Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Ready to Lift the Veil

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is ready to hit its beta phase of development, a long process since the original disastrous launch not many years ago. We've got a special preview from a recent event hosted by Square Enix. Check it out before heading to the comments.

Graphically, this is indeed a whole new world. Every aspect of the landscape has been given a makeover, some places to the point where you would not recognize them from their previous incarnations and they’re now much larger. The Morabay drydocks have gone from being some rocky cliffs backdropped by a large mass of water dwelling below them are now full of ivory platforms and bustling trade. Camp Tranquil now resembles a militaristic encampment rather than an overnight bonfire in the woods with the other cub scouts. And the Black Brush plains still have a tinge of that Arizona desert plains vibe, but now there’s much more color and plant life. Technical additions like lens flares, a larger color palette and fine details like fruit growing on plants in gardens hopes to make the make the world of Hydaelyn a more inviting place to play.

Read more of Blake Morse's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Ready to Lift the Veil.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I've got a stack of Gamestop gift cards just waiting to be spent on this title.

That way, if it still sucks, I won't feel like I wasted as much real money.

I am a LOT more curious though what their plans are for PS4 integration/compatibility.

With PS4 running on x86 AMD hardware, shouldn't be all too hard for them to put the PC version with the console interface on the PS4 right?

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Never played a single Final Fantasy title, just signed up for beta. Finnally giving it a go, we'll see =).
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    i cant wait. This is what FF14 should've been from the start and I'm looking forward to jumping in!
  • ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    When i saw that trailer with the dragon i thought to myself "ya i would pray too pray away everyone." Very beautiful game and it really looks like a title i would be interested in we will see hopefully they offer a trial before i start forking over a sub game. Also very interested in the cross platform play that is amazing and very revolutionary i have been wonderign when they would make ps3 a mmo experience to remember with friends great game to break the ice as far as i can see.

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    I'm on board, been waiting forever it seems
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I need into the beta or a free trial before I will consider this game again.

• dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Japanese just cant wean themselves off the god damn subscription model. I will only try i when it goes f2p when it will inevitably burn again because of the same mistake.
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

It worries me that this article doesn't mention much about the actual gameplay, which was really where the game took the biggest nosedive aside from the awful interface mechanics. I like the idea of past characters making appearances but I'm hoping they aren't banking on this as a way for players to overlook an overly flawed game.

The biggest problem with these games trying to "learn from WoW" is they do it in all the wrong ways. For example, they copy WoW's interface, graphics and themepark BS when in reality everyone should be copying the games minimal input lag, network stability and smoothness of combat.

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

others sites comment about FFXIV gamplay.. is MMORPG.com fault.

massively for example

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

The biggest problem with these games trying to "learn from WoW" is they do it in all the wrong ways. For example, they copy WoW's interface, graphics and themepark BS when in reality everyone should be copying the games minimal input lag, network stability and smoothness of combat.

A big reason that makes WoW gameplay so smooth is its extremely low poly model characters and environments and simple diffuse texture maps.  Heck, those were pretty low count models for the standard when the game launched several years ago.  Blizzard also has always had a very talented staff of texture artists that really add to the illusion of shape with those models. Those low poly models allows them to key in more animation frames that gives the combat such a fluid look.  The game just isn't a resource hog.  However gamers now a days want top of the line graphics which demands a lot of resources to render out.  PC now a days can handle a lot, but are still not affordable by everyone.  I think the one thing most devs are trying mostly to emulate from Blizzard is the accessibilty of their games to wider audiences.  If more people can play the game on their current computers, the more paying customers they will have.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by Ralstlin

others sites comment about FFXIV gamplay.. is MMORPG.com fault.

massively for example

Other sites review games, maybe this site never should again by your logic.

• SharessSharess Member UncommonPosts: 293

VERY excited about the new revisions done to FFXIV: ARR. So folks know we are currently recruiting people for our FFXIV: ARR chapter in our gaming community.

Tribe, we're a multi-gaming community that's been around for over 12 years, with active chapters in various games. Our WoW Chapter is currently recruiting to strengthen our 25-person raid team, our GW2 Chapter has recently reopened recruitment for the time, and our FFXIV: ARR chapter is recruiting for Launch/Beta.

I’ve been with Tribe since August of 2010 and have FULLY enjoyed my time during the different roles I have facilitated as a member, raider, officer, and leader. I origionally joined for FFXIV but since it's failings I moved onto other games with members within the community. Highly recommend folks check us out through our recruitment post below.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/forums/post/5577834/thread/377609#5577834

Sharess Dragonstar - Midgard
    Grievance is recruiting.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Anyone have a link or video on how they fixed this game?????? I would really like to see how they made it more in step with current MMOs.
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Based on past MMO with failed launches IMHO they were crazy to invest so much in to trying to make this work. Good Luck :)
  • Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97
    Hopeful.
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Hoping.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

"This seems a bit odd as most of the market is leaning towards the F2P micro-transaction model and it didn’t really do them much good last time around.."

oh ffs.. give it a rest eh? First off, no it dosent seem 'strange'. Over half the market is still sub based in terms of players, and it is waaay more then that in terms of payers. Plus look at what all the converted 'F2P' MMOs offer... oh yeah, a sub... It's enduring appeal is clear.

FFXIV will do just fine on a sub. It's far better to cater to the needs of a niche of paying customers than trying to appeal to the entitled squalling masses of 'F2P' and all the baggage they bring.

The revenue model *was not the issue* the first time round. It neither hurt them or hindered them. It had nothing to do with why the game failed for so many. Being F2P would *not* have made the game any better. It was irrelevant, so it not having it this time is not 'strange'.

Does every article on every sub game here have to continously include the mention of goddam F2P? It's not like you feel the need to wistfully wonder why every crappy original F2P title dosen't have a sub or consider that fact 'strange', despite the facts above.

Lets stop this lazy bubble thinking with regards to subs and cash shop gaming from the writters on this site and maybe we can stop writing these kind of repetitive posts (and also questioning the potential agenda at work around here).

• SharessSharess Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Anyone have a link or video on how they fixed this game?????? I would really like to see how they made it more in step with current MMOs.

Here is a good place to get some info/see some video of 2.0

[url]http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/massivelys-comprehensive-preview-of-final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm/[/url]

Hope it helps!

Sharess Dragonstar - Midgard
    Grievance is recruiting.
    Ignore... quoted wrong frikin post ><
    Originally posted by Vesavius

"This seems a bit odd as most of the market is leaning towards the F2P micro-transaction model and it didn’t really do them much good last time around.."

oh ffs.. give it a rest eh? First off, no it dosent seem 'strange'. Over half the market is still pure sub based in terms of players, and it is waaay more then that in terms of payers. Plus look at what all the converted 'F2P' MMOs offer... oh yeah, a sub... It's enduring appeal is clear.

FFXIV will do just fine on a sub. It's far better to cater to the needs of a niche of paying customers than trying to appeal to the entitled squalling masses of 'F2P' and all the baggage they bring.

The revenue model *was not the issue* the first time round. It neither hurt them or hindered them. It had nothing to do with why the game failed for so many. Being F2P would *not* have made the game any better. It was irrelevant, so it not having it this is not 'strange'.

Does every article on every sub game here have to continously include the mention of goddam F2P? It's not like you feel the need to wistfully wonder why every crappy original F2P title dosen't have a sub or consider that fact 'strange', despite the facts above.

Lets stop this lazy bubble thinking with regards to subs and cash shop gaming from the writters for this site and maybe we can stop writing these kind of repetitive posts (and also questioning the potential agenda at work around here).

Sure it should. The MMO market is changing. 15 bucks a month was worth it back in the day when a good chunk of that went to network/server cost. Games werre built from the ground up, now its down with tools that make dev cost and time go way down. People are getting smart and see that 15 a month is not worth it. Also MMOs cant keep up to content to player demands. So many people play 2-5 MMOs. Sub that many games? lol. Better off to go B2P or F2P and change for new content then try and get people to support 2-5 games. B2P and F2P games have proved they can make lots of money without a huge sub and games like DDO make about 5 bucks a month on average per player with their cash shop and do fine on profits. So why 15 a month? So I would sub for 5-8 bucks a month. Why a game out of launch is not going B2P or F2P in this market is down right silly. They are going to have to go down that road most likely to keep up and all the customers that have already paid get ticked when it dose.

Also if its not F2P or B2P I may not even try it, why? From what they have given in the past, I dont see if this game is worth my money. Give me a risk free way to try it and they would win more customers and that makes for a more stable community. Just saying!!!

oh ffs.. give it a rest eh? First off, no it dosent seem 'strange'. Over half the market is still pure sub based in terms of players, and it is waaay more then that in terms of payers. Plus look at what all the converted 'F2P' MMOs offer... oh yeah, a sub... It's enduring appeal is clear.

The revenue model *was not the issue* the first time round. It neither hurt them or hindered them. It had nothing to do with why the game failed for so many. Being F2P would *not* have made the game any better. It was irrelevant, so it not having it this is not 'strange'.

Lets stop this lazy bubble thinking with regards to subs and cash shop gaming from the writters for this site and maybe we can stop writing these kind of repetitive posts (and also questioning the potential agenda at work around here).

Sure it should. The MMO market is changing. 15 bucks a month was worth it back in the day.../snip

I am not interested in a discussion about sub vs F2P here, I am simply saying that the sub is still still very strong and every game dosen't have to have 'F2P' to be successful. The continual pushing of the sub as something'strange' is the point, when it clearly has an enduring place in the market here.

Also if its not F2P or B2P I may not even try it, why? From what they have given in the past, I dont see if this game is worth my money. Give me a ricks free way to try it and they would win more customers and that makes for a more stable community.

I am not actually against free trials of games, but you don't need to have 'F2P' to do that. I will also say that if you don't know enough about a game by launch these days as to it's quality of a game and it's suitability to you then maybe you should read a bit on the interweb before purchase. It's not like we are drowned in info, official and not so official, before launch these days or anything...

Sure it should. The MMO market is changing. 15 bucks a month was worth it back in the day.../snip

I am not interested in a discussion about sub vs F2P here, I am simply saying that the sub is still still very strong and every game dosen't have to have 'F2P' to be successful. The continual pushing of the sub as something'strange' is the point, when it clearly has an enduring place in the market here.

Also if its not F2P or B2P I may not even try it, why? From what they have given in the past, I dont see if this game is worth my money. Give me a ricks free way to try it and they would win more customers and that makes for a more stable community.

I am not actually against free trials of games, but you don't need to have 'F2P' to do that. I will also say that if you don't know enough about a game by launch these days as to it's quality of a game and it's suitability to you then maybe you should read a bit on the interweb before purchase. It's not like we are drowned in info, official and not so official, before launch these days or anything...

DDO, Neverwinter and GW2 has proved that F2P dose not need to be a low quality game. Trials dont do it for me. Here look at the first 20 levels and now buy my game lol. We MMOers know we dont know the game till we have lived in the elder game for at least a few months. Never seen a trial give a good picture of a MMO.

you then maybe you should read a bit on the interweb before purchase. It's not like we are drowned in info, official and not so official, before launch these days or anything...

I do sales for a living. I can package poop and make you want to buy it. Often devs can get over excited about their games, or lie and the end pakage seems good till you get to things like elder games. Even heard promis as of late of an entire expansion worth of end game content and there was no such thing at all. Sorry to many garbage games and I want a real test drive before I hand out money.

Gah... ignore as well... I hate these forums sometimes :P

Trials dont do it for me. Here look at the first 20 levels and now buy my game lol. We MMOers know we dont know the game till we have lived in the elder game for at least a few months. Never seen a trial give a good picture of a MMO.

oh boy... we got a freeloader here. You don't want to throw the company any money 'for months'? Months?

Look, maybe this game just isn't for you, and it's time to start looking at one that is?  I can't see SE missing your (non existant) revenue really tbh. They obviously just prefer paying customers at this point and I can't say I blame 'em

But look... what i wrote wasn't about you or your preferences. Can we stop putting you centre stage for a minute?

What I qrote was about the continous promotion of the sub as 'archaic' or 'strange' on this site, when clearly it is neither.

If we can get back on topic and not make it all about you for a bit I would be grateful.