Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is MO development now based on donations alone?

JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

I just found this on the Official Forum http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/donation-status-thread.84866/#post-1459650 which, to me, sounds like Seb is working on donation "goals"- I thought (silly me) the donations goals would be outsoursed and the developers (there is like only 2 right?) would continue fixing the GAME...

So if Seb is working on donation goals, that means he isnt bug fixing the broken game which (in my opinin) is what the subs are paying for. Or am I missing something?

So it looks to me like the subs are just a "gimme" for SV and if anyone wants anything fixed or added they have to pay extra? This seems really, really wrong since it was my understanding the donations would not interfere AT ALL with bug fixing or normal develpoment.

Comments

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Are you a programmer? Put in your application with SV then. If not sit back and enjoy the ride. It's 3 peole with questionable business ethics, but it's all we've got.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Are you a programmer? Put in your application with SV then. If not sit back and enjoy the ride. It's 3 peole with questionable business ethics, but it's all we've got.

LOL- I am a quasi amature programmer (put it this way, it isnt my day job...) with no desire (or skill) to work in the "industry".

Yes, I am also aware of the questionable ethics - But that still does not answer my question... I am curious if now bug fixing and server stability has been trumped by donation goals (which to my recolection was supposed to not involve the normal "devs" nor interfere with bug fixing and such)

-I am enjoying the ride also... Its pretty funny reading about all this stuff I only wish I had been participating in the "heyday" of these forums when the REALLY FUNNY STUFF was happening daily. Still makes for some pretty interesting reading.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

they have no more then a few thousand supporters, of which no more then 1 or 2 thousand that actually sub from time to time.....the only thing holding this game open is Henrik's dad's money.

all the rest is nothing but a joke. they haven't even finished the last donation promise (was it mounts/breeding?) and already are starting to promise the next thing and asking for more money. if people are willing to pay for promeses, i guess why not make them pay through the nose right?

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    well it looks like they have almost raised the 6000.00 donation goal in about 2 weeks so seems to be working.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by deathshroud

well it looks like they have almost raised the 6000.00 donation goal in about 2 weeks so seems to be working.

Well I think they raised about $10k from their three rounds of donations. I believe that 3 donors made upnearly half of that. They had one sugardaddy for each donation drive. Current one had someone pay $2500 of the $6000 goal.

Remember how bad it was when SV did shady stuff with guys like Russian because had kept 6 subs? This last Guy donated more than 150 subs worth...

It will be interesting to see what happens when people start calling favoritism...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

-And still, my question remains unanswered. =(

Okay, my whole point in this thread was to try and find out something... I want to know if

a) Sebastion is working on the donation goals 

b) If yes, wasnt the whole point of donations to "outsource" work and keep the dev (Seb) on Bug fixing, server fixing and normal , you know. develpoment?

c) if yes to (b) then isnt this basicly saying that the sub fees mean nothing towards developing anything since the dev is essentially working towards "extra paid for" content?

-I am a bit baffled here... Last I played the server was down more than up, bugs rampant and game seemed unfinished...With one dev, wouldnt it be better to fix the server and bugs than work on donation content?

That was basicly what I want to know. And what nobody will tell me....QQ.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Are you a programmer? Put in your application with SV then. If not sit back and enjoy the ride.

^ Troll = 100%, relevance = 0%.

What you are saying is no different than saying to someone are they actor? just because they think a movie is terrible and is a ripoff.

Or saying to someone that are they mechanical engineer? just because they think the car is terrible and handles terribly.

If everyone can afford to make/produce the shit that they need/want to use then there will be no need for commerce or civilization, and we are better off be back to stone age.

You are pointless.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

If that is true that the main programmer is working in donation goals then that is pretty sad (I mean sad. . not pathetic).

Sub fees are now going to what?   I guess you are donating $15 a month toward donation goals?  That might not seem so bad but they did say it was to be outsourced and added on top of current development I beleive.  Not good.

Edit:  reading the post you linked it sounds like he is just up on what is happening.  Does he say anywhere that he is doing the work?  He should be aware of what has happening as the lead programmer.  He would have to be involved to some extent.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

they outsource for artists and 3d modelers/animators but seb still has to do all the coding :(

i said on the forums they should have had a donation goal to get pay some real programmers to fix the node lines. But the reply was that it would take far to much time for them to work out the mess of code sv had created for mo so seb has to do it.

they outsource for artists and 3d modelers/animators but seb still has to do all the coding :(

i said on the forums they should have had a donation goal to get pay some real programmers to fix the node lines. But the reply was that it would take far to much time for them to work out the mess of code sv had created for mo so seb has to do it.

Thank you Sir, for answering my question.

The Annual Report for SV released today. Henrik repeatedly talked about donations as a key source of revenue for 2013. BTW it should not be a shock but they lost money again...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

You took that answer from the playerbase cause no one in SV has balls to answer on such questions. So i call it an answer equilevant to poop. I believe it was Tizio who gaved the answer. Anyways the thing is that with donations or without the game will not see any improvements with Sebastian coding things. Not even fixes. It will be probably more half assed fixes like the ones we used to get that do fix one thing and break several others.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    There is no way that any game (other than tripe) will be based on donations alone. Computer time, modeling, etc. all cost money. Even using a 3rd party game engine cost money. They will use the donations to go an and try to get more money from captial funds, etc. That is the only way any game, currently, will be made.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

Only if you got this kind of support with real game issues, but have a problem making a donation and they're all over it.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/donations-issue.84915/

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300
    Originally posted by Hancakes

Only if you got this kind of support with real game issues, but have a problem making a donation and they're all over it.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/donations-issue.84915/

It makes me feel sad the fact that the first answer to the topic was from SV's side since it was a donation issue. If it was a game issue there would have been pages and pages of useless crap and not a single official answer. As i said again all of them are children hungry for money. They dont deserve donations not even the monthly sub. Sad lame opportunists.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/threads/donation-status-thread.84866/page-2

in this thread you can see i ask seb a direct question and he answers rather quickly.

i just think they have been very active of late and i dont think its specifically because he asked a question about donations as opposed to something else he got a quick reply.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

in this thread you can see i ask seb a direct question and he answers rather quickly.

Yes, another  donation related thread. image

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Hancakes

Yes, another  donation related thread. image

:) They are always very active in those threads.

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

If that is true that the main programmer is working in donation goals then that is pretty sad (I mean sad. . not pathetic).

Sub fees are now going to what?   I guess you are donating $15 a month toward donation goals?  That might not seem so bad but they did say it was to be outsourced and added on top of current development I beleive.  Not good.

Edit:  reading the post you linked it sounds like he is just up on what is happening.  Does he say anywhere that he is doing the work?  He should be aware of what has happening as the lead programmer.  He would have to be involved to some extent.

From the MO forums:

Henrik NystromCEO

Seb is finishing the last stuff for the mount package, then we are simply waiting for the artist work to be done for the char & armor system, during this Sebastian will continue the work on the TC content we have mentioned.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Ignore this.  I misread a post, so my reply didn't make sense.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.