Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Defiance: Sending Out a Decoy

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In Defiance, EGO skills are a player's bread and butter but, to date, little has been said about them. We have teamed up with Trion Worlds to bring our readers the first ever information about these skills. In the second in our continuing series, we take a look at progression. Check it out and then let us know what you think in the comments.

In Defiance, players assume the role of an Ark Hunter, essentially a gun for hire, bent on reclaiming alien Arks for fame, profit, and of course... more profit. For those that may not know, character development is not the same “pick a class and go” action you’re used to in many MMOs. Instead, Defiance uses a classless system that instead has you pick a main skill to use (and you can learn all four) and then flesh them out with perks as you progress through the game.  At character creation you’ll pick an Origin, which gives you a basic starting look and a little character back-story, but you don’t pick a class.  As a shooter, there aren’t really strict roles to fill. Everyone is going to be shooting something, in some fashion or another.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Defiance: Sending Out a Decoy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

THEY MESSED UP ON THIS SKILL FOR IN PVP YOU CAN SEE IT IS A DECOY THIS SKILL IS NO GOOD FOR PVP 

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Tatercake

THEY MESSED UP ON THIS SKILL FOR IN PVP YOU CAN SEE IT IS A DECOY THIS SKILL IS NO GOOD FOR PVP 

I do believe this is being altered for launch though.  I'll have to clarify next time we speak to Trion.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171
    Woot, decoy, one of the whopping 4 abilities in the entire game. 4 whole abilities. Smashing records Trions!
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by evemaster00
    Woot, decoy, one of the whopping 4 abilities in the entire game. 4 whole abilities. Smashing records Trions!

with 100s ways to configure them...

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Is this still under nda?

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Yes, Eric.  Still NDA.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

4 abilities with literally hundreds of ways to customize them. I'm not a big MMOFPS fan, but even I realize this is going to be a pretty good game most likely.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    No I don't think so.
  • endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by spawn12345

Just to play devil's advocate here, but Diablo 3 kinda did something similar. There are several way to augment a skill and change the way it works and looks. So the idea was that you would have innumerable ways to configure a character. The problem is, just like every other game, players eventually determine which configuration is the "best", and in reality you end up with very little skill variance. There's simply no way to balance an incredibly numerous amount of configurations, and there end up only being a handful that reallly shine. Most of the other configuration choices are lackluster at best, or completely non-viable. 

I know little to nothing about this game though, so I'm just theorizing here. Your comment about numerous configurations immediately reminded me of what they were once saying about D3 and it's huge amount (trillions?) of potential builds. 

Originally posted by endgame1

Just to play devil's advocate here, but Diablo 3 kinda did something similar. There are several way to augment a skill and change the way it works and looks. So the idea was that you would have innumerable ways to configure a character. The problem is, just like every other game, players eventually determine which configuration is the "best", and in reality you end up with very little skill variance. There's simply no way to balance an incredibly numerous amount of configurations, and there end up only being a handful that reallly shine. Most of the other configuration choices are lackluster at best, or completely non-viable. 

I know little to nothing about this game though, so I'm just theorizing here. Your comment about numerous configurations immediately reminded me of what they were once saying about D3 and it's huge amount of potential builds. 

Its the same with mmos with 100 skills...

people use the 1-6 skills that are the best

Originally posted by Aeonblades

4 abilities with literally hundreds of ways to customize them. I'm not a big MMOFPS fan, but even I realize this is going to be a pretty good game most likely.

No, there are exactly ZERO ways to customize them. You can level them up about seven levels each and all this does is make them slightly better. Wow!

There is a reason the hype for this game fell after the beta weekends. People played it and realized it's nothing more than a shallow console fps.

eh yes you can customize them... I dont think you know anything about the game

http://defiance-central.com/wp-content/gallery/london2012/perks.png

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84

I know little to nothing about this game though, so I'm just theorizing here. Your comment about numerous configurations immediately reminded me of what they were once saying about D3 and it's huge amount of potential builds. 

Somewhat agree. There have been MMO's where my dps rotation consisted of maybe 5-6 skills, then I would have around 2 buff skills, 2 aoe skills, 2 powerful longer cool down skills, 2 crowd control skills, 2 defensive skills, etc.. Maybe I'd only be using 6 skills or so most of the time, but then there would be others that would get used situationally. 

Somewhat agree. There have been MMO's where my dps rotation consisted of maybe 5-6 skills, then I would have around 2 buff skills, 2 aoe skills, 2 powerful longer cool down skills, 2 crowd control skills, 2 defensive skills, etc.. Maybe I'd only be using 6 skills or so most of the time, but then there would be others that would get used situationally. 

Also in defiance you have different slots for different weapons so that could be also counted as another skill for different situations if we compare :)

rocket launcher = aoe

sniper = long distance singel target

grenade slot

etc

so its not like there is just one skill you use :)

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    generic very average shooter nothing you have no played 100's of times already.
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

I have heard a lot of hubbub on the internet that it is almost impossible to group up with your friends in the current beta.  

• You can't invite people to group that are not standing directly in front of you.
    • Servers are devided up into multiple instances or shards in order to spread players out a bit.  If my friend is on one shard, and I'm on another shard.  I can't switch to his shard to group up with him.
    Hearing these two facts made me loose pretty much all interest I had in the game.  Maybe they will fix this before launch.  But that launch is getting really close.
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by ragz45

I have heard a lot of hubbub on the internet that it is almost impossible to group up with your friends in the current beta.  

• You can't invite people to group that are not standing directly in front of you.
    • Servers are devided up into multiple instances or shards in order to spread players out a bit.  If my friend is on one shard, and I'm on another shard.  I can't switch to his shard to group up with him.
    Hearing these two facts made me loose pretty much all interest I had in the game.  Maybe they will fix this before launch.  But that launch is getting really close.

If Trion's track record with Rift is any indication, you can bet that Trion will be quick with the fixes and new content and give the players what they want.  If this is true and players don't like, it, I'll bet it either doesn't make it to launch or it goes away quickly afterwards.  I'm looking forward to this game just so I can get my MMO fix on my Xbox and give the mouse and keyboard a break. 

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by Dampyre

Yeah you can only do so much with shooters.....ALso if its a shooter then there is going to be cheating......Its almsot like they hand out aimbots when players sign up anymore they are so common.

• breadm1xbreadm1x Member UncommonPosts: 374
    Logo Ego all looks like tr2 to me :P

Originally posted by ragz45

BETA!

Thats why its under NDA so crap like this wont come out because its something that will be fixed

I beg to differ, I have played most mmo's that have been released in the past 10 years and I have not played anything like this one. Is it fun? dont know but its good enough that I will try it out on release

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Except is an average shooter in an MMO setting, which is new.  Firefall is the only other example, and it's been spinning its wheels for years

• AkujaAkuja Member Posts: 2

Not even the Guy posting know's too much.. His info is probably weeks old. The content is changing on a weekly basis.

Im guessing most die hard COD and BF3 fans are expecting killstreak type Abilities, but lets look at them. At the top there are multiple Killstreak rewards (abilities), but you can only have 3 on a loadout. They are game breaking to the point of absurdity in some cases.

For the MMO fans they are expecting 3-4 sets of Hotbars Loaded up with Keyboard mashing type abilities.

This is an FPS based MMO, where Killstreaks arent needed and mutliple hotbars are just stupid. Its a point, shoot and blow stuff up type of game similar to the style of borderlands.. But wait that only gave you one ability per Class you player right ??

Perks in Defiance allow you to beef up your Passive and Reactive part of your character to allow you to Go Hard or Go Home longer.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Draemos

Except is an average shooter in an MMO setting, which is new.  Firefall is the only other example, and it's been spinning its wheels for years

tabula rasa was a average third person shooter in a MMO setting.. didn't turn out well.. there have actually and still are a couple shooter MMOs just none are very good(imho)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

This isn't really my type of game, but will most likely try it at some point.

I like the look the TV show a bit better. Will watch that. If it is good, probably will get me to play the game, lol.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Draemos

tabula rasa was a average third person shooter in a MMO setting.. didn't turn out well.. there have actually and still are a couple shooter MMOs just none are very good(imho)

Tabula Rasa was a terrible shooter, you might as well throw Fallen Earth in there too.  Their combat systems where hindrances because they are hamfisted.    Defiance is a significantly better shooter than either.