Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this MMO concept viable for todays RPGrs?

RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

Hi all, I hope I will make some sense so please bare with me as this is my first post.

I would like to get peoples opinions based on sound reasoning (not just a yes or no response) as to whether or not the following idea could be viable in todays MMO's or if you have a suggestion/s that could enhance it. Please think through thoughtfully before responding. I'm hoping to read some great replies. The numbers provided in the below scenario could be modified of course.

Scenario:

A MMO comprising of 5  factions (maintains imbalences having an odd number)

You may have characters of various classes but only with one faction (all factions have the same types of classes)

Each faction through an in game democratic vote system may form or break alliances with other factions once a month. This adds a new dynamic to the game. You could find a 3-2 ratio or even 1-3-1 or 5-0 bringing a month of uneasy truce and no world pvp. This would create very interesting conversations in general chat of each faction leading up to the tally of votes.

Here's the kicker...You can CHANGE FACTIONS (but all your characters would have to change at the same time). I'm thinking a type of reputation system within your faction. High faction rep would give some types of bonuses, once a low rep level is achieved you would qualify to leave and start afresh with a new faction.

I can go into much more detail but this is the basic concept of my idea. Looking forward to some feedback and some flames if needed.

Cheers,

Rhino.

Comments

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Your concept has no interest for me as it is predicated on RvR PvP.  As I have no interest in PvP this sounds boring.
  • RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

Ahhh, I know RvR PvP does not interest everyone. This concept is much much deeper than that which I have only mentioned a portion of. A large basis for the seperate factions is also to do with control of resources for crafting. Some resources are only available in certain areas controlled and farmed by the faction of that land.

The faction system can become vital to trading also, having an affect on economies also. Each faction is going to have things the other factions need.

Hope this looks more promising :) 

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Rhinotones

Ahhh, I know RvR PvP does not interest everyone. This concept is much much deeper than that which I have only mentioned a portion of. A large basis for the seperate factions is also to do with control of resources for crafting. Some resources are only available in certain areas controlled and farmed by the faction of that land.

The faction system can become vital to trading also, having an affect on economies also. Each faction is going to have things the other factions need.

Hope this looks more promising :) 

I don't like RvR simply because PvP ends up being in dedicated areas only.
     I don't like that limit.

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

If you're going to have that many factions may as well just have purely player created factions like in EVE.

And having the ability to vote "no pvp" would end up like EVE china, where everyone allied into one super alliance to grind pve.

Originally posted by emikochan

If you're going to have that many factions may as well just have purely player created factions like in EVE.

And having the ability to vote "no pvp" would end up like EVE china, where everyone allied into one super alliance to grind pve.

They're very interesting points you've raised there emikochan. I appreciate your feedback.

You may be correct in your asessment of a super alliance being formed with no world PvP and to be honest I hadn't thought of that . I assumed that it was in a players nature to have conflict. I guess it could/would all come down to what the benefits were of forming an alliance as opposed to the benefits/rewards of war.

Usually, once a possible problem is discovered a solution can be created to counter this, i.e. only having a maximum of 2 alliances per any given month.

Keep the thoughts coming and thx again.

There is a copy of this in the developers corner forum which is where I should have placed this in the first place. My mistake.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by emikochan

seriously? where is that info from? do you play there?