Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any class you disliked at launch but enjoy now?

AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

At launch i tried a bit of every class and even though I played all the BWEs i didn't know the combat system very well. Now months after release I have tried all classes to at least 30+ and have a much better grasp of combat and combos and playing support. 

Now is there any class you played at launch that didn't click but now you love it?

For me it's easily mesmer. I have found so far this is probably the most versatile, customizable, and enjoyable class of them all. The things I can do on my memser most of my alts would have no chance at all(at my skill level that is heh)...I have changed my overall playstyle every 10 or so levels since I started playing it and closing in on 60 I have about 8 differn't builds I want to try once I open the last line of traits.

Also going the other way I really enjoyed warrior at launch but honestly find them the most boring class of them al nowl:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Comments

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

First necro I made got to lvl 15 and I deleted. After the Mad King event, I re-created a necro and lvled to 80. Still not my favorite, but I find it much better now.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Eluldor

First necro I made got to lvl 15 and I deleted. After the Mad King event, I re-created a necro and lvled to 80. Still not my favorite, but I find it much better now.

yea necro was what i wanted to play at launch but got to about the same 15-20 and deleted her.. i may try one again after leveling my mesmer if I have time.. we shall see:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    My necro is getting more dull as I lvl. He got a big boost at lvl 30 and he has been spinning his wheels since (75 now). My warrior is 30and a wrecking ball with fun weapons and seemingly interesting build choices. My 80 ranger is fun and has a nice variety of build choices. I def think the necro and engineer need a big fun injection of all the classes Ive tried (havent tried guardian or mesmer).
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    My necro is getting more dull as I lvl. He got a big boost at lvl 30 and he has been spinning his wheels since (75 now). My warrior is 30and a wrecking ball with fun weapons and seemingly interesting build choices. My 80 ranger is fun and has a nice variety of build choices. I def think the necro and engineer need a big fun injection of all the classes Ive tried (havent tried guardian or mesmer).

two best classes in the game IMHO:P 

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    I didn't really get into the thief as much at launch until they made the change to make the stealth last longer. Now it's quite fun.
  • WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

2 classes for me.

The Theif, I never ever liked playing a rogue type character in any MMO, but in Gw2 I fell in love with way stealth works.

I also dig the Eng, at first I felt like it was ruff around the edges but now I get it, they are the kings of bunker-ing, as soon as I learned that they are not run and gun and played them the right way (one man fort) they really came to life.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Necromancer. 

I really like the class now.  I hated it with a passion before.  All the minions running around with a blood thirst I can't even describe, attacking everything in a three mile radius.  Dying pointlessly as though they were suicidal.  Insane creatures.  No control. 

Well they fixed that.  Minions now stay right with ya.  They've taken their medication and now behave.  Suddenly the class was made fun.  Good job Anet. 

• Rambo621Rambo621 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Definitely thief. I never play that kind of class, usually caster types (sorcerer, priest) but for some reason I love thief in pvp and I'm pretty good at it. It's the only reason I even play the game, which I rarely do, just to pvp as a thief and see people spam "HS noob!!!"

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Mesmer for me.

At release I tried and just couldnt get it to click, had much more fun on an engineer and thief so put my effort into them. With all the changes with laurels and dailys and such I figured it was a good time for a new character and went back to give Mesmer another go.

I think its partly that I chose the right race that appeals to me and also took my time exploring the options of the class more. Finding it a lot more exciting and deceitful now.

• plutosamsplutosams Member UncommonPosts: 50
    When I first started the game I hated mesmer and levelled my elementalist to 80.  Shortly after 80 I began to hate everything about elementalist and left the game for a few weeks.  After returning I though I would reroll a mesmer and see how it is, now I love the class and it has become my main.  I tried to get back on my elementalist after a few months away and after a half hour hopped back to the mesmer.  
    Originally posted by plutosams
    When I first started the game I hated mesmer and levelled my elementalist to 80.  Shortly after 80 I began to hate everything about elementalist and left the game for a few weeks.  After returning I though I would reroll a mesmer and see how it is, now I love the class and it has become my main.  I tried to get back on my elementalist after a few months away and after a half hour hopped back to the mesmer.  

same issue i think my elem is sitting near 70 right now.. but just got tired of playing the attunment dance.. but someone who has mastered swapping between all 4 elements is a sight to behold espeically in PVP

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Thief for me...I leveled mine to 80 and like playing it more than any other class (I ususally only play heavy and medium armour classes).
    Originally posted by avalon1000
    Thief for me...I leveled mine to 80 and like playing it more than any other class (I ususally only play heavy and medium armour classes).

thief is another one i may try to get back into.. but right now loving the mesmer and guardian

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Same for me. Mesmer. I hated it in Beta, but like it a lot more now that I'm a GW2 vet. :) Similar experience with Necromancer as well. Hated in in Beta, loving it so far (level 51) live.

There may have been some improvements to the professions since beta that made them more fun,. However, I think most of it is that I've learned a lot how to play the game since launch and those lessons or  just the general level of comfort with the game have made the difference.

I have six level 80s now and I'm working on getting the last two professions, (Necro and Engi) to 80 in the next month or two. The problem I'm having now is deciding which profession to settle into as my main moving forward.

I'm usually lucky to find two or three professions in an MMO that I really enjoy playing. With GW2, I enjoy pretty much all of them, with at least half being great matches for my personal playstyle.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by avalon1000

Yeah, I found Thief frustrating to play in beta. Too squishy.

Learning to move, dodge and properly use situational skills, along with a build that suits me, really made the difference. It's now one of my favorites and a friend, who plays a Warrior, often is disgusted at how much more survivable I seem to be on my Thief than he is on his Warrior. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

necro i didn't like it on start but now its far my favorite from my 5class's, (4L80 and 1 L55), on opposite i liked eng on beginning but now i cant play with him, the whole class sux, no wonder theres so few on WxWxW, its the only RNG class in this game and basically its the worst of all no matter what build which skill, its the worst , period . i tell this cause with my ranger, necro or guardian i can do very well on WxWxW , but eng its pure crap (i refuse to play more as grenadier, its painful boring after 1 full month playing it).
    Example: when i need hurricane i get juggernaut, when i need stability i get stealth and so on , in a day of bad luck you get completely frustrated

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    For me it was the Ranger. I started one, second character after a mesmer (still at lvl 56 with mesmer - a thinking class) and went to lvl 10 and hated it. At the beginning of December tried the class again and thought it was a great class and what did I miss in the first place? I got my Ranger to lvl 80 and still enjoying the profession.

• kpshyaznkpshyazn Member Posts: 11

During BETA, I mainly played the ranger (which I barely play now - my first toon to level 80 when the game went live).

I tried the Mesmer, and at level 4, I could not kill those skales (that regenerate health)...  the lack of dps and knowledge of how to play the mesmer frustrated me...  I stopped playing the mesmer for a good while, then came back to it.  It's been a few months now, but once I hit 80 - the mesmer became a lot more fun (my 3rd favorite class) and I use it for almost everything.

I barely gave the necromancer a chance during BETA... just didn't enjoy it... tried a few times.  Decided our guild needed a necro for dungeon running... and just like with the mesmer - I reached 80 a few months ago, and now it has become my favorite class.

ranger -> started as my favorite, now not so much anymore

mesmer -> started as my least favorite, now my #3 favorite

necro -> couldn't get into it, now my #1 favorite

#2 favorite is the guardian, if you were wondering :O

for all those who said necro what weapon combo did you find the most enjoyable to level with from 1-40

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    for all those who said necro what weapon combo did you find the most enjoyable to level with from 1-40

I know the theorycrafting on Condition Damage builds and I may have to switch builds at 80, but I've been enjoying a minionless, condition damage build using Scepter/Dagger and Staff.

Originally posted by fiontar

I know the theorycrafting on Condition Damage builds and I may have to switch builds at 80, but I've been enjoying a minionless, condition damage build using Scepter/Dagger and Staff.

hmm ill check it out.. although my mesmer is running a condition build right now... might look into a more direct damage type build if necro has any decent ones for leveling.. i know most i have seen are for condition builds

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I went into the game playing as a Mesmer, which I thought I wouldn't like, but ended up enjoying it for the most part to 80.  Then it became very repetitive.  

Played ranger, and enjoyed it a bit,  but it also became repetitive.

Guardian was also fun, but lost its luster for me around the 50s...

I didn't originally like the elementalist in Beta because everyone was an elementalist... but it seems more people are doing guardians, warriors and mesmers now.

Leveled my elementalist to 80 and that seems to be my favorite so far.  So much more versatility.  I've played with a lot of builds including melee/conjure builds, burning builds, glyph builds, pet builds...  running mostly scepter dagger or dagger dagger, sometimes staff....   

So far its the only class that keeps me entertained.  

Originally posted by fiontar

hmm ill check it out.. although my mesmer is running a condition build right now... might look into a more direct damage type build if necro has any decent ones for leveling.. i know most i have seen are for condition builds

There is a lot of juggling and timing required for this build, which I like. Applying, spreading and transfering conditions keeps you a very active participant in every battle, which is what I like about the build. (Also making best use of forms). The other Necro weapons are more about DD and most builds make use of minions. If you like to have to maintain acute awareness of the situation around you and make a series of split second decisions, this is a good build. If not, I'm sure there are other good Necro builds, but this is a build I find very fun to play. :)