Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I hated the personal story...

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

But I stayed with it, and man was I wrong. GW2 puts these other MMOs to shame. By the end I was extremely impressed with the story and the events that unfolded. Very fun.

Comments

• jpnzjpnz SydneyPosts: 3,529Member

I personally hated it and while I did finish it for the sake of finishing it, it was really poorly done.

Not saying that as a subjective thing either. It was objectively bad in these two points.

1. Having loose ends at the end of Chapter1 and not actually mention it again? Even by my own char in the later stages of the story? That makes no sense, at all. Esp if you choose the 'lost parent' in your char creation.

2. Sudden shift in story focus.

The above is actually a direct result of the writing team not being in charge of the actual story. LOLWUT?

http://thepaletree.net/2012/05/15/writing-your-story-an-interview-with-the-writers-of-guild-wars-2/

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

I skipped all the story parts, I just liked how they worked in cool quests and combat sequences.

• ZhylawZhylaw Fort Lauderdale, FLPosts: 115Member
    Personal story was terrible, and it didnt get better. I think that was the worst part of the game actually. Its to bad because theres alot of great lore in the universe.
  • VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    I like the Asura line, and Tybalt... ah, Tybalt. I'd have a cold cider with that kitty, wake up in the gutter in Tijuana and have no regrets.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• eliteroelitero fremont, CAPosts: 263Member Uncommon
    Please a minute of silence for Magister Sieran T_T
  • saurus123saurus123 nonePosts: 570Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Volkon
    I like the Asura line, and Tybalt... ah, Tybalt. I'd have a cold cider with that kitty, wake up in the gutter in Tijuana and have no regrets.

yes that kitty should get an oscar :)

• ShrillyShrilly Citra, FLPosts: 376Member Common
    I personally think the story was horribly written after claw island. My guess is they were pushing for time and after claw island was like "well we were convincing enough now merge all the stories and make it even more lazy by having trahearne the spotlight that way there isnt a lot of focus on the main character so we dont have to do even more work." It was just a steady decline and i was following up until it got really boring and dull i just started skipping the scenes and doing it for exp. 
  • eliteroelitero fremont, CAPosts: 263Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by saurus123

yes that kitty should get an oscar :)

That apple trading kitty yes oscar please !

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    i enjoyed most races stories. i have'nt done them all or all paths.. some are more fun that others..  XP rewards are good and some mission are very difficult depending on class and at what level you do them.. I don't expect much from a MMO story to begin with so I'm more than pleasantly suprised overall in the presentation of it and how much there is of it.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• nastyjmannastyjman New York, NYPosts: 161Member

Personally, I enjoyed the "Personal" story aspect of GW2, the ones that were influenced by your choices in character creation. Kinda disappointed that I didn't get to see or know what happened to my father after I set him free in Black Citadel. Enjoyed the story until it wasn't a "personal" story anymore.

But I imagine if they went that route, it would take another year or two for them to release GW2. Fuhgeddabout it. Hopefully the personal story would get revamped or remade once an expansion rolls out. Wouldn't make sense if Zhaitan is still around.

• mikahrmikahr ZagrebPosts: 1,066Member
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    i enjoyed most races stories. i have'nt done them all or all paths.. some are more fun that others..  XP rewards are good and some mission are very difficult depending on class and at what level you do them.. I don't expect much from a MMO story to begin with so I'm more than pleasantly suprised overall in the presentation of it and how much there is of it.

Yah, its light, fun and non-obtrusive.

Dont think MMOs are genre where anyone should look for some ultra deep top stories. Go read War&Peace for that ;P

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc PinheiralPosts: 351Member
    i just cliked asap, was ... painfull..
  • PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,924Member Uncommon

Personal story... it did have some interesting points but unforutunately a lot of it was lack/luster or poor that it really drags the whole thing down. It becomes far to predictable as well the 2nd time through. The 'end' part with Orr itself is quite disapointing and kills any sense of redemption it could have for me. 

In short, I really feel they should of just kept the personal story as more background then flushing it out up front. Its like Diablo 3 or many action games. The story is poor but it can work as long as its not forced in your face, and if your looking to complete all the quests your going to have to do those missions and its going to rub into your face quite a bit. 

If I really want good story (at least for an MMO) I'd say SWTOR would be your best bet, ideally picking a class like infiltrator for a story or some of the better storylines. If your wanting a really good story, Single Player games will be the place to go for that.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets London, LAPosts: 212Member Uncommon

Yep, agreed. Garbage. I particularly hated the voice acting though I can only speak for the Asura. From the very moments the story started with the 'I embody genius' shite I visibly cringed and continued to cringe as the story went on. 

It's interesting this, as I made something akin to these comments when the game came out and I got flamed and roasted to high heaven by all and sundry, so I thought it must just be me.  

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,205Member Uncommon

I haven't done the Asuran line yet, but yeah, Tybalt - go to hell and back with that cat for sure.  The Norn story played like a bad Saturday morning cartoon series.  It was just way too campy.

The story is easy to pop into and out of when you feel like it.  I love that.

• fiontarfiontar Dana, MAPosts: 3,719Member

I've enjoyed most of the story lines I've played through. There are some examples of poor writing and poor voice directing here and there, but overall I really like it.

I do agree that the focus on Trahearne was a big mistaike and the obnoxious way that he was written and performed just made it a lot worse. Everyone I've talked to agrees that there is no way in Hades someone with that personality would ever be tapped to lead anything other than a pooper scooper brigade.

We do know that time constraits caused them to make major concessions on their original plans for the Personal Story, but they just made things worse than they ever needed to be by creating a character like Trahearne and making him the spotlight.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by Volenibblets

Yep, agreed. Garbage. I particularly hated the voice acting though I can only speak for the Asura. From the very moments the story started with the 'I embody genius' shite I visibly cringed and continued to cringe as the story went on. 

It's interesting this, as I made something akin to these comments when the game came out and I got flamed and roasted to high heaven by all and sundry, so I thought it must just be me.  

agreed to who? because OP said he very much enjoyed the story unless you just read the thread title.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VarthanderVarthander BarcelonaPosts: 471Member
    Arah story mode its probably enough reason to play all the story to the end, enough said.

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by Volenibblets

Now Bookah, I guess you didn't play EotN in GW1 or you would have known that is how Asurans are. Norns are boastful about glory and honor and the PS reflect that.

They are not perfect by any means but they get the point across.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• FromHellFromHell NY, NYPosts: 1,311Member

Agree with OP, played 3 days, returned the account for refund. The story and "cutscenes" were a joke, you can´t pull something like that off in 2013, unless you are NCsoft. Very "asian", not enjoyable sorry.

You know SWTOR was extreme on the story side, too much VO, not enough gameplay, and GW2 is the other extreme with story and VO not even worth mentioning.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by FromHell

Agree with OP, played 3 days, returned the account for refund. The story and "cutscenes" were a joke, you can´t pull something like that off in 2013, unless you are NCsoft. Very "asian", not enjoyable sorry.

You know SWTOR was extreme on the story side, too much VO, not enough gameplay, and GW2 is the other extreme with story and VO not even worth mentioning.

AHH - it is A.Net not NCSoft that wrote GW2 and they are located in Seattle, WA. You are clueless if you didnt know that.

Not asian at all - American.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

Originally posted by FromHell

funny how many people don't even read the OP.. why even bother posting if you can't take like 5 seconds to read a one small paragraph post... also how was it "asian" as you say in anyway shape or form?

• plutosamsplutosams Seattle, WAPosts: 49Member

Unfortunately, I felt the personal story was very poorly written including the ending.  I personally feel MMOs need to provide enough story to get you involved and invested in the world, but not overstep and decide your personality.  There were certain portions of the story that were well done, but as a whole the story falls flat.  The personal story was a major intrusion for most people who role-play since no matter what options you choose you become a "perfect" character.  I had a whole backstory and attempted to make choices in the beginning and throughout that were consistent, but the story still frustrated me.

Personally, I think the flaw with their method of writing is that they tried to create a compelling story and then filled it with flat uninteresting characters (Trahearne being the perfect example).  On top of that they made personal character choices for you, without regard to past decisions, race or history.  The only characters I have seen worth listening to were Tybalt and Sieran and hats off to whoever wrote those characters, too bad they got placed in a bland story.

All this being said, if they ever add a story line where you have the option of removing Trahearne I might take everything back just for that option.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO SomewherePosts: 1,326Member
    I sorta liked most personal stories, but they could have done a better job of putting it all together. The whole "you're now in an order and whatever you did before is now irrelevant" feeling didn't go down very well. The stories, missions on their own were decent to good, they just didn't blend all that smoothly into that one big personal story.

imageimage
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    I sorta liked most personal stories, but they could have done a better job of putting it all together. The whole "you're now in an order and whatever you did before is now irrelevant" feeling didn't go down very well. The stories, missions on their own were decent to good, they just didn't blend all that smoothly into that one big personal story.

think one of the issues is how it branches.. think they sacrificed a lot to allow lots of combination of branching stories instead of just focusing on a single core strong story to tell... it works better this way for me because makes alt playing more interesting