately its too early in development i think to know if this is going to be a skill cap alt rolling sandbox i lothe so much.  Not sure if i should even follow this or now...not that its anywhere near being complete.

Chopping wood may make you strong,  but it doesn't make you any better at fighting :P

The basic idea is that there is a skill cap you can reach, and after that when you train in new things it pulls points out of your previously trained skills. So, individual caps on a skill as well as a general pool. To use some random numbers, if there are 1000 points in the pool and skill cap is 100, you can train 10 skills to 100, 20 skills to 50, etc. Keeping in mind that power growth shouldn't be as massaive as in many games, so having a skill at only 60 or 80 % will still be good, instead of completely worthless. In theory ;)

And don't worry, it won't just be pvp deathmatch all day. The devs come from MO and DF and don't want that to happen, along with the myriad other issues in those two games.

• badbingo10badbingo10 Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Loke666

I have to agree that a good UI is A and O for a MMO. While hard can be good, hard to use and overcomplicated UI never is.

I dont think the UI was DF and MOs all problems but both games did suffer because of it.

A MMO needs to be like chess, easy to learn and understand but hard to master. 

To the OP, you started a thread named "My 2 cents before it fails" Then start your post by telling us you know nothing at all about the game, but you hear other people are comparing it to some other games that happened to have failed in your opinion, for reasons you apparently know nothing about. +1 for optimism.

This has to be the most random reason to start a thread of doom and gloom I've ever read lol.

I only really wanted to post in response to Loke666, the easy to learn - hard to master exactly hits the nail on the head for any game with a focus on open world pvp, players have to feel of some use in the first few hours of play time, with full loot pvp this becomes even more important, difficulty's in binding attacks or weapons to hotkeys is unacceptable.

Players (in my experience) are far less forgiving of poor UI if they lose in game items due to it.

But OP, until we see this UI, its really impossible to guess weather the game will fail or not due to it though.