Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has faction lock made u lose intrest?

Comments

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

still gonna play it :3

im used to faction restrictions heh wow taught me that xD

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• LegendtriggerLegendtrigger Member Posts: 39
    No, i dont mind faction lock at all :).
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Only it if means the game feels as though there is no exploration to be had due to it. A definite try before buy for me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

I am more interested in the game due to faction lock.  I want to see something new, instead of the same old.  Faction lock fits perfectly with the mega server technology as they don't have to worry about PvP or PvE servers.  It is a game design choice tha isn't going to change, if you don't like it just don't play simple as that.

I loved the system in DAoC.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Being locked out of anything goes against the spirit of the elder scroll series.
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Being locked out of anything goes against the spirit of the elder scroll series.

You were always locked out in TES games.  You were restricted to Skyrim, did you not like that?

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by Dantae87

i for one am leening to yes, now not lost 100% , i will give the game a shot but right off the bat 75% intrest is lost due to this flaw....i do not see a intrest in a game where i cannot explore the world and am limited to a set area, in wich is brutally unrealistic. They have taken a HUGE aspect of what a MMO is by removing world exploration...for a company that said this game is focused on exploration this is the wrong direction. I would like to write my story the way i want it to be written, not locked to one place like "John lived in Daggerfall and never seen the outter world cuz it wasnt allowed..." cuz that sounds like a epic story alright....

ArcheAge cant get here fast enough....hope ESO dosnt kill off the Elder Scrolls series like how blizzard did to the Warcraft series because of WoW suscess...

P.S No im no ta noob ganker wolrd PvP lover...i just liked how WoW did it but dont liek WoW...so dont tell me to go back to WoW cuz it sucks now...

this guy explains my view exactly...watch it and see where us kind of ppl come from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCmveOvYXzo

This guy offers a good suggestion on what could have been done to address this issue at 2:40 in his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZxZH1L4eAw

The existance of DAOC proves this premise incorrect, infact may prove otherwise. as for Setting and emersion DAOC was very high to tops... so.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Iceman8235
    I don't mind not having the entire map to roam for pve, if anything I'd rather have it that way.  DAoC was the best gaming experience I've ever had and part of the draw was seeing enemies as real invaders from unknown lands.  A lot of the mystery would be lost if enemies could freely mingle outside of the open world pvp areas.

Spot on. They WERE real invaders from unknown lands. It was great.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

You were always locked out in TES games.  You were restricted to Skyrim, did you not like that?

That's a ridiculous argument (which I keep seeing) as what you were offered was the entirety of "Skyrim". There wasn't a "Skyrim" and a separate "Hammerfell" where you had to create a completely different character in order to access it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

i for one am leening to yes, now not lost 100% , i will give the game a shot but right off the bat 75% intrest is lost due to this flaw....i do not see a intrest in a game where i cannot explore the world and am limited to a set area, in wich is brutally unrealistic. They have taken a HUGE aspect of what a MMO is by removing world exploration...for a company that said this game is focused on exploration this is the wrong direction. I would like to write my story the way i want it to be written, not locked to one place like "John lived in Daggerfall and never seen the outter world cuz it wasnt allowed..." cuz that sounds like a epic story alright....

ArcheAge cant get here fast enough....hope ESO dosnt kill off the Elder Scrolls series like how blizzard did to the Warcraft series because of WoW suscess...

P.S No im no ta noob ganker wolrd PvP lover...i just liked how WoW did it but dont liek WoW...so dont tell me to go back to WoW cuz it sucks now...

this guy explains my view exactly...watch it and see where us kind of ppl come from:

This guy offers a good suggestion on what could have been done to address this issue at 2:40 in his video:

The existance of DAOC proves this premise incorrect, infact may prove otherwise. as for Setting and emersion DAOC was very high to tops... so.

DAoC was a good game, in its time, but it wasnt a popular game by any means, it was very much, a niche game.  There is a very good chance that by taking the path they have with ESO, that they will alienate the very people they are desperate to buy into this game, and if the game only attracts the kinds of numbers that DAoC did, then the game will be a failure, perhaps not a failure of epic proportions, but, not a game that i would put much in the way of odds on, for being around for any length of time. image

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

DAoC was a good game, in its time, but it wasnt a popular game by any means, it was very much, a niche game.  There is a very good chance that by taking the path they have with ESO, that they will alienate the very people they are desperate to buy into this game, and if the game only attracts the kinds of numbers that DAoC did, then the game will be a failure, perhaps not a failure of epic proportions, but, not a game that i would put much in the way of odds on, for being around for any length of time. image

All  MMOs were exteremly niche at that time including EQ.

Originally posted by SoMuchMass
    Originally posted by Phry

All  MMOs were exteremly niche at that time including EQ.

Yeah it was the second most played mmorpg a few months after its release... totally niche.  The fact is the player base was far smaller,  potential player base with computers that did more than wordprocess with the additional access to aol (w/e) were even that more limited. Furthermore, the game ... unlike EQ didn't really advertise. i remeber EQ games and posters in video game shops all the time , ohh ahh , a few copies of daoc in the back somewhere. 

Whats wow player base say what 11 million (idk what it is w/e) if a mmo came out and had 6.5-7 million player base for a few years would you call it niche ... ?

PS. edit - daocs graphics were very advanced for the time and the number of people on the screen as well as the SIZE OF STRUCTURES in the game were crazy very taxting game for that periord ... similar to aoc (tho much of aoc was bad design and code) But even the network req.s of daoc was rought my cousin has a 48 (or 32)k b not a 56k b modem he lagged (actual lag, where he is waiting on data to d/l the position of objects and players) in any area slightly busy. It was so funny and im talking like first few months. Today this is not even a reality for most game devs.

I would like to point out despite daoc crowning achivement being pvp ... its something you had to work for. Daoc was for the most part a pve game, a forgotten aspect. i ment most players in the first few year spent their times pveing, enjoying pvp on frequent occasion. Sure did some people level 1 character and stay in pvp forever after that ... NO Maybe liek a total 100 people did this and that seems liek a high guess. Alts were common server/side switchs were common.

AND HERE IS THE GOLDEN GOOSE OF DAOC EVERYONE FORGETS. When you were an alb for a few months, year, w/e; and then you rolled hibernia , your entire games setting changed, you classes changed, the sounds and sights all changed. it was amazing entertianing and what kept many of us who stayed or came back despite major basic issue with the game. (no tooltip info, class imbal... that no one cared to really address, (everyone remember zerkers, what about blademaster,,  what about albs.. shit what were they yeah mercs. {at one poitn merc tear it up tho}) etc.) .

- w/e i hope we get to see area music .. it was better than they high dynamic music of today.. when i want into a shanty town while questing i demand music changes :)

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Where's this "tes fans vs daoc fans" nonsense come from. I'm a fan if both. Many of these so called "tes fans" are fans of other mmos in disguise, its pretty obvious when you see their fix suggestions when they have more in common with wow, tsw, swg, EQ etc.. than they do tes.

Fact is tes single player doesn't have pvp (or group pve or raids or ecconomy) BECAUSE IT'S A SINGLE PLAYER GAME NOT A MMO.

So they had to either come up with something new for pvp or take an existing model. Imo an eve type model would fit tes better, but it would scare away all the carebears. Thank god they picked a good game to copy pvp off in daoc though. There's so many shit pc models they could have copied - wow (like everyone else), star wars galaxies, EQ, the secret world etc..

Try to understand, the problem with faction lock is the trouble it creates not in the idea itself.  SWtoR's storyline for example is a fine idea, but when you figure in the voice acting costs, the time/effort, etc it becomes apparent that for a fast lvling, themepark game its a nightmare to add more content at the pace that's needed to keep people around.

Bioware ignore the warnings and the game suffered because of it.  As a fan of ESO I want to see the game do well, so I am disappointed to see the devs so caught up in their own egos that they can't see the issues.

Faction lock means you either make 3 times the content or copy the content but use different skins, etc. Either way its bad.  Generating content is hard enough for an mmo without having to make 3 times as much. Coping is also bad because when people make alts (which you encourage them to do) they will clearly see the sameness.

MMO players can be a fickle toon oriented lot.  They like a race. They want to play that race.  Not just any race will do.  Faction lock means people have to play races they aren't happy with to be with their guilds.

Maybe guilds, instances, raids and dungeons won't be locked.  Maybe you can form a group and do a dungeon with anyone. I hope so, but I doubt it.

The point is, it will chase people away. An mmo needs players and a certain amount too. Otherwise Tera, TSW, and Tor (to name a few) could have continued to be sub with their small(relative) number of followers.  I am not saying make it so generic, so bland in hopes of drawing the most amount of people. What I am talking about is not going out of your want to make people go to another game.

For the health and future of the game we should all be asking the devs to see these problems and find a way to deal with them.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

This 100% game breaker.

thanks for sharing i m not going to buy eso

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Ryowulf
    Where's this "tes fans vs daoc fans" nonsense come from. I'm a fan if both. Many of these so called "tes fans" are fans of other mmos in disguise, its pretty obvious when you see their fix suggestions when they have more in common with wow, tsw, swg, EQ etc.. than they do tes.

Fact is tes single player doesn't have pvp (or group pve or raids or ecconomy) BECAUSE IT'S A SINGLE PLAYER GAME NOT A MMO.

So they had to either come up with something new for pvp or take an existing model. Imo an eve type model would fit tes better, but it would scare away all the carebears. Thank god they picked a good game to copy pvp off in daoc though. There's so many shit pc models they could have copied - wow (like everyone else), star wars galaxies, EQ, the secret world etc..

Try to understand, the problem with faction lock is the trouble it creates not in the idea itself.  SWtoR's storyline for example is a fine idea, but when you figure in the voice acting costs, the time/effort, etc it becomes apparent that for a fast lvling, themepark game its a nightmare to add more content at the pace that's needed to keep people around.

Bioware ignore the warnings and the game suffered because of it.  As a fan of ESO I want to see the game do well, so I am disappointed to see the devs so caught up in their own egos that they can't see the issues.

Faction lock means you either make 3 times the content or copy the content but use different skins, etc. Either way its bad.  Generating content is hard enough for an mmo without having to make 3 times as much. Coping is also bad because when people make alts (which you encourage them to do) they will clearly see the sameness.

MMO players can be a fickle toon oriented lot.  They like a race. They want to play that race.  Not just any race will do.  Faction lock means people have to play races they aren't happy with to be with their guilds.

Maybe guilds, instances, raids and dungeons won't be locked.  Maybe you can form a group and do a dungeon with anyone. I hope so, but I doubt it.

The point is, it will chase people away. An mmo needs players and a certain amount too. Otherwise Tera, TSW, and Tor (to name a few) could have continued to be sub with their small(relative) number of followers.  I am not saying make it so generic, so bland in hopes of drawing the most amount of people. What I am talking about is not going out of your want to make people go to another game.

For the health and future of the game we should all be asking the devs to see these problems and find a way to deal with them.

Not knocking your opinion, I just can't personally understand why someone would not want 3 seperate factions to play on. It's 3 unique experiences, and if anything helps the longevity of games. It kept me playing DAoC for 6 years because once I got tired of Albion, I moved to Hibernia, then Midgard, spending about the same amount of time in each. Each had their own distinct feel, I loved all 3 realms.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

Not knocking your opinion, I just can't personally understand why someone would not want 3 seperate factions to play on. It's 3 unique experiences, and if anything helps the longevity of games. It kept me playing DAoC for 6 years because once I got tired of Albion, I moved to Hibernia, then Midgard, spending about the same amount of time in each. Each had their own distinct feel, I loved all 3 realms.

Its becuase they haven't seen it done, so they are skeptical .. i understand. I hope ESO is not as quest driven as modern mmos, TEs games normally have a good deal of open world... this mean mob camps .. mob camps are easy and take very little resoruces to develop. You don't have design every visable area to have 5 quests with-in sight. That is why mythic could make three factions with areas each larger than the total size of most games. Instead the deisgned setting from area to area and with-in areas.

Hopfully we will finally see a successful hybrid system that allows solo quest play but also rewards grouping.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

I've completly lost interest.  From the moment the game was discribed as thempark (which in an ES game is sacrilige) by Bill Murphey, I lost interest.  Bill Murphey is fairly level headed, and always err's on the side of optimisim in reviews.  Even given some games better light than I personally feel that they deserve.  So for him to call a game Themepark means it is very much so a themepark.

On top of all of that, being faction locked just pisses me off.  The one major IP out of all great IP's that represents freedom in games is Elder Scrolls, and for god knows what reason they decided to place all of these hinderances on players to remove that freedom in their MMO.

Interest deflated.

Originally posted by ragz45

I've completly lost interest.  From the moment the game was discribed as thempark (which in an ES game is sacrilige) by Bill Murphey, I lost interest.  Bill Murphey is fairly level headed, and always err's on the side of optimisim in reviews.  Even given some games better light than I personally feel that they deserve.  So for him to call a game Themepark means it is very much so a themepark.

On top of all of that, being faction locked just pisses me off.  The one major IP out of all great IP's that represents freedom in games is Elder Scrolls, and for god knows what reason they decided to place all of these hinderances on players to remove that freedom in their MMO.

Interest deflated.

DAoc was techinically themepark i wouldn't mind that style at all. i wouldn't mind a quested themepark sat in a  sandbox... why don't people do this... it would be quest light .. ie you would want to grind or group at point to take on the next quests, but most of your advancement could be done questing solo ... but it would be more lucritive and fast to group and kill camps... be them zone or sandbox based.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    While I will still give this game a shot I have to say that I am getting burned out onhaving factions at all. I miss the days when all races could communicate with each other and could guild together and go wherever they could go. Hell, if they have to have factions let each one at the LEAST be able to communicate with the other or others. When someone from a rival faction stands there and hurls emotes at me, sure, it could be annoying. Now imagine if you could just type in your chat box and tell that chump to stuff it, that would be aces...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by Asariasha

While I understand that being limited in terms of exploration to the zones of the chosen realm, I think that such a limitation is the right design decision. The player is forced to decide on which side to play meaning that it generates what is called realm pride. It is a very strong mechanic in order to create a lasting identification to the realm (alliance) you chose to fight for and supports the creation of an avid community.

Being forced to make a decision always makes oneself feel uncomfortable, but to me this is of major importance. because. Community and the interaction between players actually is what makes you feel comfortable and "at home" in a MMORPG. It uses the bond between players of a realm and strong feelings aligned to that bond to fight for your and your realms interests.

Realm pride...

What if you have no interest in the PvP side of the game and just want to play a TES game with friends? If you have no interest in the conflict then this design choice is BAD. Seeing as how TES series are 100% PvE games choosing to make the onlive version Dictate to these PvE fans that they have to engage in the PvP design, no choice, no escape...and to top if off lock 2/3rds of the world off unless you make an alt....

Seriously?

omg.. this is like asking blizzard to make a server where alliance and horde are friends and u can visit ogrimmar while you are human. Seriously...?

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Its not that I think 3+ factions is a bad idea. Its good.  The probelms is the linguistics.  How its implamented.  Dev made content gets chewed though at a fast rate.  When its done people move on.  Having content that 2/3 of your players can't do, unless they alt is doing nothing but making more work of the devs. 

Lets talk about alts.  Not everyone is going to want to play every race.  That's pretty common.  For example, I play Asura and Charr on GW2. I can go to the human zone and do their quests. I can go to lower level zones and do quests.  Even so, I have still made alts with enough zone/quests I don't have to repeat to much if I choose not to. 

With ESO, I have to find a race I like in each faction (unless endgame is so great or my one faction has sooo much content I don't need to alt). If I don't, its one more reason not to stick around.  When I am alt'ing will I still be able to do things with my guildmates or do I need to level up with a new guild?

How about this.  I get to choose my faction and the land isn't locked.  Factions are based on political/social
    cues. Lets say I join the mages guild (or whatever they called it in Skyrim). I have a storyline to become a member.  I battle those who oppose us, which can changed based on dev events or player actions or whatever. 

This gives my the whole world to explore, except enemy outpost and the like.  If I got delevel'ed I'd have even more content.  It would give me lots to do, the freedom of choice and I'd still have faction wars.

• walltarwalltar Member Posts: 58
    If there will be enough content to go through then i couldn't care less. If i want to see other lands i'll make an alt. I am TES fan, but it is better to have faction lock than massive PVP everywhere. Because if you can go to enemy territory and you wono't be able to kill your enemies, that would be even more silly.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

It hasn't made me lose interest. But it's a really, really stupid concept for an Elder Scrolls game.

Dunmer and Argonian... and Nords. I just... what?!

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209
    Well with rift, did everyone just magically want to play races on the same side?

I'm remembering these arguments from tsw beta "i want to be a dragon, but my wife likes templars". Pvp sure ended up messed up in that game when it went live.

Yes, but importantly you were not locked out of joining each other in the game if you chose.

you were allowed to decide if you wanted to party with a Dragon or not. The game did not dictate your character for you.

"You, you MUST hate everyone not of your faction, you MUST NEVER go into any lands we don't own, YOU MUST THINK WE WE DO!"

That is essentially what locked systems do.  The only choice you have with your character is what race to join, or what faction you want to join, which dicates what races you are allowed to join, the rest, is decided for you from now until you leave the game.  You can't think for yourself because the developers have decided they want to think for you and hold your hand.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500

I dont mind factions. It all depends on HOW the developers execute balancing, etc. :)