Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

whats the deal wih comparing TESO vs archeage.

2»

Comments

• KoraoKorao Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by FallguyArmy
    Originally posted by Korao
    Originally posted by Godshelp12
    Originally posted by Celusios
    Just bloat Archeage some more. What you did not also add that is that it's pretty much class based and TAB target WoW spam 123 combat. That alone puts ESO at a HUGE advantage. No comparison imo.

Good god you're wrong on so many levels...

TESO is also Tab target.  And ArcheAge isn't "Choose a class" and listed.  It has 120 class COMBINATIONS.  You also aren't restricted on the type of gear you want to wear.

Oh my god... I had to register just to answer to you, because that post was just stupid. I'm waiting impatiently for both games, but at least get your facts right!

"TESO is also Tab target" Wrong. This is TES gameplay in a MMO, so basically, a 3rd or 1st person view like in Skyrim, left click is like your "main attack" and it attacks where you are aiming, there is no "target selection" with a mouse click or tab. Also, it bring TESO a "skill based" gameplay, because you have to MANUALLY dodge and block attacks, not some RNG doing it for you like in most games...

Unless they've updated the combat system, which I wouldn't be surprised if I missed the memo considering a bunch of their news articles are nothing but lore stuff, I'll have to go by what this fansite has to say:

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2012/10/combat-in-teso/

If you prefer a video, check this at the 2:40 minute mark: 

At first glance it seems like the combat system is similar to previous TES games, but take a closer look at when they mention soft and hard locks. Lock means target. Sure, it won't be TAB target since you don't press the TAB button, but the ultimate objective remains the same: you obtain a target, as opposed to free aiming. So until we get official news regarding the game's combat system, TESO remains target-based. Not tab target per se, but target-based nonetheless.

Yeah there is LOCKs, but if you ever played Guild Wars 2, you would know that doesn't affect your aiming. When I'm playing Guild Wars 2, I can be targeting (or locking if you prefer) someone, but my attacks still go where I'm aiming, some abilities are still "target based" in GW2, but this is another thing. (And another game)

Originally posted by Crynswind
    Originally posted by Yamota
    What? Did I miss something? Why would anyone compare a typical western WoW clone ThemePark to a eastern made, sandbox ThemePark hybrid?

I hope you're refering to Archeage as the WoW clone given it's pathetic combat. I mean if you even call that combat? lol. 

Just bloat Archeage some more. What you did not also add that is that it's pretty much class based and TAB target WoW spam 123 combat. That alone puts ESO at a HUGE advantage. No comparison imo.

TESO is also Tab target.  And ArcheAge isn't "Choose a class" and listed.  It has 120 class COMBINATIONS.  You also aren't restricted on the type of gear you want to wear.

Oh my god... I had to register just to answer to you, because that post was just stupid. I'm waiting impatiently for both games, but at least get your facts right!

"TESO is also Tab target" Wrong. This is TES gameplay in a MMO, so basically, a 3rd or 1st person view like in Skyrim, left click is like your "main attack" and it attacks where you are aiming, there is no "target selection" with a mouse click or tab. Also, it bring TESO a "skill based" gameplay, because you have to MANUALLY dodge and block attacks, not some RNG doing it for you like in most games...

Also, you can say "You also aren't restricted on the type of gear you want to wear." about TESO too...

That's why I'm "hyped" for TESO, awesome skill based combat, great World PVP and siege wars(DAoC RvR style). Also, the "no server" thing is quite promising if they can do it right. Also, with perks and having the choice to wear any armor/weapon you want with any class, "class combinations" are also BIG. Few examples already possible: "heavy armor character who's a tank with a bow", "mage using 2handed weapons" or "sneaky guy who run around healing people". Perks give infinite possibilities after that, like having werewolf powers, vampire powers, summoning powers... 

So in all, all your arguments are wrong. TESO isn't Tab target. TESO is also not a "choose a class and listed" since everyone is different. TESO also dont have gear restrictions...

Finally how it will goes at the end in my opinion, sandbox lovers will go to AA and PvP lovers will go to TESO since the entire game is around the Alliance War.

Back to OP question: AA just don't have the same amount of publicity and you don't really hear a lot about that game, even I didn't hear about it before like 5 months ago and that's just because the leading guild of my alliance (Titan Alliance)  in GW2 talked about it, being the next MMO they wanted to go to.

Another sane person, thank you. I don't know where some of these people get their little "facts" from. 

Combat means nothing if the game is a shallow wow clone gear grinder, just look at Tera.

TESO will be SWTOR 2, i mean it's just too obvious.

And really, combat is the most important thing in an MMO? "fun" (TESO combat doesn't look fun at all btw) combat will matter very little when you are bored of grinding gear in instanced dungeons for the 68# time.

AA: Housing, ship building and naval warfare, player made content, farms, pets, crafted based economy.

TESO: Instanced battlegrounds, gear grind, wannabe dumbed down action combat with 4 buttons to mash, GW2 meaningless zergfests, another casual themepark.

Haven't we been playing the later for 10+ yearS? boring, f2p in 6 months, the game has no chance, im sure it will launch as B2P because the retention would be worse than SWTOR's

I mean TESO might be good for the people who want to play an rpg for a couple of weeks, maybe a month or two, but AA is a whole different type of game, an actual MMO.

Who talked about a gear grinder? Btew, stop calling TESO a wow clone, TESO have pratically nothing from WoW, nowadays we call it a "GW2 Clone", which is 100x better I think. Combat or gameplay is in fact the thing meaning something in EVERY FUCKING GAME. You don't play a game if the gameplay sucks... well, if you do you are gaming wrong. As I said also, I'm a PvP Player, I don't like raids and dungeons, or whatever "gear grinding" you may call, I prefer when people are on equal power and the one having skills(the one "talented") will win. That is the way now with Guild Wars 2(Everyone have the same "stats", just lot of skins) and since TESO is pretty much a "GW2 Clone", I sure hope they take that road too, but for now we have no information about raids, dungeons and gearing, so you can't say that TESO is a gear grinding game.

Btw, I like your "Haven't we been playing the later for 10+ yearS? boring, f2p in 6 months, the game has no chance, im sure it will launch as B2P because the retention would be worse than SWTOR's", I can say the same about AA, I remember a game I was palying back in '97, it was a sandbox MMO... what was it called? Oh yeah UO... and recently we jsut got a new one (There have been many but not going to mention all of them), it was call Darkfall and it was a huge fail. So by your logic, we have been playing sandbox MMOs for the past 15+ years, so AA will be boring and has no chances? Be realistic man...

AA and TESO will be two great games, well I hope they will be good, but they are also very different games. Also, right now we don't have enough information of both those titles to start bashing on them, so just be patient and judge them when they will release. I udnerstand that you are already a "die hard" fan of AA even if everything in the game can change before the release, but don't go bashing other games, especially when you don't have any facts.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

AA and TESO will be two great games, well I hope they will be good, but they are also very different games. Also, right now we don't have enough information of both those titles to start bashing on them, so just be patient and judge them when they will release. I udnerstand that you are already a "die hard" fan of AA even if everything in the game can change before the release, but don't go bashing other games, especially when you don't have any facts.

One thing to note is that we do have CONSIDERABLE amount of info about Archeage since it is already released in Korea and there has never to my knowledge an NDA. So you literally have years of info/videos to see what you are in for whereas TESO we do not. IMHO the NDA is often an indicator of how good a product will be, a tight NDA might mean a shallow product.

To me is speaks volumes about AA that they are confident enough in their product to not implement an NDA.

• keygankeygan Member Posts: 237
    These are such different games to be able to compare to one another.
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    I agree instancing is terrible and rampant in most MMO's today, GW2, AOC, SWTOR all the Korean F2P lobby games etc etc.  So few open worlds being made, but will have to wait and see how good this gameplay turns out to be but they get props for not taking the easy development road, instancing.
  • NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    People are just getting antsy waiting. I never liked VS arguments. I think boith can do very well, and more MMOs the better I say.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by steelwind

I think the real question is when all these new Themeparks release and the 3-4 month ride is over, where will everyone end up? I think this time around WoW might not be the obvious choice. When 4 months in, Archeage players have barely scratched the surface of their game, TESO players will be begging for new content.

I personally believe that once Archeage releases, it will have a bigger impact than many realize. Players want something new and are tired of clones. Archeage gives them exactly that, something COMPLETELY different.

But as some other peopel on this site have said, they don't mind the churn. It seems that there are people who only want to play for a few months and then move on.

Not sure  if the developers will like this but there it is.

I know a guy who is kind of ADHD and switches games every couple of months.   The only game I remember him staying with for more than 3 months was City of Heroes at release.  At least he has a lot of fun!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KoraoKorao Member Posts: 3

One thing to note is that we do have CONSIDERABLE amount of info about Archeage since it is already released in Korea and there has never to my knowledge an NDA. So you literally have years of info/videos to see what you are in for whereas TESO we do not. IMHO the NDA is often an indicator of how good a product will be, a tight NDA might mean a shallow product.

To me is speaks volumes about AA that they are confident enough in their product to not implement an NDA.

Sure we have lot of info on AA right now, but it's all about the Korean version and sadly companies tend to change their product when it's a different product, because you know, western and eastern communities really don't want the same games. So what options we'll have and which we will not, or what "extra" thing that will change the game will be release for the western release? That is also a problem we've seen a lot in the past. So as I stated, many things can change between now and the officiel western release.

As for the NDA, I kinda agree with you tho, but it's normal that TESO is in NDA right now, it's not even in close beta, all we had right now is what developpers say and some (10-20?) who got invited for a special test, but they talked a lot of their experience even with certain things under NDA. So we'll see when the game will reach close beta.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by archeageking

Teso is instanced zone shard, with story and lore and instanced battleground and dungeon.

Archeage has complete freedom no restriction,s no instancing housing no instancing pvp or battleground, has story and lore. ITA GOT SWG housing in real time, no instances.

How many if you got tired of instancing and shards huh?

:p

How the heck is teso rated higher then AA is beyond me.

ESO is not instanced, it is zoned.  It has a storyline becasue all true RPG's utilyze some elements of a story to give a sense of background.  There are NO BATTLEGROUNDS in ESO.  PvP takes place i na fully opened persistent world zone in much the same was as DAoC's PvP took place in the Frontiers or GW2's PvP takes place in The Mists.  ESO is also the first MMO Triple-A MMO released in 8-9 years to feature fully explorable open world dungeons with an emphasis on old school dungeon adventures.  It doesn't have housing....yet, because they want the housing to be as good as the rest of the game and not jsut some after thought.

AA might look good to you but it has many elements of a game I find tedious, choreful and outright detrimental to longterm gameplay because it gives you all stick and not enough carrot.  AA is also an Asian themed MMO and the features of a sandbox do not appeal to a broad market audience because of those boring gaming systems put in place t okeep a player paying.  I consider things AA do is jsut as bad as raiding nad loot threadmills because at the end of the day they both accomplish the same thing....forced gameplay!  Which by its very nature is more restrictive then any thing a quality themepark brings to the table.

Then again you like AA, I like ESO so why even have this discussion.  You will nto change my mind nor will I change yours and at the end of the day everyone has their own tastes.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Ignorance is bliss.

ESO is not tab target, it is full featured action combat with a reticule and LMB/RMB combat.  ESO is also much more open ended because any class can wear any armor or wield any weapon.  A Mage in a robe with a 2H sword...you can do it.  A Leather wearing Magic Staff using healer...yup that too.  Or how about a Fighter class with heavy armor and a bow....another yup.  At the end of the day ESO offers me more freedom because I get to chose what to wear and what weapon to use as opposed to offering as you say 120 class combinations which firstly is a chore to balance and secondly at least 90% of them will be reskinned graphics and offer no substantive gameplay difference over another.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

What? Did I miss something? Why would anyone compare a typical western WoW clone ThemePark to a eastern made, sandbox ThemePark hybrid?

I hope you're refering to Archeage as the WoW clone given it's pathetic combat. I mean if you even call that combat? lol. 

Also, you can say "You also aren't restricted on the type of gear you want to wear." about TESO too...

That's why I'm "hyped" for TESO, awesome skill based combat, great World PVP and siege wars(DAoC RvR style). Also, the "no server" thing is quite promising if they can do it right. Also, with perks and having the choice to wear any armor/weapon you want with any class, "class combinations" are also BIG. Few examples already possible: "heavy armor character who's a tank with a bow", "mage using 2handed weapons" or "sneaky guy who run around healing people". Perks give infinite possibilities after that, like having werewolf powers, vampire powers, summoning powers... 

So in all, all your arguments are wrong. TESO isn't Tab target. TESO is also not a "choose a class and listed" since everyone is different. TESO also dont have gear restrictions...

Finally how it will goes at the end in my opinion, sandbox lovers will go to AA and PvP lovers will go to TESO since the entire game is around the Alliance War.

Back to OP question: AA just don't have the same amount of publicity and you don't really hear a lot about that game, even I didn't hear about it before like 5 months ago and that's just because the leading guild of my alliance (Titan Alliance)  in GW2 talked about it, being the next MMO they wanted to go to.

Another sane person, thank you. I don't know where some of these people get their little "facts" from. 

Combat means nothing if the game is a shallow wow clone gear grinder, just look at Tera.

And really, combat is the most important thing in an MMO? "fun" (TESO combat doesn't look fun at all btw) combat will matter very little when you are bored of grinding gear in instanced dungeons for the 68# time.

AA: Housing, ship building and naval warfare, player made content, farms, pets, crafted based economy.

TESO: Instanced battlegrounds, gear grind, wannabe dumbed down action combat with 4 buttons to mash, GW2 meaningless zergfests, another casual themepark.

Haven't we been playing the later for 10+ yearS? boring, f2p in 6 months, the game has no chance, im sure it will launch as B2P because the retention would be worse than SWTOR's

I mean TESO might be good for the people who want to play an rpg for a couple of weeks, maybe a month or two, but AA is a whole different type of game, an actual MMO.

Combat means everything.  and no it isnt obvious its a SWTOR 2.  SWTOR 1 was a horrible game because it was identical to WoW with no endgame.  ESO is identical to nothing but an amalgamation of critically successful gameplay elemets from other games while keeping the spirit of the IP intact and introducing new or rarely used gaming systems.  Much the same way GW2 did, which is also a critical success.

All those elements you list in AA are the exact sort of nonsense I dont play a game for.  Naval Warfare?  Farming and Pets?  Crafting only centric gear?  I play an MMO for single player mano on mano combat on land with my trusty sword.  I also do not need to play Farmville online, thats my wifes facebook game whic hoffers little appeal to me. Pets?  Didnt we get enough of Pokemon as a kid?  Crafting based economies?  sure why not take the actual incentive out of looting you kills to find that magical sword let me jsut hire my local crafter to make it.....BORING!

• rogue187rogue187 Member Posts: 151

so it does have a tab target...whatevs i say... game still looks good

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2012/12/targeting-in-eso/

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Combat means everything.  and no it isnt obvious its a SWTOR 2.  SWTOR 1 was a horrible game because it was identical to WoW with no endgame.  ESO is identical to nothing but an amalgamation of critically successful gameplay elemets from other games while keeping the spirit of the IP intact and introducing new or rarely used gaming systems.  Much the same way GW2 did, which is also a critical success.

All those elements you list in AA are the exact sort of nonsense I dont play a game for.  Naval Warfare?  Farming and Pets?  Crafting only centric gear?  I play an MMO for single player mano on mano combat on land with my trusty sword.  I also do not need to play Farmville online, thats my wifes facebook game whic hoffers little appeal to me. Pets?  Didnt we get enough of Pokemon as a kid?  Crafting based economies?  sure why not take the actual incentive out of looting you kills to find that magical sword let me jsut hire my local crafter to make it.....BORING!

It's ok dude, some of use like deep and complex mmorpgs, others like mindless pvp and shallow games where there is only combat combat and combat.

Enjoy your tab targett wow clone

• IrondustIrondust Member Posts: 29

I play an MMO for single player mano on mano combat on land
    Oh god, Blizzard, what have you done with industry...
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    Maybe some of us don't feel like playing an Asian Grindbox.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    AA had abit fo a following that was growing

Actually, AA's biggest mmorpg.com cheerleader rarely comes around any more. Maybe she got tired of waiting.

But I'd say it's the usual pre-release message board tussle. Fan of game A wants to spread the word about game A, which pisses off a fan of game B...because he wants game B to "win"...which pisses off first fan when he uses uncomplementary names...

Add salt, 5000 messages, and some simple trolling+topic grenades. Full-on pre-release war, exactly the same as every other game in mmorpg.com's history.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121

It's a hype meter, obviously the bigger more well known game will have more hype? I don't understand the confusion here.

It's Elder Scrolls vs an unknown IP, which do you really think will be more hyped?

Neither have really been tested/played by Western players, so at this point this is hype, that is all.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Look at games which are the most popular and rated as highest...GW, TSW,...

Which really doesn't prove much apart from "the buzz surrounding Jacobs only began about a week ago"? Your aware that the next release shuffles the list again, pretty much the same as always, right?

God, you made me visit this site's horrible "home" page, shame on you.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

From lurking on these forums for quite some time it is apparent to me that IP is in most cases the most important factor in a lot of players decisions. Take TESO for instance, when people hear that a familar IP is releasing they immediately think OMG Skyrim online I cannot wait without basing their hype on a feature set.

Personally for me when a new MMO is announced, the first thing I do is look at the feature set and base my hype on that rather than simply a name and existing lore. Granted I could give a crap about lore in ANY game if the feature set ends in another clone. This is where the hype with TESO baffles me, at the surface there isn't a single thing I feel is a completely original idea or does this title seem to have the ability to move the genre forward. Then you look at the Archeage feature set and it completely trumps EVERYTHING. So time and time again players consume these clone's content in a matter of weeks to months then complain about nothing to do. Maybe you would have known this would happen if you based your decision on what features would provide more long term satisfaction instead of simply an existing IP.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

From lurking on these forums for quite some time it is apparent to me that IP is in most cases the most important factor in a lot of players decisions. Take TESO for instance, when people hear that a familar IP is releasing they immediately think OMG Skyrim online I cannot wait without basing their hype on a feature set.

Personally for me when a new MMO is announced, the first thing I do is look at the feature set and base my hype on that rather than simply a name and existing lore. Granted I could give a crap about lore in ANY game if the feature set ends in another clone. This is where the hype with TESO baffles me, at the surface there isn't a single thing I feel is a completely original idea or does this title seem to have the ability to move the genre forward. Then you look at the Archeage feature set and it completely trumps EVERYTHING. So time and time again players consume these clone's content in a matter of weeks to months then complain about nothing to do. Maybe you would have known this would happen if you based your decision on what features would provide more long term satisfaction instead of simply an existing IP.

ArchAge doesn't trump anything, yet. We don't really know what will be in the final release coming to the US - that is the problem. Until we do, sit on your hands and wait.

All you are doing is adding to the HYPE.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    The Ford vs Chevy mentality runs rampid on this site.
    Originally posted by botrytis

ArchAge doesn't trump anything, yet. We don't really know what will be in the final release coming to the US - that is the problem. Until we do, sit on your hands and wait.

All you are doing is adding to the HYPE.

While we don't know what changes will occur via localization, since the game is released in KR and many are playing it, we do have alot of concrete information to base our hype on. Whereas in many cases I have to agree when a game isn't released yet, much can change.