Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No world pvp in WildStar?

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
Was just reading about the game and it says it will have PvP battlegrounds, dungeons and epic raids. Will this be the same old hamster wheel type mmo? Where is world pvp? Non-instanced stuff?

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Too early to tell.  If I was a betting man I'd guess they'll have pvp and pve servers since it's a two faction mmo.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by funcon
    Was just reading about the game and it says it will have PvP battlegrounds, dungeons and epic raids. Will this be the same old hamster wheel type mmo? Where is world pvp? Non-instanced stuff?

I didn't think this game had groundbreaking innovations on it's mind, just borrowing the best from the themeparks around it. It will be a good PvE game from what I have read/watched imo.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Too early to tell.  If I was a betting man I'd guess they'll have pvp and pve servers since it's a two faction mmo.

I've always hated the idea of pve and pvp servers.  If you want to have a game with good open pvp, then make it a core part of the game and design the game world around including that, not just some stupid flag that gets switched on on a pvp server. 

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    This game is shaping up to be a big gimmick based on true cartoon graphics, in my opinion.  I haven't heard of a single thing that sounds interesting about it that I can't already find in other boring MMOs.  But hey, I hear you will be able to connect to Facebook!!!  (lol)

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I know I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I won't play this game (or any game) that doesn't have World PvP. I cannot do the Battleground thing anymore. It's beyond boring. Moreover, even "epic" PvP seige instances are boring. This element of pre-made equality and lack of element of surprise makes PvP so redundant and stale.

I've been there and done that... many times. I stuck to my guns via SWTOR (Didn't play it). I'll stick to my guns with this, too.

I will not play a game without good World PvP.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Sijjistoryus

I know I don't speak for anyone but myself, but I won't play this game (or any game) that doesn't have World PvP. I cannot do the Battleground thing anymore. It's beyond boring. Moreover, even "epic" PvP seige instances are boring. This element of pre-made equality and lack of element of surprise makes PvP so redundant and stale.

I've been there and done that... many times. I stuck to my guns via SWTOR (Didn't play it). I'll stick to my guns with this, too.

Instanced battle grounds has its cons and pros. Pros: It is instant pvp. Cons: It keeps people from going out into the game world, no one leaves the cities.

But I do agree with you. I would rather have wpvp than instanced.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Instanced battle grounds has its cons and pros. Pros: It is instant pvp. Cons: It keeps people from going out into the game world, no one leaves the cities.

The problem with static battlegrounds is that they quickly get old for anyone with even mediocre intelligence. I have the exact same problem with PS2.  These static battlegrounds are just a big circle-jerk.  There's nothing invested in it at all by the player.  You just go zerg until you get bored or get tired of getting owned by a larger zerg.  PS2, GW2 and other games that use this model are just plain boring.  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

The problem with static battlegrounds is that they quickly get old for anyone with even mediocre intelligence. I have the exact same problem with PS2.  These static battlegrounds are just a big circle-jerk.  There's nothing invested in it at all by the player.  You just go zerg until you get bored or get tired of getting owned by a larger zerg.  PS2, GW2 and other games that use this model are just plain boring.  

Yeah, they do get boring fast. I think TESO will be the game for pvp. I think WildStar is just going to be a great pve game which sucks because I like wpvp.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740

Yeah, they do get boring fast. I think TESO will be the game for pvp. I think WildStar is just going to be a great pve game which sucks because I like wpvp.

Interesting, I loathe PvP but if it must be in a game that I play I want it to be instanced PvP because it puts the PvPers in the Cities waiting or in the PvP instances.  Now I understand how that would get boring for the PvPers but for the non PvPer it sounds like a good compromise.

I suppose what this means is games should come clearly labelled "PvP game" or not.  After all as someone observed just having a  PvP server or two is just tokenism.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    This game is shaping up to be a big gimmick based on true cartoon graphics, in my opinion.  I haven't heard of a single thing that sounds interesting about it that I can't already find in other boring MMOs.  But hey, I hear you will be able to connect to Facebook!!!  (lol)

It sounds like there are about a dozen hyped MMOs coming in the next few months....We'll be lucky if even one fo them, including this one,  is any good.